Flagship name

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Wait, don't your quoted naming examples perfectly demonstrate why/where a Surface branded phone DOES make sense?
Especially if college kids don't know what Lumia is.

not really since the suface brand make more sense imho as a tablet name. I think there should be a clear distinction between tablet and phone instead of adding phone after the surface. also where would lumia be in this if were to happen?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
There is a clear distinction between the two..one is called "surface" and one is called "surface phone"..Lumia can just be their budget phones for third world countries and simply not be in the u.s, or idk just get rid of Lumia in u.s and call their cheap windows phones "surface phone C" with customizable specs so one phone can compete in several budget price marks, in the u.s,Europe and other first world countries or something I really don't know

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
There is a clear distinction between the two..one is called "surface" and one is called "surface phone"..Lumia can just be their budget phones for third world countries and simply not be in the u.s, or idk just get rid of Lumia in u.s and call their cheap windows phones "surface phone C" with customizable specs so one phone can compete in several budget price marks, in the u.s,Europe and other first world countries or something I really don't know

I completely agree with this statement. Lumia is not a recognizable name in the US with the mainstream. Bringing the Surface name to Windows Phones would be a good move for brand recognition. You could have a flagship Surface Phone Pro for example and I think it would a better ring to it and stick with the consumers' minds. Especially if they advertise it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In the US, Lumia sounds too much like Lumina, which was a dumpster fire Chevy. I side with the Surface crowd, it's a more recognizable name especially with the attention it gets from NFL games and the pre-game shows.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with this statement. Lumia is not a recognizable name in the US with the mainstream. Bringing the Surface name to Windows Phones would be a good move for brand recognition. You could have a flagship Surface Phone Pro for example and I think it would a better ring to it and stick with the consumers' minds. Especially if they advertise it.

And on top of that the 940,950,960 scheme isn't good because what happens after 990..lol 1000,then the phone just entered another class..these are phones not car engines, or or tv remotes...we need simpler branding

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll side with the Surface name as well for the flagship and let the Lumia name work for the mid to low ends with the numbers.

It makes sense from a product standpoint and from their new 'One Windows for all' scheme.

Either that or go with the Windows One or something like that.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see it not have "phone" in the name. Especially if they go "Surface" route, since the Surface Pro is already abbreviated as SP3. I'm not a fan of the Surface name, but if it's recognizable by non-Windows fans then that is a plus. I never hear people talk about anything Microsoft (at least not in a positive way), so I just don't know how well-known it is.

I guess I could see a Surface/Lumia lineup where entry-level products have just numbers after the brand, while upper-level products have a Letter/Number denotation. So premium surface keeps "Pro" just because it's accepted and known as Pro now. A 'mini' Surface gets T for tablet (rather than mini, to keep from appearing to be a ipad mini knockoff). Surface phones get M (for mobile) along with X (for large screen) and C (for super camera).

Entry level computer: Microsoft Surface #
Premium computer: Microsoft Surface Pro#
Tablet: Microsoft Surface T#
Entry level phone: Microsoft Lumia 4##,6##,8##
Entry level phablet: Microsoft Lumia 6##xl, 8##xl
Premium phone: Microsoft Surface M#
Premium phablet: Microsoft Surface MX#
Premium cameraphone: Microsoft Surface MC#

I dunno. Thankfully I'm not in charge of creating a good name for a mega-corporation's product lines, I'm just in charge of critiquing their names LOL!

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I would love to see it not have "phone" in the name. Especially if they go "Surface" route, since the Surface Pro is already abbreviated as SP3. I'm not a fan of the Surface name, but if it's recognizable by non-Windows fans then that is a plus. I never hear people talk about anything Microsoft (at least not in a positive way), so I just don't know how well-known it is.

I guess I could see a Surface/Lumia lineup where entry-level products have just numbers after the brand, while upper-level products have a Letter/Number denotation. So premium surface keeps "Pro" just because it's accepted and known as Pro now. A 'mini' Surface gets T for tablet (rather than mini, to keep from appearing to be a ipad mini knockoff). Surface phones get M (for mobile) along with X (for large screen) and C (for super camera).

Entry level notebook: Microsoft Surface #
Premium notebook: Microsoft Surface Pro#
Tablet: Microsoft Surface T#
Entry level phone: Microsoft Lumia 4##,6##,8##
Entry level phablet: Microsoft Lumia 6##xl, 8##xl
Premium phone: Microsoft Surface M#
Premium phablet: Microsoft Surface MX#
Premium cameraphone: Microsoft Surface MC#

I dunno. Thankfully I'm not in charge of creating a good name for a mega-corporation's product lines, I'm just in charge of critiquing their names LOL!

I doubt they have any interest in making a notebook..the point of the surface tablets are to be a tablet and laptop

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
All it seems that MS does is have some product inspector walk into the office to inspect the finished product and sign off on it. And whatever time of day or night that happens to be, the cat looks at his watch and BOOM, the phone gets its number name. It is cleaver the first 4 phones but to make it a standard is flat lazy. It needs to quit.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they have any interest in making a notebook..the point of the surface tablets are to be a tablet and laptop
by notebook I meant the Surface as it is, although I realize it isn't a fair label even though they tout it as replacing laptops rather than being one. I edited my original entry to correct this!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it should go

Microsoft Surface
Microsoft Surface Pro

Microsoft Surface Phone (main flagship and it should already have the best camera on a phone so no need for a specific camera version)
Microsoft Surface Phone Pro (same phone, just bigger screen and battery and should come with n trig pen that can be stored in phone)

Budget phones should just stay lumia and and only be sold on budget carriers in U.S, and everywhere in third world countries as normal..Lumia should be treated like a completely different line of windows phones..targeted at best value for price instead of cool features and specs like surface phone

In fact it would be nice to see Lumia drift off to become it's own phone OEM not under Microsoft making quality budget windows phones everywhere while Microsoft makes Surface Phones each year or maybe instead oif being COMPETELY on it's own Lumia can be like cricket wireless who is owned by AT&T, and simply stay under Microsoft's control and influence but just stay away from being closely related in the public eye, where consumers wouldn't even know that lumia is by Microsoft...This way Microsoft is still getting success hardware wise AND software wise in the budget world ,while also having a strong premium phone brand

Just My Opinion

Last edited:

highgear56

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Nothing to do with phones, but I thought this was interesting and slightly relevant

I read recently due to the Lincoln Continental's concept buzz, they're considering naming their newer cars with actual names and words all together and abandoning the whole letter/number thing German companies use.

Even some car manufacturers are starting to realize the "alphabet soup" naming model is tiresome. I hope Microsoft would think the same regarding their phones. At least their flagship anyway. Because to the average consumer, they may know a Moto G and where it stands, but they won't have a darn clue what a Lumia 735, 930 or 1020 are whatsoever.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I always think latin is good for names
i have had the malum spurius for a ship name in dnd
the uss ignavus in star trek online

so how about the praenimis (in reference to the possible price) :)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I really hope Microsoft doesn't just name another flagship "Lumia [insert 3 or 4 digit number here]"

They need a name that will stand out and be recognizable. They need a name to help build identity, like the "iPhone", or "Galaxy".

Does anyone else agree?

It'd also be nice to name it referencing something in the Halo series since Cortana is with the OS.

Also, it shouldn't be carrier exclusive and it needs some advertisement.

They bought the Lumia name for a reason and it is not to minimize its relevance in favor of something else. As for grabbing some name from an online game, that will hardly draw in gamers anymore than Cortana has and it will not attract the corporate customers who will likely major or break the platform. Comparison to Galaxy and iPhone is also a definitive chicken and egg scenario. The names did not make the products hot sellers - the products made the names identifiable.

There is nothing wrong with Lumia nor with a sequential number. In fact, the only current exception has been a definitive sales failure (Icon). It is the platform that must attract people. If it is a desirable product, they could name it Fred and it would sell. If no one wants it the name is meaningless. Kin was actually a clever name and there are few bigger commercial failures in the smartphone era.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to do with phones, but I thought this was interesting and slightly relevant

I read recently due to the Lincoln Continental's concept buzz, they're considering naming their newer cars with actual names and words all together and abandoning the whole letter/number thing German companies use.

Even some car manufacturers are starting to realize the "alphabet soup" naming model is tiresome. I hope Microsoft would think the same regarding their phones. At least their flagship anyway. Because to the average consumer, they may know a Moto G and where it stands, but they won't have a darn clue what a Lumia 735, 930 or 1020 are whatsoever.

Like the Ford Mercury Merkur XR4TI It was literately the dumbest name for a car and it lasted less than 4 years before it was pulled. lol. (Ask me how I remember that name)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Like the Ford Mercury Merkur XR4TI It was literately the dumbest name for a car and it lasted less than 4 years before it was pulled. lol. (Ask me how I remember that name)

They should have kept it as the Ford Sierra along with the Cosworth engine. Instead we get the Merkur name and the modified Pinto motor. Let's talk 80s Fords, I think I owned every one of them at one point including the rare '85 LTD LX with the 5.0 CFI.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)