View Poll Results: What do you think about the Cityman and Talkman press images?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

36 30.51%
  • Meh, take a penny leave a penny

45 38.14%
  • Hideous. If this was a human being, i'd shoot it in the face.

41 34.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
09-07-2015 03:24 AM
157 1234 ...
tools
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/att...d=111106&stc=1
    I'm expecting a design a little closer to this image for my next Windows Phone. It has a very clean and professional look to it. I hope HTC hasn't given up on Windows Phone. They did a really decent job on my HTC One M8 (Windows Phone)
    I agree with everything you said. The phone in the photo is beautiful, but, please Microsoft abandon your "copying other people" design strategy and learn from the image and design something unique and better. (Don't copy Samsung and stop copying apple and goggle.)
    Jazmac and Dreaming Silver like this.
    08-27-2015 07:30 PM
    Companies can barely put sapphire glass in their phones and now you want titanium?!! At least a titanium and sapphire phone will be literally indestructible ;)
    Read what I wrote. I said I would prefer to have titanium over aluminum, not that I was demanding a titanium phone. Sure, I'd probably buy if the specs were high enough to make it last quite a few years, but aluminum just won't last. I don't care how "pretty" it is. You can have it. I'd also rather have the plastic body instead. There's always slapping a case on one or modding it to suit your liking. I don't like my phone looking like everyone the phone everyone else has that bought the same model. I like it customized anyway.
    08-27-2015 07:40 PM
    Eh, while pretty phones may be nice, I've realized that since I always use a case, I don't really care about that kind of stuff anymore. I remember thinking how cool the HTC One M7 looked when I got it, but I immediately covered it up with a case.

I just don't understand how Panos Panay, the head of Surface could also allow these products to go through looking like that.

That being said, I'll reserve any final judgement until I see them in person.
    08-27-2015 07:42 PM
    I just don't understand how Panos Panay, the head of Surface could also allow these products to go through looking like that.
    I thought about that too. The only answer I can get to is that Microsoft really has their backs up against the wall on getting out a Flagship in 2015. So these two are the best that they have ready to go. Hopefully Panay will have more say with the "metal device" that has been mentioned multiple times by Rubino, Warren, and Thurrot. Rubino recently said that he's expecting it in May of 2016.
    08-27-2015 08:59 PM
    They don't look bad, but I really feel like rounded edges and plastic isn't going to make a phone that people find more appealing then an iPhone 6. I mean, if someone walks into BestBuy and sees an iPhone 6 and then looks over and sees what is supposedly the L950.... Are they really going to have any incentive to choose the L950 over the iPhone 6? Probably not. It's a matter of choice but the only reason I would is because I like the Windows phone OS and most people don't have a clue what that even is. The fact of the matter is that people care ALOT about exterior aesthetics: to ignore this is suicide as far as market-success.

In my personal opinion, this would be a great look for MS to go for. Please don't burn me at the stake for having an opinion.
    lumia-950xl-concept.jpg
    Last edited by OwenDL; 08-27-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    08-27-2015 11:14 PM
    They don't look bad, but I really feel like rounded edges and plastic isn't going to make a phone that people find more appealing then an iPhone 6. I mean, if someone walks into BestBuy and sees an iPhone 6 and then looks over and sees what is supposedly the L950.... Are they really going to have any incentive to choose the L950 over the iPhone 6? Probably not. It's a matter of choice but the only reason I would is because I like the Windows phone OS and most people don't have a clue what that even is. The fact of the matter is that people care ALOT about exterior aesthetics: to ignore this is suicide as far as market-success.

In my personal opinion, this would be a great look for MS to go for. Please don't burn me at the stake for having an opinion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lumia-950xl-concept.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	111116
    +1
    08-27-2015 11:25 PM
    I don't think they're ugly but when comparing them to the previous 900 series Lumias (excluding the 928) they're definitely underwhelming. I couldn't care less about bezels either. The 920 had a big frame for only having a 4.5" screen but it still looked and felt like a classy device. The 950s look more like oversized versions of the 640s which were oversized versions of the 630. Then you have the cheap and pointless on screen buttons and the really dumb volume and power button placement on whatever the cyan render is. So there's a lot of questionable design going on which should've been a slam dunk. What's so hard is making a slightly bigger 925 or a smaller version of the 1520? Only MS could screw this up.

Personally I'm more concerned about Windows 10 Mobile. You can have the greatest and sexiest hardware but if the software is poorly thought out wannabe garbage then why should I care?
    08-28-2015 12:17 AM
    I really don't like that huge white Microsoft logo on the back. Too much bezel on the top and bottom, especially the bottom. This phone looks horrible in cyan. I might just buy me a 1520.3 throw W10 on it and call it a day until/if the fabled surface phone surfaces or a better looking phone from Microsoft is released. Again though they are just renders and I may eat my words when the phone is officially reviled.
    08-28-2015 05:24 AM
    I remember a post on this site saying that the 950xl was "sexy as hell"... Maybe they wanted to say "ugly as hell" . Microsoft basically gave us a ring surrounded by a 635 cheap looking design... They had the best designs.. 1520 735 830 720 928 920 even the 1020 was immensely better .... All I expected was an updated 1520 or 830 design... Good job Microsoft screwing up the iconic Lumia design and giving us a generic unbranded look to a flagship phone!
    Last edited by dp84; 08-28-2015 at 05:45 AM.
    08-28-2015 05:34 AM
    It'd be great if Daniel could get this on the Main Page. This poll needs a lot more votes.
    08-28-2015 07:04 AM

Name:	lumia-950xl-concept.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	111116
    That concept looks absolutely amazing. I don't get why MS couldn't come up with something like this. With all that potential and money their designers should be capable of doing wonders, for crying out loud! To be honest, I don't hate those designs we saw yesterday but I'm not digging them either - it's just that I want MS to look the best out there. We're already aware of its inner beauty, aren't we?
    08-28-2015 07:14 AM
    This type of thread happens everytime a rendernis leaked. Then people chabge their minds ehrn they see the phone in peraon. Happened with the lumia 925 which in person, is a gorgeous phone.withthat said... Yeah this phone looks underwhelming lol
    08-28-2015 07:30 AM
    Personally, I'd like a phone that is not only functional, but stylish AND durable. Something that will be nearly indestructible.

I think I've found it. Check out this bad boy. With everyone liking "thin aluminum", this one may not be to everyone's taste, because it uses 18K Red Gold, Titanium, and leather, and it's completely hand-crafted. Each unit is built by hand, and you can have it customized to your liking. You can also get Alligator leather, Ostrich, and a number of other rare leathers, in the color of your choosing.
    luxuryphone.png

Of course, there's a price to pay for that kind of bling. Not even the most expensive phone they sell. They actually sell a candy-bar style dumb phone for over $31,000 US.

This is the "can stop a bullet and you can still make a call" kind of phone.

Now, if they only made that with Windows 10, I'd be happy.
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    08-28-2015 09:29 AM
    This type of thread happens everytime a rendernis leaked. Then people chabge their minds ehrn they see the phone in peraon.
    I've never seen a community response this strong to a press image.

I'm sure you're right, it'll look a bit better with some new angles and in person. But it's still pretty dull and ugly.
    08-28-2015 09:31 AM
    Personally, I'd like a phone that is not only functional, but stylish AND durable. Something that will be nearly indestructible.

I think I've found it. Check out this bad boy. With everyone liking "thin aluminum", this one may not be to everyone's taste, because it uses 18K Red Gold, Titanium, and leather, and it's completely hand-crafted. Each unit is built by hand, and you can have it customized to your liking. You can also get Alligator leather, Ostrich, and a number of other rare leathers, in the color of your choosing.

Name:	LuxuryPhone.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	111134

Of course, there's a price to pay for that kind of bling. Not even the most expensive phone they sell. They actually sell a candy-bar style dumb phone for over $31,000 US.

This is the "can stop a bullet and you can still make a call" kind of phone.

Now, if they only made that with Windows 10, I'd be happy.
    There was actually a possibility that Vertu phones could have launched with Windows Phone 7 or 8. Never happened.
    08-28-2015 09:32 AM
    There was actually a possibility that Vertu phones could have launched with Windows Phone 7 or 8. Never happened.
    But if they did, Windows Phone would have been top by now, because we all know this is what everyone buys. Oh, wait. Nevermind. I suppose that wouldn't have helped with the market saturation campaign Microsoft was doing with the budget line, eh? Hehehe!
    08-28-2015 09:39 AM
    But if they did, Windows Phone would have been top by now, because we all know this is what everyone buys. Oh, wait. Nevermind. I suppose that wouldn't have helped with the market saturation campaign Microsoft was doing with the budget line, eh? Hehehe!
    The idle rich: Vertu decided Windows Phone 8 was "too complex", opted for Android | Windows Central

"...we're still happy that Vertu is in the phone business, as opposed to say the medical industry.
    It would be heartbreaking to hear they gave up on trying to cure cancer because it was just too complex."
    rhapdog likes this.
    08-28-2015 11:21 AM
    I remember a post on this site saying that the 950xl was "sexy as hell"... Maybe they wanted to say "ugly as hell" . Microsoft basically gave us a ring surrounded by a 635 cheap looking design... They had the best designs.. 1520 735 830 720 928 920 even the 1020 was immensely better .... All I expected was an updated 1520 or 830 design... Good job Microsoft screwing up the iconic Lumia design and giving us a generic unbranded look to a flagship phone!
    The 950 and 950xl were designed by nokia so if you wanna blame somebody then blame the people that designed it-Nokia.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-28-2015 11:28 AM
    Personally i really like the design its clean and understated. I dont get where the it "looks cheap" comments are coming from. What looks cheap? What exactly is a non cheap phone supposed to look like? Should it be triangle shaped? Or maybe hexagon? Should it be gold plated and have diamonds for buttons in order for it to LOOK expensive?

Really? This devices look **** compared to 930/1520.. They just look like the mid rangers(close to 640xl). Look at the iphone6 or android devices like htc one m9, or s6edge or any other device.. MS flagships looks **** in front of them.. No metal frame was the worst thing they did not use on their flagships.. People switching from android or ios would never like to buy such plastic flagship phones..
    08-28-2015 11:43 AM
    ...also, by saying "iphone fanboys" must be around today, as if Lumia owners weren't ever in love with design, and iPhones have been the only devices known and praised for beauty

Sorry for the long text book but... Had to make my point :P
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! iPhone fanboys. Yeah, those were fightin' words. I'll take that back-haha. After reading so many threads with complaints about aesthetics, I was in full smh mode. Even though the L640 was a budget phone, I never saw a post like "well it's ugly, but I'll ignore it because it's cheap."

Beauty is in the eye of blah-blah, yes. In my opinion, all these slabs of glass, metal and plastic are very similar looking. Even the Note 5 used as an example really only looks different with the silver around the edge and earpiece. And if the L640 didn't look revolting at first appearance, why should a similarly styled flagship phone suddenly be looked upon as being so ugly with a huge bezel (nevermind that the row of on-screen buttons were up giving the bezel a larger appearance), speaker placement-ugh, the camera hump ain't right, etc.

It's an overreaction, particularly those who said they're abandoning the platform because of the way it looks, but that they love WP UI - yet they're going to jump ship to Android/iPhone. Really? I think that was what triggered my "iPhone fanboy" name-calling because that's the kind of superficial decision making I don't see normally see in the WP community.

Oops, I guess I'll apologize for the long response too. :D
    libra89 likes this.
    08-28-2015 11:43 AM
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! iPhone fanboys. Yeah, those were fightin' words. I'll take that back-haha. After reading so many threads with complaints about aesthetics, I was in full smh mode. Even though the L640 was a budget phone, I never saw a post like "well it's ugly, but I'll ignore it because it's cheap."

Beauty is in the eye of blah-blah, yes. In my opinion, all these slabs of glass, metal and plastic are very similar looking. Even the Note 5 used as an example really only looks different with the silver around the edge and earpiece. And if the L640 didn't look revolting at first appearance, why should a similarly styled flagship phone suddenly be looked upon as being so ugly with a huge bezel (nevermind that the row of on-screen buttons were up giving the bezel a larger appearance), speaker placement-ugh, the camera hump ain't right, etc.

It's an overreaction, particularly those who said they're abandoning the platform because of the way it looks, but that they love WP UI - yet they're going to jump ship to Android/iPhone. Really? I think that was what triggered my "iPhone fanboy" name-calling because that's the kind of superficial decision making I don't see normally see in the WP community.

Oops, I guess I'll apologize for the long response too. :D
    640 is a budget phone, so the looks would be as per the price.. When you see 830 it looks better and premium with that aluminium frame than 640 thats why it is costly.. Now talking about these flagships they look same as the midrangers.. No premium look.. No metal frames.. Just plastic body.. Why would a person buy such phone which looks same as the mid range.. People already using WPs would buy.. But people switching to WP would not buy such devices who have already been using best looking phones from android like htc one m9 , s6 edge, etc or person using an iphone.
    08-28-2015 11:54 AM
    08-28-2015 12:00 PM
    The 950 and 950xl were designed by nokia so if you wanna blame somebody then blame the people that designed it-Nokia.

Unless people claiming this actually worked on designing these phones this statement is pure speculation regardless of who states it.
    08-28-2015 12:11 PM
    Unless people claiming this actually worked on designing these phones this statement is pure speculation regardless of who states it.
    I tend to trust Rubino on these types of matters.

Microsoft (carrying over from Nokia) is going all polycarbonate. While the phones should be lighter, have swappable batteries and be much more resilient I fear that it is the wrong choice for going into 2016.

Microsoft is going towards metal with the alleged 'Surface phone' in what will be the first Microsoft-designed device.
    08-28-2015 12:17 PM
    Really? This devices look **** compared to 930/1520.. They just look like the mid rangers(close to 640xl). Look at the iphone6 or android devices like htc one m9, or s6edge or any other device.. MS flagships looks **** in front of them.. No metal frame was the worst thing they did not use on their flagships.. People switching from android or ios would never like to buy such plastic flagship phones..
    This is all your opinion and your welcome to it. I had the 925 looked great and i think these look better.

08-28-2015 02:16 PM
157 1234 ...