Every time specifications related to possible camera flagships are leaked, there are upset voices pointing out the sensor resolution. Assuming the 1020 successor will be anything like the leaked and cancelled McLaren, we can expect a sensor resolution below 41 MP. The sensor resolution is only a small aspect when discussing the output quality of a camera module though, so I wanted to ask everyone:

What specifications do you hope to see in a possible upcoming camera flagship?
    Examples of specifications you may want to highlight:
    1) Sensor size
    - Diagonal comparison:

2) Sensor resolution
    - For comparison:
    • Apple iPhone 6: 8 MP (1.5 μm pixels)
    • Nokia Lumia 1020: 41 MP (1.12 μm pixels)
    • Nokia PureView 808: 41 MP (1.4 μm pixels)
    • Panasonic Lumix CM1: 20.9 MP (2.4 μm pixels)
    • Sony RX100 MkIII: 20.2 MP (2.4 μm pixels)
    • Canon EOS 5D: 23.4 MP (6.22 μm pixels)

3) Optics
    - For example: Zeiss lenses, Leica lenses, modular lenses, dual modules or light-field optics.

4) Technical solutions
    - For example OIS, Xenon flash, oversampling, optical zooming, exchangeable lenses, 3D imaging, phase detection. Or upcoming technology like InVisage QuantumFilm, CorePhotonics dual-array camera, etc.

I know we all want the Hubble Space Telescope attached to a phone no thicker than a sheet of atoms, but let's try to keep it realistic.
    (Funnily enough, the Hubble Space Telescope UVIS CCD is effectively a 44.7 mm 16 MP sensor. The optics on the other hand are absolutely insane.)
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:42 AM
    Exchangeable lenses would be nice, or a camera grip that doesn't break when you remove it that has an option for add on lenses would be more doable. Maybe a larger sensor, with that fancy laser thing that the LG phone has.
    05-07-2015 09:48 AM
    I would like a larger sensor size as well as improved IOS. A sensor with improved dynamic range would also be nice.
    05-07-2015 10:03 AM
    I'll add my own speculations as well. First of all, I'm doubtful Microsoft will continue the line of imaging flagships - but here's to hoping!

When the release of the 1030 was still thought to be imminent, multiple leaks (including one from Daniel Rubino) pointed out that Nokia was working on a dual-array camera. A dual-array camera setup is also what Apple's upcoming iPhone 6S is rumoured have. What this could mean is for example that two "lower-resolution" sensors can be combined to create a superresolution image, alternatively the two lenses can have different focal lengths, giving optical zoom without the need for a thick zoom lens.

If any of the rumours still hold water, that'd mean a 1020 successor could be one of the first smartphones with genuine optical zoom. If they use two sensors of 1020 proportions, the effective sensor area would be 4/3" - as large as some DSLRs. All this while being in a thinner package than the original 808 or 1020.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's focus seem to be the mainstream audiences with their 940 and 940XL (Compare: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus), which would mean placing a priority on making thinner phones. As such the sensors will need to be scaled down to fit the thin optics.
    05-07-2015 11:53 AM
    the 1020 and the 808 are the only smartphone cameras with sensors that has enough resolution for 8k recording.

Here's a 4k timelapse that was taken with the 808 which was released wayyy before 4k became mainstream

