The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-24-2015 04:24 PM
102 12345
tools
    Are you disappointed by the rumored MS flagship specs??
    I'm disappointed by the rumors of a flagship with no actual timeline for a release date.
    Watching and waiting is getting old...very old...

Microsoft has no plan.
    They're making this up as they stumble along.
    05-03-2015 08:35 PM
    Would be perfect if it's 4.7 inch while XL is 6 inch.
    TLRtheory and xandros9 like this.
    05-03-2015 08:58 PM
    The specs race is pretty stupid TBH. The dual core A8 can go head to head with any Snapdragon and comes out ahead.
    IMO for a phone, 2 cores is enough for the foreseeable future.

As evidenced by the post below me, most people still go for useless specs instead of the only spec that matter, battery life. \/
    Last edited by James8561; 05-04-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added last line
    TLRtheory, a5cent and manicottiK like this.
    05-03-2015 11:57 PM
    I just want octa core, 3GB LPDDR4, USB 3, USB OTG, MHL, decent camera with OIS, clear optics, F2.0 or lower, SD card bus that supports UHS3, ANT+, 802.11ac. The 5.7 screen size doesn't bother me, as long as the display itself is good, 515ppi isn't bad at all especially if they're anything like the past Nokia displays. Also, good speaker(s), ones without crappy dropout frequencies. Also a good earpiece. They manage most of that, then I'm sold.
    05-04-2015 01:04 AM
    The specs race is pretty stupid TBH. The dual core A8 can go head to head with any Snapdragon and comes out ahead.
    IMO for a phone, 2 cores is enough for the foreseeable future.
    Yes, it is... but if Android has accomplished anything, it's created a legion of *core counters* who let themselves be won over by big numbers that they often don't understand... or utilize.

After watching someone in the reception dept of my IT job foam over the S6's octa-core Exynos and whatever GPU it has (I honestly don't keep Samsung anything on my radar), I checked theirs out and saw that all that power went to the same stupidly basic things you can do seamlessly on a significantly weaker phone (Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram... pretty much the only non-bloatware apps you see on any teen girls phone)... I won't get into that much though because no one that has ever worked as an IT or a tech realistically expects the general public to know what they want.

Even for a guy like me who does actually buy power to use power, I haven't found a single game the Lumia 930's SD800 didn't play at the peak of it's performance... and the Lumia 820 I keep around (because the external storage means I can install my 46GB of apps and still have room for all my music and whatever pictures/video I wanna snap) plays most of my high resource games smoothly on its lowly S4 chip.

But I digress, because on a large scale this does create the necessity for mobile phone creators to stay on top of the spec game since most non iPhone buyers are either buying the cheapest phone or looking for the best specs. Even if people have no clue why they want it, Microsoft does still owe their people a new box with the latest and greatest developments in technology under the hood.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 05-04-2015 at 05:03 AM.
    05-04-2015 04:49 AM
    If it has good battery life, AMOLED, wireless charging, glance, large image sensor, and excellent build quality etc. It's all good. Basically an improved 925 or 830. They don't need to add useless gimmicks. Lack of Lumia sales is NOT because the device hardware is incapable or poor preforming... Sometimes less is more. Lumia is a solid formula with what they offer, and have been offering since 2012 at the higher end, really.

There isn't actually anything wrong with their design or hardware. They don't use cheap plastic like Samsung, they don't make overpriced devices like Apple, and they certainly don't put out the same flagship three years in a row like HTC. I want a Lumia, not a needlessly-specced Android clone.

That said, I WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A 1020 SUCCESSOR. :'(
    Spencer Carriveau likes this.
    05-04-2015 06:20 AM
    The rumored specs aren't too bad. I don't know what I'd be looking for but something that can out-perform my Lumia Icon. What I mean is the phone I pick up should have a 20mp camera, wireless charging but also expandable memory, better screen memory and working Wi-Fi (the Icon is too sporadic).
    05-04-2015 06:34 AM
    They specs are pretty good IMO. If I were to nitpick, I wish the 'XL' version would have a 6" screen instead of a 5.7" one. And AMOLED while we're at that.

Other than that, I am OK with 20MP camera sensor. I just hope they'll improve the OIS and use wider lens (at least F2.0) for better low-light photography.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-04-2015 07:03 AM
    Considering they are "rumored", and obviously not going to be the only phones released, I am excited. I love the the 2 version variety we have coming from Microsoft (640 and 640 XL and these two rumored). Easy to follow and comprehend.

I am pleased we are seeing rumors. Means that things are getting real. All of us Windows phones users are so ready for that.
    Guytronic and xandros9 like this.
    05-04-2015 09:10 AM
    Nope.

Also not getting my hopes up until official confirmation :P as things can change last minute i.e Surface Mini, Project McLaren.

The flagship better have a micro sd card slot, simply because that would give it a leg up over the iphone and S6.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-04-2015 09:15 AM
    I find it interesting that Lenovo manages to squeeze a 4 Ah battery into a 5" device, but no one else can do it? They probably use a small camera, but still.

Higher resolution than 1080 is just a waste of battery time, but I guess MS have to attract buyers with higher numbers just like everyone else

20 mp doesn't really tell us anything. Is it the same as in 1520? What about sensor size? I have 1020, and the last thing I need is more pixels.
    Give me a proper AF, a better point and shoot experience in general, oh and better video controls. It's soo hard to avoid motion blur, I'd rather get grainy shots.
    05-04-2015 09:19 AM
    MP count doesn't really matter. I have a 4MP Olympus that takes great pictures even today. It's what they do with the MP they put in. So if they release a 20MP camera that takes better pictures than the 1020, I'll be happy with the specs. If the 1020 still takes better pictures, then I'll be disappointed. The camera is my main decision point. I figure W10 will be serviceable as an OS, the interface will be tolerable, and the gee-whiz features hopefully non-invasive. But the camera needs to be far above every other cameraphone.
    05-04-2015 09:27 AM
    I find the camera on my 930 (also 20 megapixel) quite amazing, far better than what I expect from a phone. But I think you'll find that the software behind the camera is quite important too. There were many upgrades to the camera with the 8.1 denim update and I hope that when the new flagship is revealed, the software behind that continues to improve. As for the screen, I'm not sure I'll enjoy a screen of that size, I've never been a huge fan of phablets, but I'll satisfy with the next phone (i.e not the flagship one, but it's smaller brother - like the 830 is to the 930) :)
    05-04-2015 09:43 AM
    Just having 32GB on board with microSD makes me very happy.
    05-04-2015 09:51 AM
    Not sure why no one is mentioning the small amount of storage (32gb) for a flagship. Hello? This isn't 2012 anymore. Others have 64gb and more.
    In 2015, with cloud storage I think 32GB is more than enough.
    05-04-2015 10:42 AM
    In 2015, with cloud storage I think 32GB is more than enough.
    Especially when you have a micro SD slot...
    xandros9 and KhawarNadeem like this.
    05-04-2015 06:30 PM
    Neither of these flagships interest me in the least. The only thing I truly want is a competent midrange phablet (5.5" - 5.7") with an SD6XX SoC, a Pureview camera, and a price tag around $399.

I was terribly disappointed that MS thought the L830 was worth $449.
    05-04-2015 08:30 PM
    These sound perfect, actually...

With the typical year to year camera sensor and software improvements, I think these 20MP cameras will probably rival the 1020. The 930/1520 was already ~90% there, IMO. (I own both). I just hope they still have as good or better audio recording as the 1520.
    05-04-2015 08:35 PM
    Only by the rumored above-5" screen sizes
    05-04-2015 08:39 PM
    Just because it will have 20 MP does not necessarily mean that the cameras will be lower quality than that of the 1020. There is way more to camera quality than the number of MegaPixels. How it does in low light, at higher ISO for example, and flash quality, to name just two.

I love the camera on my 1020. I had accidentally killed my Iphone and I needed a quick replacement but I didn't have any time to do research. I went to my AT&T store and asked which smartphone had the best camera, and to their credit they suggested the 1020. I don't really like making purchases that way, but this worked great for me. I got the 1020 so I could ditch the point and shoot while doing social media snapshots for my business, and it has worked very well for that.

That said, I knew when I got it in Feb 2014 that by the time I was ready to buy the next smartphone, that many flagships would have cameras nearly as good as point-and-shoot, at least for close shots.
    05-04-2015 08:41 PM
    No, because I don't care about specs. I care if a phone works for me. Nearly every phone today is too friggin big. And I'd trade all the megapixels for a better sensor and lense. I guess that means I do care, at least a little.
    05-04-2015 08:43 PM
    Just because it will have 20 MP does not necessarily mean that the cameras will be lower quality than that of the 1020. There is way more to camera quality than the number of MegaPixels. How it does in low light, at higher ISO for example, and flash quality, to name just two.

I love the camera on my 1020. I had accidentally killed my Iphone and I needed a quick replacement but I didn't have any time to do research. I went to my AT&T store and asked which smartphone had the best camera, and to their credit they suggested the 1020. I don't really like making purchases that way, but this worked great for me. I got the 1020 so I could ditch the point and shoot while doing social media snapshots for my business, and it has worked very well for that.

That said, I knew when I got it in Feb 2014 that by the time I was ready to buy the next smartphone, that many flagships would have cameras nearly as good as point-and-shoot, at least for close shots.
    I would love to see the flagships achieve low light pictures with much less grain...then they could brag about having awesome low light performance,because the way pictures show up grainy in low light,you're better off using flash and then using the rich capture/dynamic flash feature to tone it down a little so its not so yellow/orange and brightly washed out...for me atleast
    05-04-2015 08:47 PM
    These sound perfect, actually...

With the typical year to year camera sensor and software improvements, I think these 20MP cameras will probably rival the 1020. The 930/1520 was already ~90% there, IMO. (I own both). I just hope they still have as good or better audio recording as the 1520.
    Do you have denim on your 930? And if so how would you describe the battery life? Compared to the 1520..if you've had any of the 92x series phones (920,925.928), would you say it lasts longer than those?
    05-04-2015 08:49 PM
    don't care about specs...didn't care too much about specs. the only worry about specs is that it has something at least similar to competition (at the time of purchase) so it doesn't feel like you bought something outdated (doesn't apply to apple though, they can put apple on anything and it'll sell, plus they don't need the best numbers to be the best performing).

On that note, my phone is getting windows 10. when I actually need a new phone (and not because its new and shiny) then i'll worry about whether the specs are up to par or not (low end...don't are, just look for the good combination of price, features performance. High end? well just make sure you get your money's worth)
    05-04-2015 08:59 PM
    Back when wp8 first came out windows phones flagships were perfectly fine and comparable if not better than their android competitors,while rocking modest but great 720p displays, and dual core processors...It's more so the ppi that matters more than overall resolution, and performance matters more than what processor is giving you that performance..as long as ppi is over 300-350 ,and pixels aren't detective then its resolution is good enough to be a flagship display
    05-04-2015 09:04 PM
102 12345