09-17-2015 09:45 AM
330 1234 ...
tools
    It depends on the colours and materials when you see the real phone.

I like the back of the phone.

It has to be admitted that it is similar to existing Lumia phones. Well, don't iPhones look almost the same from one generation to the next? If one thinks it is ugly, then all previous Lumia phones are also ugly (which I don't agree).

I am confident that it would look slightly better than 930. And as it is slimmer, it should also look better.

And the low-quality of the rumored photo affects our perception.

Relax...

Lumia 930, 920, 900 even 1520 have excellent design. But on what basis can you compare this design with previous flagships?

Has anyone seen Galaxy Mega 5.8? What we see is a bulky cheap plastic. This design almost looks similar to it. Its no way closer to the beautiful 930.

With series of cheap plastic used by Galaxy S series device. Sammy finally realized and decided to use premium metal for its Galaxy S6/S6+ series devices. So why should MS stay behind the race? What is the harm if they too use a premium material like Magnesium Alloy, Titanium and some tough Aluminium alloy?

I want these Lumia flagships to be so good not only in terms of camera performance but in terms of look and premium feel too, so that it should make every Note 5 / S6 Edge + owner feel ENVY!!!.
    hasasimo, Jorge Holguin and SPS828 like this.
    08-27-2015 08:47 AM
    Lumia 930, 920, 900 even 1520 have excellent design. But on what basis can you compare this design with previous flagships?

Has anyone seen Galaxy Mega 5.8? What we see is a bulky cheap plastic. This design almost looks similar to it. Its no way closer to beautiful 930.
    Has anyone seen a 950XL outside of some low res photos and renders?
    Joe Dubya, wizzackr and gnodeb like this.
    08-27-2015 08:51 AM
    I love the design of my aluminum framed 930. It has a polycarbonate case on though. New phones look ok to me. Oddly like a 930 with a case! I'll miss the chamfered screen edge though. That always looks cool.
    hasasimo likes this.
    08-27-2015 08:55 AM
    I think everyone is disappointed because we were expecting L830 design with the rumor specs. Am I disappointed? Yes, a little. Do these phones look like flagships? Yes. Are they as premium looking as other flagships? No. Will I still buy the phone? Yes, because I need an upgrade, the phone looks good, and the rumored specs are awesome.

I wish they used the L830 design with metal frame. Even the 830's thickness was perfect. But it is what it is. I'll be anticipating the Surface phone.
    08-27-2015 09:48 AM
    All they had to do was copy the 830s design and make it slimmer and taller.
    08-27-2015 10:00 AM
    Even as a microsoft fan i have to say that the design of these phones are dissapointing. Please dont tell me about continuum or whatever. Im talking about soley design.

There has never been as much outcey about a past lumia design as there are about these phones so this IS saying SOMETHING.
    These phones dont look horrible but honestly l, althoigh beuty is subjective, do the looks of these phones SCREAM premium to you ? To me and most people they dont.

They look bland, uninspired and cheap. Especially from the front. There seems to be no innovation with these, huge bezels on top and bottom with a weird button alignment on one side. Really ?

Compared to the past 930/830/1520 these phones do not hold their own at all design wise. Compared to the previous models, these just look like the 640 only with innner improvements.

I am dissapointed along with many especially waitingso long for a premium OS ANDDDDD a premium LOOKING phone.

Anyone who says microsoft coupdnt have done a better job with the looks of these phones are simply in denail no matter how you put it. Although not every design is loved by all, none of the previous nokia or recent phone designs have drawn this much headscratching and dissapointment from the Windows phone community at large.
    08-27-2015 10:03 AM
    You do realize that those rumors have been around since 2011? The atom X3 is old and not powerful at all. It is low end. It can't run high resolutions. It is a poor chip. You're just living off an old rumor.
    08-27-2015 10:38 AM
    Give me one of these and i'll buy them. The first one being the best choice. That one would catch peoples' eyes. Whatever is in that leak image looks so horrible I puked a little in my mouth.

microsoft-lumia-940-xl-imagined-windows-10-intel-quad-core-processor-479426-6.jpg

microsoft-lumia-940-concept-comes-windows-10-usb-c-photo-gallery-486182-12.jpg
    08-27-2015 10:41 AM
    It's hard to make big phone beautiful. The nicest looking phones are HTC 8S, HTC 8X and Lumia 925. They are gorgeous cuz of its perfect size, just imagine those phones with 5.5+ inch display + bezel round them, they would not be nice as much. This renders we are seeing now are perfect for some smaller phones. You just can't say that Lumia 1520 is beautiful phone. It's just a powerful BRICK with a big screen. The point is, beautiful phones are below 5 inch display size.
    08-27-2015 11:11 AM
    althoigh beuty is subjective, do the looks of these phones SCREAM premium to you ? To me and most people they dont.

They look bland, uninspired and cheap. Especially from the front. There seems to be no innovation with these, huge bezels on top and bottom with a weird button alignment on one side. Really ?
    This is pretty much what I think. They aren't bad, ugly or anything like that but in the age of exquisitely designed LG's with custom leather backs, good looking metal designs from Samsung and other these don't stand out. At all. That's the big point of contention for most people, I believe.
    08-27-2015 11:13 AM
    This is pretty much what I think. They aren't bad, ugly or anything like that but in the age of exquisitely designed LG's with custom leather backs, good looking metal designs from Samsung and other these don't stand out. At all. That's the big point of contention for most people, I believe.
    I like the phones just fine. If people want leather backs and metal they should go buy LG, Apple or Samsung and STFU.
    08-27-2015 11:20 AM
    So disappointed in these. I thought it would take at least a year for Microsoft to start missing Nokia's design influence, but I was wrong... the impact was immediate. They look like low-mid range Lumias at best.

The only (and I do mean only) thing Microsoft did right with these is having just a Microsoft/Windows logo on the back without "Microsoft" written there.

Everything else looks like a cheap, HTC 2012 disaster.

I want a phone that looks good... at this rate I may have to bite the bullet and switch to Android when the Nokia iterations are released late next year, if I don't switch to a Sony Xperia instead. I'd much rather stick to Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile but this is awful.

My Lumia 830 is infinitely more elegant and premium looking.
    jabtano and maverick786us like this.
    08-27-2015 11:51 AM
    The phones look good. As always those crying and hating are among the minority.
    You aren't following this thread closely then. Clearly those that dislike the design so far are not the minority...
    08-27-2015 12:02 PM
    You aren't following this thread closely then. Clearly those that dislike the design so far are not the minority...
    Pass experience has often shown that all though most commenters in these forums are negative that they don't represent the opinion of the majority. I'm willing to bet that such is the case here.
    08-27-2015 12:13 PM
    So unless a phone has a metal frame it doesnt look premium?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    libra89 and txkimmers like this.
    08-27-2015 12:27 PM
    Pass experience has often shown that all though most commenters in these forums are negative that they don't represent the opinion of the majority. I'm willing to bet that such is the case here.
    On many tech sites that have posted these leaks, everyone has been mentioning that these do not look premium at all. Once again, these could be wrong and we are making a fuss about nothing. But the actual image attached to that "wizard" looks bad. Microsoft saw success with the 640XL and is trying to copy the same style but add better components to it. But they don't realize success was as a result of PRICE. So if they can price it really low, fine people may buy it. Heck, a recent Chinese phone company put all the premium components into a cheap phone on android and is selling it super cheap. Maybe that is Microsoft's goal. Premium components, cheap phone. We won't know till their showcase. But they can't expect people to put down a lot of money for these phones, I hope not. The only reason I bought the Lumia 830 is because it looked good. I would have not bought any other phone otherwise.
    08-27-2015 12:27 PM
    Your not the only one. I also really like the design! Looks great to me.

08-27-2015 12:31 PM
    On many tech sites that have posted these leaks, everyone has been mentioning that these do not look premium at all. Once again, these could be wrong and we are making a fuss about nothing. But the actual image attached to that "wizard" looks bad. Microsoft saw success with the 640XL and is trying to copy the same style but add better components to it. But they don't realize success was as a result of PRICE. So if they can price it really low, fine people may buy it. Heck, a recent Chinese phone company put all the premium components into a cheap phone on android and is selling it super cheap. Maybe that is Microsoft's goal. Premium components, cheap phone. We won't know till their showcase. But they can't expect people to put down a lot of money for these phones, I hope not. The only reason I bought the Lumia 830 is because it looked good. I would have not bought any other phone otherwise.
    Yeah yeah, and I've seen tech sites where many have liked the look. That said, regardless of the site/forum the commenters don't represent the opinion of the majority.
    08-27-2015 12:32 PM
    So unless a phone has a metal frame it doesnt look premium?

Not at all, it's a matter of style sense and keeping up with the times. That's why Nokia switched to metal frames to begin with on the 930 and 830. But regardless, the Lumia 800, 900, and 920 all looked very sleek and elegant without metal. The 950 and 950 XL are just plain bland. A metal frame would have definitely helped matters if nothing else in the design changed, but they could have done a lot better while staying full polycarbonate.

We're disappointed because Microsoft is now losing one of the main differentiators that brought many people to Windows Phone to begin with... unique, superior aesthetics.
    jabtano, RJ Priest, aXross and 1 others like this.
    08-27-2015 12:48 PM
    You do realize that those rumors have been around since 2011? The atom X3 is old and not powerful at all. It is low end. It can't run high resolutions. It is a poor chip. You're just living off an old rumor.
    I'm not doing anything, I just randomly found it. No matter what it is, it says its ready for Windows 10 Mobile which is coming out next month. And you can read that in the official Intel specifications of this processor this year, so how does this makes it from 2011, did they knew there would be Windows 10 Mobile in 2015?
    It's pretty logical that the specs looks odd for a flagship, but we'll see. I do think it will use a different version or something, but no matter what it's supposed to be in some new Microsoft phones.
    08-27-2015 12:59 PM
    Not at all, it's a matter of style sense and keeping up with the times. That's why Nokia switched to metal frames to begin with on the 930 and 830. But regardless, the Lumia 800, 900, and 920 all looked very sleek and elegant without metal. The 950 and 950 XL are just plain bland. A metal frame would have definitely helped matters if nothing else in the design changed, but they could have done a lot better while staying full polycarbonate.

We're disappointed because Microsoft is now losing one of the main differentiators that brought many people to Windows Phone to begin with... unique, superior aesthetics.
    I'm not disappointed.
    08-27-2015 01:00 PM
    I'm not disappointed.
    Yes, we know. You feel the need to make that very clear to compensate for the disappointment in this thread.
    08-27-2015 01:02 PM
    Yes, we know. You feel the need to make that very clear to compensate for the disappointment in this thread.
    I think we need all the positive comments we can get to counteract all the negativity.

libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2015 01:16 PM
    I think we need all the positive comments we can get to counteract all the negativity.
    To what end? Why should we fall in line like a bunch of sheep? We don't like the design. We ought to be vocal about it.

If Microsoft can't sell the people in this community on their new flagships, how are they going to sell anyone?
    08-27-2015 01:19 PM

I honestly think that if the 950/xl had a metal frame people would be complaining that microsoft was just rehashing a 2/3 year old design.

libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2015 01:25 PM
330 1234 ...