10-12-2015 01:12 PM
216 1234 ...
tools
    I am sure I may be downvoted
    No worries; you're not on Reddit!

And speaking of Reddit, judging by your recent rant there about Android apps on WP, and others here on the same subject, I'm surprised you're still around the WP community!
    08-27-2015 10:03 AM
    I find it kind of ridiculous/silly all the complaints about the new phones and what not when

A. Saying it looks cheap....

Except up until recently, didn't Samsung make the ugliest of phones and people were steadily buying them lol. Why? Because they worked and worked well for Android.

Cheap plastic phones that were being charged at high prices...it wasn't until what last year or this year that they actually decided to drop the plastic lol. And Samsung plastic was the cheap plastic compared to the lumia type.

B. Most of the people complaining about how it looks are the same exact people who will throw it in a case lmao.

C. At the end of the day, are we truly that superficial to worry about it looks. I care more about the performance, I care more about what Lumias are known for THE CAMERA and I am excited to try out the new windows 10 features.

That is kind of what matters LOL. I am sure I may be downvoted but I am sitting here looking like "Yall are worried about looks....I care about the power and the features of the OS/Lumia features".

I just hope that this is not some stock design to try and give Non-LUmia OEMs a leg up because I am not here for some Samsung/HTC android ports.
    Well iit's been too long of a wait to just release an uninspiring flagship. If Microsoft had more market share and were releasing flagships(and not exclusive to one carrier by the way) on a yearly cycle then maybe they could get away with what Samsung used to do with the Note series and the Galaxy S series.(even Samsung has changed the function over form practice) If loyal fans and people who were waiting to feel something just from the looks of the device are yawning already(for the record I'm of the belief that the real 940/940XL will look much better than these "leaks") then don't expect anyone else to care about this launch. You seem to be downplaying the importance of this launch. This is a golden opportunity for Microsoft to set themselves apart with an OS in Windows 10 that is widely accepted and successful and a mobile form factor that would work seamlessly with that. A flagship at this time with even better cameras than the already great competition, removable batteries and sd card expansion wrapped in a gorgeous design could really begin the uphill battle of gaining more relevancy and sales. Great flagships and a highly capable OS would attract developers to port their apps over to Windows 10 Mobile. And just maybe would get other OEMs to bring along more high end hardware to fill out the space and give consumers more choice. All of this could make a world of difference not only for our user experience but for people looking to go elsewhere. Then Windows 10 Mobile will gain some respect.
    hasasimo and Joe Dubya like this.
    08-27-2015 10:14 AM
    Let the haters hate, black-black never looked good on lumias. Give me a 950 with white+balck and I'm happy. It will really look premium and cool no matter what people says everyone will envy my phone like they do with the other hated lumia (my 930).

Look at the all-black render and add in white to the back and the sides, so coool, can't wait.
    08-27-2015 10:21 AM
    At this point, i would only buy this phone if they include the continuum device in the box, as a compensation for the loss of premium looks.

Oh and a cover that changes how it looks.
    Define "premium looks".
    libra89 and neo158 like this.
    08-27-2015 10:22 AM
    Samsung, LG, and HTC will all likely be releasing flagship Windows 10 Mobile phones this fall so people will have other choices. For me, I'll be getting the lovely, Imo, Lumia 950XL.
    neo158 likes this.
    08-27-2015 10:24 AM
    Define "premium looks".
    Apple successfully defined premium as with metal and people accepted it because you know, it is apple!

Now Samsung is trying to use glass.

Top quality plastics are so much preferrable to me over metal, there are so many reasons why it is superior... I'm not sure about glass though so I can't judge.
    a5cent and taymur like this.
    08-27-2015 10:27 AM
    A premium phone should also have a premium design that sets it apart from the others offered by the same OEM. Not seeing much of that with these phones and from that perspective I agree. These are not going to attract people to pick them up and play with them compared to a well designed metal phone sitting next to it, only the fanboys will seek them out.

However these are Windows Phones so the point is moot as they'll be stuck in the back of the store anyway.....
    I assume the new Lumia devices are mainly meant to keep current users on board rather than attracting new users, because you're not going to keep folks sticking around with just the Lumia 640 and budget releases from Blu.

I don't think even Microsoft realistically expects to draw iPhone and flagship Android users in great numbers, so I don't expect Windows 10 Mobile to change the game, at all, in terms of Windows Mobile marketshare standing. The new devices are intended to keep the 2.5% share from frittering away to 1% or less.
    08-27-2015 10:28 AM
    I was expecting a full metal body
    08-27-2015 10:30 AM
    I don't think even Microsoft realistically expects to draw iPhone and flagship Android users, so I don't expect Windows 10 Mobile to change the game, at all, in terms of Windows Mobile marketshare standing.
    That's the whole point of windows10pc+windows10 mobile-flagships, you may think it won't work but saying Microsoft had done all this development knowing they would not succeed makes no sense :)
    08-27-2015 10:31 AM
    I don't know how it is in the U.S. or anywhere else. But here malls have phone kiosks everywhere with phones. And as I stand there looking around people will be walking by, notice a really nice looking phone and stop to look at it. It's always a really nice premium phone that gets their attention. Just do this yourself. Stand by a few kiosks for a day. Tell me what you notice. Go to a parking lot and see which cars get the most looks. You don't understand that do you? We are a society that basis everything on its appeal. You look at women/men you find attractive, cars, phones, buildings, paintings, shoes, clothing, jewellery. It doesn't matter about the functionality. That's something people think about 2nd. 1st is appeal. Appeal will always be first. You find a girl that you find really attractive, you try to get to know her, and maybe things won't work out because you don't go well together. But you didn't approach her because you think she may have a good personality and you may click with her. You did it because of appeal. Same goes with phones. You see a nice phone and you go to look at it, but then you realize that it's not as functional as you need it to be, or you do take it because it does have that functionality you need. But it's that design that pulls you in at first. You're thinking from a techies point of view or someone who already is into a specific OS because you've used it and loved it. But the majority of people don't care. They will be pulled in by the design of the phone. They don't know anything about it till something makes them want to find out more.
    08-27-2015 10:38 AM
    That's the whole point of windows10pc+windows10 mobile-flagships, you may think it won't work but saying Microsoft had done all this development knowing they would not succeed makes no sense :)
    If you ask any Microsoft executive, I'm positive that nobody inside the company realistically expects waves of iPhone and Nexus/Samsung/HTC users to drop their phones and buy Microsoft Lumias.
    I'm sorry, and no offense, but thinking so is delusional.

Microsoft's bread and butter is 'big' Windows, that gets sold in licenses to the enterprise and government institutions. The tie-in with Windows Mobile is a long shot to attract users, and mainly meant to keep a foot in the mobile game, even if they don't move many stock units.
    08-27-2015 10:44 AM
    Isn't the glossy Lumia 640 similar to the iphone 5c?
    True, for Lumia 640. But I think Lumia offers more cool colours than iPhone 5C. The choice of colours also has a great impact on the perception of appearance.
    08-27-2015 11:12 AM
    I don't gonna pay the price of a Ferrari if it looks like a FIAT. Doesn't matter if the car has 400 horses under the hood.
    08-27-2015 11:23 AM
    I find it kind of ridiculous/silly all the complaints about the new phones and what not when

Except up until recently, didn't Samsung make the ugliest of phones and people were steadily buying them lol. Why? Because they worked and worked well for Android.

Cheap plastic phones that were being charged at high prices...it wasn't until what last year or this year that they actually decided to drop the plastic lol. And Samsung plastic was the cheap plastic compared to the lumia type.

B. Most of the people complaining about how it looks are the same exact people who will throw it in a case lmao.

C. At the end of the day, are we truly that superficial to worry about it looks. I care more about the performance, I care more about what Lumias are known for THE CAMERA and I am excited to try out the new windows 10 features.

That is kind of what matters LOL. I am sure I may be downvoted but I am sitting here looking like "Yall are worried about looks....I care about the power and the features of the OS/Lumia features".

I just hope that this is not some stock design to try and give Non-LUmia OEMs a leg up because I am not here for some Samsung/HTC android ports.
    A. You're explaining exactly why we didn't own Samsungs, and chose Lumias instead. The latter looked a lot more sleek, elegant, and premium. I never thought I'd see the day a Samsung looks more premium than a Windows Phone. If those renders are indeed authentic, that day has arrived.

B. I've never used a case, since my Lumia 800 4 years ago.

C. Performance is a completely separate issue. I have 0 complaints about the specs and believe it to be the best OS around. The design of the phone however, is a very significant drop-off.

The phones look like mid-tier Lumias at best. I never thought Microsoft would be missing Nokia's design sense this quickly. Unique, superior aesthetics were one of the differentiators that brought many people to the Lumia line to begin with, whether you'd like to believe that or not, and Microsoft is now losing this advantage.

P.S. It doesn't boil down to plastic vs. metal... the Lumia 800, 900, and 920 were gorgeous and all polycarbonate. While an aluminum frame would have helped the bland, 2012 HTC-esque design of the 950 and 950 XL, they could have done much better with design while keeping things all polycarabonate.
    Joe Dubya and a5cent like this.
    08-27-2015 12:20 PM
    So you rather pay a lot for looks then a a bit less for performance? lol A fool and his money.......
    You'd be more of a fool to buy something you're not completely happy with... Are you really going to act like phones don't sell on looks?? They are all using the same mixed and matched internals. What the hell are you buying you're phone based on??

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Jonnie LasVegas and hasasimo like this.
    08-27-2015 12:24 PM
    Guys, do you really expect people to pay $600 for this? But let's not lose hope as these aren't straight from Microsoft. A few things might have changed.
    08-27-2015 12:44 PM
    I'm afraid they do look ugly. I currently have one of the best designed Lumias ever, the 925! New flagship mobiles should look better than my 2013 phone
    hasasimo and dula714 like this.
    08-27-2015 12:55 PM
    It's not quite as striking as the Lumia Icon/930, but I'm overall happy with it.
    Look at the bright side, at least it doesn't look like an iPhone/iPhone copycats
    08-27-2015 01:04 PM
    untitled.png

man if I am saying it looks cheap, let me give a reference, compare lumia 535 and lumia 950/XL on the face side by side and you'd say the cheapness overflows
    dakken and Vijay_Anand like this.
    08-27-2015 01:10 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	477.2 KB 
ID:	111096
    man if I am saying it looks cheap, let me give a reference, compare lumia 535 and lumia 950/XL on the face side by side and you'd say the cheapness overflows
    Nope I don't see it.
    08-27-2015 01:21 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	477.2 KB 
ID:	111096
    The front will look as gorgeous as its screen so it should look very premium since it is a badass amoled 5.2" qhd!!!
    08-27-2015 01:30 PM
    My icon looks better
    hasasimo likes this.
    08-27-2015 01:35 PM
    I'm afraid they do look ugly. I currently have one of the best designed Lumias ever, the 925! New flagship mobiles should look better than my 2013 phone
    Yes the gorgeous 925. The one that did indeed come to my carrier(T-Mobile). The one ruined by the idiots who got together and came up with the grand idea to limit it to 16gb of storage even though the Lumia 920 and 928 both came with 32. I'm still a little hurt.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RaRa85; 08-27-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    08-27-2015 01:40 PM
    It seems like everyone has been waiting a long time for these flagships, so the hype has been driven up to absurd levels. There's a lot riding on these flagships, and everyone knows it.

These were supposed to be inspiring devices that pumped up the masses to buy even lower end Lumia's. We saw this happen with the L920, it was the hero device that enabled the L520 to sell as well as it did.

Apple and Samsung really upped their game this past year with aluminum and curved glass. I think many of us were expecting Cityman or Talkman to at least match those devices in beauty. Doesn't Microsoft know how important these phones are? How can they expect people to switch to Lumia when their new flagships don't look nearly as good as their competitors phones?

After reading all of the comments in the front page article, it seems to me that the one thing that's causing panic in everybody, is the fact that Cityman and Talkman don't even match the beauty of older Lumia's. Does Microsoft not understand what they're going up against? The new Lumia flagships needed to be beautiful to compete with Apple and Samsung, and I feel like they really missed their mark.
    08-27-2015 02:04 PM
    It seems like everyone has been waiting a long time for these flagships, so the hype has been driven up to absurd levels. There's a lot riding on these flagships, and everyone knows it.

These were supposed to be inspiring devices that pumped up the masses to buy even lower end Lumia's. We saw this happen with the L920, it was the hero device that enabled the L520 to sell as well as it did.

Apple and Samsung really upped their game this past year with aluminum and curved glass. I think many of us were expecting Cityman or Talkman to at least match those devices in beauty. Doesn't Microsoft know how important these phones are? How can they expect people to switch to Lumia when their new flagships don't look nearly as good as their competitors phones?

After reading all of the comments in the front page article, it seems to me that the one thing that's causing panic in everybody, is the fact that Cityman and Talkman don't even match the beauty of older Lumia's. Does Microsoft not understand what they're going up against? The new Lumia flagships needed to be beautiful to compete with Apple and Samsung, and I feel like they really missed their mark.
    First beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of the 950XL. Next, why do they "have" to be beautiful to compete? You people make no since.
    Slovenix likes this.
    08-27-2015 02:46 PM
216 1234 ...