Samsung testing Windows Phone 8.1 for new 2015 handsets

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
A report out of Korea on Monday (due to the difference in time, the work week has already started in the country), says that Samsung is currently in the process of testing the stability of Windows Phone 8.1 in order to release cheaper Windows Phone powered handsets in 2015. According to an unnamed Samsung official working on the project, "Samsung has run pilot programs on the stability of Windows 8.1 software on devices. It is interested in promoting Windows mobiles."

spideymaniac

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Could it compete with budget friendly Lumias? Even though Samsung say that it's a cheaper WP, feels like it's gonna be phone with mid/high price low specs..

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering whatever happened to their Tizen project.

Theory: they were counting on the Android Compatibility Layer from OpenMobileWorldWide who just can't deliver. Now the Windows/Phone combined App ecosystem looks way better than starting from scratch and they want back in.

It's been years and the OMWW website still says ACL for Tizen is coming soon. God this empty braggart company (OMWW) really grates my cheese.

spideymaniac

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering whatever happened to their Tizen project.

Theory: they were counting on the Android Compatibility Layer from OpenMobileWorldWide who just can't deliver. Now the Windows/Phone combined App ecosystem looks way better than starting from scratch and they want back in.

It's been years and the OMWW website still says ACL for Tizen is coming soon. God this empty braggart company (OMWW) really grates my cheese.

Probably they'll scrap it like they did with Bada OS, lol

Personally I think it's kinda too late for Samsung if they try to introduce new OS to the market, they already established a well known ecosystem and name, I mean, people know Samsung with the Galaxy name, and most people will think 'Wth is Tizen? Is it Android or something else?' Etc etc

Why don't they just release a flagship with Tizen OS instead they release it in low end phone, perhaps they don't want to take a risk

Imo though, btw I remember that Tizen can run Android app, is that true?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
See my above post. It was to depend on ACL by OpenMobileWW. I don't think they can code their way out of a wet paper bag. OMWW's site still has the Tizen version marked as coming soon and they have been on that status since 2012.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I want a new Sammy flagship. I wanted the ATIV SE on AT&T.

I am cheering for a Samsung return to high end for Windows 10.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sick of this budget device, stuff. Bring on a Galaxy/Note. I'd love a Note 4 running Windows Phone. Especially if Microsoft doesn't have a Flagship on AT&T til end of the year.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I see why some would like that, but I personally have never needed a removable battery - and as long as it's got 16gb of storage I am set.

A note would be cool!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My GF just got the Note 4...if it ran Windows I would go out an buy one tomorrow.

I know Samsung wants to push S Note and whatnot, but if they did a Windows version of the Note 4, optimized for Office - I think you have a killer phone there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12