Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm just going to wait till they come out then decide. Right now - way too much speculation.

Happy with my 930 - not even a year old yet....

I'd rather speculate on Nokia making phones again - and trying Windows 10....

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Past Lumia flagship designs to put things in perspective:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh Microsoft...

And this stunning collage doesn't even show the one that started it all and swept smartphone design awards... the Lumia 800 (N9 design). Or the gorgeous Lumia 830. These make the 950/950 XL look like they were designed by some intern that couldn't wait to finish and get home.

Last edited:

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
And this stunning collage doesn't even show the one that started at all and swept smartphone design awards... the Lumia 800 (N9 design). Makes the 950/950 XL look like they were designed by some intern that couldn't wait to finish and get home.

I'm still rocking my Lumia 900, no design comes close to what made Windows Phone appealing to me. I can't put my finger at what's wrong with these models, but they don't look right. Proportions? Position of the camera module? Unused bezel at the bottom? For a premium product, I don't get why on-screen keys are even there. They're cramped and look like an afterthought compared to the placement of the hardware buttons on my own phone, that use as much of the space as possible.

Not bashing the designers - but I think the City and Talk have lost a lot of the crafted elegance that the old Nokia team used to imbue in their products. Even the outsourcing MS did for their Zune HD was spot on and didn't pull any punches for the sake of playing it safe with design (what I think MS is doing). It was a flop because of bad marketing and being late to the game, but I still consider it one of the nicest pieces of hardware I've ever owned. Taking design cues from that would be flagship material, IMHO.

W1usj3g.png

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I like the design allright, its ok (dont like the metal camera ring.) In all honesty I'm not thrilled about on screen keys, I'd prefer physical.
I never pictured myself with a phablet, then again I was mister bah humbug qi charging....after I got a charger for my 920 I dont want a phone without it. I think I'm going to have to go with the big boy on this I want it native not via case...

my 920 has seen better days, wont fill in the time with a 640 or xl due to lack of qi....
Phone cant come quick enough.

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I agree with this. The Zune HD was one of the sexiest pieces of tech in the past decade. Again, Microsoft CAN design elegant products. The Zune HD, their Surface line-up. Which is all the more baffling that what they came up with for their WP10 flagship looks like a scrapped Nokia mid-range lumia design. Just blows my mind, because i know Microsoft has terrific designers at their disposal. So to get this.. After the flagships that came before it. It's disappointing to say the least.

Gunnar Orloff

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I think the design of the new 950 and 950 XL looks very good. Com on its just a phone and with great specs like this and the right size too like the 950 XL its good enough for me.
But they are very late out with the windows 10 for phones, and new phones as always comes late, but with the right price who cares.:smile:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It's competing against the iPhone 6/6s, s6/s6 edge+, z3+/Z5. you don't need to see it in real life to see that Microsoft flopped the design this year.

You have no idea what the final design looks like. All we've seen is a "rendering". Until the phones are actually shown, they could have an external antenna and QWERTY keyboard for all we know.

pkadare

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I understand the point you're trying to make, however, you've not done a great job making it. :)

Both an external antenna and a hardware keyboard violate the Microsoft reference design rules for Windows Phones. :)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand the point you're trying to make, however, you've not done a great job making it. :)

Both an external antenna and a hardware keyboard violate the Microsoft reference design rules for Windows Phones. :)

haha, I know. I had to go extreme to make a point. But on the flip side, remember when MS said WP had to have a physical camera button? That design requirement has been relaxed.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I like the design allright, its ok (dont like the metal camera ring.) In all honesty I'm not thrilled about on screen keys, I'd prefer physical.
I never pictured myself with a phablet, then again I was mister bah humbug qi charging....after I got a charger for my 920 I dont want a phone without it. I think I'm going to have to go with the big boy on this I want it native not via case...

my 920 has seen better days, wont fill in the time with a 640 or xl due to lack of qi....
Phone cant come quick enough.

Pretty much sums up my position.

Still rockin on a lumia 820 and as bland lookin as these leaks look the specs are dare I say it decent (lol 830)

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, W10M and these flagship renders look bland, uninspiring, non premium, non flagshippy and the 950 with that ring is really ugly.. Though I would buy the bigger one if they sell it for 250 - 300 $..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm still rocking my Lumia 900, no design comes close to what made Windows Phone appealing to me. I can't put my finger at what's wrong with these models, but they don't look right. Proportions? Position of the camera module? Unused bezel at the bottom? For a premium product, I don't get why on-screen keys are even there. They're cramped and look like an afterthought compared to the placement of the hardware buttons on my own phone, that use as much of the space as possible.

Not bashing the designers - but I think the City and Talk have lost a lot of the crafted elegance that the old Nokia team used to imbue in their products. Even the outsourcing MS did for their Zune HD was spot on and didn't pull any punches for the sake of playing it safe with design (what I think MS is doing). It was a flop because of bad marketing and being late to the game, but I still consider it one of the nicest pieces of hardware I've ever owned. Taking design cues from that would be flagship material, IMHO.

http://i.imgur.com/W1usj3g.png

That's actually a good design for the time period. Granted now you would want to remove the bezel etc.. Funny the sharp android phone seems to have done something similar.

aquos_crystal_1.jpg

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Seriously the new designs are....ok. I mots probably can get over most of it, actually the more i see those renders the more i am getting use to them.

but the part that i am sure i will never get over is the weird ring on the back of the 950.... gives the feeling of an old Sony Eriksson device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb