Oh God, the Lumia 950/950 XL sucks....Except wait....

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Guys, do you really expect people to pay $600 for this? But let's not lose hope as these aren't straight from Microsoft. A few things might have changed.

Mahmoud Hussein

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid they do look ugly. I currently have one of the best designed Lumias ever, the 925! New flagship mobiles should look better than my 2013 phone

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
It's not quite as striking as the Lumia Icon/930, but I'm overall happy with it.
Look at the bright side, at least it doesn't look like an iPhone/iPhone copycats

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Untitled.png
I find it kind of ridiculous/silly all the complaints about the new phones and what not when

A. Saying it looks cheap....
man if I am saying it looks cheap, let me give a reference, compare lumia 535 and lumia 950/XL on the face side by side and you'd say the cheapness overflows

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid they do look ugly. I currently have one of the best designed Lumias ever, the 925! New flagship mobiles should look better than my 2013 phone
Yes the gorgeous 925. The one that did indeed come to my carrier(T-Mobile). The one ruined by the idiots who got together and came up with the grand idea to limit it to 16gb of storage even though the Lumia 920 and 928 both came with 32. I'm still a little hurt.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It seems like everyone has been waiting a long time for these flagships, so the hype has been driven up to absurd levels. There's a lot riding on these flagships, and everyone knows it.

These were supposed to be inspiring devices that pumped up the masses to buy even lower end Lumia's. We saw this happen with the L920, it was the hero device that enabled the L520 to sell as well as it did.

Apple and Samsung really upped their game this past year with aluminum and curved glass. I think many of us were expecting Cityman or Talkman to at least match those devices in beauty. Doesn't Microsoft know how important these phones are? How can they expect people to switch to Lumia when their new flagships don't look nearly as good as their competitors phones?

After reading all of the comments in the front page article, it seems to me that the one thing that's causing panic in everybody, is the fact that Cityman and Talkman don't even match the beauty of older Lumia's. Does Microsoft not understand what they're going up against? The new Lumia flagships needed to be beautiful to compete with Apple and Samsung, and I feel like they really missed their mark.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It seems like everyone has been waiting a long time for these flagships, so the hype has been driven up to absurd levels. There's a lot riding on these flagships, and everyone knows it.

These were supposed to be inspiring devices that pumped up the masses to buy even lower end Lumia's. We saw this happen with the L920, it was the hero device that enabled the L520 to sell as well as it did.

Apple and Samsung really upped their game this past year with aluminum and curved glass. I think many of us were expecting Cityman or Talkman to at least match those devices in beauty. Doesn't Microsoft know how important these phones are? How can they expect people to switch to Lumia when their new flagships don't look nearly as good as their competitors phones?

After reading all of the comments in the front page article, it seems to me that the one thing that's causing panic in everybody, is the fact that Cityman and Talkman don't even match the beauty of older Lumia's. Does Microsoft not understand what they're going up against? The new Lumia flagships needed to be beautiful to compete with Apple and Samsung, and I feel like they really missed their mark.

First beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of the 950XL. Next, why do they "have" to be beautiful to compete? You people make no since.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Everyone here missing the point. We are all windows phone fans here - if msft succeeds in getting us to buy these things they've failed. We're stuck at 3% market share and if that doesn't turn around soon Satya is going to kill WP - well be buying android or iPhone and using office/OneDrive over there. The real question we should be discussing is whether anyone we know is going to look over our shoulder on the bus and say "hey, that Cityman/Talkman looks awesome, trade you my GS6/iPhone6/Note4/M8/Xperia for that!"? If msft does not do that with these phones they've failed - we are all going to upgrade regardless, and in a year msft will tackle mobile with plan b. I think the collective debate and complaints from this community regarding the renders is the real fear that the phones are good enough for us, but not for our friends/co workers who already think we are crazy. I am personally not a fan of the renders, but I reserve judgement until I see them in the flesh. Regardless, I'll probably buy one, but I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't switch to android now instead of in a year's time when msft forces me to do so. Let's hope that launch had some surprises!

keathkeath

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I was reallly unfavorable of the design once I saw evleak's leaked renders. Now, as I see it, if these are the real deal, I might go buy one of these because they are bland (for my taste), which is an advantage. Living in a country populated with people who would rob you your highly priced phone due to their premium design made me realize that "Hey, having a simple looking phone with beast specs are good as well", since these phones have a lower chance of being robbed and lower chance of me crying like a baby for a robbed 600$ (I guess) phone.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Everyone here missing the point. We are all windows phone fans here - if msft succeeds in getting us to buy these things they've failed. We're stuck at 3% market share and if that doesn't turn around soon Satya is going to kill WP - well be buying android or iPhone and using office/OneDrive over there. The real question we should be discussing is whether anyone we know is going to look over our shoulder on the bus and say "hey, that Cityman/Talkman looks awesome, trade you my GS6/iPhone6/Note4/M8/Xperia for that!"? If msft does not do that with these phones they've failed - we are all going to upgrade regardless, and in a year msft will tackle mobile with plan b. I think the collective debate and complaints from this community regarding the renders is the real fear that the phones are good enough for us, but not for our friends/co workers who already think we are crazy. I am personally not a fan of the renders, but I reserve judgement until I see them in the flesh. Regardless, I'll probably buy one, but I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't switch to android now instead of in a year's time when msft forces me to do so. Let's hope that launch had some surprises!

This guy gets it.

Personally I don't mind the look of these devices, and specs matter more to me (than looks), but it is exactly as you said.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I just remember how i liked the L900 design and initially didn't like the 920 shape that much, too bulky and heavy but the moment i saw it in person and hold it, my opinion changed... the phone started to look much nicer in person than those pictures renders.

In my opinion, both phones look OK... not ugly but it the lacks the "bling" factor, personally i don't care that much about the aesthetics of the devices as long it remains functional and durable it's all good for me.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's better not be glass or metal otherwise they will keep it.
Glass breaks (Note 3) and metal dents and\or bend (BlackBerry Passport)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb