07-17-2015 07:59 PM
81 1234
tools
    My understanding is that your Level one there is just standard screen projection, and that coupled with wireless keyboard and mouse is already available in GDR2. It's not really continuum, so to speak, but may be referred to as such outside of Microsoft. That's my understanding, at least.
    Yup, Level 1 is "Continuum" in marketing sense which is much better than tap & hold being touted as "Force Touch" by Apple . I still can't get over it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3145218/Apple-s-iPhone-6s-revealed-Leaked-pictures-new-handset-look-identical-new-Force-Touch-
    screen.html

https://developer.apple.com/osx/force-touch/
    07-01-2015 05:48 PM
    Yup, Level 1 is "Continuum" in marketing sense which is much better than tap & hold being touted as "Force Touch" by Apple . I still can't get over it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3145218/Apple-s-iPhone-6s-revealed-Leaked-pictures-new-handset-look-identical-new-Force-Touch-
    screen.html

https://developer.apple.com/osx/force-touch/
    Yeah, except Force Touch isn't tap and hold, it is sensitive to how hard the press is, not how long. It's a pressure sensitive touch, like the surface pen uses. They are pretty much adapting the idea to a new technology.
    07-01-2015 06:03 PM
    The only thing I need is a non plastic flagship.
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-01-2015 06:44 PM
    Yeah, except Force Touch isn't tap and hold, it is sensitive to how hard the press is, not how long. It's a pressure sensitive touch, like the surface pen uses. They are pretty much adapting the idea to a new technology.
    Yes, I'm aware of that but your counting people to distinguish different levels of tap and hold that's why it's laughable.

With a pen it's easier as you can see the visible result therefore trial and error is not needed; whereas with this it could be rather aggravating for the average joe to use. However that experience will purely depend on this is implemented (I could suggest something that would make it easier but I'm not - not giving them any ideas! ).
    07-01-2015 07:00 PM
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I just thought you were calling the technology tap and hold.

The only use I can see for it is for an on-screen piano keyboard where the volume gets louder with harder key presses like a real piano. Wouldn't feel like one, but I thought of that when trying one such app on my phone. haha!

Yeah, signing or drawing with a finger just isn't cool, because your finger is in the way of what you're doing. Laughable. They basically moved tech away from the old style plastic stylus to a touch sensitive screen, and that worked for them. But you can't really take it away from the touch sensitive pen. It will never be the same. An artist will want the pen.

It might be useful in some games where a hard tap fires a missile or grenade and a soft tap fires a pistol or something. Haha.

I'd say they could use a hard tap in place of tap and hold for right-click, but for me it would be disastrous. Well, not just for me, but anyone with carpel tunnel syndrome. With a pen, it's different. Using the tip of a finger to apply pressure is kind of like typing, which can damage it further. Harder taps increases the damage faster, and can cause pain and swelling if you're already suffering. No thanks. That's why I like the word flow keyboard over the tap-a-tap-tap, and I prefer the microphone in Windows 10 for text boxes.

Okay, we're officially derailing the topic. We better stop. ;)
    07-01-2015 07:53 PM
    I never tire of hearing Joe talk about new features!

On the flip side, does version 2.1 definitely not have that capability? I'm asking because I am dying to know. Not calling you out, or claiming any high ground. V2.1 satisfies the "new" test, and the "not currently available" test.

I also noted that he talked about those features coming after the launch of W10. Could it be that the Cityman and Talkman will release with 10, but then an 820 Continuum device could launch December time with an 820?
    SD 819 Version 2,1 is used by Xperia Z3+ and look at its benchmarks, its not even close to Galaxy S6, its clearly shown, that they downclocked it to overcome the heat issue.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-02-2015 01:29 AM
    But could v2.1 run continuum?
    07-02-2015 01:59 AM

If you think about it, whenever MS released a phone, they always use the latest SoC at the time along with it's competitors.
    Not true.
    07-02-2015 03:28 AM
    We will see, rhapdog.
    07-02-2015 03:39 AM
    Simultaneously transmitted 4k data.....

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2882...ragon-810.html

So, it can be the 810.
    07-02-2015 05:40 PM
    The simultaneous display is a mirrored display. That's still not continuum. It has to drive 2 separate displays doing 2 different things, which it does NOT mention it being capable of. It may be, but I have been unable to confirm that particular capability. Admittedly, I haven't tried very hard to since Joe Belfiore keeps mentioning they don't have the hardware available yet for Continuum. What does he mean by that? The 810 has been out for a while. He can't be talking about the 810, because the 810 hardware is available. Explain that, and we'll talk further.
    07-02-2015 10:45 PM
    That statement from Joe was a while ago. "hardware" could mean processor or phone. It could mean the phone, processor and the hub.

At the time of the statement 810 v2.1 was not available, neither was the phone or the hub.

If he made the statement today, then that would be different. Having said that, if by hardware he means "phone" then it won't be available for some time.

I must reiterate, I want you to be right. I just don't think that the evidence is there to rule out the 810 v2.1. Indeed, the fact that Dan has stated it will be leads me to believe it will be.
    pjm1891 and TechFreak1 like this.
    07-03-2015 12:03 PM
    I just watched Joe's Ignite video. He states that the the prototype hardware does not exist.
    07-03-2015 04:39 PM
    07-03-2015 05:35 PM
    It is way too late to alter the path now. The processor choice would need to gave been locked in months ago.
    07-04-2015 02:42 AM
    I just watched Joe's Ignite video. He states that the the prototype hardware does not exist.
    Well that's interesting, what are they using in the continuum demo?

Magic?

sabby_s likes this.
    07-04-2015 05:28 AM
    Did you not watch it? It is a mock up.
    Last edited by peachy001; 07-04-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    07-04-2015 12:00 PM
    What I'm thinking is they collaborated with Qualcomm to make a modified version of the 810. Lets hope it wont have any heat problems or I would also be very disappointed and skip this flagship. Lumia 920 also gets way too hot sometimes.
    07-04-2015 12:21 PM
    You would have thought that it would have been easier just to go with the 820.
    07-04-2015 02:52 PM
    Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but doesn't Continuum require an Intel chip? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. If true, this thread is wortless for any mention of Continuum.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    sahib lopez and rhapdog like this.
    07-05-2015 06:34 PM
    No, doesn't require an Intel chip.
    07-06-2015 01:55 AM
    Someone set me straight if I'm wrong but doesn't Continuum require an Intel chip? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. If true, this thread is wortless for any mention of Continuum.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    Joe Belfiore had specifically stated that the new hardware they were waiting on was hardware from Qualcomm. I believe that was at Build, but can't remember which video it was that I had watched when he said that. They did state they were working closely with Qualcomm on it's development. That's why I believe it is going to be a new chip from Qualcomm.

Personally, if they could solve energy efficiency, down size it some more, and get better performance at the same time, I'd love to see an i7 powering the next flagship. Unfortunately, we're a ways off on something like that.

@peachy001 and TechFreak1, I just wanted to say "Thanks" to both of you for the informative and mature discussion here. I have really been enjoying it. Nice to not have petty bickering when there is a difference of opinion. I salute you.
    fatclue_98 and peachy001 like this.
    07-06-2015 06:54 AM
    Daniel/Dog.... I am genuinely ecstatic that I have been able to convey my opinion without any of you taking offence. Context is so difficult to express well in an internet discussion. Dam dog, I want you to be right. I have watched various Continuum videos looking for clues.

Incidentally, the Joe clip where he mentioned Qualcomm, it is the one linked above by Tech....(the one where Tech' asks if it works by "magic"). Surprised he said that, as there is no doubt that in every video, it is clearly a mock-up demo.
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-06-2015 02:11 PM
    I read 5 devices are launching this fall with the 820, all Android in that article.

Why couldn't MS have developed this phone with the 820 in mind like some of those no name manafacturers?
    07-10-2015 02:51 PM
    I read 5 devices are launching this fall with the 820, all Android in that article.

Why couldn't MS have developed this phone with the 820 in mind like some of those no name manafacturers?
    Because we are talking about MSFT, and they are always 6 months to a year behind. Bunch of buffoons.... Now they've given up on us all together.....so, do you think they care? My guess is two years and they are out of mobile phone business.... And the worst part is that these fools announce this right before Windows 10 Mobile and the arrival of a new flagship! I have to wonder how many people just decided to abandon MSFT because of this statement. Elop must have written Nadellas speech before he left.... Burning platform and all....the sheer brilliance of these men.
    trivishal likes this.
    07-10-2015 04:39 PM
81 1234