Will we see an official Surface Phone with the launch of Windows Phone Continuum?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8513519/microsoft-windows-10-continuum-for-phones/in/8280366

I
think it will be awesome if Microsoft launches a Surface Phone with Intel processor along with the Surface Pro 4 tablet later this year. I'd like to see the phone run on an Intel processor so that it is able to run all the native Windows apps, because I am assuming Windows phones with ARM processors will only be able to run Windows RT applications (a handful of MS programs - Mail and Office). Somebody correct me if my assumption about Intel and ARM processors and the applications they can run is wrong.

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, Belfiore refers directly to new Qualcomm processors regarding the two-screen feature, furthermore, he only talks about universal apps, who, by definition, are available for ARM phones.
On Intel's side, the only processor where, as far as I know, smartphones are explicitly mentioned is the x3, which is a low-mid range 28nm chip that actually has nothing to do with the x5 & x7 (Cherry Trail).
In other words, I would be very surprised to see a high end phone with an Intel processor this year.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be awesome if Microsoft launches a Surface Phone with Intel processor along with the Surface Pro 4 tablet later this year. I'd like to see the phone run on an Intel processor so that it is able to run all the native Windows apps.

W10M doesn't (nor should it ever) contain any of the 8GB's worth of software components required to run Win32 desktop software.

That's why W10M, even when running on an Intel x86 compatible CPU, will not run Win32 desktop software.

If you want that you need a portable device running W10, not W10M (although you'll have to kiss your battery life goodbye).

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
God, I hope so. They need to ditch the terrible Chevy Lumina stigma and go with the Surface brand recognition that's established as a quality product and strong name.

With the Surface Hub and tablets, it makes zero sense to not rebrand everything that failed in the past.

I certainly hope so, for everyone's sake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium