10-12-2015 01:12 PM
216 ... 56789
tools
    That would be fine if the 950's polycarbonate design was even remotely as beautiful as the 735's design...
    The 735 is long and rectangular and looks ugly
    09-01-2015 04:51 PM
    But what is the point of releasing a flagship last year when there was no major update? What company do you know that just releases a new flagship with no major updates to the os? It doesn't make sense to release a flagship on windows phone 8.1 update 1 when there is no real difference in update 1 vs 8.1
    Well my point is that they've had ample time to get their stuff together while they continue to ask loyal fans to be patient. And they sure as heck didn't stop releasing the cheap $50 ones. Microsoft really has the most loyal supporters I must say. I was in love with Windows Phone since day one but I got out last year when they cancelled the McLaren and on top of that only one flagship came to T-Mobile and on top of that it only had 16gb of internal storage with no memory card slot. Who else is going to change directions so many times while being already behind on features and apps and ask their few supporters to wait until they get things together? Remember the WP 8 issue with the core changes and older hardware not being able to update to 8.0? It has been a long time and Microsoft is supposed to give us something for our patience. Seriously. They owe us(I say us because I do plan to return to the platform) for being so loyal while they figure things out. I think Windows 10 solves a lot of what was wrong from the beginning. The flagship for this year should evoke a very strong and positive reaction and it just hasn't. It's not a new design we're getting. We're basically getting slightly modified Lumia 640/640XL(based off the leaked photo and WP renders) with high end specs. But I'm going to reserve judgment until the announcement.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    ejlee072006, trivishal and GMC262 like this.
    09-01-2015 06:10 PM
    Everyone here missing the point. We are all windows phone fans here - if msft succeeds in getting us to buy these things they've failed. We're stuck at 3% market share and if that doesn't turn around soon Satya is going to kill WP - well be buying android or iPhone and using office/OneDrive over there. The real question we should be discussing is whether anyone we know is going to look over our shoulder on the bus and say "hey, that Cityman/Talkman looks awesome, trade you my GS6/iPhone6/Note4/M8/Xperia for that!"? If msft does not do that with these phones they've failed - we are all going to upgrade regardless, and in a year msft will tackle mobile with plan b. I think the collective debate and complaints from this community regarding the renders is the real fear that the phones are good enough for us, but not for our friends/co workers who already think we are crazy. I am personally not a fan of the renders, but I reserve judgement until I see them in the flesh. Regardless, I'll probably buy one, but I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't switch to android now instead of in a year's time when msft forces me to do so. Let's hope that launch had some surprises!
    I believe this sums it up.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    09-01-2015 06:38 PM
    they make more money on ROYALTIES than the phone alone
    I wonder sometimes if Microsoft really wants to hurt Android. So far Windows Phone has been like pouring money down the drain, but they make billions annually from Android.
    ejlee072006 likes this.
    09-01-2015 07:20 PM
    I wonder sometimes if Microsoft really wants to hurt Android. So far Windows Phone has been like pouring money down the drain, but they make billions annually from Android.
    Really doesnt matter what Microsoft does at the moment. Till the apps come, marketshare will be what it is. Might as well make cash on android while you're at it
    09-01-2015 07:46 PM
    You must have thought the 800, 900, 920, 830, and 1520 were ugly too then. Not surprised you think the 950 looks good.
    Lmfao.
    I don't like the looks of the 800 and 900.

I loved my 920 but it's design was it the best.

I do think the 830 looks nice and I loved my 1520s design. Though I wish it looked more like the 1320
    09-02-2015 12:29 AM
    They started to do that. Look at Acer's Jade. Btw, Nokia is not dead. Still a functioning company.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:59 PM
    How will Lumia 940/XL compete with S6/Note 5/S6 Edge/Edge+, Iphone 6S/Plus,Xperia Z5/Premium(4K display), Moto X Pure/Style, with these designs, and ugly transparent start screen tiles?
    09-02-2015 10:12 PM
    How will Lumia 940/XL compete with S6/Note 5/S6 Edge/Edge+, Iphone 6S/Plus,Xperia Z5/Premium(4K display), Moto X Pure/Style, with these designs, and ugly transparent start screen tiles?
    In the current build as well as previous builds, you can customize the transparency of your tiles.
    09-03-2015 01:16 AM
    In the current build as well as previous builds, you can customize the transparency of your tiles.
    No, I want different colourful tiles as in pc, but with transparency options.
    Montpbm likes this.
    09-03-2015 10:28 AM
    No, I want different colourful tiles as in pc, but with transparency options.
    This is what I thought of when reading your post.

3rwg61.jpg
    stevesu likes this.
    09-03-2015 02:16 PM
    I wasn't aware people didn't like the way it looks. Kind of a weird stance as it looks similar to most other phones on the market...but anyway.
    To address one of your statements "saying it looks cheap": I was manning a booth at a show, next to the Windows Phones, back when the Lumia 800 came out, and I observed something VERY interesting. People from Europe LOVED the Lumia 800 and HATED the Samsung Focus. And the opposite opinion was held by the Asian folks. Folks from the US were pretty 50/50 on design preference.
    Also worth considering - from what I've read, only Apple makes money on their phones and while Samsung has made money on a few of their phones, last year they didn't make money either.
    Not sure what to take from all of that, but it seemed relevant here.
    Cheers.
    09-03-2015 04:10 PM
    Just some early sketches and ideas of what a flagship could look like with full renders to follow.uploadfromtaptalk1441314780153.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441314795944.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441314808540.jpg

FearL0rd likes this.
    09-03-2015 04:13 PM
    Just some early sketches and ideas of what a flagship could look like with full renders to follow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441314780153.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	111617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441314795944.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	111618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441314808540.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	111619

You do know that designing a phone, flagship or otherwise is more than drawings and renders. You have to accommodate things like mics,speakers,attenas,digitizers, cameras and sensors and lenses both front and rear plus the battery simcard placement.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    09-04-2015 03:08 PM
    You do know that designing a phone, flagship or otherwise is more than drawings and renders. You have to accommodate things like mics,speakers,attenas,digitizers, cameras and sensors and lenses both front and rear plus the battery simcard placement.

Trust me I do but everything starts with an overall design or vision.

09-04-2015 03:19 PM
    What's absolutely hilarious is people are getting all worked up over this in the first place. Smartphones are slabs and what else can you do with a slab that hasn't already been done? The majority of these device already look the same. Also most of you seem to change phones like you change your underwear so who cares? You'll move on to the next device soon enough anyway. I've never had a lumia but will consider the 950XL (if my carried offers it) simply because it bigger than the Neo I have now.

tangledW likes this.
    09-04-2015 04:58 PM
    Trust me I do but everything starts with an overall design or vision.

And then comprimises have to be made in order to fit those designs or the designs have to be compromised to fit whats going inside.

09-04-2015 07:10 PM
    It's surprising that there is no fingerprint scanner thought. Paying with Windows Hello would be cool too. :D just an idea. I don't actually need it as this paying option is not available just yet around my place.
    09-04-2015 08:53 PM
    And then comprimises have to be made in order to fit those designs or the designs have to be compromised to fit whats going inside.

And then every once in a while a device breaks the mold of what was done before. That's called innovation. It doesn't happen without trying something new. New form factors. New features. Something to set it apart. From a physical perspective these flagships aren't even close to even trying anything new. I'm just having a little fun and maybe showing that even with just a little effort they could've created a far more interesting device after more than a year to develop it.

GMC262 likes this.
    09-04-2015 10:04 PM
    I wonder how many of the people frantically complaining were ever actually planning on buying a flagship Windows phone.
    Rod Iron likes this.
    09-04-2015 10:44 PM
    I wonder how many of the people frantically complaining were ever actually planning on buying a flagship Windows phone.
    I do. I am so ready to upgrade my L1520 but not with this low/mid-end looking device. I'm betting on a Surface Phone. Make it happen MS.
    09-05-2015 07:03 AM
    I was wondering if anyone who thought it looked acceptable ever owned any flagship before. (Cause it looks like any old midrange device they'd be used to. ;) )

theefman likes this.
    09-05-2015 06:38 PM
    I was wondering if anyone who thought it looked acceptable ever owned any flagship before. (Cause it looks like any old midrange device they'd be used to. ;) )

Because it doesn't have rounded corners lmfao.
    09-05-2015 06:58 PM
    Yayayaya and when the real device comes out...
    09-05-2015 07:20 PM
    This was the last windowsphone, but insurance cancelled it, in the future it will be the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Are you implying that the iPhones are fine because a Nokia phone can be broken? Because the iPhone 6 loses in every drop test comparison I've ever seen.
    09-07-2015 03:15 PM
216 ... 56789