Are you disappointed by the rumored MS flagship specs??

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not necessarily about being on par with other Company's flagship phones.. It's about living up to and succeeding the flagships that have already been released by Lumia.. For instance people with 1520's may feel disappointed that the successor to their phone has a 5.7 inch display, and ppl with 1020's may be upset tat they may never see Lumia's continue to have 41 megapixels...i myself think 20 is great though, although I dont know how I'll feel about going from my 6 inch 1520 to a 5.7 inch phone...maybe 6 inches is overdoing it and 5.7 will be the phablet sweetspot

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not necessarily about being on par with other Company's flagship phones.. It's about living up to and succeeding the flagships that have already been released by Lumia.. For instance people with 1520's may feel disappointed that the successor to their phone has a 5.7 inch display, and ppl with 1020's may be upset tat they may never see Lumia's continue to have 41 megapixels...i myself think 20 is great though, although I dont know how I'll feel about going from my 6 inch 1520 to a 5.7 inch phone...maybe 6 inches is overdoing it and 5.7 will be the phablet sweetspot

As a current 1520 flagship owner, I promise you, I won't be disappointed if the rumored spec is reality. At this point, its all about being able to run all of Windows 10 for phones without limitation. I suspect the 1520 will be able to accomplish this but most certainly, the new spec will. Someone mentioned in the thread how Apple does what it does without drawing specific attention to its hardware. I suspect its because its users need to be able to take advantage of all there is with IOS without limitation. That is what I'm looking forward to with this new hardware sans the rumor with Windows 10 for phones.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I find it weird that they release a 5.2 and a 5.7 screen. It seems too close to me. There is not so much difference.. Sure in a sense but also not.. Lol.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually excited about the reduction to 5.7" because honestly 6" on a phone is too much and the best phablet: SGN4, is 5.7"
One thing I'm not excited about is the increase in resolution to 1440p. I'd rather take a few hours more battery life than unnoticeable increase in sharpness.
Other than that, the phone seems fantastic! 20MP is already much higher than the competition, with most androids at 16MP and iPhones still stuck at 8MP. They just need to improve the camera software: instantaneous start up, panorama, slow mo, and white balance refinement.
Also, stylus support for the phablet?
As for the specs, I'm a bit suspicious because I read somewhere that for 1440p you need 4GB RAM

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Ive been using the Lumia 1520 for a year and a half and am generally very happy with it. Though I think i would prefer a slightly smaller 5.5 inch size. Also, remember that pixel count alone has very little to do with image quality.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure why no one is mentioning the small amount of storage (32gb) for a flagship. Hello? This isn't 2012 anymore. Others have 64gb and more.
It'll be 2016 if/when these'll hit globally. Everyone will be even more into streaming than they are now. 32 is plenty.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
They seem okay. What really matters is the performance as always (and good batterylife doesn't hurt). iPhones still haven't moved away from dual-core processors but you'd never know that while using one. Fluidity is what counts.

It's definitely an uncomfortable nag that the specs aren't going to be top end but if the phone delivers on the continuum promise then it opens a loooot of doors. Basically the phone just needs to fly when performing daily tasks and run full PC style versions of Word, Outlook, etc smoothly. There's no need for it to be capable of running GTA V on max settings (though one day you never know...).

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Call me crazy but Id rather have 8gb phone and 64gb memory slot than a 128gb phone with no sd slot.
Also, everyone here's talking about the 940 and 940 xl but what about the rumored 740xl and 840.
Here's hoping the Lumia 840 will support Continuum and a respectable processor.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you disappointed by the rumored MS flagship specs??

I'm disappointed by the rumors of a flagship with no actual timeline for a release date.
Watching and waiting is getting old...very old...

Microsoft has no plan.
They're making this up as they stumble along.
:straight:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The specs race is pretty stupid TBH. The dual core A8 can go head to head with any Snapdragon and comes out ahead.
IMO for a phone, 2 cores is enough for the foreseeable future.

As evidenced by the post below me, most people still go for useless specs instead of the only spec that matter, battery life. \/

Last edited:

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just want octa core, 3GB LPDDR4, USB 3, USB OTG, MHL, decent camera with OIS, clear optics, F2.0 or lower, SD card bus that supports UHS3, ANT+, 802.11ac. The 5.7 screen size doesn't bother me, as long as the display itself is good, 515ppi isn't bad at all especially if they're anything like the past Nokia displays. Also, good speaker(s), ones without crappy dropout frequencies. Also a good earpiece. They manage most of that, then I'm sold.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The specs race is pretty stupid TBH. The dual core A8 can go head to head with any Snapdragon and comes out ahead.
IMO for a phone, 2 cores is enough for the foreseeable future.
Yes, it is... but if Android has accomplished anything, it's created a legion of *core counters* who let themselves be won over by big numbers that they often don't understand... or utilize.

After watching someone in the reception dept of my IT job foam over the S6's octa-core Exynos and whatever GPU it has (I honestly don't keep Samsung anything on my radar), I checked theirs out and saw that all that power went to the same stupidly basic things you can do seamlessly on a significantly weaker phone (Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram... pretty much the only non-bloatware apps you see on any teen girls phone)... I won't get into that much though because no one that has ever worked as an IT or a tech realistically expects the general public to know what they want.

Even for a guy like me who does actually buy power to use power, I haven't found a single game the Lumia 930's SD800 didn't play at the peak of it's performance... and the Lumia 820 I keep around (because the external storage means I can install my 46GB of apps and still have room for all my music and whatever pictures/video I wanna snap) plays most of my high resource games smoothly on its lowly S4 chip.

But I digress, because on a large scale this does create the necessity for mobile phone creators to stay on top of the spec game since most non iPhone buyers are either buying the cheapest phone or looking for the best specs. Even if people have no clue why they want it, Microsoft does still owe their people a new box with the latest and greatest developments in technology under the hood.

Last edited:

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
If it has good battery life, AMOLED, wireless charging, glance, large image sensor, and excellent build quality etc. It's all good. Basically an improved 925 or 830. They don't need to add useless gimmicks. Lack of Lumia sales is NOT because the device hardware is incapable or poor preforming... Sometimes less is more. Lumia is a solid formula with what they offer, and have been offering since 2012 at the higher end, really.

There isn't actually anything wrong with their design or hardware. They don't use cheap plastic like Samsung, they don't make overpriced devices like Apple, and they certainly don't put out the same flagship three years in a row like HTC. I want a Lumia, not a needlessly-specced Android clone.

That said, I WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A 1020 SUCCESSOR. :'(

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
The rumored specs aren't too bad. I don't know what I'd be looking for but something that can out-perform my Lumia Icon. What I mean is the phone I pick up should have a 20mp camera, wireless charging but also expandable memory, better screen memory and working Wi-Fi (the Icon is too sporadic).

farhanmariz

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
They specs are pretty good IMO. If I were to nitpick, I wish the 'XL' version would have a 6" screen instead of a 5.7" one. And AMOLED while we're at that.

Other than that, I am OK with 20MP camera sensor. I just hope they'll improve the OIS and use wider lens (at least F2.0) for better low-light photography.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Considering they are "rumored", and obviously not going to be the only phones released, I am excited. I love the the 2 version variety we have coming from Microsoft (640 and 640 XL and these two rumored). Easy to follow and comprehend.

I am pleased we are seeing rumors. Means that things are getting real. All of us Windows phones users are so ready for that.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope.

Also not getting my hopes up until official confirmation :p as things can change last minute i.e Surface Mini, Project McLaren.

The flagship better have a micro sd card slot, simply because that would give it a leg up over the iphone and S6.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster