Snapdragon 820, Lumia 940xl

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So, it seems the SD 820 is spread being tested and benchmarked. I just read an article that said it will have a fall release. That being said, the Lumia 940XL BETTER have the 820 and NOT the 810. The reason.... The 810 will be very old news by the time the 940 is announced, then 2 more months later we can get our hands on one. Meanwhile, Android manufacturers will be announcing and selling phones with the SD 820 and another WP flagship will be 6 months behind I specs..... But, what do I know, I still have my 1020..... Im just saying.... It would be a huge boost if they used the 820! How excited would you be! Answer honestly and don't make more excuses.... Excuses are like colds, everyone gets them and they suck to have...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So, it seems the SD 820 is spread being tested and benchmarked. I just read an article that said it will have a fall release. That being said, the Lumia 940XL BETTER have the 820 and NOT the 810. The reason.... The 810 will be very old news by the time the 940 is announced, then 2 more months later we can get our hands on one. Meanwhile, Android manufacturers will be announcing and selling phones with the SD 820 and another WP flagship will be 6 months behind I specs..... But, what do I know, I still have my 1020..... Im just saying.... It would be a huge boost if they used the 820! How excited would you be! Answer honestly and don't make more excuses.... Excuses are like colds, everyone gets them and they suck to have...

Dream on.

And please explain the huge boost difference between the snapdragon 810 and 820 for a windows phone. Or even if they would use the snapdragon 805 or 808.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There is always the next best thing coming down the line. Should they delay Win10 handsets until the snapdragon 830?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Dream on.

And please explain the huge boost difference between the snapdragon 810 and 820 for a windows phone. Or even if they would use the snapdragon 805 or 808.

If the sd820 is a better chip and doesn't delay the release of the phones by more than a month or so, why not use it? MS isn't going to make their phones cheaper for you because they used an older chip. You should always want the best for the flagship considering the price of these phones.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There is always the next best thing coming down the line. Should they delay Win10 handsets until the snapdragon 830?

If MS would have to delay release for a month to get the latest, they should do it. Why settle for less? (Assuming the new chip is better on all fronts)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, the 810 has been having some overheating issues. Maybe it's not ready for prime time or maybe it just doesn't process Android properly. That was a jab at Android not a technical explanation. Anyhoo, with the importance of a proper release of W10M it would be prudent to at least study the situation, a feasibility study if you will.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
If the sd820 is a better chip and doesn't delay the release of the phones by more than a month or so, why not use it? MS isn't going to make their phones cheaper for you because they used an older chip. You should always want the best for the flagship considering the price of these phones.

Very true, couldn't agree more. However from experience, looks like MS loves to lock the phone spec very early in development (the flagship L930 has the same SoC (and RAM!) with Nexus 5 which is half the price and launched half a year earlier) This way we will always get outdated SoC, SD820 is unlikely..

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft is concerned about the overheating of the sd810 and wants to avoid any potential problems, that is understandable and a perfectly reasonable to skip it for the next generation of chips on the next line of handsets. I'm sure that the situation is well researched by engineers. But delaying the manufacture and release of a phone just because there is a newer and shinier chipset is not a a valid reason.

If, in two months, Microsoft announces the Lumia 940, and it has the 810 chip in it, there will be derision on the forum, before anyone ever sees a phone in person. There will always be a newer and "better' chip in development.You can drive yourself crazy following along with a burning desire to always have a device that is incrementally better than the one you already have.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft is concerned about the overheating of the sd810 and wants to avoid any potential problems, that is understandable and a perfectly reasonable to skip it for the next generation of chips on the next line of handsets. I'm sure that the situation is well researched by engineers. But delaying the manufacture and release of a phone just because there is a newer and shinier chipset is not a a valid reason.

If, in two months, Microsoft announces the Lumia 940, and it has the 810 chip in it, there will be derision on the forum, before anyone ever sees a phone in person. There will always be a newer and "better' chip in development.You can drive yourself crazy following along with a burning desire to always have a device that is incrementally better than the one you already have.

All hypothetical here: What if the "newer and shinier" chip provides 10% better performance, 10% less power usage, 10% less heat production and some other features we don't know if yet? Is it still just a "shinier" chip?

A lot of WP users in the past defended lesser chips being used because WP didn't require as strong of chip to run smooth as Android. For some reason, that has turned into becoming okay with not having the best but still paying for it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm just concerned with customers complaining if there is a heat issue with the 810. The tech geeks (like us) are the only ones interested in the latest and greatest. John Q. Public doesn't want to hold his new flagship with welding gloves. This release is far too critical to leave it to a chip that may have an adverse effect on the user experience.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
All hypothetical here: What if the "newer and shinier" chip provides 10% better performance, 10% less power usage, 10% less heat production and some other features we don't know if yet? Is it still just a "shinier" chip?

Yes, it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the next version of the chip will be faster and more efficient. That is why they iterate and make a new chip. But as soon as the 820 comes out that is 10% better, the 830 series will be in the pipeline, and it will be 10% better than the current best yet, with the 840 series chips will be behind that, etc. I stand behind what I said. There will always be the next best thing behind whatever is out there now, and I don't feel like my phone is obsolete because it "only" has a Snapdragon 800 in it.

Smartphones, like computers in the late 90s, make some users blind to specs. The raw numbers don't tell an accurate description of how fast and efficient a device will be in real world use, and even benchmarks skew results, as savvy designers have been known to design their hardware to specifically run the benchmarking utilities with high efficiency.

A lot of WP users in the past defended lesser chips being used because WP didn't require as strong of chip to run smooth as Android. For some reason, that has turned into becoming okay with not having the best but still paying for it.

A smartphone's cost isn't simply the sum total of the parts inside....especially one single part (even though the SoC is the core component of the entire phone). You have to factor in any extras, the amount of RAM, the amount of storage, the camera lens apparatus, the inclusion of things like Qi charging, and the overall build quality of the phone.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm just concerned with customers complaining if there is a heat issue with the 810. The tech geeks (like us) are the only ones interested in the latest and greatest. John Q. Public doesn't want to hold his new flagship with welding gloves. This release is far too critical to leave it to a chip that may have an adverse effect on the user experience.

I agree. If there is indeed a problem with the 810, then yes, that is a very valid reason to avoid it and wait for the 820 series to come out. But if the 940 does include the SD810, then it doesn't immediately suggest failure. Some quick searching shows that Qualcomm has introduced a version 2.1 of the SD810, to alleviate overheating issues.

Switching from a SD810 to the upcoming 820 isn't as easy as replacing a socketed processor in your laptop. There are a lot of things that need to be updated to accommodate the change. Only Microsoft can determine if the benefits of switching to 820 upon it's release will be more beneficial than releasing the new phones with the 810 series Snapdragon.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the next version of the chip will be faster and more efficient. That is why they iterate and make a new chip. But as soon as the 820 comes out that is 10% better, the 830 series will be in the pipeline, and it will be 10% better than the current best yet, with the 840 series chips will be behind that, etc. I stand behind what I said. There will always be the next best thing behind whatever is out there now, and I don't feel like my phone is obsolete because it "only" has a Snapdragon 800 in it.

Smartphones, like computers in the late 90s, make some users blind to specs. The raw numbers don't tell an accurate description of how fast and efficient a device will be in real world use, and even benchmarks skew results, as savvy designers have been known to design their hardware to specifically run the benchmarking utilities with high efficiency.

A smartphone's cost isn't simply the sum total of the parts inside....especially one single part (even though the SoC is the core component of the entire phone). You have to factor in any extras, the amount of RAM, the amount of storage, the camera lens apparatus, the inclusion of things like Qi charging, and the overall build quality of the phone.

Obviously parts alone aren't the only cost in a phone. That said, MS is going to charge flagship price no matter what soc they put in that phone so why not push for the latest.

Also, there is a difference between a chip coming out 6 months from a phone's release and about the same time. Use the newest chip that is out around that time.

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree. If there is indeed a problem with the 810, then yes, that is a very valid reason to avoid it and wait for the 820 series to come out. But if the 940 does include the SD810, then it doesn't immediately suggest failure. Some quick searching shows that Qualcomm has introduced a version 2.1 of the SD810, to alleviate overheating issues.

Switching from a SD810 to the upcoming 820 isn't as easy as replacing a socketed processor in your laptop. There are a lot of things that need to be updated to accommodate the change. Only Microsoft can determine if the benefits of switching to 820 upon it's release will be more beneficial than releasing the new phones with the 810 series Snapdragon.

Xperia Z3+/Z4 has the 2.1 version of snapdragon 810 and it still gets hot. So hot that Japanese retailers have posted warning signs in stores next to the devices.
OnePlus is also releasing their next flagship with the 2.1 and they claim to have sorted the heat issues, but their version is underclocked.

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
PhoneArena just did a test that includes the SD810 V1 AND the SD810 V2.1 in comparison to the Samsung Chip, Apple Chip, and Intel Atom... Long story short, both versions of the SD 810 heated up and throttled the worst in tests..... And the news gets worse... It is confirmed that the 810 IS in the 940XL...... Annnnnnd DOA, RIP 940....

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The 940 doesn't technically exist yet, Microsoft has yet to officially announce it, so we don't know for sure what processor it contains.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb