The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Cityman and Talkman press images?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

36 30.51%
  • Meh, take a penny leave a penny

45 38.14%
  • Hideous. If this was a human being, i'd shoot it in the face.

41 34.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
09-07-2015 02:24 AM
157 ... 4567
tools
    What on earth are you asking? Would you call those phones flagships?
    Yes. Top notch camera, SD810, hi-res screen, Iris scanner, replacable battery, sd card support, rich recording. I dont see anything mid or low range about them.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    09-01-2015 09:26 AM
    These must be Nokia latest unfinished design patterns made by the guys that were thrown away by Satya, and Microsoft didn't bother to finish them up..why to bother with something that implies more costs.Besides the Surface line, eveything at MS looks now cheap, amateur made, with a serious lack of quality and detail.
    How in the world can you tell anything about the quality of a phone you havnt even seen or held in person.

09-01-2015 09:28 AM
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but I'll bite. The 950/950 XL much more closely resembles the following Lumias than any of the flagships: 520, 530, 535, 1320, 620, 635, 640, 640 XL
    What does THIS phone being a flagship have to do with what it resembles? Cheap iphone knock offs look so much like the real thing people cant even tell them apart,,,does that mean there high end devices?

09-01-2015 09:32 AM
    Yes. Top notch camera, SD810, hi-res screen, Iris scanner, replacable battery, sd card support, rich recording. I dont see anything mid or low range about them.

This whole time you thought I was talking about specs? I'm talking strictly design. Those Lumia 950/XL renders are as low-mid range in aesthetics as Lumias come.
    09-01-2015 12:57 PM
    What does THIS phone being a flagship have to do with what it resembles? Cheap iphone knock offs look so much like the real thing people cant even tell them apart,,,does that mean there high end devices?

I really don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL resemble the more boring, drab designs of low-mid range Lumias. Much more so than they do previous Lumia flagships, which as countless others have noted used to be the gold standard in flagship design. The 950 and 950 XL, as a ton of others can see, are aesthetically challenged.
    09-01-2015 01:03 PM
    I really don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL resemble the more boring, drab designs of low-mid range Lumias. Much more so than they do previous Lumia flagships, which as countless others have noted used to be the gold standard in flagship design. The 950 and 950 XL, as a ton of others can see, are aesthetically challenged.
    Once again,, these are your assumptions on what a flagship should look like. Has absolutely nothing to do what Nokia has dona in the past. What other Nokia phones they resemble. Or What other Nokia flagships have looked like.
    You DONT work for nokia.
    You have no idea what theire future design languages would have looked like if they werent purchased by MS .
    You are NOT nokia.

09-01-2015 01:33 PM
    This whole time you thought I was talking about specs? I'm talking strictly design. Those Lumia 950/XL renders are as low-mid range in aesthetics as Lumias come.
    Im talking about both.

09-01-2015 01:34 PM
    I agree! I think a bottom bezel that is too small is hugely annoying. What makes me think it looks cheap is the placement of the screen relative to the Bezel, personally I think that handhelds with approximately equal top and bottom bezel look incredibly boring and basic, one of the reasons I dislike the look of iPhone and galaxy.
    09-01-2015 01:58 PM
    Once again,, these are your assumptions on what a flagship should look like. Has absolutely nothing to do what Nokia has dona in the past. What other Nokia phones they resemble. Or What other Nokia flagships have looked like.
    You DONT work for nokia.
    You have no idea what theire future design languages would have looked like if they werent purchased by MS .
    You are NOT nokia.

I haven't assumed a damn thing. I offered a ton of examples of what Nokia flagships look like vs what Nokia low-mid tier Lumias look like. The difference is obvious. The resemblance between the low-mid tier and what Microsoft calls a "flagship" is obvious.

The only one making assumptions is you... that Nokia magically would have decided to make an ugly flagship Lumia based on their low-mid end designs when it's done that 0% of the time. There's a reason none of the flagships under Nokia's auspices garnered the enormous criticism these Microsoft abominations have, let alone even a little criticism.
    GMC262 likes this.
    09-01-2015 03:46 PM
    Looks a lot like a cross between a 930 and 1520 to me. I wouldn't say that's based on mid to low end devices. The 830 and I think it was a 630 I played with, both had cheap snap on plastic backs, which the 950/950xl do not seem to have.
    09-01-2015 05:03 PM
    I haven't assumed a damn thing. I offered a ton of examples of what Nokia flagships look like vs what Nokia low-mid tier Lumias look like. The difference is obvious. The resemblance between the low-mid tier and what Microsoft calls a "flagship" is obvious.

The only one making assumptions is you... that Nokia magically would have decided to make an ugly flagship Lumia based on their low-mid end designs when it's done that 0% of the time. There's a reason none of the flagships under Nokia's auspices garnered the enormous criticism these Microsoft abominations have, let alone even a little criticism.
    Unless you work for Nokia everything your saying is just speculation and assumptions.

09-01-2015 05:51 PM
    Software controls look cheap. No, wait, in fact they're screaming loud: "Yo, look, no buttons! Another dolar saved!"
    These two pretend to be FLAGSHIPS. No flagship should have hiding/unhiding software controls. This is cheap and uncomfortable.
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:58 AM
    Software controls look cheap. No, wait, in fact they're screaming loud: "Yo, look, no buttons! Another dolar saved!"
    These two pretend to be FLAGSHIPS. No flagship should have hiding/unhiding software controls. This is cheap and uncomfortable.
    Let's get an understanding of where the software buttons come from. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying there is a valid reason behind the whole thing, which is "Good Business" for Microsoft.
    The only reason that Microsoft is making phones at this point, since they have decided to bring it down to just a few devices, is to do what they did with the Surface line. That is to showcase to other manufacturers what the possibilities are. They aren't necessarily trying to make the absolute top thing out there, they are using this to entice other hardware manufacturers to make Windows 10 for Mobile phones.

Problem is, those manufacturers are currently concentrating on making Android phones, and if they can switch to software buttons, that same Android phone can also use software buttons, and lo and behold! They can make the same phone for Windows and Android, and if the Windows ends up not selling well, they can reflash to Android and not have a lot of lost sales from it. Microsoft is betting that if they can make it easier for other manufacturers to produce (one design for both platforms instead of 2 designs) by making it cheaper on R&D (because you don't need to R&D a second Windows device, just the Android one), then it will entice more to make Windows phones, and get more out there.

It's the same thing Microsoft is doing with Project Astoria and Project Islandwood. Making it easier (and cheaper) to get their apps on Windows 10 for Mobile, and making it easier (and cheaper) to produce Windows phones, the combination will be certain to make a splash.

Yeah, maybe it's drab. The Acer flagship that has Continuum didn't look too bad, and a lot of other manufacturer's are lining up and getting ready to announce. THAT is the whole point of it. If Microsoft made it look better than every other phone out there, the other manufacturers probably wouldn't bother with stepping up to the plate. We need those other manufacturers.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-02-2015 08:14 AM
    Personally I'm fine with on-screen buttons as long as they're implemented right and if they don't make the overall looks at the front average looking.

The problem is that 950 and 950 XL implementation makes the front of the device leaves that large bezel chin that is basically unused space. They could improve the looks if they manage to make it bit slimmer, thus having larger screen and bit smaller body size because of smaller bezels. That alone improves a lot.

I can't blame though, many of us spoiled having capacitive buttons that make use of the space at the bottom and taking advantage every pixel on the screen for actual content. Not a bad reasoning really, its just Microsoft happens to implement the not-so-good things.

Here I have a mockup how can current design of 950 and 950 XL can be improved by tweaking some things like reducing the bezel and changing the speaker design at the back.
    mockup2.png
    09-02-2015 10:06 AM
    Let's get an understanding of where the software buttons come from.

[...]
    I understand the idea. I'd even go further - let the user choose the OS he wants, like in PC.
    Buy a device with preinstalled OS then do whatever you like - change to Android, return to Windows, and so on. Maybe that's the way manufacturers should go.

But I still think that software controls look cheap or at least should not go with flagships.

IMHO the user experience with software controls is really, really bad - at least with WP8.2, never used it on Android.
    I had L730 and sold it after two months only due to this feature - I really couldn't get used to it. I felt a great relief when switched to L830 with controls always in place. Even the lack of camera button in L730 was not as frustrating as those evil software controls.
    09-02-2015 10:13 AM
    IMHO the user experience with software controls is really, really bad - at least with WP8.2, never used it on Android.
    I had L730 and sold it after two months only due to this feature - I really couldn't get used to it.
    I'm liking it so much better than the hardware buttons. It took me about 20 minutes to get used to it, with the hiding/unhiding feature. LOVING that so much. I like how now I don't have to worry about accidentally pressing the search button in a pocket or something. So great. I guess it isn't for everyone, just like some people loved the tiled interface on Windows Desktop and others spewed hate because it was different. Yeah, I understand why some people still want physical keys, just like I also understand why some people want a physical keyboard. It's why there is so much variety. Just because Microsoft made the on-screen keys available, doesn't mean everyone will design it that way. Others may just pop in replacement buttons at the manufacturing plant to switch between Windows 10 and Android.
    libra89 and GMC262 like this.
    09-02-2015 10:38 AM
    Non-cheap looking devices: Lumia 920 and 1020. Enough said.
    aXross likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:57 AM
    No, never again the physical keyboard. But I want the buttons. The design of the 920 and 1020 are perfect. As far as overall style, the 950 range is cheap looking by comparison and definitely NOT flagship. Not with a 20mp camera.
    fx747 likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:00 AM
    have you guys seen the Acer Jade Primo? how elegant is made, what nice design it has. Now we have a flagship phone from another OEM for windows to compare. Sorry but the current 950/950xl look like trashcans to the Acer Primo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 11:52 AM
    Let's get an understanding of where the software buttons come from. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying there is a valid reason behind the whole thing, which is "Good Business" for Microsoft.
    The only reason that Microsoft is making phones at this point, since they have decided to bring it down to just a few devices, is to do what they did with the Surface line. That is to showcase to other manufacturers what the possibilities are. They aren't necessarily trying to make the absolute top thing out there, they are using this to entice other hardware manufacturers to make Windows 10 for Mobile phones.

Problem is, those manufacturers are currently concentrating on making Android phones, and if they can switch to software buttons, that same Android phone can also use software buttons, and lo and behold! They can make the same phone for Windows and Android, and if the Windows ends up not selling well, they can reflash to Android and not have a lot of lost sales from it. Microsoft is betting that if they can make it easier for other manufacturers to produce (one design for both platforms instead of 2 designs) by making it cheaper on R&D (because you don't need to R&D a second Windows device, just the Android one), then it will entice more to make Windows phones, and get more out there.

It's the same thing Microsoft is doing with Project Astoria and Project Islandwood. Making it easier (and cheaper) to get their apps on Windows 10 for Mobile, and making it easier (and cheaper) to produce Windows phones, the combination will be certain to make a splash.

Yeah, maybe it's drab. The Acer flagship that has Continuum didn't look too bad, and a lot of other manufacturer's are lining up and getting ready to announce. THAT is the whole point of it. If Microsoft made it look better than every other phone out there, the other manufacturers probably wouldn't bother with stepping up to the plate. We need those other manufacturers.
    Well in terms of top notch flagship devices Microsoft should not go cheap like they seem to do with many things. And about the Acer Primo, yes that is a phone with high end specs and a beautiful and elegant design that would beat any time the 950. in. a day or two we should see more bigger pictures of the Primo phone and we can bring them here to compare...and Acer didn't go cheap on that as it looks. Sorry Microsoft but your designers simply do not know how to create a good phone.

09-02-2015 11:59 AM
    have you guys seen the Acer Jade Primo? how elegant is made, what nice design it has. Now we have a flagship phone from another OEM for windows to compare. Sorry but the current 950/950xl look like trashcans to the Acer Primo.

Introducing the all new ACER galaxy s4

Attached Thumbnails 78279.jpg  
    aXross likes this.
    09-02-2015 02:31 PM
    Well in terms of top notch flagship devices Microsoft should not go cheap like they seem to do with many things. And about the Acer Primo, yes that is a phone with high end specs and a beautiful and elegant design that would beat any time the 950. in. a day or two we should see more bigger pictures of the Primo phone and we can bring them here to compare...and Acer didn't go cheap on that as it looks. Sorry Microsoft but your designers simply do not know how to create a good phone.

Lol id have to disagree... The Acer Jade Primo looks like just another cheap budget android device... Doesn't at all stand out in the crowd the way Windows 8 Lumia flagship designs did in terms of beauty and uniqueness... This acer phone looks like a Samsung budget device
    Canjok likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:03 PM
    No, never again the physical keyboard. But I want the buttons. The design of the 920 and 1020 are perfect. As far as overall style, the 950 range is cheap looking by comparison and definitely NOT flagship. Not with a 20mp camera.
    Agree. IMHO physical keyboard can be successfully replaced by software keyboard. I find it almost as comfortable as physical (been a big fan of Nokia E71 and E6 hardware), at least on 5" screen. With Swype it makes a powerful text entry virtual device.
    But the control buttons must be in their own place, still in the same, always accessible.
    09-02-2015 03:07 PM
    Don't feel like wading through the whole thread, but in case this hasn't been screamed yet: "press image" means an image of the actual product, published by the manufacturer.
    THAT IS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY EXACTLY WHAT THESE ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Joe Acerbic; 09-02-2015 at 07:25 PM.
    09-02-2015 05:54 PM
    People need to reserve judgment on these phones until you actually have them in hand. I too complained vehemently about the blah looks of the Icon when the first renders/pics hit the web, I even tweeted Microsoft and some individuals at Microsoft about my disappointment. Then...I actually felt compelled to tweet them back, with an apology. Once I saw the phone in person I was pleasantly stunned, I bought the white one instantly! Secondly, the look and feel of "premium" is completely subjective, people have different opinions of these things. I have 'never' thought that the cheap eggshell feel of the Galaxy "felt" premium in my hands, and the looks are just average (the edge steps it up a little). I wouldn't buy a Windows phone that looks and feels like a Galaxy, others would love it. The point is that there is no particular way that a premium phone "should' look and feel (other than reasonable thinness), it's for the owner to decide. That being said, if the Windows logo on the back is made of metal instead of just painted on, it would be a big plus in terms of adding to the elegance. Understated and distinguished is what I like, not a gaudy blinged out look that would be a candidate to be swinging around Flava Flav's neck next to his clock. (like that gold iPhone...Jeezus!) Also, the durability of the polycarbonate is preferable to all metal, "for me". Add a little metal trim here and there without going overboard and you have yourself a nice "premium" phone. (The specs are what really makes it premium anyway.) As far as the poll goes, I didn't answer it...there is a category between "Love it" and "Meh" that is missing, that's the one I would choose.
    bijak_riyandi, libra89 and aXross like this.
    09-02-2015 11:52 PM
157 ... 4567