Lumia 1030 Rumoured Specs!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just check the AdDuplex statistics regularly. And from the more expensive devices the "market share" of the 1020 has always been similar to that of other devices in the same price range.

So... I just looked at the AdDuplex data myself for Jan 2015.

Not to burst your bubble and everyone else but the 1020 doesn't even make it into the top 10 phones and guess which one, after two years is still there? The L920. What is the L920? A good all round flagship. L930 and L1520 are not even in the top 10.

That's why they should release a good flagship. Because that's what the majority of people want.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I take any bet they will. ;) It's as much a niche device as the 1520 is, but it has its fan base. And it's huge.
Eh, Big screen are the "it" tech spec at the moment. I do not believe there are that many people in this community or in the Android/Apple community that will buy a (4.5inch, 41mp, 2gb of ram 1080p screen) 1030, over lets say a (5inch, 20mp, 3gb of ram, 1440p/2k display) 940 or a (4gb of ram, 2k/4k display, 20mp)1530. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So... I just looked at the AdDuplex data myself for Jan 2015.

Not to burst your bubble and everyone else but the 1020 doesn't even make it into the top 10 phones and guess which one, after two years is still there? The L920. What is the L920? A good all round flagship. L930 and L1520 are not even in the top 10.

That's why they should release a good flagship. Because that's what the majority of people want.

And that's what they certainly are going to do, no doubt. Well, you should've also taken a look at the statistics of 2014. The 1020 was in there every single month, including December. And even then it was only like 1.2% or so behind the 920. Which is still great for a niche device. But WP, and especially Nokia have always been about variety. Even Microsoft serves this strategy with their niche devices (selfie device for example). I have little to no doubt that we'll see a successor for the 1020.

Eh, Big screen are the "it" tech spec at the moment. I do not believe there are that many people in this community or in the Android/Apple community that will buy a (4.5inch, 41mp, 2gb of ram 1080p screen) 1030, over lets say a (5inch, 20mp, 3gb of ram, 1440p/2k display) 940 or a (4gb of ram, 2k/4k display, 20mp)1530. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Considering when the 1520 was released, it was still a niche device. The fact that phablets are becoming more common now is imho mostly because of Apple having released the iPhone 6+.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
And that's what they certainly are going to do, no doubt. Well, you should've also taken a look at the statistics of 2014. The 1020 was in there every single month, including December. And even then it was only like 1.2% or so behind the 920. Which is still great for a niche device. But WP, and especially Nokia have always been about variety. Even Microsoft serves this strategy with their niche devices (selfie device for example). I have little to no doubt that we'll see a successor for the 1020.

Considering when the 1520 was released, it was still a niche device. The fact that phablets are becoming more common now is imho mostly because of Apple having released the iPhone 6+.

I think the last couple of devices released from MS have been Nokia devices in progress and were just released to get some return on engineering costs.

I hope, and I mean hope, that MS doesn't follow the same strategy as Nokia. It's not an efficient or effective one. I know it's the model that Nokia always used but in this day and age and with all the issues around carrier exclusives it's done nothing but confuse the hell out of people.

I'd rather see a fleet of 4-5 phones and one niche device. That would be good enough. World wide coverage. End of story.

However, going by MS's release strategy so far, everything will be US first and the rest of the world will have to wait a year.... in which case they'll lose market share... (sorry a that's a bit of dig) :p

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the last couple of devices released from MS have been Nokia devices in progress and were just released to get some return on engineering costs.

I hope, and I mean hope, that MS doesn't follow the same strategy as Nokia. It's not an efficient or effective one. I know it's the model that Nokia always used but in this day and age and with all the issues around carrier exclusives it's done nothing but confuse the hell out of people.

I'd rather see a fleet of 4-5 phones and one niche device. That would be good enough. World wide coverage. End of story.

However, going by MS's release strategy so far, everything will be US first and the rest of the world will have to wait a year.... in which case they'll lose market share... (sorry a that's a bit of dig) :p

I'm with you, seriously. MS needs to focus on just a couple of devices. Maybe 2 low end, 2 mid end, 2 flagships and one niche device like the 1020. No matter what strategy they choose, I'm still convinced there'll be a new 1020. If they were to ditch niche devices completely, there wouldn't have been any HoloLens for example. Or do you think it's gonna be cheap enough to be selling like hot cakes? :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't even consider any of these alleged specs important. There's no mention of the SoC, which is the main complaint I've had against everything from Microsoft and Nokia since the 920 launched. Everything else is basically ho-hum spec-matching against what has been released in the past by competitors or Nokia/Microsoft itself.

Realistically, this thing is supposed to launch mid-2015, at the earliest. That lets the next Samsung and HTC flagships drop, and they're almost guaranteed to roll with the Snapdragon 810 and its 3 GB of RAM. The 1030 has to match that, or t. 2 GB of RAM means it's probably the older 805, which would be more than a year old (maybe as old as 18 months, depending on the 1030's actual launch) when it dropped. It would be the same old story of an underpowered device, and Microsoft would be missing out on the big.LITTLE power benefits at the same time.

The 32 GB of RAM is just a standard flagship amount for Lumias, really. The 50-MP sensor is probably just picked because it's more than the predecessor and a round number. The rest sounds like guessing at the obvious--Gorilla Glass 4 will likely be standard at that time, microSD support up to 128 GB is commonplace even now, 5" devices are the recent size standard for upper-tier Windows Phone devices (and even many lower-end ones).

Nothing is sourced. Nothing is intriguing. Nothing about these alleged specs screams anything more than guessing at the obvious.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you, seriously. MS needs to focus on just a couple of devices. Maybe 2 low end, 2 mid end, 2 flagships and one niche device like the 1020. No matter what strategy they choose, I'm still convinced there'll be a new 1020. If they were to ditch niche devices completely, there wouldn't have been any HoloLens for example. Or do you think it's gonna be cheap enough to be selling like hot cakes? :)

HoloLens is a great thing but unless they do it right it will be another RT...

WP suffers from three things. Developers ignoring it, consumers ignoring it because point one and carrier exclusives. Fix those three things and WP will do a lot better.

We can only hope that W10 will get developers interested but we have no idea if they will be. It's a big question mark.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It still doesn't mean anything. Where did they get the info from? Also, MS said later this year for phones. The bloody preview isn't until February do you think they're really going to release a phone by March with W10?

You forget, Windows 10 can fix anything! :winktongue:

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Any new flagship phone from Microsoft needs to have USB type C.

Also, didn't see anything on wireless charging. I want that too.

I don't know what a USB type C is, but if that is the support to read micro USB drives it would be really cool. Some Older nokia phones had that.
As for wireless charging... Even if it's not specified yet, i think it will have it. All newer/better Lumia's have QI standard. I love it on my 930, using on my wireless charger power bank :love:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what a USB type C is, but if that is the support to read micro USB drives it would be really cool. Some Older nokia phones had that.
As for wireless charging... Even if it's not specified yet, i think it will have it. All newer/better Lumia's have QI standard. I love it on my 930, using on my wireless charger power bank :love:

USB Type C is the reversing type connector. In other words you don't need to worry which way you plug it in.

Qi appears to be the standard whether they can include it built in is another question.

As for USB on the Go, MS appears to be ignoring this. Some people want it, some don't. It's one of those things.

Posted by my Nexus 7

Last edited:

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
If it is later this year, then it might actually come with WP10 �� Thanks for clearing the C type out. Would be nice to have that :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If it is later this year, then it might actually come with WP10 �� Thanks for clearing the C type out. Would be nice to have that :)

We don't know the plans at this stage but I think a good flagship would be more beneficial than a niche device. That's my two cents worth anyway. Nothing wrong with a niche device and it will probably come, but I think a good flagship and phablet should be first.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We don't know the plans at this stage but I think a good flagship would be more beneficial than a niche device. That's my two cents worth anyway. Nothing wrong with a niche device and it will probably come, but I think a good flagship and phablet should be first.

There'll definitely be a flagship phone. And a flagship specced 1520 successor too hopefully.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
When I visited a few Verizon store this week, they keep talking about some cool new Windows Phone coming out soon, so keep my fingers crossed!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers