Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Was hoping for a better looking flagships by MS but they just ruined the beauty of Lumia phones. First they brought on screens and now they made the edges round and with no metallic frame.. They dont look like successors of 930/1520. And with W10M sucking and not finding the new OS attractive will you still buy the flagships or any other WP device or switch to android or iOS? :/
So what are you buying, a n iPhone or a Galaxy?

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Daniel Rubino said that these phones were the last of the Nokia portfolio. There's a screenshot that someone took of him saying that, which I can't locate atm.

Thats was me lol but heres the screen shot again.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 73989.jpg
    73989.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 36

cjdrumm

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a few thoughts. 1. To save on production costs, Microsoft decided to go with polycarbonate. Lets be honest, putting a 2k display on the phone, new USB C, and an actual retina scanner isn't going to be cheap. At least not cheap enough to make a good enough profit margin.
2. Microsoft is being more secretive than we think. These two phones look like the Lumia 640 and 640 XL, budget phones. What if the Surface phone is the actual flagship? Come on, Microsoft knows how to makes good looking devices, Surface Pro 3 -- Lumia 930... why would their first real try at a Microsoft Phone look just okay. Besides, Lumia as a brand is all over the place. Their are great phones and really cheap phones. Not the best brand for Microsoft to use to reinvent themselves with Windows 10. The Surface Brand is a much better platform to launch for a phone. Microsoft is really pushing the Surface Brand with Pro 3 devices in the NFL, on shows like Arrow, The Flash, Marvel's Agents of Shield, and Tom Cruise had them throughout Mission Impossible 5. I go into more detail at cjdrumm [dot] wordpress [dot] com. Let me know if you think or if I am way way way off.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a few thoughts. 1. To save on production costs, Microsoft decided to go with polycarbonate. Lets be honest, putting a 2k display on the phone, new USB C, and an actual retina scanner isn't going to be cheap. At least not cheap enough to make a good enough profit margin.
2. Microsoft is being more secretive than we think. These two phones look like the Lumia 640 and 640 XL, budget phones. What if the Surface phone is the actual flagship? Come on, Microsoft knows how to makes good looking devices, Surface Pro 3 -- Lumia 930... why would their first real try at a Microsoft Phone look just okay. Besides, Lumia as a brand is all over the place. Their are great phones and really cheap phones. Not the best brand for Microsoft to use to reinvent themselves with Windows 10. The Surface Brand is a much better platform to launch for a phone. Microsoft is really pushing the Surface Brand with Pro 3 devices in the NFL, on shows like Arrow, The Flash, Marvel's Agents of Shield, and Tom Cruise had them throughout Mission Impossible 5. I go into more detail at cjdrumm [dot] wordpress [dot] com. Let me know if you think or if I am way way way off.

These aren't Microsoft designed phones, these were designed by Nokia.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For the record, I just saw a reply by the threadstarter to the article about the leaked images of build 10534. He says something to the effect of there only being two more features he needed in the next mobile preview build. But yeah, the OS "sucks". *eyeroll*

You'd think internet forums would have less knee-jerk emotional reactions. You've got plenty of time to think before clicking "post".

lumiagrab

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
People that like the Design of the 950 and 950XL must have some kind of mental disorder or no sense of design at all. These things are awfully bad looking.

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
When flagship looks exactly like lowend, then its something bad. This is for me very sad news, its looks horrible. I prefer polycarbonate, so that not bothering me. What is wrong, its how they used a implement it. Its not look premium. Really, its ugly device, hope its fake.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
People that like the Design of the 950 and 950XL must have some kind of mental disorder or no sense of design at all. These things are awfully bad looking.

A little harsh dont you think I mean the phones are bland no lie, but you can't really go around saying these things are that bad looking they're just boring

macgyver35

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
This entire discussion cracks me up. I'm an IT guy, so I deal with phones all the time, and also tend to notice what people around me are carrying and using. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the Dallas area, I'd estimate that 95% of people I see have their phones in some kind of protective case, with only the glass of the screen showing. Given that, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. They could make the things out of titanium, and I'd still put it in a protective case made out of plastic/rubber (in fact, I have a great Boker Subcom knife with a titanium frame, and it scratches easily, but still is one of the best knives I've owned). So, what is important to me on phone build material is Gorilla Glass, as it's the only part of the phone that is going to be visible and exposed. The housing doesn't affect how it works. Provided it is fairly durable and not prone to bending/breaking, what does it matter? I care about performance. I'm far more concerned with substance over style. Give me good specs and a solid user experience, and you can make the stupid housing out of recycled Coke bottles for all I care.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
A little harsh dont you think I mean the phones are bland no lie, but you can't really go around saying these things are that bad looking they're just boring

I wouldnt expect anything less from a person that can only see his own point of view and tries to impose that view on other people lol

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Those renders remind me a lot of my LG G2 and several other flagship phones. I don't understand why you'd prefer something flashier, but far less durable. The best looking phone on the market is the Galaxy S6 Edge/Edge+ and they're fragile. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are also fragile. Those are the most expensive phones I am aware of. Paying more for a less durable phone simply because it looks nicer initially is silly to me. Especially when you're going to cover up those expensive materials.

MonteJ

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
OK - I can't stand it anymore. I have to get my 2 cents in this discussion

Long before the first WP7 came out, I followed it's development on the internet. I totally bought-in to the concept of a phone that had hubs for people, games, etc. - to make it easier to navigate to the information and content you wanted. I loved the idea of live tiles on the start screen that were constantly updating (as opposed to the static grid on iPhone which I still find boring). And on launch day I became the proud owner of Samsung Focus. My wife and kids all have iphones - but I have been a staunch windows phone supporter.

When my first 2 year contract was up I bought a lumia 920, and although it was thick and heavy, it has been a great phone for me. It still looks as good as new and the battery life has held up amazingly well - nearly 3 years later.

Why do I still have my 920 when my contract has long since expired? Because Microsoft failed to come up with a flagship phone that was significantly better than what I already had.

Why will I be switching to the iPhone 6s in a few weeks? First & foremost, because key apps that I use every day continue to be dropped or no longer updated on Windows Phone. Because the Microsoft apps are not only available on iPhone - but in many cases, are currently better than the ones on windows phone. And lastly, because the design of the new flagship phones that I have waited so long for are completely uninspiring, if not "****-ugly" - and I don't want to wait another 6 months for the Surface phone which still may no have all the apps I need.

I am well aware that Microsoft has been going through some major adjustments in its mobile market and was absolutely forced to make some major changes. I have been a very loyal MS customer - but I think I've finally just lost the will to hang-on any longer. On the upside, I will finally be able to face-time and "find a friend" with my wife and kids. But ... it's all kind of sad.

Well... that's my 2 cents!

WPSouth

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I can remember how I felt the first time I saw the N9 / Lumia 800 design. Then, those phones looked b-e-a-utiful. Looking at these now I'm like eh they're ok, but what the hell, I do not want ok I want something special. These do not look special, I do not think they're beautiful. And what's the deal with the loudspeaker grill / mesh, that's just 'sigh'. Microsoft please I'll pass, where's the next flagship

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss