07-24-2015 05:24 PM
102 123 ...
tools
    Windows Central recently posted an article detailing newly leaked/rumored specs of high end Ms phones coming later this year...The main flagship is said to sport a 20 megapixel camera..Will 1020 users be disappointed? And the larger (phablet) variant of that flagship is said to have only a 5.7 inch display...Will 1520 users feel like their downgrading? These aren't my opinions, I just want to hear what others have to say...I think 20 megapixels and a 5.7 inch display is fine..but is that compromise? Since we as Lumia users should naturally come to have expectations for future phones to be better without compromises right?
    aximtreo and DuoWing like this.
    05-03-2015 12:07 AM
    I think they're great, but ofc some people here will always complain about something lol
    05-03-2015 12:18 AM
    I find 12mp on my dslr to be plenty adequate. Having a huge mp camera on a phone doesn't make too much sense to me. 20mp on the next Gen flagship seems perfectly fine, and I am a consumer who makes my phone purchasing decisions based on the quality of the camera. I'll be eagerly awaiting to hear about the features like start up time , burst rate and ability to do slow mo, like the iPhone. And also overall picture quality, which for me is pretty independent of the pixel count.

As far as size goes, I prefer something 5 inches or less. Bit really ready for a phablet.

Actually the next feature that might totally rock my world is the continuum ability to plug into a monitor and start acting like a desktop. That sounds pretty rad.
    05-03-2015 12:28 AM
    Assuming the leaks are anywhere near accurate I think they will be great devices. The camera might be a downgrade for the 1020 user, but that is a niche devise never really intended to be a true flagship. The screen sizes do concern me a little, while I have no desire for a phablet sized device, a screen less than 6 in might be considered a fail. I'm more concerned about the increase to 5.2, if they can keep the actual phone size to the same as the 830/5.0" then fine, but I don't want anything bigger.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    05-03-2015 12:30 AM
    I think the spec's are great, Only downside is the 20 MP camera. Wish they had been able reduce the size of the camera on the 1020 and put it into this phone, it would have been hands down the best phone in the market.
    05-03-2015 12:58 AM
    "Rumoured" - I will believe when I see it ... wait till it is out for a few months with Windows 10 working on it. Then I will have feelings of appeasement or disappointment.

Windows Central recently posted an article detailing newly leaked/rumored specs of high end Ms phones coming later this year...The main flagship is said to sport a 20 megapixel camera..Will 1020 users be disappointed? And the larger (phablet) variant of that flagship is said to have only a 5.7 inch display...Will 1520 users feel like their downgrading? These aren't my opinions, I just want to hear what others have to say...I think 20 megapixels and a 5.7 inch display is fine..but is that compromise? Since we as Lumia users should naturally come to have expectations for future phones to be better without compromises right?
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-03-2015 01:03 AM
    I really don want to complain, but I love my 6" screen, and 5.7" is a bit of a let down. If its true that is.
    Why? Well, a reduction of 0.3" doesn't really make the phablet easier to handle it just gives less to look at. IMO a phablet is perfect at 6".
    05-03-2015 01:30 AM
    Hexa core and octa core processors? Really? -_- That's overkill for phones!
    oviedofreak82 likes this.
    05-03-2015 01:35 AM
    I thought everything was great sounding. Honestly the battery size has me excited along with the 32GB internal storage and SD card support. I can hardly wait.
    snowmutt and rollindice like this.
    05-03-2015 01:45 AM
    I think they are okay, but I think both versions should use the octa-core processor though :) don't worry guys, that's 4 powerful and 4 easy cores which are activated upon different usage and not a true 8 core processor. And sure they are not as powerful as their PC "siblings"
    When the system will be able to take full potential of the cores I would easily settle for even more cores :)
    4Gb of ram would be nice to, I like to run heavy stuff on my devices too :)

Hexacore is 2x 1.8 + 4x 1.2 Ghz
    Or 2x 1.8 + 4x 1.44 Ghz
    Octacore is 4x 2 + 4x 1.5 2Ghz

A smartphone is able to do some PC things just well or even better. I like AutoCAD and all the Autodesk apps on mobile. Photo & Video manipulators, HDR, Camera speed, Hyperlapse.. Yes I need super powerful phone, I do things on the go.
    Last edited by Slovenix; 05-03-2015 at 06:18 AM.
    05-03-2015 01:57 AM
    Omg you people, will find an issue everywhere, these are phones, not PCs.
    05-03-2015 02:54 AM
    Spec obsessed geeks will never be happy.........its a phone !
    SammyD97 and oviedofreak82 like this.
    05-03-2015 03:21 AM
    Hexa core and octa core processors? Really? -_- That's overkill for phones!
    I disagree. The flagship wars are fought and won on the field of arbitrary hardware specs. It's fairly obvious that Windows Phone ran just fine on a nice low end Snapdragon found in the 520 variants, but this isn't about the low end. If MS can pull this off, their prestige will increase quite a bit. To me at least, the dedication to a true flagship is a company's dedication to their ecosystem, and OS. The effort put into a top of the line device will show they care about the OS.

You could argue the Apple route where there specs aren't what's relevant, but it's pretty clear that MS has entered the ring with the intent of matching Android makers blow for blow. 20 MP is fine for a camera. All I ask is OIS, and a few other marketing extras such as Carl Zeiss lenses, and a very nice sensor. You can always argue that 2k on phones is pointless, but this is the future, and you gotta match the bids for consumer attention. Hopefully MS has the style lined up to match the hardware.

tl;dr: You don't win wars by doing what is adequate and logical. You kick all logic to the curb, and shove in those extra pixels, extra megapixels, and extra snapping dragons. Row row fight the power.

stl;dr: Yes. I am quite pleased with the specs, and I hope MS actually commits to a new flagship every year. Not just once a generation.
    05-03-2015 04:33 AM
    No biometrics?
    Hello?
    05-03-2015 05:11 AM
    8 MP is fine for me, heck, it's fine for everyone (5 MP is enough to blow up a picture to bulletin board size) and 5.7 in is nearly too big for me
    05-03-2015 05:27 AM
    As far as the camera, it's all about the lenses and the software. As the Dothraki would say "It is known".

Continuum is my big concern. It's not because I think the technology is anywhere close to having an ARM chip match an x86 chip. Rather the concern is will they go with gratuitous specs and kill the battery life. The Nexus 6 and Galaxy 6 were both released with great marketing hype about their battery life and in both the reality has been poor at best.
    Vijay_Anand and snowmutt like this.
    05-03-2015 07:30 AM
    Since imaging is one of the main selling points of windows phones i think MS will probably be putting quite a lot of effort to try and beat the iphone 6 and samsung galaxy s6, im really curious to see how MS is going to beat them, since those phones have really caught up in terms of image quality.
    I dont think the difference will be as clear as how it used to be in the past though, those phones have pretty good cameras.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-03-2015 08:10 AM
    You could argue the Apple route where there specs aren't what's relevant, but it's pretty clear that MS has entered the ring with the intent of matching Android makers blow for blow. 20 MP is fine for a camera. All I ask is OIS, and a few other marketing extras such as Carl Zeiss lenses, and a very nice sensor. You can always argue that 2k on phones is pointless, but this is the future, and you gotta match the bids for consumer attention. Hopefully MS has the style lined up to match the hardware.
    I absolutely agree with all of your statement BUT...in my opinion i still think 2k is completely pointless. HTC and Apple didnt participate the ppi race, so why must MS?
    Anyway i hope the rumored 3000mah battery for the 940 is true though, that is INSANE battery life! Samsung should take notes.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-03-2015 08:13 AM
    To be fair, that's not "insane battery life" - it's just a slightly bigger battery. It could well be drained quicker than a smaller, existing one.
    05-03-2015 08:22 AM
    The rumored specs sound fine considering better technology doesn't exist yet, but it's glance and wireless charging I'm more concerned about. Those two features are the only things that make my iPhone and Android family and friends jealous.
    05-03-2015 08:25 AM
    I absolutely agree with all of your statement BUT...in my opinion i still think 2k is completely pointless. HTC and Apple didnt participate the ppi race, so why must MS?
    Anyway i hope the rumored 3000mah battery for the 940 is true though, that is INSANE battery life! Samsung should take notes.
    Am I one of the few who don't think 3k mAh isn't enough?

Enough with the tiny batteries, match or exceed the 1520's 3400 mAh!
    05-03-2015 08:27 AM
    Am I one of the few who don't think 3k mAh isn't enough?

Enough with the tiny batteries, match or exceed the 1520's 3400 mAh!
    Haha, how about the Tesla battery packs, miniaturized version?
    05-03-2015 08:33 AM
    I think no one should worry about the screen size they can easily fit 5.2" screen in to, say 930's housing, and with out bezels think how cool it might be
    rollindice likes this.
    05-03-2015 08:37 AM
    Continuum is my big concern. It's not because I think the technology is anywhere close to having an ARM chip match an x86 chip. Rather the concern is will they go with gratuitous specs and kill the battery life. The Nexus 6 and Galaxy 6 were both released with great marketing hype about their battery life and in both the reality has been poor at best.
    THUS, if you noticed removable battery @ 3000mAh - you can always carry a spare (and may need to).

All that Xtra (processor / screen) spec comes @ a cost - IF they're going to fight the specs war, compromises need to be made somewhere. The removable 3000 mAh battery is probably equal in size to a non-removable 3400 mAh battery. That's the tradeoff vs. a ...
    non-removable 5000mAh battery for example, which might be a scaled version of required power.

Continuum will probably hose some battery (wireless connection), unless docked which will probably be power neutral (charging while consuming power).
    05-03-2015 09:09 AM
    Battery life is not a compromise I'm interested in. I'm not sure how you guys live but I work seven days a week and I work hard. Some days I am so tired I just walk in the door and go straight to bed. I often forget to put my phone on to charge and maybe get shower/dress time in the morning to charge. My windows phones so far have been up to this often getting two days easily off a single charge. I have a two-in-one if I need a laptop or tablet, I have a desktop if I need a desktop. What I need from my phone is for it to be a phone that is ready to go at a moments notice that I can shove in my pocket and go.

Now maybe guys/gals get to sit at a desk all day and keep your phone charged. Maybe you have a purse/man-purse/fannypack you can carry all kinds of chargers and batteries around with you all day. In that case I can see being willing to compromise on battery.
    05-03-2015 09:26 AM
102 123 ...