Rumor: Lumia 940, Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do a 940 when the 930 just came out? To soon for a follow up.. If anything the next one will be a 1030 as that's due for a follow up

Isn't the Icon a year old? I mean considering that the 930 is basically just the international version of the Icon, it's time. Also, I didn't really see the 930 to be a 920 successor. On paper yes but it wasn't really a huge update.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

EXL

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
By the time this phone comes out anything that is not snap 810 would be a fail. What the 810 is going to be abel to do compared to the 805 specifically down the road will be big. This will keep wp down as people will see windows flagship outdated before it even comes out. Ever out phone by that time will be on 810 am not saying the wp needs all that to run great bit in the minds of people it will look as tho they still taking out second class phones.

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft released Phone Insider app for windows phone which will likely give us access for pre OS updates! Somewhat Windows 10 for phones! Prepare for Windows Mobile 10 guys! ;)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still interested to see what the heck is going to happen with RT...if it will be fully swallowed up by the Windows 10 mobile edition. I think they should just bite the bullet and do it.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the Icon a year old? I mean considering that the 930 is basically just the international version of the Icon, it's time. Also, I didn't really see the 930 to be a 920 successor. On paper yes but it wasn't really a huge update.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

How wasn't the 930 a true 920 successor?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for 1030

That's what I feel I'm interested more. As a big camera guy myself (relax, I have my big boy SLR's, not just a smartphone photographer ;)), I have always wanted a 1020, but couldn't as I'm on Verizon. That's another thing they need to do away with though. They NEED to stop it with the carrier exclusives. Microsoft is big enough to wear the pants and shouldn't be pushed around by the carriers. The exclusivity money will mean nothing to them. They need to get Windows Phones in peoples' hands.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
The one thing that I hope is completely inaccurate... that the 940 will be unveiled 6 months before we can actually buy one.

Microsoft was completely correct with the Band - keep it almost completely secret, spontaneously unveil it with news that it is also available for sale immediately. This is how you make a big splash and launch an exciting product. Teasing us with a new product that we have to wait half a year for completely kills all excitement and momentum, while showing your hand to the competition and allowing them to plan an appropriate counter-attack.

This should apply to Windows 10 for Phones as well. Please don't show the world all the cool features of WP10 6 months before we can actually use it ourselves. This allows Android and iOS to "mine" Microsoft's ideas, apply them to their own products, and release OS updates with these features before we can actually use them ourselves.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The one thing that I hope is completely inaccurate... that the 940 will be unveiled 6 months before we can actually buy one.

Microsoft was completely correct with the Band - keep it almost completely secret, spontaneously unveil it with news that it is also available for sale immediately. This is how you make a big splash and launch an exciting product. Teasing us with a new product that we have to wait half a year for completely kills all excitement and momentum, while showing your hand to the competition and allowing them to plan an appropriate counter-attack.

This should apply to Windows 10 for Phones as well. Please don't show the world all the cool features of WP10 6 months before we can actually use it ourselves. This allows Android and iOS to "mine" Microsoft's ideas, apply them to their own products, and release OS updates with these features before we can actually use them ourselves.

But. Remember all video game consoles. The companies release nothing until more than 6 months later, and they are successful in that. MS just needs a strategy like that. The only problem is that you'd have to continually trickle info into the wait time.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I cannot thank your post enough for saying this! *cough cough* BlackBerry 10. Such a boneheaded move. WHO RELEASES A SUPER BOWL COMMERCIAL FOR A DEVICE THAT YOU HAVE TO WAIT 3 MONTHS TO BUY???????? Sorry, I could go on. Still annoyed lol

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But. Remember all video game consoles. The companies release nothing until more than 6 months later, and they are successful in that. MS just needs a strategy like that. The only problem is that you'd have to continually trickle info into the wait time.

That might be what happens with video games where there are realistically only 2 (maybe 2.5) viable competitors and they all have the same plans. Won't work in the phone market.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
seems like apple way. Their conference, Their new Os, Their new device(no sd). Hope ms will adopt annual os update strategy.

All I can really hope for with updates is if Microsoft pushes out updates directly and doesn't go through the carriers. That sure would be nice.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
All I can really hope for with updates is if Microsoft pushes out updates directly and doesn't go through the carriers. That sure would be nice.
Well if you are talking about the official update then I'm afraid you must wait for the carrier first(except for iPhones, since Apple blackmail carriers into releasing the updates on schedule) However I don't understand why it takes so long for unlocked devices to get an update.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. I don't see why they can't treat WP updates like Windows PC updates. HP, Dell, Acer, etc all don't hold back updates.... Yeah not exactly the same thing, but still, I see no reason why carriers need to hold off updates to make sure they work to their satisfaction.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I don't see why they can't treat WP updates like Windows PC updates. HP, Dell, Acer, etc all don't hold back updates.... Yeah not exactly the same thing, but still, I see no reason why carriers need to hold off updates to make sure they work to their satisfaction.

It's so they can preinstall their own mediocre apps to the build

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How wasn't the 930 a true 920 successor?

1. I'm on AT&T and couldn't upgrade to it, while the 920 wasn't on Verizon, meaning Icon users couldn't upgrade FROM it.
2. No IPS LCD = no Glance

It was mostly a technological improvement on the 920, but it was a logistics disaster for U.S. Windows Phone users, since it went to the anti-Microsoft carrier who did little to properly promote it, and pulled it from rotation after 9-10 months.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. I'm on AT&T and couldn't upgrade to it, while the 920 wasn't on Verizon, meaning Icon users couldn't upgrade FROM it.
2. No IPS LCD = no Glance

It was mostly a technological improvement on the 920, but it was a logistics disaster for U.S. Windows Phone users, since it went to the anti-Microsoft carrier who did little to properly promote it, and pulled it from rotation after 9-10 months.

I definitely agree that it was a disaster that it wasn't something released across the board. I've been preaching forever that Nokia (now Microsoft) needs to cut the sh!t with all the carrier exclusives, and with a lot of people here even saying that the exclusives were a good thing. Putting all the carrier stuff aside though, the 930 is definitely a true successor to the 920, and that was my point. I wasn't bringing carriers into it, just purely phone vs. phone. On a side note though, I hardly think that the lack of Glance is something that prevents the 930 from being a true successor to the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss