How on earth is nobody focusing on...

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After reading Daniel's article revealing the 950 and 950XL, how on earth is nobody focused on the fact that:

-Microsoft is reportedly cutting ties with Verizon

And

-AT&T may not carry the 950XL (not to mention we have no clue if TMO and Sprint are on board)

Both of those moves would make sure that Windows 10 Mobile would hit the ground already dead. Not having a flagship (or anything) on Verizon...the US's largest carrier. That's a death sentence. Having the best phones across all major carriers in the US is crucial. That's why they have "failed" here. Look how where all the AT&T exclusives (specifically the 1020 and 1520) took WP...nowhere. We couldn't get them on Verizon even if we wanted to because of the whole CDMA thing. Not saying this just as a p!ssed off Verizon customer, but focused on the W10 situation as a whole. I can't bring it all to words right now as that's just so moronic...how can you NOT release phones on Verizon???!!!!

And as far as AT&T not carrying the 950XL...that's also inexcusable. Maybe it'll be on TMO, cool, but that doesn't help the folks on AT&T much (the other MEGA carrier, let's not forget). Maybe folks could get an unlocked version, but not having a variant on AT&T is just stupid. The average consumer wouldn't buy unlocked. Not only are they probably not aware, but they want that subsidy of some kind whether it's a standard two year, or Next.

Maybe HTC, Samsung, or LG could pick up the slack somewhere, like releasing SOMETHING on Verizon. However, as part of a consistent message, Microsoft simply needs to have their devices available across the board...not scattered here and there.

Just to get some responses out of the way from replies. No, I don't want to "just switch carriers". And by saying that, you'd be missing the point. No, I'm not trying to be a troll because these are serious concerns. And yes, I realize this is just a US problem that doesn't affect the rest of the world, but the US market is a major key to success, and Verizon, I think is the gateway to the US market.

Thanks for reading my vents and concerns, and I honestly hope others feel the same way.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Oh yeah. This needs to be a priority. From what I've read the solution is an unlocked phone with the appropriate band coverage. Remember Microsoft is expanding it's retail network. Lets hope they use that to their advantage. And I'm sure Tmo will step up just to **** off Verizon.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah. This needs to be a priority. From what I've read the solution is an unlocked phone with the appropriate band coverage. Remember Microsoft is expanding it's retail network. Lets hope they use that to their advantage. And I'm sure Tmo will step up just to **** off Verizon.

I'm sure TMO will too. However, as for myself (who actually would be willing to switch carriers, not considering all the average consumers who would not), I'm "stuck" on Verizon. Not saying that in a bad way since I like Big Red, but it's the best carrier in my area.

As far as unlocked devices, that would be totally awesome. As I understand, that way of buying phones is more popular overseas. However, here in the US, as I said, people go through their carriers, and don't even think of going elsewhere. Not to mention they wouldn't want to pay all that money for an unlocked phone

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So you want Microsoft to waste time and money on CDMA phones for Verizon and wind up with getting screwed like icon owners did? You saw how horrible those poor guys and girls were treated.

The worst thing is not the fact of a lack of phones. Its a Partner' who does more harm than good. Just imagine what would have happened if Verizon actually not only properly supported the icon but updated faster than they did.

Selling a windows phone on all carriers is perfection but if all 4 are not on board to help you the. Drop them and strengthen yourself on carriers who are good partners.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Selling a windows phone on all carriers is perfection but if all 4 are not on board to help you the. Drop them and strengthen yourself on carriers who are good partners.

None of the carriers are good partners. Microsoft should produce a phone that works on all 5 (counting US Cellular) major US carriers out of the box, and leave the carriers completely out of it. And to make it work, it will need to have CDMA capabilities as well. A GSM phone will only work on AT&T and T-Mobile, leaving 3 of the carriers out of it. Verizon being the largest is the most important.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
None of the carriers are good partners. Microsoft should produce a phone that works on all 5 (counting US Cellular) major US carriers out of the box, and leave the carriers completely out of it. And to make it work, it will need to have CDMA capabilities as well. A GSM phone will only work on AT&T and T-Mobile, leaving 3 of the carriers out of it. Verizon being the largest is the most important.

Att is certainly the best. They usually update all their phones and almost always get every model aside from the icon.

Ideally your idea sounds great but realize not every consumer can go out and pay $600-700 for phones nor will they. So releasing them themselves is not ideal by any means.

What I would love to see is Microsoft implement some sort of thing like next or edge or Jump where customers could do the same thing but through Microsoft. But that would then require a change in the American wireless industry.

sent from my iPhone...asking myself why I own one

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Will Verizon (or Sprint) activate a phone on their network they don't supply? If they wont then its a pointless exercise to produce a CDMA compatible phone. This is why GSM rules, your phone on your choice of carrier.

At the end of the day, Microsoft has evaluated the relationship they have with Verizon and deemed it detrimental so even though they'll lose a few users they decided terminating it is the best way to go. From the evidence over the years of how badly Verizon has treated WP can't say I blame them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ideally your idea sounds great but realize not every consumer can go out and pay $600-700 for phones nor will they. So releasing them themselves is not ideal by any means.

Yes that's correct. And that's why I do not think that Microsoft will get anywhere without the carriers. That is, unless they do something like your suggestion to...

What I would love to see is Microsoft implement some sort of thing like next or edge or Jump where customers could do the same thing but through Microsoft. But that would then require a change in the American wireless industry.

Without the backing of the carriers, I think something like this is Microsoft's only option. They might need to do the financing themselves (Google and Motorola are both doing this). It's not hard to sell $100 phones outright, but they want to sell flagships. They won't be such an easy sell off contract.

Will Verizon (or Sprint) activate a phone on their network they don't supply? If they wont then its a pointless exercise to produce a CDMA compatible phone. This is why GSM rules, your phone on your choice of carrier.

Yes. We were having a discussion about this on another thread. They will all activate a phone that has the correct CDMA and GSM bands. The factory unlocked iPhone 6/6+ and the Nexus 6 work on all 5 US carriers. Apple and Google both produced a device that works on all carriers; Microsoft can certainly do it as well.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you want Microsoft to waste time and money on CDMA phones for Verizon and wind up with getting screwed like icon owners did? You saw how horrible those poor guys and girls were treated.

The worst thing is not the fact of a lack of phones. Its a Partner' who does more harm than good. Just imagine what would have happened if Verizon actually not only properly supported the icon but updated faster than they did.

Except aren't updates now being pushed out by Microsoft rather than the carriers?

Either way, just having that presence on Verizon is still important. Maybe you're forgetting the sheer size of Verizon and its customer base. There's no way for Microsoft to succeed in the US without being on Big Red.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

At the end of the day, Microsoft has evaluated the relationship they have with Verizon and deemed it detrimental so even though they'll lose a few users they decided terminating it is the best way to go. From the evidence over the years of how badly Verizon has treated WP can't say I blame them.

If by "losing a few", you mean failing to acknowledge the largest customer base in the US, then yes, they'll be losing a few.

Not just Verizon being a pain in the @ss as others have said, but let's take a quick look...

What phones has Verizon got from Nokia? The 822 and the 928 were just variants of the "real" thing. And they never got the 1020 and 1520. So why would Verizon want to bust their @sses when they're not getting the dynamite phones that AT&T did (through the BS carrier exclusives)?

Nokia never released one solid flagship across the board, and it appears Microsoft won't either now. It would make it more marketable rather than having a totally different variant and different name for every carrier.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If by "losing a few", you mean failing to acknowledge the largest customer base in the US, then yes, they'll be losing a few.

Not just Verizon being a pain in the @ss as others have said, but let's take a quick look...

What phones has Verizon got from Nokia? The 822 and the 928 were just variants of the "real" thing. And they never got the 1020 and 1520. So why would Verizon want to bust their @sses when they're not getting the dynamite phones that AT&T did (through the BS carrier exclusives)?

Nokia never released one solid flagship across the board, and it appears Microsoft won't either now. It would make it more marketable rather than having a totally different variant and different name for every carrier.

What good is having a large customer base when the carrier itself puts obstacles in the way of buying the phones? And at the end of the day all this is known to Microsoft so if they still made this decision the positives must outweigh the negatives.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What good is having a large customer base when the carrier itself puts obstacles in the way of buying the phones? And at the end of the day all this is known to Microsoft so if they still made this decision the positives must outweigh the negatives.

What obstacles exactly?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Except aren't updates now being pushed out by Microsoft rather than the carriers?.
Updates have always been served from MS or OEM servers. However, neither can legally push an update to a carrier's phone without the carrier signing off first. It's always been like that and it still is.
The only progress we've had are things like the PfD or insiders programs, which don't require carrier's permission to distribute.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Updates have always been served from MS or OEM servers. However, neither can legally push an update to a carrier's phone without the carrier signing off first. It's always been like that and it still is.
The only progress we've had are things like the PfD or insiders programs, which don't require carrier's permission to distribute.

Right, I understand that, but I remember Microsoft announced that they are "bypassing" the carriers in the sense that it's not going exactly through them. The carriers will still get a chance to test it, but Microsoft will be pushing it out directly to the devices.

Or something like that...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So why would Verizon want to bust their @sses when they're not getting the dynamite phones that AT&T did (through the BS carrier exclusives)?

Yes the exclusives were/are a problem for Microsoft, but I don't think they had a choice. I doubt they wanted to do it any more than we want them to do it. But a WP is not an iPhone or Galaxy S series or Note where the carrier cannot afford NOT to do it.

My opinion is that Microsoft needs to produce an unlocked phone that works on all carriers, including Verizon. Granted, if Verizon doesn't sell it they won't get the sales they would if Verizon would carry it in their stores, but at least it would be an option for Verizon's large customer base. If Microsoft sells an unlocked phone for all carriers, and comes up with some kind of financing to take the place of Edge or a 2 year contract, they might have a chance.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes the exclusives were/are a problem for Microsoft, but I don't think they had a choice. I doubt they wanted to do it any more than we want them to do it. But a WP is not an iPhone or Galaxy S series or Note where the carrier cannot afford NOT to do it.

But in this case, it was AT&T paying Nokia for the exclusivity. It wasn't that Nokia or Microsoft was paying the carriers to have the phone, and it wasn't the other carriers didn't want to carry the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12