Rumor: Lumia 940, Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
"so Microsoft may reportedly opt for the same kind of chassis for the Lumia 940. Other features of the Lumia 940 include NFC and built-in storage options of 32 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB. It is interesting to note that the handset won?t feature the currently available Windows Phone 8.1 OS. Rather, it will be rolled out with the new and unannounced Windows Phone 10 OS."

Jimmy-Fallon-and-Elmo-Dancing.jpg

Maybe this is premature to celebrate, but I'll be dog gone if I'm not going to at least celebrate this story in the wake of all the garbage from (google) kantar and their mules planting tombstones around my phone of choice.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
no, the reason is to actually put up a fight without spec nuts calling it the slowest phone ever because of whatever reason. (ooooh its snapdragon 800 not 801!!!!!! needs moar GHZ IT LAG)

Because 20 is a greater number than 8.7, and 24 is in turn greater than 20

This is actually really funny, because MS is going the way Android is going, and not the way Apple is going (where Apple has a better business model because they don't have 100 OEMs making something based on their platform). MS has started in the specs war because that's all Android people know in their mobile space.

I was comparing my Nexus 5 to my Lumia 925, and it was pretty interesting.

1. Despite the lower res, the screen is so much more beautiful on Lumia.
2. The stock camera app opens nearly as fast as the google camera app.
3. Photos app loads quicker on 925.
4. Contacts app opens just as quickly as on N5, which is surprising considering our contacts app is a whole hub of multiple things.
5. Small things like dialler, settings app, Here maps, Messenger, etc. open at the same time on both devices.

All of that is interesting to me considering that N5 has more than twice the hardware power of the 925, so I am assuming that the 930 beats it in performance easily. Microsoft doesn't *have* to chase specs, they are forced to. 16MP on the same sensor they're going to be shoving 24MP on would give much better quality. Which is why they went with 8.7MP when 13+MP were getting common. The 'moar RAM MOAR GHZ PLS' thing is so pointless in WP.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I simply don't buy this. The 805 is a year-old SoC, though releasing underpowered/outdated SoCs into flagships has kind of been the go-to move for Windows Phone since it launched. Gorilla Glass 4 seems unusual, just because it's not an officially released product. Finally, the 1/21 announcement would seem really weird if this isn't a spring release, because making people wait 6-10 months would be a killer to any hype. Plus, anything after spring, and the 810 is into the competing devices and probably killing it on battery life AND performance, thanks to the big.LITTLE architecture inside.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my last comment. How many phones with S805 are in the market right now? A couple of flagships? The only one that does one better is 810 on the LG Flex 2. No one will take you seriously here with those comments. Windows Phone runs better on S400 than Android does on S600, so your argument is pretty much invalid.

"underpowered/outdated hardware"... good Lord... you people.

And GG4 is a launched product. The Note 4 and Galaxy Alpha that were available months ago were using it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe,but if it comes with different sizes like 64gb and 128gb I wont miss micro SD one bit but I never seen Microsoft release any phone with different size options ,hope so

I'm with you there. I manage very well with 32gb and I promise you if I had 64gb I wouldn't bat an eye. 128gb and still whining about microSD to me and for me is flat out bratty behavior.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you there. I manage very well with 32gb and I promise you if I had 64gb I wouldn't bat an eye. 128gb and still whining about microSD to me and for me is flat out bratty behavior.

I have to agree with you there. Although I've got a 635, the SD card slot lets me "choose" how much storage I want. The budget phone allows me to get "something" until I can afford the amount of storage I want, and I can upgrade that amount of storage in the future if I want. Well, not since I've already maxed it out, but that's another thing.

If a phone already has the choice of 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, then you don't need to buy a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB SD card. It's built in, which will be better performance than the SD card. Whiners gonna whine though. I'd probably choose the 64GB model and be quite happy with it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the same phone with only different memory sizes... better to offer SD with say 16GB base memory and the user selects. Cheaper too not having product variants.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the same phone with only different memory sizes... better to offer SD with say 16GB base memory and the user selects. Cheaper too not having product variants.

But a lot of folks prefer having the built in. For high end, have different sizes. Low end is where they can go with a low internal storage with option for a microSD

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping Microsoft will announce a new Windows 10 Mobile phone that will be shipping on January 22nd, and it will have an 8-core, 2.8GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage, all possible sensors to be able to get the job done, and a 52+MP camera that has a 1.75" sensor, and will sell for only $99.99 unlocked and off contract, with all carrier frequencies for all countries including frequencies for 4G LTE, and no carrier exclusive crap.

4.7" screen size for me, please! (That's my sweet spot for my hand size.)

Yeah, $99.99 MSP, with Amazon, Radio Shack, or someone having a pre-order sale if you order it on the 21st, you get it for $39.99, limit of 10. I'd buy 10. ;-) And sell all but 2 on the 22nd, for a profit of course.

Anyone else want a deal like that? Yeah, I know it's not going to happen, but as long as we're making up what we think we're going to see happen, might as well have a good time doing it.

jorden vanmeensel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people argue about the fact that Windows Phones (most of the time) are underpowered. That is just a fact! I know that WP runs smooth on low-end hardware NOW, but maybe not in the future. Just look at the "Hey Cortana" feature that only runs on high-end processors due to the fact that old processors just can't keep up with the new updates. Maybe WP doesn't need the high-end hardware now, but the future does. If you spent 600 dollars on a phone off-contract (which is the way to go here in Belgium), you expect that the phone will run for at least 2 years!

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
My expectations are lower. I would jump to buy a 1020 with updated CPU and 64gb of storage and Windows 10. Maybe 10% slimmer and lighter with 4.75" screen. That should be doable given the fact that the 1020 was released a year ago. Oh and it has time traveling capabilities.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what the future holds,
but i believe that they have a few surprises for us.
I don't know what, but early last year MS and Canon had a few things together concerning patents.
Canon is wel known with there printers and camera's,
wel a printer in a smartphone is not so brite so we can rule that one out,
so what stays is the camera.
Keep that in mind, and that with all the camera apps they developing.............
I wouldnt be the least surprised when they come with a killer camera in the next generation phones.

For storage, well more mega pixels and higher quality video's needs more storage.
So 32 or 64 GB wouldnt soon be enought, the limited storage in the cloud is the same thing.
But you can always pay for extra storage in the cloud..........keeps the money going.
Of course you can back them up on a pc or what ever, but we are creatures of habit and people are quite lazy.
That's one end, the other end is that they are going for larger storage,
64 or 128 Gig but that makes the phones to expendable for the mainstream market, so they leave the option open for extra storage like Sd cards.
I for one think they go for the last solution.
The problem is speed, SD cards are well known that most cards can handle fast video recording for a long period of time.
Solution for that is to save video to the phone memorie first and copy it later in the background to the sd
so speed is no longer a issue then.

Maybe not this year, most stuf is stil a legacy from nokia.
But soon they are bringing out 100 percent fulbreed microsoft phones.
Thats the moment they wil drop full suport on the older lumia's ( what is already hapening with some wp8 devices with the denim update ), they simply dont have a choice, move up or move out.
When 64 bits cpu is going to be mainstream its finished for this generation Lumia's, except for some miner updates.

So the future windowsphones are going to be completely different of what we have now.
My guess is that the next gen highend lumia's going to have 3 or 4 gig ram, 128 gig storage,
64 bits octa cpu and is a 20mp cam mainstream just like 5 mp selfie cam.

But not in this year ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb