Snapdragon 820, Lumia 940xl

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The 820 is about to be released! Read up;

Where do you see that it's about to be released? All I could find is that it's been benchmarked, which means almost nothing.

Snapdragon 820 benchmarked, close to Exynos 7420 performance - GSMArena.com news

The Lumia 940 was just found in benchmarks, and that's confirmed to be months away. It's entirely possible that these two could be released months away from each other.

Frankly, I would like to be surprised and see the SD 820 in the Lumia 940, but I won't be surprised if it's not.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So... Do you guys think Microsoft has not built these phones as yet? Do you think they will wait till September/October to start the manufacturing process?

I don't know how long it takes Microsoft to create one phone. Far less that one phone x millions to supply the market. If they can do it quickly, hopefully they can wait for the 820/810 2.1 or whatever the case it.

but something tells me that these phones have already been designed and manufactured and simply waiting for an OS....

(I HOPE IM WRONG)

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
IF the 940 comes with a 810 it could be dead in the water. The tech press would kill it before it's even on the shelves. Microsoft really has to knock this one out of the park, it's the only way to get more people in to their ecosystem.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
New mcrsf ,,flagship" is already finished. Like guy before said, what do you think, they will wait month or two and then start make it them? Really, that's not how it works. If you anonounce somethink that's mean you got it, just being ,,teatral" or ,,polish" things around. People wait-people get excited-people buy-??-profit. That is how real busines is done.
That aside, it doesen't matter what cpu they will use, because they already used present best.
It will get overheated, it will have problems..but guess what, even 1520 and 930 chips heat like crazy and people still using them (myself too).
It doesen't really matter, mcsft make money from low-mid range phones, high end is just for entusiactic, ego driven and $$$full people.
Marketing.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is some food for thought, if the 810 v2.1 is in the 940 and doesn't over heat or throttle under-load wouldn't that be counted as good publicity?

We are just under a month away from OEM release of Windows 10 so there is bound to be more phone news as the weeks count down. Best wait and see as opposed to fretting over click bait article unless there is a lot of credibility behind it with solid sources.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
940 will come out with SD810 2.1, sorry, guys. Hopefully the flagships will release before the iphone 6s & note 5, and not after.

Last edited:

senrabwh

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is some food for thought, if the 810 v2.1 is in the 940 and doesn't over heat or throttle under-load wouldn't that be counted as good publicity?

We are just under a month away from OEM release of Windows 10 so there is bound to be more phone news as the weeks count down. Best wait and see as opposed to fretting over click bait article unless there is a lot of credibility behind it with solid sources.

According to tests done by PhoneArena, the 810 v2.1 does overheat and throttles itself as much as 60%!!!!! It is the worst throttle offender when compared to Apple chip, Samsung, and Intel.... That isn't reassuring news.. Why release a product when you know beforehand that it is defective... Or doesn't perform as intended AND is 6 months old AND a new generation is 60 days away from full production.....?? Takata airbags anyone? Lol, being funny, but see my point...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What point do you want to make other than guessing.
Are you really thinking that someone in this post (or even a visitor/member) is a decision marker at Microsoft and really know what is going to happen?

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Dream on.

And please explain the huge boost difference between the snapdragon 810 and 820 for a windows phone. Or even if they would use the snapdragon 805 or 808.

The 810 is just a stock reference ARM design while the 820 has custom designed kyro cores and will be able to yield much better performance than the 810. The 810 has been a flop as I owned the M9 and the performance was lackluster because the processor needed to undervolt in order to deal with the heat it was producing. Even after 10 minutes of just web browsing the device heated up way too much. So yes I am agreeing with OP that the 940 xl better have the 820.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 940 will come with Snapdragon 808 processor which is better than Snapdragon 810 in overall performance and thermal management to be used in Lumia 940 XL ( according to rumours and benchmarks) , but if Microsoft is going to release them in September/ October, then better release Lumia 940 XL with Snapdragon 820 processor away from the highly debated and failure like Snapdragon 810 processor. And Release Lumia 940XL 1 or 2 months later with by then latest Snapdragon 820 processor.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So, it seems the SD 820 is spread being tested and benchmarked. I just read an article that said it will have a fall release. That being said, the Lumia 940XL BETTER have the 820 and NOT the 810. The reason.... The 810 will be very old news by the time the 940 is announced, then 2 more months later we can get our hands on one. Meanwhile, Android manufacturers will be announcing and selling phones with the SD 820 and another WP flagship will be 6 months behind I specs..... But, what do I know, I still have my 1020..... Im just saying.... It would be a huge boost if they used the 820! How excited would you be! Answer honestly and don't make more excuses.... Excuses are like colds, everyone gets them and they suck to have...

Snapdragon 810, still unable to resolve the heat issue, because of which it has to be downclocked, thus resulting in benchmarks even lower than 805. Overall a FAILURE!!!!

Snapdragon 820 is a replacement to this faulty 810. If implemented in the upcoming flagships, it will be a huge success. However if MS opts for 810, it will be the biggest failure for any flagship device released by MS

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
940 will come out with SD810 2.1, sorry, guys. Hopefully the flagships will release before the iphone 6s & note 5, and not after.

810 is confirmed by Dan today.
Okay, who is Dan and where is the source for this supposed confirmation?

You both seem pretty sure, as do many in this thread, that the 810 will be the processor for the Win10 flagship. However, you are forgetting what has already been stated as fact by Joe Belfiore:
  1. The SoC for the new flagship hasn't been released yet.
  2. A new SoC is needed that is capable of driving multiple displays for Continuum.
  3. We are working with Qualcomm on a new SoC to achieve this, and are testing the prototypes for working with Continuum.

Sorry, there is just NO physical way it can be the 810, or the 808, or any other currently existing SoC on the market. It has to have the new features to drive multiple displays, or it won't be able to run Continuum. The new Windows 10 flagship phones will have Continuum.

The minimum it can be is an 812, but could possibly be an 820. We'll have to wait and see. What I can guarantee is there is no way it is an 810. They may have tested with an 810 early on since the one they needed wasn't available, but it can't be that in the final version, period.

So who is this lying Dan you're using as a source? I'm going to trust Joe Belfiore more than Anonymous Dan. Sorry.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I like Daniel and all, but if those specs for Cityman are "dead-on" accurate as he states, then Joe Belfiore is a liar. I don't believe that for one second. Those are rumored specs. He may trust the source, but it flies in the face of what Microsoft has stated the next Windows 10 flagship phone will be capable of doing, and makes more than one top exec at Microsoft a liar on that front.

The 820 has the GPU capable of driving the dual displays and the QHD native that the Microsoft execs have been stating Continuum phones would have. As a matter of fact, they stated that the continuum enabled phones would be capable of simultaneously running 2 displays at QHD, which means it can't be the 810, as that would not be possible.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It all depends on the Microsoft's release cycle vs Qualcomm's release cycle. In recent years, Qualcomm has gone with 8x0 release in spring and 8x5 release in fall. I'm not sure if they are releasing 815 this fall or even 820 wont be released anytime sooner. So yes, if SD810(which was released in spring 2015) is the only existing flagship chipset by fall 2015 and SD820 won't come earlier than spring 2016 then Microsoft's flagships are gonna be six months late with every flagship by virtue of its release cycle. Microsoft needs to align its flagship release dates with flagship chipsets release date and should become one of the first flagships to come with newer chipsets. Personally I want Microsoft mobile to go along Samsung's release cycle. 940 flagship equivalent in spring and 1020/1520 flagship equivalents in fall with focus on camera and digital pen inputs(as a note device) respectively.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos