04-29-2015 04:40 PM
61 123
tools
    I thought Apple released every year.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-16-2015 10:17 AM
    04-16-2015 11:12 AM
    I seem to think that MS had already confirmed that the phone OS would come after the PC one. They certainly have stated that any flagship will follow later.
    04-16-2015 11:38 AM
    I seem to think that MS had already confirmed that the phone OS would come after the PC one. They certainly have stated that any flagship will follow later.
    Microsoft has historically released new Windows versions in October. Will it be different with Windows 10?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-16-2015 11:46 AM
    Even if the flagship Windows Phone is released at the same time or after the new iPhone, customers can't compare side-by-side if the Windows Phone is in the back of the store. The iPhone always gets premium placement at the front of the store where the customers see it as soon as they walk into the store.
    Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    But guys this is MICROSOFT NOW NOT NOKIA if Microsoft really wants and cares about having their flagship in the front on display at the ATT store, then they'll make it happen..This is no longer Nokia Lumia... Microsoft has power and by power I mean money... which in a lot of ways is power...lol
    04-16-2015 06:11 PM
    But guys this is MICROSOFT NOW NOT NOKIA if Microsoft really wants and cares about having their flagship in the front on display at the ATT store, then they'll make it happen..This is no longer Nokia Lumia... Microsoft has power and by power I mean money... which in a lot of ways is power...lol
    Realistically, only Apple has that kind of power over carriers.

04-16-2015 06:21 PM
    The thing is, there's more markets than just the US. And whatever MS does/doesn't arrange with for example, ATT, I'd hope there's a number of Americans who buy handsets without visiting glitzy stores. There certainly is elsewhere.
    Quite how MS sways overseas and non-contract customers is something they seem to struggle with. One day they may crack it. But not anytime soon, especially without something "wow" to wave from the top of a flagship mast. Heck, they don't even a have a flagship to fix a mast onto.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-16-2015 06:41 PM

All that "power" hasn't stopped Verizon and att removing their apps from the S6. Microsoft has no influence whatsoever over US carriers.
    Laura Knotek and JohnStrk like this.
    04-16-2015 07:02 PM
    All that "power" hasn't stopped Verizon and att removing their apps from the S6. Microsoft has no influence whatsoever over US carriers.
    And Samsung doesn't seem to have much power over US carriers either.

04-16-2015 07:07 PM
    They say summer, so my guess is June 31 at 1:00pm GMT. (Yes, I realize that date doesn't exist.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-16-2015 07:40 PM
    Since we are looking at any time from August to December, I'm wondering if they will try to one-up apple and release just before, or just after Apple comes out with whatever is next for them... Doesn't apples new phone generally come out around the end of October?
    New iPhones are usually released before the end of September. At least, that's how it's been the last four years.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-20-2015 08:02 PM
    Microsoft doesn't have any more power over carriers than Nokia did, and I'm not sure why you think so. Microsoft has poured billions of dollars into Windows Phone and what do they have to show for it? Minuscule market share. Apple is the only OEM that can make carriers bend over and accept whatever terms they put forth. Why? Because they have a proven track record of success.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-20-2015 08:13 PM
    Had a discussion with my contact at MS today who is on the WP team...best guess is October.
    04-21-2015 04:32 PM
    Well, as long as it is right, I can wait until then. I gad assumed August/September for the PC launch. Then September/October/November for phones. I do almost wish they would wait fir the 820 Snapdragon to be ready. But I think that the delay would lose a vast amount of consumers.
    04-22-2015 02:52 AM
    Then September/October/November for phones.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK
    They may well hit "holiday season" for the US, but if you're in the UK, it might be more of a Valentine's Day timescale.
    04-22-2015 02:58 AM
    No way they would treat the Motherland so poorly! I really need it to hit this year. Although, my 920 is still running well.
    04-22-2015 03:04 AM
    I honestly don't think MS cares about a flagship device anymore and are more than happy with budget devices.
    04-22-2015 03:09 AM
    Might be there no 1020 successor?

Lumia 740, Lumia 840, Lumia 940 and Lumia 940 XL in works

Perhaps MS started again after Nokias McLaren project failed and there won't be any real flagship camera this year...
    04-22-2015 05:46 AM
    I honestly don't think MS cares about a flagship device anymore and are more than happy with budget devices.
    There will 100% be a flagship. The have confirmed it officially and unofficially.
    04-22-2015 08:36 AM
    There will 100% be a flagship. The have confirmed it officially and unofficially.
    I thought they committed to more devices, but no specific mention of flagship devices. Hurrah for another set of anonymous budget/mid-rangers!
    04-22-2015 06:08 PM
    I thought they committed to more devices, but no specific mention of flagship devices. Hurrah for another set of anonymous budget/mid-rangers!
    Yeah, they have confirmed that a flagship will come with W10 for phones. They have also stated that it is coming after the desktop launch. Sadly, I think any flagship will just miss out on an 820 Snapdragon.
    04-23-2015 12:55 AM
    I think they are going to try for someone completely new with the flagship.

They need to make waves and a high end Lumia won't be enough. This is where I think the surface phone makes sense even if it isn't branded as surface. The surface found a niche and this new phone can probably fill a similar niche.

If I were them I would spend as much time on the marketing and positioning as i would on the actual device.
    04-23-2015 07:52 PM
    My guess:

If we'll see new models this week they'll be available a month later, just like most other models released. Because of that they'll come with WP 8.1.

Launching new models this week and make them available when W10 is finished would be a paper launch, and I don't think MS wants to do that. There's really no point in waiting. MS sells much more units now than a year ago, launching a 940 now (or last month) would be perfect for them.

Dunno if we'll see see a 1040, but if we do, maybe it will show up with the W10 launch?
    04-27-2015 05:39 AM
    I doubt there will be a proper announcement at build. But they may hit at new devices coming. There will certainly be some trickle news in the next few weeks. I mean off the record hints that find their way onto WC et al.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-27-2015 03:01 PM
    Here's my take on it:

- Ideal situation: Summer around June/July
    - More realistic situation: September or further since Microsoft wants to bundle new phones with W10 straight away
    - Sad and stupid situation: November/December, it's bye bye Microsoft for some by then.
    Laura Knotek and peachy001 like this.
    04-28-2015 12:31 AM
61 123