03-29-2015 02:12 PM
65 123
tools
    Samsung made that crap up to promote their chip. XD
    03-24-2015 02:08 PM
    The 810 is confirmed use for an MS phone this year. There is little chance the masses will allow MS to wait for the 820. The expectations are for high end gear for late summer or early autumn.
    03-24-2015 06:35 PM
    Depends on who you ask for the heat issue. Neither the LG Flex 2 and HTC One M9 are having heat issues, as noted by the writers of Android Central.

Who knows though, maybe they're going Intel. We'll have to wait and see.
    I'm not familiar with Android Central reviewers, but I generally only trust reviews written by journalists with engineering/cs backgrounds when it comes to these kind of topics. I should have clarified by running hot that it no longer seems uncomfortably hot to hold, but this is because it is throttling.

From anandtech:
    "SoC performance is a mild improvement over Snapdragon 805, and a significant improvement in GPU over Snapdragon 801. However, it’s definitely alarming at how small the differences are when Snapdragon 810 is placed in a phone, and it seems that the thermal output of the Snapdragon 810 is high enough that sustained tests end up placing it somewhere around the range of the Snapdragon 805 in CPU-bound tests."

and

"This is really the first generation to my memory that actually regressed on battery life in our benchmarks, which is concerning for any device with a Snapdragon 810 SoC. It may be that this is just HTC’s problem, but given that HTC has generally managed to do well at extracting maximum battery efficiency from previous platforms I’m not sure if other OEMs will be able to improve the situation here."

There is a part two so maybe something could happen between now and then, but they were using a fresh firmware update for the first part of their review.

Last edited by Grimlock; 03-24-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    920Walker likes this.
    03-24-2015 09:25 PM
    Sure, If they make a surface phone/phablet.
    03-25-2015 07:42 AM
    I'm not familiar with Android Central reviewers, but I generally only trust reviews written by journalists with engineering/cs backgrounds when it comes to these kind of topics. I should have clarified by running hot that it no longer seems uncomfortably hot to hold, but this is because it is throttling.

From anandtech:
    "SoC performance is a mild improvement over Snapdragon 805, and a significant improvement in GPU over Snapdragon 801. However, its definitely alarming at how small the differences are when Snapdragon 810 is placed in a phone, and it seems that the thermal output of the Snapdragon 810 is high enough that sustained tests end up placing it somewhere around the range of the Snapdragon 805 in CPU-bound tests."

and

"This is really the first generation to my memory that actually regressed on battery life in our benchmarks, which is concerning for any device with a Snapdragon 810 SoC. It may be that this is just HTCs problem, but given that HTC has generally managed to do well at extracting maximum battery efficiency from previous platforms Im not sure if other OEMs will be able to improve the situation here."

There is a part two so maybe something could happen between now and then, but they were using a fresh firmware update for the first part of their review.

It's quite telling that the performance drops considerably when installed in a phone. I would be looking at the packaging requirements to make sure that heat dissipation is being properly addressed. When there are mutual conflicts, form should always follow function.
    Laura Knotek and sleeve22 like this.
    03-25-2015 09:33 AM
    Man, that is a shame about the heat and battery life. I hold Anandtech as the real geek site to be respected.
    03-25-2015 04:37 PM
    I really don't want a 810 in my next windows flagship. Please Microsoft avoid this chip!
    03-26-2015 02:22 PM
    I really don't want a 810 in my next windows flagship. Please Microsoft avoid this chip!

I don't care what's in it as long as it runs fast and efficient and is available for T-Mobile as well as other carriers.
    03-26-2015 02:43 PM
    Are there many other options? The flagship will be released before the 820 is released.
    03-26-2015 03:23 PM
    MS will get no real market share unless app situation gets better. They have same problem as blackberry and will focus on enterprise for now.
    03-29-2015 10:40 AM
    Whose expectations?

The whiny crowd here who call themselves WP fans?

Not a chance. The only way it would, is if the phone somehow morphs to be about 4 different sizes, has 16 GB RAM, 3 TB storage, 82 MP camera (front & back), bulletproof screen, etc.
    Chuck Finley69 and sleeve22 like this.
    03-29-2015 10:48 AM
    Difficult for them to fix that part though. They can't make people/companies create apps.

If MS creates the app for them, then other companies may expect the same.

Undoubtedly, there is an app issue. And it is not a quantity thing, it is about quality, and about the top apps. They need the top 100 Android/IOS apps. The Snapchats, the Instagrams, the facebooks etc.

To be honest, the attitude of most of those companies would cause me to consider making my own version all in one thing. The Snapchat/instagram thing is surely child's play to replicate. Same with that Whatsapp thing. Surely they could add all of those things into Skype.
    03-29-2015 10:59 AM
    This is my point exactly. I'm primarily a blackberry user but I bought a Nokia 635 for Microsoft aspect specifically and $50 was dirt cheap for phone. I can't help but notice that ecosystem problem is hampering both OS market share.
    03-29-2015 01:13 PM
    Windows 10 Integration
    03-29-2015 01:21 PM
    For me, the integration of W10 is a big draw. I just bought a new laptop with 8.1 on, and it has dragged so many bits over that I am hugely impressed. My passwords, my favourites etc. W10 universal apps are a great idea.

Then you add the flagship phone in to the mix, and I will be a happy shopper. I'll be honest, I am setting my sights in a sensible range, so I shouldn't be disappointed. Qi wireless charging is an essential. A 1080 screen, with 2 or 3 GB RAM. An 810 Snapdragon. inside. 20MP camera with a top class sensor. Front at 5MP with a wide angle. A 5.1 inch screen and a 2800 battery. Capacitive buttons, not on screen. As you can see, they don't have to go much beyond what they already offer in other phones (735,930,1520).

To be fair, it is difficult for me to believe they will offer less than the above specs. If they want to exceed expectations, then they can add:
    a bigger battery
    3GB RAM
    Snapdragon 820
    Some fancy Iris scan.
    03-29-2015 02:12 PM
65 123