duvik7, RaRa85 and EMitchell like this.
    05-28-2015 01:26 AM
    Stunning quality. I'm considering repurchasing a 1020 just because I loved it so much but I think I may go with the iPhone 6S for the unmatched built in apps such as IMovie and Garage Band and also official Final Fantasy VII port is coming to iOS before the end of the year. I think the 6S would be a great device to use worry free until/if a Lumia 1030 is released. Then I will definitely get that when/if Microsoft pulls the trigger on it.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    08-05-2015 08:44 AM
    iMovie and garage band are not that great. They are very user "unfriendly" I bought my mac for garage band, and it could never do anything with it. I think apple is all marketing. FLUFF. I would stay with MS software.
    08-06-2015 07:12 AM
    41 megapixel should be kept.
    High resolution photos, together with the full potential of oversampling algorithm, make the quantity justified.
    What I want is a better diaphragm and the ability to control it. That would help make long distance photos, not just zoom. Take example of a big monument or a panorama.
    08-06-2015 07:36 AM
    iMovie and garage band are not that great. They are very user "unfriendly" I bought my mac for garage band, and it could never do anything with it. I think apple is all marketing. FLUFF. I would stay with MS software.
    Not that great? I've used both and thought they were hands down the best you can find at least for free. But that's just my use with it. You can really make some nice quick memories with it and you can make your own music with Garage Band to avoid any copyright issues. I'll have to play around with my 920 and see what's available in the Store because there have been some new video editing apps that I have not tried yet. I do like the automated Storyteller app a lot though.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    08-06-2015 08:31 AM
    Honestly, the camera module from the 1020 is perfect for my needs. If they can offer same performance in a smaller package (read bump) and just improve on the phone's overall speed instead, it would pretty much be perfect. If I HAD to choose an improvement, it would be attachable lenses.
    08-12-2015 12:42 PM
    I love my bump. ha ha. Makes the phone unique and a lot of people comment on what it is. After I show them photos from it, they are believers.
    08-13-2015 12:18 PM
    My list for a camera-centric smartphone isn't that extensive.
    20-30 MP would be great. Any higher than that and you risk shoving too many megapixels into a sensor too small for those megapixels. You have to remember, this is a smartphone.
    A large sensor. The 1020 had a large sensor but new technologies and hardware that has been released since means we can do more with less space, including a larger sensor and faster aperture for better low-light shots, better focal length and better detail overall.
    An increase in microns. I'm not a fan of the traditional 1.1 microns. 1.3 would be good.
    Improved OIS. The 830 has great OIS but it can still be better.
    Laser auto focus. The only improvement this really brings is extra speed, as the phone still has to do the actual focusing, but speed is good.
    Better zoom. That would be one benefit of more megapixels is a better ability to zoom.
    I would very much like PureView, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the oversampling. If I want to take a 30MP picture I want a 30MP picture not 5MP. I understand its benefits for something like social media but if I want to I should be able to turn it off completely and take full resolution pictures.
    Improve the software. I love the Lumia Camera apps for their manual control but they don't have the features they should built in. Get rid of lenses and build those functions straight into the app.
    Better ergonomics. That bump was way too severe on the 1020.
    Improved flash. A tri-tone flash would be great, and I don't see the benefits of Xenon on a smartphone (although I realize it is "true" flash) because of the battery drain and space issues you get. It's hard to fit a Xenon flash into a smartphone with a camera deserving of that Xenon flash. Sorry, but bricks don't sell unless you're buying a house. The phone doesn't need to be super slim but under 10mm.
    I don't care who builds the lens. Real glass lens would be a blessing but we all know it won't happen.
    Most importantly, more RAM and a more powerful processor. Oh and microSD card support is essential. 3GB of RAM, a processor capable of handling anything the camera can do and do it quickly, and the ability to add more storage whenever I want.

Okay so maybe that list was extensive. Who cares?
    Beijendorf likes this.
    08-22-2015 10:32 AM
    Oh, and Microsoft needs to settle on one freaking camera application and build it directly into the operating system so you don't have crippled phones like the Lumia 830.
    08-22-2015 10:34 AM
    I've been reading the news about new models coming out from various manufacturers and so far no phone has caught my eye. None fits what I am looking for.

None of the phones have cameras like the lumia 1020, some don't dedicated camera button or wrist strap holes or great designs or availability in most countries worldwide

Will any manufacturer, including Microsoft, come up with a windows phone where the camera is the main selling point just like the lumia 1020? A pureview camera, at least 41Mp with oversampled images of 8 or 10MP. Capable of recording 4k video, great battery life, 5 inch screen and dedicated camera button?
    03-18-2016 06:33 AM
    No.
    03-18-2016 07:47 AM
    03-18-2016 11:06 AM
    There's negligible money to be made in a niche market.
    No real need for a 1020 successor far as I can see.
    Why try to best a camera phone that's tough to beat as a camera.

Just use and enjoy instead of stressing about something that will never come.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-18-2016 01:35 PM
    03-18-2016 05:14 PM
    When doing comparisons, people should upload the larger image that the 1020 takes, not just the smaller one for sharing.
    You can unlock matched images and see them both in the photos app, everyone seems to upload and share the 5mp and ignore the fact there is a hidden (way better) image floating in the background (which is hidden by default) by having "linked duplicates"....... or don't they understand how the 1020 works?
    I bet most just "share" the image and upload to their computer ........ try and share the larger MP image, then stand back and weep.
    Then you would realise the 1020 blows them all out of the water, you can just enlarge, enlarge, then enlarge again, until the image is at 100 percent, if you enlarged the images from other phones, they would pixilate
    03-19-2016 02:35 AM
    I'm going to do a graph on this later but for now:

520 > 525 > 530 > 535 > 540 > 550
    620 > 625 > 630 > 635 > 638 > 640 > 650
    720 > 730 > 735
    820 > 830
    920 > 925 > 930 > 950
    1020 ?????????
    1320 > 640xl
    1520 > 950xl

So the only device that didn't get a successor was the great 1020
    nailzer and RumoredNow like this.
    03-19-2016 03:03 AM
    Having been a happy owner of the 1020, you should try the 950XL. Without having done and A/B comparison, the pictures seem to zoom better than the 1020, even with only 20mp. Better software, optics? I dunno, but I finally don't miss my 1020 (previous phone was the 1520).
    03-20-2016 08:32 PM
    I've been reading the news about new models coming out from various manufacturers and so far no phone has caught my eye. None fits what I am looking for.
    I'm in the same boat as you..

I've had all the greatest camera phones out there (Nokia N93, N82, N8, 808, Lumia 1020) and now I've hit a brick wall.

I was reluctant at first to upgrade from 808 to 1020, but I really wanted a faster and modern OS & better apps. The upgrade meant compromising the sensor and it's qualities (which even to this day had the best white balance) on the 808 for better algorithms and modern OS/apps on the 1020.

Now 2.5 years later since owning the 1020 - the only option right now is the Lumia 950/950XL, but that would mean compromising yet again on the camera module / sensor size & Pureview zoom qualities for faster OS and improved algorithms (due to better processors).

Dedicated camera phones have unfortunately declined since Nokia was bought out by Microsoft. Other companies, such as Samsung, are / have already caught / catching up on the imaging technologies that was once dominated by Nokia.

I'm still holding on to my 1020. I hope the imaging guys at Microsoft are cooking up something great to reveal otherwise I have no choice but to look at other leading companies.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    03-21-2016 10:15 AM
    If it was a refresh that would be great.

In general if the Lumia 1020's successor labeled as either the 1030 or Surface Phone Pro here's what MS should do :

- Beef up the screen to 5-5.5 inch of screen with a 1080p AMOLED screen for battery life performance and processor performance
    - Updated Internals of course, up to date SD processor (Maybe custom made or MS having a custom Intel), 3/4GB of Ram, MicroSD etc
    - Maybe a dedicated part of the phone for the camera?
    - I'm fine with the camera hump if they manage to cram more stuff into it.

I would prefer the camera to have some sort of really advanced OIS like maybe the one they used in Xiaomi's or Sony's, autofocus, triple led, adjustment of the flash post-production, a much better control over exposure values, white balance, etc etc.

I would be fine with the same sensor if it allowed everything else to be beefed up or slimmed. Maybe a bigger sensor like the 808 and a lower MP count to increase pixel size while being the king of crop/oversampling.

I don't know too much about camera optics , but is it possible for a camera to take multiple focusing points and combine the light/wb into one picture. Like say at night there is a billboard and streets. Normally when focusing on the main area, the billboard that is lighten up would pretty much be blown out and the opposite would happen if you were to focus on the billboard which overly darkens the surrounding area. If the phone could process multiple pictures to one that would be amazing.

Even if all they did was to simply refresh the 1020 and add a little more up to date features on the phone, along with say stereo speakers and such I think it could be a real contender. I don't like the argument that 1020 was a niche product and it's successor would be too, I mean it could be labeled as a flagship phone like any other phone right? It just happens that the camera would be ****ing on everyone else.
    04-13-2016 03:08 PM