Flagship name

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I really hope Microsoft doesn't just name another flagship "Lumia [insert 3 or 4 digit number here]"

They need a name that will stand out and be recognizable. They need a name to help build identity, like the "iPhone", or "Galaxy".

Does anyone else agree?

It'd also be nice to name it referencing something in the Halo series since Cortana is with the OS.

Also, it shouldn't be carrier exclusive and it needs some advertisement.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Uh then what's lumia ? By now I think lumia is a name that most people think when windows phone is said or at least in my anecdotal experience

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
For me I don't see a reason to name a Microsoft flagship a surface phone or Xbox phone . When I say surface people will think the surface tablets ..right ? I think it would add more confusion to mix if Microsoft names the next flag ship a surface phone. Now let's say Xbox phone . People think console not a phone . I think the last thing on people's minds would be a phone from the surface name or Xbox name . Besides I think lumia would go Nicely with the next flagship

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
For me I don't see a reason to name a Microsoft flagship a surface phone or Xbox phone . When I say surface people will think the surface tablets ..right ? I think it would add more confusion to mix if Microsoft names the next flag ship a surface phone. Now let's say Xbox phone . People think console not a phone . I think the last thing on people's minds would be a phone from the surface name or Xbox name . Besides I think lumia would go Nicely with the next flagship

I wasn't necessarily implying they should omit "Lumia" from the name, but they could at least name it with a word instead of numbers, like the Lumia Icon (but due to carrier exclusivity and salesperson bias, it isn't popular amongst non Windows Phone users)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Lumia, well it just sounds gloomier. Despite the "brightness" links. It's never been a good brand name. IMO.
I'd go with something with fizz, positivity (and hopefully no foreign translation issues):

Lux
Zenith
Acumen
Insight
Centric or even Centrix
Actually, scrub that last one (just realised what it'll be known as on the streetz)

I'd like to see a Surface handset hold true to the design elements of the Surface line.

Or even for them to physicalize (is that even a word?) Cortana.

Or, just go for truth - the "Microsoft Last Ditch"

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
How about "One"? Goes with Onedrive, OneNote, etc

Ok, commence throwing tomatoes........now

Too related to Xbox One. Even though Microsoft are number one its a bit of a stretch to have everything as one as each device are so unique. Nice idea though.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I think Lumia S/X/Z/L (whatever letter MS would choose) will be better than "940" or "940 XL".

Lumia S and Lumia S Pro sounds good and it has more recall than the numerical thingy naming

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

That's why it'll be titled a "Surface Phone" and not just "Surface", the same way just "galaxy" is a phone and "galaxy tab" is a tablet...It brings a unison and erases contrast in branding between phone and tablet...not saying that it's the right or wrong thing to do..just saying that it wouldn't at all be nonsense to name the flagship Surface Phone..and everyone talking about how the Lumia name is so big...that's not true here in the U.S... everybody has heard of a windows phone ( and Nokia) but not too many common people know Lumia, and the U.S would be the main target for Microsoft's flagship anyway, since the other countries like India where Lumia is popular are all the main buyers of the budget Lumia's.....just sayin

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
That's why it'll be titled a "Surface Phone" and not just "Surface", the same way just "galaxy" is a phone and "galaxy tab" is a tablet...It brings a unison and erases contrast in branding between phone and tablet...not saying that it's the right or wrong thing to do..just saying that it wouldn't at all be nonsense to name the flagship Surface Phone..and everyone talking about how the Lumia name is so big...that's not true here in the U.S... everybody has heard of a windows phone ( and Nokia) but not too many common people know Lumia, and the U.S would be the main target for Microsoft's flagship anyway, since the other countries like India where Lumia is popular are all the main buyers of the budget Lumia's.....just sayin

Surface doesn't make sense on a phone besides the galaxy tab is a tablet not a phone. Just like the other company's have it
Apple , Samsung
Apple iPad : tablet
Apple iPhone : phone
Apple iPad mini : smaller tablet

Samsung Galaxy s : phone
Samsung Galaxy tab : tablet
Samsung Galaxy note : phablets and tablets with styles

Msft lumia xxx : phone
Msft surface pro x: high end tablet
Msft surface x : affordable tablet

As you can see each company has a clear distinction of what each product line is why should msft change their flagship phone to a surface. To me it doesn't really make sense. Also if I may add I'm in Cali going to college and when I get asked I get questions to me saying " is that a lumia or a lumia phone " I wouldn't go as far as saying lumia isn't a name but it's getting there.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wait, don't your quoted naming examples perfectly demonstrate why/where a Surface branded phone DOES make sense?
Especially if college kids don't know what Lumia is.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Surface doesn't make sense on a phone besides the galaxy tab is a tablet not a phone. Just like the other company's have it
Apple , Samsung
Apple iPad : tablet
Apple iPhone : phone
Apple iPad mini : smaller tablet

Samsung Galaxy s : phone
Samsung Galaxy tab : tablet
Samsung Galaxy note : phablets and tablets with styles

Msft lumia xxx : phone
Msft surface pro x: high end tablet
Msft surface x : affordable tablet

As you can see each company has a clear distinction of what each product line is why should msft change their flagship phone to a surface. To me it doesn't really make sense. Also if I may add I'm in Cali going to college and when I get asked I get questions to me saying " is that a lumia or a lumia phone " I wouldn't go as far as saying lumia isn't a name but it's getting there.

I know the galaxy tab is a tablet.. that's why I brought it up, both samsungs phones and tablets use "galaxy"..the "galaxy tab" for tablets and just "galaxy" for phones..(not all of them use an "s" )...you pointing out those names proved my point that Surface for phones wouldn't be a bad idea ..apple and samsungs tablet and phone lines both have essentially the same brand style with a small detail different to distinguish them from each other

Galaxy-Phone
Galaxy tab-tablet

ipad-tablet
iPhone-phone

see how these brands are similar to each other.. The name Surface and Lumia have no visible or audible relation to each other, other than they both start with Microsoft, but most people don't call out a product with the manufacturer in front too often..So Surface and Surface Phone wouldn't be a bad idea in my eyes, saying that it causes confusion is kind of weird since galaxy tab and galaxy s are able to coexist and still have their own strong recognition..and just by looking at the name you can see their related and made to work together, unlike Lumia and Surface

So i'm not saying Lumia is wrong, or even that Surface Phone is right..I;m just saying that "Surface Phone" isn't nearly as horrible as people make it seem

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte