Lumia 940 and 940XL Port

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Joe Belfiore said that phones with new hardware will get Continuum for phones. These phones would be able to drive an external display.

I think that this hardware will also include USB-C.

This is because micro-USB cannot drive an external display without Mobile-High-Definition-Link (MHL) support. Also, the target monitor would also need to support MHL. Currently no Windows devices I know of have MHL.

Would you all want to see a new flagship with the new reversible USB-C port?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Meh, whatever works.

A port switch would need to consider the convenience of the nearly universal-ness of the micro USB.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I cannot wait to get rid of Micro USB. It is a very flimsy connector. At this moment I am sitting here with my Lumia 1020 having a broken port and my wife has two Lumia 1020 camera cases with broken ports. The sooner we move to USB Type-C the better. I for one will never buy a device with Micro USB again. This is the whole reason I am not upgrading my Surface 2 to the Surface 3. I am not spending that kind of money on something that will break pretty quickly. Microsoft needs to push this new standard, and unfortunately they are disappointing right now. But Windows 10 phones only need one port. I will have to double check the specs, but I thought you can charge at high rates and output 4k video at the same time.

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
You can charge and output video over USB-C, which is exactly why I thought that the new flagship Lumia would be an ideal candidate for the new port. Unless they come up with some sort of (reliable) wireless system.

Spencer Carriveau

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I cannot wait to get rid of Micro USB. It is a very flimsy connector. At this moment I am sitting here with my Lumia 1020 having a broken port and my wife has two Lumia 1020 camera cases with broken ports. The sooner we move to USB Type-C the better. I for one will never buy a device with Micro USB again. This is the whole reason I am not upgrading my Surface 2 to the Surface 3. I am not spending that kind of money on something that will break pretty quickly. Microsoft needs to push this new standard, and unfortunately they are disappointing right now. But Windows 10 phones only need one port. I will have to double check the specs, but I thought you can charge at high rates and output 4k video at the same time.
The broken port on the Lumia 1020(and other lumia devices manufactured around the same time) is due to Nokia buying a defective batch of micro usb ports. They were weaker than standard ports and break easier. They didn't find out until around over a year later.

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the C-type connecter would be nice, but I don't think it is necessary... It seems that the Continuum will be able to run wirelessly, so the fancy connecters will not be necessary. The demo at build was "simulated" with a display cable, but that will not be needed in the final products that supports the technology...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oi1B9fjVs4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans