View Poll Results: What do you think about the Cityman and Talkman press images?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

36 30.51%
  • Meh, take a penny leave a penny

45 38.14%
  • Hideous. If this was a human being, i'd shoot it in the face.

41 34.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
09-07-2015 03:24 AM
157 ... 34567
tools
    As a Windows Phone fan since WP7, and also a MS advocate, I have to say this time I'm fairly disappointed with the leaked image so far. I'm really hoping they'll change it up this time and make it with some more premium feel and materials... I don't know how accurate these images are meant to be, but I'm hoping for some relatively big changes when they actually announce it, because the specs looks amazing.

I've been waiting for awhile since L920, so I really hope they can make us proud....
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    08-30-2015 07:18 PM
    ... Except the phones were designed by Nokia.
    These are Nokia budget designs... they look just like budget Lumias over the years, and nothing like ANY flagship Nokia has ever put out.
    08-30-2015 11:10 PM
    I see a lot of people complaining about bezel here but I thought the on-screen buttons disappear? They do on my mom's 640XL. So when I visualize the 950XL without the black bar on the bottom of the screen and with additional tiles displayed it doesn't look as bad at all.
    08-30-2015 11:44 PM
    I really hope so, becuase my 535 is complete sh*t. Touch screen is either non responsive or recognizes fingers where there aren't any...
    It is that I can't do without it, otherwise I would've sent it out for repairs. Hope the 840/850 is indeed not far behind so I can replace my phone with something that at least does work.
    08-31-2015 04:28 AM
    I see a lot of people complaining about bezel here but I thought the on-screen buttons disappear? They do on my mom's 640XL. So when I visualize the 950XL without the black bar on the bottom of the screen and with additional tiles displayed it doesn't look as bad at all.
    The on-screen buttons do disappear. What people, me included, are complaining about is the fact that this has bigger bezels than my 535, that whilst other manufacturers have been able to reduce the bezels every time.
    08-31-2015 04:31 AM
    The thick silver ring on the talkman is awful (calls too much attention to the camera), and I abhor on-screen system buttons. Even if you can hide them, it's an extra tap or swipe to bring them back (terrible UX), and for a lot of phone operation they have to be visible regardless. For me, it's just all wrong.
    Last edited by RiseUpGames; 08-31-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    sleeve22 likes this.
    08-31-2015 04:34 AM
    The design matters because it is the first thing 90% of users: existing or potential new ones will see anywhere. You don't see the specs written in most posters or store advertising, you don't see the specs in full when browsing in a carrier's online store, but the phone in it's glory. And if the design is not appealing, user will simply skip on most of the times.
    aXross likes this.
    08-31-2015 06:11 AM
    These must be Nokia latest unfinished design patterns made by the guys that were thrown away by Satya, and Microsoft didn't bother to finish them up..why to bother with something that implies more costs.Besides the Surface line, eveything at MS looks now cheap, amateur made, with a serious lack of quality and detail.
    08-31-2015 06:16 AM
    Th ebezel is not too much at the bottom if you remove the onScreen buttons from the screen FYI the top and bottom bezels accounted for less than what we found in IPhone6/6S.
    dakken likes this.
    08-31-2015 09:18 AM
    08-31-2015 11:45 AM
    And look how dull and uninspired the 925 looks from the back and front. You have to have angled shots to be able to tell exactly what a phone will look like. Even then it won't tell you what the actual device will look and feel like.
    dakken likes this.
    08-31-2015 02:30 PM
    Dull and uninspred or the best Lumia by many peoples account? Black 925

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails 76462.jpg   76457.jpg   76460.jpg  
    aXross likes this.
    08-31-2015 03:35 PM
    Oh, no doubt it's the best by a long shot. I own one. Just saying that from the front and back and side, without any context even the 925 can look bad.
    08-31-2015 03:51 PM
    640 is a budget phone, so the looks would be as per the price.. When you see 830 it looks better and premium with that aluminium frame than 640 thats why it is costly.. Now talking about these flagships they look same as the midrangers.. No premium look.. No metal frames.. Just plastic body.. Why would a person buy such phone which looks same as the mid range.. People already using WPs would buy.. But people switching to WP would not buy such devices who have already been using best looking phones from android like htc one m9 , s6 edge, etc or person using an iphone.
    Lumia 640 is a midrange!!!!! for a midrange phone and it's price looks nice, but these two are supposed to be premium devices! you cannot have premium devices only on specs or only in looks. both aspects must come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Expectations of looks is one thing, but what I'm getting at is that it is being called ugly. By this logic, the 640 is ugly - which it's not. I also expected premium materials, but because it lacked it, it is disappointing. It's not ugly though.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-31-2015 05:30 PM
    Oh, no doubt it's the best by a long shot. I own one. Just saying that from the front and back and side, without any context even the 925 can look bad.
    Thats why put up the pictures of a black 925, still a good looking phone but not as nice as the white one, especially in pictures.

08-31-2015 05:43 PM
    These are Nokia budget designs... they look just like budget Lumias over the years, and nothing like ANY flagship Nokia has ever put out.
    Where? If anywhere does it say that these are budget designs? Links? Or proof of any kind? Or is that just an assumption?

08-31-2015 05:45 PM
    The on-screen buttons do disappear. What people, me included, are complaining about is the fact that this has bigger bezels than my 535, that whilst other manufacturers have been able to reduce the bezels every time.
    Are the bezels that big after the on-screen buttons disappear compared to other manufacturers?
    Attached Thumbnails phone-comparison.jpg  
    08-31-2015 06:23 PM
    Dull and uninspred or the best Lumia by many peoples account? Black 925

Lumia 925 still pretty great looking even these days. My friends really like the 925 and asking how much is it.

If we just have 950 with 925 looks but some updated features like removable back covers (Its a must for Lumia), similar camera design from 950 XL and maybe have front stereo speakers just like the N-Series days and HTC One series.
    I have a concept on other post but I'll just repost it here.
    lumia-concept.png

Additional to the discussion. I also played around the current leaked 950 and 950 XL images with some changes like speaker design from 640 XL and borrowing 950 XL camera to 950.
    mockup.png
    Speakers at the bottom, like most Lumia devices before.
    mockup2.png
    Same speaker placement from the leaked image but got 640 XL design instead of dotted speaker.
    mockup3.png
    Front stereo speakers just like old N-Series and HTC One devices. The bezel at the bottom is bit larger since we have to put speakers in it.
    mockup4.png
    Speakers place at the bottom side/base of the device, just like what 920, 820 and 1020 did. Not shown in the image.
    Last edited by aXross; 08-31-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    Solidgamez likes this.
    08-31-2015 08:46 PM
    Where? If anywhere does it say that these are budget designs? Links? Or proof of any kind? Or is that just an assumption?

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I'll bite. The 950/950 XL much more closely resembles the following Lumias than any of the flagships: 520, 530, 535, 1320, 620, 635, 640, 640 XL
    08-31-2015 09:48 PM
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but I'll bite. The 950/950 XL much more closely resembles the following Lumias than any of the flagships: 520, 530, 535, 1320, 620, 635, 640, 640 XL
    No,,im not joking. Is there any proof anywhere that these are so-called budget designs?

08-31-2015 10:11 PM
    Lumia 925 still pretty great looking even these days. My friends really like the 925 and asking how much is it.

If we just have 950 with 925 looks but some updated features like removable back covers (Its a must for Lumia), similar camera design from 950 XL and maybe have front stereo speakers just like the N-Series days and HTC One series.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lumia Concept.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	111413

Additional to the discussion. I also played around the current leaked 950 and 950 XL images with some changes like speaker design from 640 XL and borrowing 950 XL camera to 950.

Name:	mockup.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	111415

Name:	mockup2.png 
Views:	11 
ID:	111416
    Same speaker placement from the leaked image but got 640 XL design instead of dotted speaker.

Name:	mockup3.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	111417
    Front stereo speakers just like old N-Series and HTC One devices. The bezel at the bottom is bit larger since we have to put speakers in it.

Name:	mockup4.png 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	111418
    Speakers place at the bottom side/base of the device, just like what 920, 820 and 1020 did. Not shown in the image.
    Omg that edited Talkman looks wayy better with that speaker design... It looks really beautiful, so does that 925 inspired one... The Blue Cityman doesn't look that bad to me at all, it's really the Black Talkman I don't like, with its big fat ugly silver camera rim, and ugly placement of the speakers (not to mention the circle of dots looks cheap) and flash.. And its not necessarily those two individual specific things, but more so how the whole entire design of the back comes together...

But yea, both of those concepts look awesome
    Last edited by bo_woods; 09-06-2015 at 01:48 AM.
    aXross likes this.
    08-31-2015 10:15 PM
    And also by the way, back speakers placed on the top of the phone is better than the bottom function wise, because then your hand wont be covering them up, but still not as great as front facing or even bottom speakers imo... Im not complaining
    aXross likes this.
    08-31-2015 10:17 PM

Name:	Lumia Concept.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	111413

Name:	mockup.png 
Views:	14 
ID:	111415

Name:	mockup2.png 
ID:	111416

Name:	mockup3.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	111417

Name:	mockup4.png 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	111418
    Although since the 925 inspired one is using the silver rim, you should give it the white back, and use the black back on a dark metal rim
    aXross likes this.
    08-31-2015 10:20 PM
    No,,im not joking. Is there any proof anywhere that these are so-called budget designs?

What on earth are you asking? Would you call those phones flagships?
    08-31-2015 11:02 PM
    Omg that edited Talkman looks wayy better with that speaker design... It looks really beautiful, so does that 925 inspired one... The Talkman doesn't look that bad to me at all, it's really the Cityman I don't like, with its ugly silver camera rim, and ugly placement of the speakers and flash.. And its not necessarily those two individual specific things, but more so how the whole entire design of the back comes together...

But yea, bbothof those concepts look awesome
    Thanks and I agree! Few little changes can improve the looks a lot, which is quite magical in a sense. This is the best look so far I can tweak based on the image and looks way better at least than the original ones. Looks sleeker and the design as whole looks much more in harmony. Also I have to mention that I increased the screen size a bit to and reduce the bezel so the front looks more modern and sharp looking. Especially the bottom bezel which needs to reduce a lot since its quite too big in original, except with the front-speaker concept which needs to have bigger bezel to have room for speaker of course.

Dotted speaker did a lot of ruining the overall design of 950 and 950 XL. It instantly looks cheap-ish at the back because of it. That's the first thing I saw that I instantly underwhelmed by the looks of 950 and 950 XL.

At least 950 XL is indeed little bit better than 950, especially that weird camera ring and all the placements on other things. It really looks like a generic Chinese Android OEM at the back. Especially the fact that the devices lacks color options as we know

And also by the way, back speakers placed on the top of the phone is better than the bottom function wise, because then your hand wont be covering them up, but still not as great as front facing or even bottom speakers imo... Im not complaining
    I agree, technically speaker near the camera and top portion of the device is better on function-wise and technically more feasible when making slim phones. You have to cram everything on the top and the rest will have battery and screen consuming the space.
    That's why I included in the concepts. But yeah, I always prefer front stereo speakers because....this is a flagship and N-Series used to have those. Also it always good to have high-quality, louder speakers for the phone. Useful for many cases and always an advantage. I honestly dislike the trend of mono speakers and lack of camera shutter that we used to have Pre-iPhone days.

Although since the 925 inspired one is using the silver rim, you should give it the white back, and use the black back on a dark metal rim
    lumia-950-concept-collection.jpg
    Here I tried to make even more color options and even gold. :)
    Last edited by aXross; 09-01-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Update with new concepts
    Solidgamez likes this.
    09-01-2015 06:19 AM
157 ... 34567