The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-17-2015 07:59 PM
81 1234
tools
    940 will come out with SD810 2.1, sorry, guys. Hopefully the flagships will release before the iphone 6s & note 5, and not after.
    Last edited by psudotechzealot; 06-30-2015 at 07:09 AM.
    06-30-2015 05:51 AM
    The 940 doesn't technically exist yet, Microsoft has yet to officially announce it, so we don't know for sure what processor it contains.
    /thread
    jmshub and TechFreak1 like this.
    06-30-2015 08:15 AM
    Here is some food for thought, if the 810 v2.1 is in the 940 and doesn't over heat or throttle under-load wouldn't that be counted as good publicity?

We are just under a month away from OEM release of Windows 10 so there is bound to be more phone news as the weeks count down. Best wait and see as opposed to fretting over click bait article unless there is a lot of credibility behind it with solid sources.
    According to tests done by PhoneArena, the 810 v2.1 does overheat and throttles itself as much as 60%!!!!! It is the worst throttle offender when compared to Apple chip, Samsung, and Intel.... That isn't reassuring news.. Why release a product when you know beforehand that it is defective... Or doesn't perform as intended AND is 6 months old AND a new generation is 60 days away from full production.....?? Takata airbags anyone? Lol, being funny, but see my point...
    peachy001 and RJ Priest like this.
    06-30-2015 10:10 AM
    What point do you want to make other than guessing.
    Are you really thinking that someone in this post (or even a visitor/member) is a decision marker at Microsoft and really know what is going to happen?
    06-30-2015 10:57 AM
    Dream on.

And please explain the huge boost difference between the snapdragon 810 and 820 for a windows phone. Or even if they would use the snapdragon 805 or 808.
    The 810 is just a stock reference ARM design while the 820 has custom designed kyro cores and will be able to yield much better performance than the 810. The 810 has been a flop as I owned the M9 and the performance was lackluster because the processor needed to undervolt in order to deal with the heat it was producing. Even after 10 minutes of just web browsing the device heated up way too much. So yes I am agreeing with OP that the 940 xl better have the 820.
    Harrie-S and floppyedonkey like this.
    06-30-2015 12:29 PM
    It won't. In February MS stated that they were using the 810 in their flagship.
    06-30-2015 12:39 PM
    I think Microsoft might go with Samsung Chip's As they do have partnership or Intel to power two screens
    06-30-2015 01:22 PM
    810 is confirmed by Dan today.
    06-30-2015 04:12 PM
    Lumia 940 will come with Snapdragon 808 processor which is better than Snapdragon 810 in overall performance and thermal management to be used in Lumia 940 XL ( according to rumours and benchmarks) , but if Microsoft is going to release them in September/ October, then better release Lumia 940 XL with Snapdragon 820 processor away from the highly debated and failure like Snapdragon 810 processor. And Release Lumia 940XL 1 or 2 months later with by then latest Snapdragon 820 processor.
    06-30-2015 10:30 PM
    So, it seems the SD 820 is spread being tested and benchmarked. I just read an article that said it will have a fall release. That being said, the Lumia 940XL BETTER have the 820 and NOT the 810. The reason.... The 810 will be very old news by the time the 940 is announced, then 2 more months later we can get our hands on one. Meanwhile, Android manufacturers will be announcing and selling phones with the SD 820 and another WP flagship will be 6 months behind I specs..... But, what do I know, I still have my 1020..... Im just saying.... It would be a huge boost if they used the 820! How excited would you be! Answer honestly and don't make more excuses.... Excuses are like colds, everyone gets them and they suck to have...
    Snapdragon 810, still unable to resolve the heat issue, because of which it has to be downclocked, thus resulting in benchmarks even lower than 805. Overall a FAILURE!!!!

Snapdragon 820 is a replacement to this faulty 810. If implemented in the upcoming flagships, it will be a huge success. However if MS opts for 810, it will be the biggest failure for any flagship device released by MS
    peachy001 likes this.
    07-01-2015 09:30 AM
    940 will come out with SD810 2.1, sorry, guys. Hopefully the flagships will release before the iphone 6s & note 5, and not after.
    810 is confirmed by Dan today.
    Okay, who is Dan and where is the source for this supposed confirmation?

You both seem pretty sure, as do many in this thread, that the 810 will be the processor for the Win10 flagship. However, you are forgetting what has already been stated as fact by Joe Belfiore:
    1. The SoC for the new flagship hasn't been released yet.
    2. A new SoC is needed that is capable of driving multiple displays for Continuum.
    3. We are working with Qualcomm on a new SoC to achieve this, and are testing the prototypes for working with Continuum.

Sorry, there is just NO physical way it can be the 810, or the 808, or any other currently existing SoC on the market. It has to have the new features to drive multiple displays, or it won't be able to run Continuum. The new Windows 10 flagship phones will have Continuum.

The minimum it can be is an 812, but could possibly be an 820. We'll have to wait and see. What I can guarantee is there is no way it is an 810. They may have tested with an 810 early on since the one they needed wasn't available, but it can't be that in the final version, period.

So who is this lying Dan you're using as a source? I'm going to trust Joe Belfiore more than Anonymous Dan. Sorry.
    always_salil and sahib lopez like this.
    07-01-2015 11:03 AM
    (Lying) Dan = Daniel Rubino in below article.
    (and just to be sure this are not my words I just provide the source)

Cityman Specifications

“ 5.7 inch QHD (1440x2560) display
    Qualcomm-based eight core processor (Snapdragon 810)

http://m.windowscentral.com/microsof...-windows-phone
    Last edited by Harrie-S; 07-01-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    always_salil likes this.
    07-01-2015 11:14 AM
    Would be sad to see a S810 in there if the reviews were correct about the heat issues of this Snapdragon.
    07-01-2015 11:26 AM
    I like Daniel and all, but if those specs for Cityman are "dead-on" accurate as he states, then Joe Belfiore is a liar. I don't believe that for one second. Those are rumored specs. He may trust the source, but it flies in the face of what Microsoft has stated the next Windows 10 flagship phone will be capable of doing, and makes more than one top exec at Microsoft a liar on that front.

The 820 has the GPU capable of driving the dual displays and the QHD native that the Microsoft execs have been stating Continuum phones would have. As a matter of fact, they stated that the continuum enabled phones would be capable of simultaneously running 2 displays at QHD, which means it can't be the 810, as that would not be possible.
    Harrie-S and sahib lopez like this.
    07-01-2015 11:29 AM
    It all depends on the Microsoft's release cycle vs Qualcomm's release cycle. In recent years, Qualcomm has gone with 8x0 release in spring and 8x5 release in fall. I'm not sure if they are releasing 815 this fall or even 820 wont be released anytime sooner. So yes, if SD810(which was released in spring 2015) is the only existing flagship chipset by fall 2015 and SD820 won't come earlier than spring 2016 then Microsoft's flagships are gonna be six months late with every flagship by virtue of its release cycle. Microsoft needs to align its flagship release dates with flagship chipsets release date and should become one of the first flagships to come with newer chipsets. Personally I want Microsoft mobile to go along Samsung's release cycle. 940 flagship equivalent in spring and 1020/1520 flagship equivalents in fall with focus on camera and digital pen inputs(as a note device) respectively.
    07-01-2015 12:07 PM
    I like Daniel and all, but if those specs for Cityman are "dead-on" accurate as he states, then Joe Belfiore is a liar. I don't believe that for one second. Those are rumored specs. He may trust the source, but it flies in the face of what Microsoft has stated the next Windows 10 flagship phone will be capable of doing.
    The 820 has the GPU capable of driving the dual displays and the QHD native that the Microsoft execs have been stating Continuum phones would have. As a matter of fact, they stated that the continuum enabled phones would be capable of simultaneously running 2 displays at QHD, which means it can't be the 810, as that would not be possible.
    Dan Rubino was the Dan. Also, the 810 2.1 was not commercially available at that time.

Continuum may well have plans to drive two screens, but perhaps not every continuum enabled device will. Indeed, the devices next year are likely to be better at delivering on the promise.

While I hope the D-man is wrong, or even deliberately lowering our expectations, I can't see it. I was carefully following his comments on the matter. He sprang to the defence of the 810 immediately.
    07-01-2015 12:33 PM
    Dan Rubino was the Dan. Also, the 810 2.1 was not commercially available at that time.
    Sorry, I thought he went by Daniel. Daniel is my real first name, and I get offended when people shorten it to Dan.

Perhaps he likes to be called Dan, though. Just haven't seen it happen until now.

Continuum may well have plans to drive two screens, but perhaps not every continuum enabled device will. Indeed, the devices next year are likely to be better at delivering on the promise.
    Every continuum enabled device MUST drive two screens, or continuum will not function, period. This has already been stated by Microsoft. Has no one paid attention? I guess I have because continuum is what I am MOST interested in with W10m.

It must be able to drive both the screen on the phone and the external screen simultaneously, otherwise, you would not be able to answer a call when you receive one. This has been stated more than once by Joe Belfiore and other Microsoft execs.

There is no perhaps on this one. Either Microsoft has been lying to us about continuum and the upcoming W10 flagship phones, or Daniel Rubino has fallen for misinformation like so many others seem to when chasing rumors and attempting to predict the future. I have a great amount of respect for Daniel, but, like the rest of us, he is human. Mistakes can and will happen in life. If you have never made a mistake, then you must be God Almighty, in which case I would like to ask you about the duck-billed platypus. Were you exercising your sense of humor that day?

Sorry, I'll side with what we know about new W10m flagships being equipped with continuum and what the requirements of continuum are. And what I mean by "what we know" I mean what has been publicly stated my Microsoft on a number of occasions. I'm not talking about rumors or speculation here. That means the facts that are already in place supersede any speculation about what chip will drive the new flagships. Rumored specs are not facts that are already in place. If facts contradict a rumor, then the rumor is false or someone has lied about the facts.

I'm not saying "I'm right, it's not the 810." What I am saying is either rumors are false and it's not the Snapdragon 810 or high level Microsoft execs have been lying to us. You can't have it both ways.
    07-01-2015 01:05 PM
    I'll be sure not to call you Dan, can't say the same for the Rubmeister though. Unless of course he puts me straight. Anyhow, back to the Snapdragons.

You sure the 810 v2.1 can't be used for continuum? What about the 808? I'm not picking, I just want to be sure.

And, just so you know, I want you to be right on this.

Oh, and the platypus? Looks perfect to me, evolution may not cause beauty, but it does cause things to "just work".
    07-01-2015 02:23 PM
    Video: Windows Continuum for Phones

Starting time at 1:36.

And with new parts from Qualcomm, we have processors that can drive two screens separately in these new phone devices, and so that's how we enable the phone screen to work independently from the PC screen.
    Notice he states, "new parts from Qualcomm"

and "can drive two screens separately"

and "in these new phone devices".

That means only for new phones, a new part from Qualcomm that wasn't out yet at the time of the video, and it will have to be able to drive two screens.

That's how sure I am. There are other videos where he states, "We're doing a simulation because the hardware isn't available yet."
    TechFreak1 and peachy001 like this.
    07-01-2015 02:43 PM
    I never tire of hearing Joe talk about new features!

On the flip side, does version 2.1 definitely not have that capability? I'm asking because I am dying to know. Not calling you out, or claiming any high ground. V2.1 satisfies the "new" test, and the "not currently available" test.

I also noted that he talked about those features coming after the launch of W10. Could it be that the Cityman and Talkman will release with 10, but then an 820 Continuum device could launch December time with an 820?
    07-01-2015 03:06 PM
    I never tire of hearing Joe talk about new features!
    On that, we agree. Love it.

On the flip side, does version 2.1 definitely not have that capability? I'm asking because I am dying to know. Not calling you out, or claiming any high ground. V2.1 satisfies the "new" test, and the "not currently available" test.
    I honestly don't know about the 2.1 version. It SEEMS to me that versions of the same numbered processor would be to fix issues with a processor, and new features would require a new number. I'm really not sure, though. For that, we'll have to consult Bing or a person with good knowledge of the chip.
    I also noted that he talked about those features coming after the launch of W10. Could it be that the Cityman and Talkman will release with 10, but then an 820 Continuum device could launch December time with an 820?
    I suppose that could be it, but I'd really be surprised after all the talk of Continuum for W10 for phones if the first flagship launched for W10 doesn't have it. That could be disastrous for Microsoft.

The 820 is already testing in prototypes, that much I know. It should be ready in time for a late September or October mass launch in products, as in, a W10 Flagship launching about that time could conceivably be carrying it.

If Microsoft and Qualcomm are working closely together on this as they claim, then Microsoft knows how to have the rest of the hardware ready and waiting.

From one video from Ignite, it appears an HDMI port will be an option instead of just MiraCast, but either one will require the new GPU on the chip, which the 820 has. The hardware wasn't available at Ignite either.
    07-01-2015 03:21 PM
    According to tests done by PhoneArena, the 810 v2.1 does overheat and throttles itself as much as 60%!!!!! It is the worst throttle offender when compared to Apple chip, Samsung, and Intel.... That isn't reassuring news.. Why release a product when you know beforehand that it is defective... Or doesn't perform as intended AND is 6 months old AND a new generation is 60 days away from full production.....?? Takata airbags anyone? Lol, being funny, but see my point...
    But have Phone Arena tested the device [the 940] in question?

No, so right now all speculation about the 940 over heating is based on other phones which have different components which may or may surpress heat, internal design in low level code and hardware.

Unless there is hard concrete evidence of an actual consumer release 940 not a prototype being thoroughly tested by several credible independent public parties (unbias) and such tests shows the 940 suffers from over heating and throttling under load then everyone has the right to throw their arms in the air and start bemoaning what failed opportunity to brush aside the competition.

As of now there aren't any such sources / articles available to the general public so there is absolutely no point in fretting over tests on other phones and click bait articles.

. Why release a product when you know beforehand that it is defective.
    That is usually a top down decision, believe you me no engineer or product designer worth his or her salt will ever want to release a defective product.

Video: Windows Continuum for Phones

Starting time at 1:36.

Notice he states, "new parts from Qualcomm"

and "can drive two screens separately"

and "in these new phone devices".

That means only for new phones, a new part from Qualcomm that wasn't out yet at the time of the video, and it will have to be able to drive two screens.

That's how sure I am. There are other videos where he states, "We're doing a simulation because the hardware isn't available yet."
    Unfortunately a lot of people don't listen either that or they are pretty selective of what they hear.

He has being consistently saying this over the course of the year. You should check out the WinHec Shenzen documentation there are tonnes of information there.

In reference to your early post Continuum has two levels
    Level one is just the current mirror and apps expand to a larger screen (apps which support that function) when docked or connected wirelessly.

Level two the above and is able to drive two screens simultaneously wirelessly therefore you could play video on a larger display and use office on your phone.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 07-01-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    07-01-2015 04:17 PM
    In reference to your early post Continuum has two levels
    Level one is just the current mirror and apps expand to a larger screen (apps which support that function) when docked or connected wirelessly.

Level two the above and is able to drive two screens simultaneously wirelessly therefore you could play video on a larger display and use office on your phone.
    My understanding is that your Level one there is just standard screen projection, and that coupled with wireless keyboard and mouse is already available in GDR2. It's not really continuum, so to speak, but may be referred to as such outside of Microsoft. That's my understanding, at least.
    07-01-2015 04:52 PM
    On a side note, the Xiaomi Mi 5 is coming out in November with the SD820 and HTC and LG are going to be testing the SoC. I think they'll be releasing their flagship phablets in the second half of this year, coinciding with the Mi 5 release. I think MS will be releasing their phones around this time as well.

If you think about it, whenever MS released a phone, they always use the latest SoC at the time along with it's competitors. Like when the 1520 came out in fall of 2014, everyone was using the Snapdragon 800. Same thing happened when the 920 came out as well. I am sure they'll be using the 820 for the Lumia 940 XL
    07-01-2015 04:55 PM
    So, can v2.1 run Continuum?

I'd gave to check the dates, but MS have not always used the latest chips. In fact, MS released the 640, with an older 400 series chip. Anything else that came before was more Nokia than MS.

In February MS stated that they would be using the 810 in a W10 flagship. Hopefully, the have altered their opinion and Continuum dictates that it must be an 820. Reading both between and also on the lines, Rubino has repeatedly suggest that they are using the 810.

And if the 810 is thermally challenged now, what will it be like running Continuum?
    07-01-2015 05:10 PM
81 1234