09-17-2015 08:45 AM
330 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    even the new blackberry android phone looks more premium. Once the keyboard slides in the bezel is actually quite small, enough for a speaker.

blackberry-venice-tinhte.jpg
    08-30-2015 05:19 PM
    It's a poorly executed design. Plain and simple. The bezel is ridiculous. In a day and age where almost every company has made the attempt to minimize bezel, it looks like Microsoft didn't get the memo. The speaker located near the camera just isn't practical. If anything place it near the bottom and below the device along the charging port. The Windows logo on the back looks tacky, they should have kept it subtle. The only pros of this phone are with the Cityman. I have always liked the 1020 style camera ring which the 830 adopted.

You can't possibly tell me this:

Attachment 111329

Looks more like a flagship than this:

Attachment 111330

And that concept it's unrealistic in the slightest. It's a evolution of the 930 and 830 respectively. Following the trends others have gone towards with smaller bezels, curved edges to the display. Thin profile. And more importantly the design language flows better with the Surface line-up of products. Bottom line the 950 has a uninspired design.
    You do realise the bezel looks so big is because the the buttons are onscreen.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-30-2015 05:48 PM
    i like them.. i am surely gonna buy them... they won't fail to stand out just like my Nokia 1520!
    08-30-2015 05:56 PM
    I seriuosly must be blind because i dont see what any of you peole are talking about,,,i see a phone.

08-30-2015 06:13 PM
    even the new blackberry android phone looks more premium. Once the keyboard slides in the bezel is actually quite small, enough for a speaker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-venice-tinhte.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	111333
    Just out of curiosity,, what exactly about it screams -premium?

08-30-2015 06:24 PM

BB has always made good handset..and this one is no exception.Now if it would have windows 10 on that phone it would be awsome
    11B1P and colinkiama like this.
    08-30-2015 06:30 PM

While I'm not a fan of physical keyboards. The design alone shows that there was care taken to make sure everything was perfect. The materials look nice and sturdy. The screen design bending at the edges and the minimal bezel at the lower end. It's a bit thick but that's just a trade off for a physical keyboard.
    The MS one looks like a construction helmet wrapped around the phone. The render was also done not by a Microsoft employee but by someone who saw it apparently. Now compare it to the leaked images, those images look much worse than what the render would have you believe. But even with the render it does not look great, but only time will tell.

We are about to experience the 2nd coming of the iphone fever. iPhone 6 had some of the best sales ever, yet many have been waiting for the 2 gig version. So my guess is when it's released a rush of people will buy it. By the time October rolls around, most people would have already bought phones so it leaves very little out there for MS. And no one will buy an MS phone as a gift. Parents/siblings/family usually want to get a gift someone will like, and when it comes to phones no one really uses Windows Phone and most of them don't even know about its existence. iPhone is probably the most likely device to be purchased as a gift. So holiday season won't really help MS. It will only be people buying phones for themselves.

Once again they would have to have a pretty gorgeous phone that puts sparkles into peoples' eyes for anyone to want to buy it.
    08-30-2015 07:03 PM
    While I'm not a fan of physical keyboards. The design alone shows that there was care taken to make sure everything was perfect. The materials look nice and sturdy. The screen design bending at the edges and the minimal bezel at the lower end. It's a bit thick but that's just a trade off for a physical keyboard.
    The MS one looks like a construction helmet wrapped around the phone. The render was also done not by a Microsoft employee but by someone who saw it apparently. Now compare it to the leaked images, those images look much worse than what the render would have you believe. But even with the render it does not look great, but only time will tell.

We are about to experience the 2nd coming of the iphone fever. iPhone 6 had some of the best sales ever, yet many have been waiting for the 2 gig version. So my guess is when it's released a rush of people will buy it. By the time October rolls around, most people would have already bought phones so it leaves very little out there for MS. And no one will buy an MS phone as a gift. Parents/siblings/family usually want to get a gift someone will like, and when it comes to phones no one really uses Windows Phone and most of them don't even know about its existence. iPhone is probably the most likely device to be purchased as a gift. So holiday season won't really help MS. It will only be people buying phones for themselves.

Once again they would have to have a pretty gorgeous phone that puts sparkles into peoples' eyes for anyone to want to buy it.
    All that and still didnt answere the question.

08-30-2015 07:18 PM
    It's a poorly executed design. Plain and simple. The bezel is ridiculous. In a day and age where almost every company has made the attempt to minimize bezel, it looks like Microsoft didn't get the memo. The speaker located near the camera just isn't practical. If anything place it near the bottom and below the device along the charging port. The Windows logo on the back looks tacky, they should have kept it subtle. The only pros of this phone are with the Cityman. I have always liked the 1020 style camera ring which the 830 adopted.

You can't possibly tell me this:

Attachment 111329

Looks more like a flagship than this:

Attachment 111330

And that concept it's unrealistic in the slightest. It's a evolution of the 930 and 830 respectively. Following the trends others have gone towards with smaller bezels, curved edges to the display. Thin profile. And more importantly the design language flows better with the Surface line-up of products. Bottom line the 950 has a uninspired design.
    They look almost identical with the exception of a few changes.

08-30-2015 07:19 PM
    They look almost identical with the exception of a few changes.

Lol, I love these statements. They're the same, except for... They always make me chuckle.
    iggim likes this.
    08-30-2015 07:32 PM
    So unless a phone has a metal frame it doesnt look premium?

Not necessarily. The 920 and 1520 were polycarbonate but looked very premium. This looks like a thinner 640.
    08-30-2015 07:39 PM
    Lol, I love these statements. They're the same, except for... They always make me chuckle.
    Thats why i said "almost".

08-30-2015 08:02 PM
    I'm going to wait until I see an actual picture and not a render before I make any decisions.
    Actual pictures have been leaked already.

08-30-2015 08:40 PM
    Actual pictures have been leaked already.

The last actual photo I saw still had the "hide how the body looks" casing on it. Can you link me one without it?
    08-30-2015 09:12 PM
    My 640 feels no different than the 920 I had in 2012. That was a flagship and I design was.....derided.

And I don't find my 640 XL to be any less of a design than my 1520. In fact the XL design is better than the 1520.

Furthermore these designs are NOKIA DESIGNS not Microsoft so yeah Nokia probably would
    These are Nokia BUDGET designs, they have never been flagship designs. Why would that suddenly change? These were created under the styleless auspices of Microsoft.
    08-30-2015 10:06 PM
    I'm just going to wait till they come out then decide. Right now - way too much speculation.

Happy with my 930 - not even a year old yet....

I'd rather speculate on Nokia making phones again - and trying Windows 10....
    Last edited by vEEP pEEP; 08-30-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: more to add
    08-30-2015 10:07 PM
    Past Lumia flagship designs to put things in perspective:

Oh Microsoft...
    And this stunning collage doesn't even show the one that started it all and swept smartphone design awards... the Lumia 800 (N9 design). Or the gorgeous Lumia 830. These make the 950/950 XL look like they were designed by some intern that couldn't wait to finish and get home.
    Last edited by hasasimo; 08-31-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    Kram Sacul and iggim like this.
    08-30-2015 10:08 PM
    Thats why i said "almost".

It's not even almost, it's hilarious.
    08-30-2015 10:24 PM
    The last actual photo I saw still had the "hide how the body looks" casing on it. Can you link me one without it?
    At the moment I can't but you can find those images with the case photoshopped off of the phone

08-30-2015 10:48 PM
    And this stunning collage doesn't even show the one that started at all and swept smartphone design awards... the Lumia 800 (N9 design). Makes the 950/950 XL look like they were designed by some intern that couldn't wait to finish and get home.
    I'm still rocking my Lumia 900, no design comes close to what made Windows Phone appealing to me. I can't put my finger at what's wrong with these models, but they don't look right. Proportions? Position of the camera module? Unused bezel at the bottom? For a premium product, I don't get why on-screen keys are even there. They're cramped and look like an afterthought compared to the placement of the hardware buttons on my own phone, that use as much of the space as possible.

Not bashing the designers - but I think the City and Talk have lost a lot of the crafted elegance that the old Nokia team used to imbue in their products. Even the outsourcing MS did for their Zune HD was spot on and didn't pull any punches for the sake of playing it safe with design (what I think MS is doing). It was a flop because of bad marketing and being late to the game, but I still consider it one of the nicest pieces of hardware I've ever owned. Taking design cues from that would be flagship material, IMHO.

11B1P and hasasimo like this.
    08-30-2015 11:13 PM
    I like the design allright, its ok (dont like the metal camera ring.) In all honesty I'm not thrilled about on screen keys, I'd prefer physical.
    I never pictured myself with a phablet, then again I was mister bah humbug qi charging....after I got a charger for my 920 I dont want a phone without it. I think I'm going to have to go with the big boy on this I want it native not via case...

my 920 has seen better days, wont fill in the time with a 640 or xl due to lack of qi....
    Phone cant come quick enough.
    08-31-2015 12:00 AM
    I agree with this. The Zune HD was one of the sexiest pieces of tech in the past decade. Again, Microsoft CAN design elegant products. The Zune HD, their Surface line-up. Which is all the more baffling that what they came up with for their WP10 flagship looks like a scrapped Nokia mid-range lumia design. Just blows my mind, because i know Microsoft has terrific designers at their disposal. So to get this.. After the flagships that came before it. It's disappointing to say the least.
    08-31-2015 12:11 AM
    I think the design of the new 950 and 950 XL looks very good. Com on its just a phone and with great specs like this and the right size too like the 950 XL its good enough for me.
    But they are very late out with the windows 10 for phones, and new phones as always comes late, but with the right price who cares.
    08-31-2015 01:17 AM
    It's competing against the iPhone 6/6s, s6/s6 edge+, z3+/Z5. you don't need to see it in real life to see that Microsoft flopped the design this year.
    You have no idea what the final design looks like. All we've seen is a "rendering". Until the phones are actually shown, they could have an external antenna and QWERTY keyboard for all we know.
    08-31-2015 01:58 AM
    I understand the point you're trying to make, however, you've not done a great job making it. :-)

Both an external antenna and a hardware keyboard violate the Microsoft reference design rules for Windows Phones. :-)
    floppyedonkey likes this.
    08-31-2015 02:18 AM
330 ... 89101112 ...