07-22-2015 06:03 AM
48 12
tools
    In the US, Lumia sounds too much like Lumina, which was a dumpster fire Chevy. I side with the Surface crowd, it's a more recognizable name especially with the attention it gets from NFL games and the pre-game shows.
    04-22-2015 10:47 AM
    I completely agree with this statement. Lumia is not a recognizable name in the US with the mainstream. Bringing the Surface name to Windows Phones would be a good move for brand recognition. You could have a flagship Surface Phone Pro for example and I think it would a better ring to it and stick with the consumers' minds. Especially if they advertise it.
    And on top of that the 940,950,960 scheme isn't good because what happens after 990..lol 1000,then the phone just entered another class..these are phones not car engines, or or tv remotes...we need simpler branding
    highgear56, N_LaRUE and a5cent like this.
    04-22-2015 10:49 AM
    I'll side with the Surface name as well for the flagship and let the Lumia name work for the mid to low ends with the numbers.

It makes sense from a product standpoint and from their new 'One Windows for all' scheme.

Either that or go with the Windows One or something like that.
    nohra and a5cent like this.
    04-22-2015 11:39 AM
    I would love to see it not have "phone" in the name. Especially if they go "Surface" route, since the Surface Pro is already abbreviated as SP3. I'm not a fan of the Surface name, but if it's recognizable by non-Windows fans then that is a plus. I never hear people talk about anything Microsoft (at least not in a positive way), so I just don't know how well-known it is.

I guess I could see a Surface/Lumia lineup where entry-level products have just numbers after the brand, while upper-level products have a Letter/Number denotation. So premium surface keeps "Pro" just because it's accepted and known as Pro now. A 'mini' Surface gets T for tablet (rather than mini, to keep from appearing to be a ipad mini knockoff). Surface phones get M (for mobile) along with X (for large screen) and C (for super camera).

Entry level computer: Microsoft Surface #
    Premium computer: Microsoft Surface Pro#
    Tablet: Microsoft Surface T#
    Entry level phone: Microsoft Lumia 4##,6##,8##
    Entry level phablet: Microsoft Lumia 6##xl, 8##xl
    Premium phone: Microsoft Surface M#
    Premium phablet: Microsoft Surface MX#
    Premium cameraphone: Microsoft Surface MC#

I dunno. Thankfully I'm not in charge of creating a good name for a mega-corporation's product lines, I'm just in charge of critiquing their names LOL!
    Last edited by nohra; 04-22-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    04-22-2015 12:29 PM
    I would love to see it not have "phone" in the name. Especially if they go "Surface" route, since the Surface Pro is already abbreviated as SP3. I'm not a fan of the Surface name, but if it's recognizable by non-Windows fans then that is a plus. I never hear people talk about anything Microsoft (at least not in a positive way), so I just don't know how well-known it is.

I guess I could see a Surface/Lumia lineup where entry-level products have just numbers after the brand, while upper-level products have a Letter/Number denotation. So premium surface keeps "Pro" just because it's accepted and known as Pro now. A 'mini' Surface gets T for tablet (rather than mini, to keep from appearing to be a ipad mini knockoff). Surface phones get M (for mobile) along with X (for large screen) and C (for super camera).

Entry level notebook: Microsoft Surface #
    Premium notebook: Microsoft Surface Pro#
    Tablet: Microsoft Surface T#
    Entry level phone: Microsoft Lumia 4##,6##,8##
    Entry level phablet: Microsoft Lumia 6##xl, 8##xl
    Premium phone: Microsoft Surface M#
    Premium phablet: Microsoft Surface MX#
    Premium cameraphone: Microsoft Surface MC#

I dunno. Thankfully I'm not in charge of creating a good name for a mega-corporation's product lines, I'm just in charge of critiquing their names LOL!
    I doubt they have any interest in making a notebook..the point of the surface tablets are to be a tablet and laptop
    04-22-2015 01:19 PM
    "The Microsoft Lumia Flagship powered by Windows 10 for Phones." It rolls right off the tongue.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-22-2015 03:07 PM
    All it seems that MS does is have some product inspector walk into the office to inspect the finished product and sign off on it. And whatever time of day or night that happens to be, the cat looks at his watch and BOOM, the phone gets its number name. It is cleaver the first 4 phones but to make it a standard is flat lazy. It needs to quit.
    04-22-2015 03:20 PM
    I doubt they have any interest in making a notebook..the point of the surface tablets are to be a tablet and laptop
    by notebook I meant the Surface as it is, although I realize it isn't a fair label even though they tout it as replacing laptops rather than being one. I edited my original entry to correct this!
    bo_woods likes this.
    04-22-2015 04:29 PM
    I think it should go

Microsoft Surface
    Microsoft Surface Pro

Microsoft Surface Phone (main flagship and it should already have the best camera on a phone so no need for a specific camera version)
    Microsoft Surface Phone Pro (same phone, just bigger screen and battery and should come with n trig pen that can be stored in phone)

Budget phones should just stay lumia and and only be sold on budget carriers in U.S, and everywhere in third world countries as normal..Lumia should be treated like a completely different line of windows phones..targeted at best value for price instead of cool features and specs like surface phone

In fact it would be nice to see Lumia drift off to become it's own phone OEM not under Microsoft making quality budget windows phones everywhere while Microsoft makes Surface Phones each year or maybe instead oif being COMPETELY on it's own Lumia can be like cricket wireless who is owned by AT&T, and simply stay under Microsoft's control and influence but just stay away from being closely related in the public eye, where consumers wouldn't even know that lumia is by Microsoft...This way Microsoft is still getting success hardware wise AND software wise in the budget world ,while also having a strong premium phone brand

Just My Opinion
    Last edited by bo_woods; 04-22-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    nohra and highgear56 like this.
    04-22-2015 05:09 PM
    Nothing to do with phones, but I thought this was interesting and slightly relevant

I read recently due to the Lincoln Continental's concept buzz, they're considering naming their newer cars with actual names and words all together and abandoning the whole letter/number thing German companies use.

Even some car manufacturers are starting to realize the "alphabet soup" naming model is tiresome. I hope Microsoft would think the same regarding their phones. At least their flagship anyway. Because to the average consumer, they may know a Moto G and where it stands, but they won't have a darn clue what a Lumia 735, 930 or 1020 are whatsoever.
    RJ Priest likes this.
    04-22-2015 06:26 PM
    I always think latin is good for names
    i have had the malum spurius for a ship name in dnd
    the uss ignavus in star trek online

so how about the praenimis (in reference to the possible price) :)
    04-22-2015 07:50 PM
    I really hope Microsoft doesn't just name another flagship "Lumia [insert 3 or 4 digit number here]"

They need a name that will stand out and be recognizable. They need a name to help build identity, like the "iPhone", or "Galaxy".

Does anyone else agree?

It'd also be nice to name it referencing something in the Halo series since Cortana is with the OS.

Also, it shouldn't be carrier exclusive and it needs some advertisement.
    They bought the Lumia name for a reason and it is not to minimize its relevance in favor of something else. As for grabbing some name from an online game, that will hardly draw in gamers anymore than Cortana has and it will not attract the corporate customers who will likely major or break the platform. Comparison to Galaxy and iPhone is also a definitive chicken and egg scenario. The names did not make the products hot sellers - the products made the names identifiable.

There is nothing wrong with Lumia nor with a sequential number. In fact, the only current exception has been a definitive sales failure (Icon). It is the platform that must attract people. If it is a desirable product, they could name it Fred and it would sell. If no one wants it the name is meaningless. Kin was actually a clever name and there are few bigger commercial failures in the smartphone era.
    sahib lopez and xandros9 like this.
    04-22-2015 10:13 PM
    Nothing to do with phones, but I thought this was interesting and slightly relevant

I read recently due to the Lincoln Continental's concept buzz, they're considering naming their newer cars with actual names and words all together and abandoning the whole letter/number thing German companies use.

Even some car manufacturers are starting to realize the "alphabet soup" naming model is tiresome. I hope Microsoft would think the same regarding their phones. At least their flagship anyway. Because to the average consumer, they may know a Moto G and where it stands, but they won't have a darn clue what a Lumia 735, 930 or 1020 are whatsoever.
    Like the Ford Mercury Merkur XR4TI It was literately the dumbest name for a car and it lasted less than 4 years before it was pulled. lol. (Ask me how I remember that name)
    fatclue_98 and xandros9 like this.
    04-23-2015 01:47 AM
    Like the Ford Mercury Merkur XR4TI It was literately the dumbest name for a car and it lasted less than 4 years before it was pulled. lol. (Ask me how I remember that name)
    Ok; how do you remember that name? ;-)
    highgear56, Jazmac and xandros9 like this.
    04-23-2015 10:25 AM
    They should have kept it as the Ford Sierra along with the Cosworth engine. Instead we get the Merkur name and the modified Pinto motor. Let's talk 80s Fords, I think I owned every one of them at one point including the rare '85 LTD LX with the 5.0 CFI.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    nohra and xandros9 like this.
    04-24-2015 12:01 AM
    "The Microsoft Lumia Flagship powered by Windows 10 for Phones." It rolls right off the tongue.
    "The Microsoft Lumia Flagship powered by Windows 10 Mobile."* fixed
    04-29-2015 11:37 PM
    I think Lumia S/X/Z/L (whatever letter MS would choose) will be better than "940" or "940 XL".

Lumia S and Lumia S Pro sounds good and it has more recall than the numerical thingy naming
    My thoughts exactly. 940 XL seems too clich for Extra Large. Really.. is it fat or something. There is much more to it than a bigger screen.
    How about something new
    Lumia Prime
    Lumia Legend
    Lumia Alpha

Next release Lumia Legend II, Lumia Alpha II, etc
    06-30-2015 09:07 PM
    Surface doesn't make sense on a phone as much as it doen'st make sense on a giant display like the Surface Hub.

They did with the Hub, they can do it with phone.

The last piece of the puzzle.

Surface 4/Pro/8/Mini
    Surface Phone also Max, Mini, XL.. whatever.
    Surface Hub

Portfolio done. Sell like hotcakes.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-03-2015 05:48 PM
    I think they should just call it "Lumia".

Microsoft Lumia.

Short and simple. Recognizable name with good track record. Sounds modern and beautiful.

If they make 2 sizes (and they should)...like 4.3" and 5.5". Then call them Microsoft Lumia "something".
    07-05-2015 01:03 PM
    Well it seems that we can't agree on a name so just combine the two name then. :-)
    Surface Lumia
    07-15-2015 04:03 AM
    Well it seems that we can't agree on a name so just combine the two name then. :-)
    Surface Lumia
    How about Lumia Surface Deluxe, or for short.... Wait....
    Last edited by someone2639; 07-15-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    07-15-2015 04:13 AM
    I think it should go

Microsoft Surface
    Microsoft Surface Pro

Microsoft Surface Phone (main flagship and it should already have the best camera on a phone so no need for a specific camera version)
    Microsoft Surface Phone Pro (same phone, just bigger screen and battery and should come with n trig pen that can be stored in phone)

Budget phones should just stay lumia and and only be sold on budget carriers in U.S, and everywhere in third world countries as normal..Lumia should be treated like a completely different line of windows phones..targeted at best value for price instead of cool features and specs like surface phone

In fact it would be nice to see Lumia drift off to become it's own phone OEM not under Microsoft making quality budget windows phones everywhere while Microsoft makes Surface Phones each year or maybe instead oif being COMPETELY on it's own Lumia can be like cricket wireless who is owned by AT&T, and simply stay under Microsoft's control and influence but just stay away from being closely related in the public eye, where consumers wouldn't even know that lumia is by Microsoft...This way Microsoft is still getting success hardware wise AND software wise in the budget world ,while also having a strong premium phone brand

Just My Opinion
    Agree, surface phone and surface phone pro. Co-enside with the tablet lineup. North americans will figure it out quicker then. They (americans/Canadians) equate certain brands with quality, no matter what the actual product is. cough "apple" cough. Surface is becoming one of those brands, but actually delivering the goods, so it only makes sense to piggy back off that name for the phones!
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    07-18-2015 08:42 AM
    I for myself can't help and realize that everybody just freaks out and drools about the name "Surface".
    Why is that?

Think about the naming of the Surface and Surface Pro.
    Why is the Surface a Surface and the Surface Pro a Surface Pro?

The Surface Pro has Profressional Specs - It's not about the Size - it's about the power the thing packs.
    So to reflect everybody's wish with a Surface Phone / Surface Phone Pro:
    It won't work. You cant name a larger version of a phone "pro" to be similar to Surface and Surface pro.

Nobody will get why the bigger phone is "pro" and the same sized tablet with more punch is "pro".

Remember:
    Keep it simple!
    Don't just think the next Flagship. You need to keep in mind that you have to stick with the name for a long time.
    Surface Phone pro 12 sounds stupid.
    You can not just slap a badge on it and then increase the number it has.

Microsoft Lumia is fine for phones.
    If you think Microsoft should stick to Surface:
    What was the original Surface? It was a Desk!
    Why should MS not stick to Xbox?
    Xbox is "gaming" - that is the exact reason why MS changes the name of Music to "Groove" - it was confusing and not sticking in the heads of the people!
    You aren't expecting to name the Microsoft Band "Microsoft Surface Band" in the future, do you?
    Every "Brand" name stands for itself (Except the Surface HUB wich is a bit awkward but I can unserstand the name comes from the old "PixelSense" (Maybe they should've used some name like that to identify it's purpose :D)

Surface is Tablet (powerful)
    Lumia is Phone (Brand is recognizable form Nokia times)
    Xbox is console / Gaming
    Onexyz is a Product (Cloud solutions / Everywhere - OneDrive - OneNote etc.)

The real gripe and "hate" the Lumia name creates is the real crap numbering.
    I got my Lumia 920 as it was new and got a 1020 a year after that. Now I look at the website for phones like 640, 640 XL, 640 LTE, 535, 630, 635 - it's absolut wank.

The numbering was at the beginning: Small number equals small phone and / or power.
    Big number meant flagship.
    The two-digit number was to seperate from the 710 / 810 which were the Windows phone 7 phones - so that is fine.

Take a german car manufacturer BMW for example:
    You have numbers 1 - 7 for the LINE and the numbers after that for the type of engine in your car.

MS should completely axe through the numbering and build them from ground up.
    Use 3 numbers for your phones
    First number: Phone Series
    Second Number: Phone Generation

So you get for example:
    Microsoft Lumia 100
    - Entry level Phone with "regular" specs for everybody who just wants to call some people and check Whatsapp once a day

Microsoft Lumia 200
    - Business phone with good battery life and some specific specs like Dual SIM so you know it's a business phone.

Microsoft Lumia 300
    - Flagship phone with superb specs to fulfil everybody's wet dream of a High-End phone with excellent specs and metal casing or even something like Titan (just exaggerating here to let everybody know that Flagship means top end)

(Let's stick to three because MS wants to release 3 Devices a year)

Now we go on 4 years into the future.
    Then we could have something like:

Microsoft Lumia 130
    Microsoft Lumia 220
    Microsoft Lumia 330
    You can see I said Lumia 220 - Maybe MS decided that the Lumia 210 was so good and everybody was happy with it, that they did not needed to refresh the business series after a year again - who knows.

As you can see, you can stil clearly differentiate between the numbers and everybody knows that Series 3 is Top end and when people see you have a 330, you have a top phone which just came out today.

IF some phone like the 1020 enters the ring again as a "Feature phone" or a "camera phone" then you could go up again with the 1.000 numbering system to clearly show that it is different from all three phones and as soon as you see a four digit number, you know it's exotic and something completely different with some sort of specialty to it.

And IF everybody hates the XL Tag (I myself am not a big fan of it, too) you could just use the last remaining digit.
    Keep the "xx5" series as an alias for XL - and explain everybody your numbering scheme!
    Example:
    Microsoft Lumia 220 and Microsoft Lumia 225
    You see the 225 and you know it's the bigger phone (specs usually don't differentiate too much except for battery and MAYBE a slightly more powerful processor to fire up the bigger screen).

Complete Microsoft Portfolio:

Microsoft Surface
    - Microsoft Surface 4
    Regular Surface with normal Specs that everybody can use

- Microsoft Surface 4 Pro
    High-End Surface with top notch specs which is used for powerful computing

- Microsoft Surface 4 Mini
    The old "RT" style concept - lightweight Tablet and best specs for mobile surfing and browsing (Something like a Dell Venue 8 Pro) which is basically used for surfing the web, watching youtube and stuff like that - But with the same Windows 10 everything has.

Microsoft Xbox
    - Microsoft Xbox 360
    Legacy Console which is going to get retired soon.

- Microsoft Xbox One
    Powerful Next-Generation console which packs a punch and that can show you pretty gaming worlds.

- Microsoft Xbox Mobile
    Handheld device for Xbox streaming (?) Something like the Wii U Tablet is - You fire it up and enjoy your Xbox one games streamed to this device.

Microsoft Lumia
    - Microsoft Lumia 100
    Regular Phone for everybody. Price range around 100โ‚ฌ / $
    - Microsoft Lumia 110
    Second generation - better processor and camera - Same price range (Tech-refresh)
    - Microsoft Lumia 115
    Same phone, Same new camera, bigger battery and display

- Microsoft Lumia 200
    Business phone with good Battery life and nice performance
    - Microsoft Lumia 205
    Same Business phone but with bigger display and battery to serve the mobile computing better (Continuum included)

- Microsoft Lumia 300
    Basically the "Talkman". Flagship-device packed with Continuum and all sorts of stuff.
    - Microsoft Lumia 305
    Specs of the "Cityman" - Talkman with bigger display and battery. Flagship-device packed with Continuum and all sorts of stuff.

Microsoft Band 2
    Wearable wrist-strap (you know it)

Just stick to one set of numbers and only increase them when you refresh your Production cycle.
    NO ONE cares to read up on the differences between a 632, 630 and 635. it's just bogus because all the phones come out in different times and higher number does not mean it's newer. No possible way to identify that.

Microsoft MUST explain the customer their naming convention.
    Like BMW / Audi does with the 1 2 3 scheme - You select the category you want to go into and explain in one or two sentences, what the category is made up of. THEN you select your phone generation inside that category and choose "regular (0)" or "big (5). That's it.

Regards,
    Last edited by Black3ternity; 07-22-2015 at 06:14 AM. Reason: small additions like MS Band
    07-22-2015 06:03 AM
48 12