Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Am I the only one who prefers Polycarbonate over Aluminium ?! ..
Okay if it was specific Steel..

Yes I actually know Polycarbonate that's why I need to name it.

I'd take transparent polycarbonate over anything any day lol.

Are you kidding? Polycarbonate is fantastic and everyone should love the high quality feel of it.
I firmly believe that a magnesium frame would've looked and felt great though.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia name.
Lumia model naming.
Lumia model design.
Lumia itself was not successful. MCSF needs to kill Lumia name and start with other branding and other design.

MSN Groove Mobile Surface 10 XL Plus?

No more rebranding, please. We've already lost so many good things because of MS' idiotic ideas of marketing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I'll add my two cents to this thread.

I'll start off by saying I have no interest in buying either of these phones. Saying that I'll give my opinion on the design and whether or not I would buy one if I was in the market for a phone.

First, I've never been fond of camera bulge. So that's a bit of a turn off for me right there. The design is reminiscent of the 640 and seems to be the 'design language' they are currently using.

As we know polycarbonate has been the material used since Lumias went into production so the use of it is unsurprising, if not a bit boring.

It's hard to know for sure what the weight, feel and overall quality is until you can actually hold one at least it is for me.

Bezels are a consequence of smart devices so it's not that much of a turn off for me but I have to say in this instance, just going by the renders it's not very appealing looking and the on screen buttons make it look a bit ugly.

The buttons appear to be in the standard Lumia position. Would have been nice if they moved the on/off button elsewhere to create a new format but they appear to be sticking to this.

So would I buy one? With the information we currently have, no. To know for certain I'd have to get up close and personal with it.

My thoughts if this is a premium phone? Specs wise is yes. Looks wise, not so much. Material wise it's a question of taste.

What could have made these a bit more premium? Why not use the same material as the Surface? Create a new premium design. I think they could have made something really slick had they used the Surface like design language. But that's just me.

If the decision is to jump to a new number like 950, why not go for new all around and start fresh?

Those are my criticisms. I think they could have did something better. Maybe the price will be the thing that attracts people.

In any case, if these are them for sure them so be it. Let's see what the masses make of them.

Last edited:

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So basically your waiting for a brand new phone with a six plus year old design?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree, wont be buying either. I think they will release surface phone with Intel chips next year. That's enough time for all the shake ups to result in fruit. As you said, boring and uninspiring are the names id use to describe the hardware from the few pics I've seen but will make better call when they are out I guess

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 640, 640 XL, 830, 530 and all those other Lumias released are all Nokia designs...Some of them merely have Microsoft's name on them.

To be honest, I am not even sure why people are saying this design is different from Nokia LUmias. It looks like any other Lumia

Nokia certainly did not get every design they did right either...the 920 was derided for its chunky design despite being a fan favorite.

But the 925 was hailed as a great design and what the 920 should have been.

The Lumia 820 was a great design but then you have the forgotten 810 that was incredibly ugly...

So we shouldn't act as if EVERY design Nokia did was perfect and yet they still sold reasonably well(for windows phone) and I imagine these will as well...as far as getting people to switch, well the only complaints I've seen are from Windows phone users ironically.

Even Pro-apple/Android people actually said they don't look half-bad.

I think that the only thing that will make these whiners happy is if microsoft kept the exact same design and jusr kept upgrading the internals.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think that the only thing that will make these whiners happy is if microsoft kept the exact same design and jusr kept upgrading the internals.

No I think the issue is that the design is bit uninspired, boring. People were hoping to go 'WOW!' and instead got 'oh' out of it. It's a let down. Call them whiners if you want but they're just disappointed and voicing their opinions.

Personally I want to see the phone when it comes out. It's a bit hard to make a complete judgement on something until you can see it.

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
People have complained that it looks nothing like the 920, 925, 930/icon, or 1520. First off the only phones that I considered to look good from that list was the 925 and the icon. The 920 was huge and bulky I hated that design. The HTC 8x was thin and way better looking than its Nokia counterpart. As for the 950 and the xl I like the design. I mean I don't like the metal circle inside the camera according to these pics. But as for rounded corners in okay with. My one m8 has rounded corners and its a premium device. Yea its not made of glass and aluminum but it still look premium to me. I'll buy it when or if it comes to Verizon.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They're whiners. And they don't represent the majority.

What is your opinion of majority? People with WP or those without? The whole point of releasing flagships is to attract people to the OS and the ecosystem. Do you feel these phones will do that?

The only true way to get that opinion will be when this phone goes on sale and who buys it. Until then these are all opinions.

Mine is that I don't see anything special about these phones from an aesthetic point of view and they could have done better in my opinion.

Do I think some people have been over the top with their reactions? Yes, but I can understand why they feel that way.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It actually hit me now..
Smooth black matte surface for relaxed holding, Metal ring for Camera lens, LED lights far enough from the Camera, Removable battery, USB-C, Iris scanner, On-screen buttons, shinny metal buttons and Microsoft logo in contrast to black smoothness, Bezels wide enough to protect the screen from edge hits and also better grip for gameplay without touching the display, and after all simple design.

I love it.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, how do you know what the majority feels like? Until we see the actual phone, people will comment on its looks based on these renders. That said, it may be a good idea to get a poll running to see whether or not the readers of this website like the phone.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And I prefer a polycarbonate. I'm holding a 830 on the sun right now and the white plate is cool and the aluminium frame is getting hot. So I might actually get the white one.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And calling a device a flagship when it melts in the summer and freezes in the winter is not very healthy for the phone internals and the battery. So hooray L950!

Maybe some day people will start to care about the advantages of plastics over metal phones. It's just in the head.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The two polls I've seen so far show that the majority either like them or are neutral. The folks that don't like them are the minority. The complainers are almost always the most vocal.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It actually hit me now..
Smooth black matte surface for relaxed holding, Metal ring for Camera lens, LED lights far enough from the Camera, Removable battery, USB-C, Iris scanner, On-screen buttons, shinny metal buttons and Microsoft logo in contrast to black smoothness, Bezels wide enough to protect the screen from edge hits and also better grip for gameplay without touching the display, and after all simple design.

I love it.

No one is complaining about the tech. It's the design aesthetics that people are unhappy about. If you like it that's fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb