Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I am just appalled by how ugly these devices are ( Just my opinion)

The 1520 was beautiful, and the 930/ICON was too (it is just too damn thick)

These phones appear to have absolutely no elegance or beauty at all, like some cheap manufacturers android device...
This phone is hideous imho, and I hope what appears is going to be Microsoft's "Surface Phone" is beautiful, aesthetically pleasing, while also being arguably the best Windows Device there is (Much like the Surface Pro 3), because these are just ugly and many people agree...

and its not even about one or two small details. It is how the entire design comes together....

A thick bottom bezel WHILE also having on screen buttons on top of it...

Why are they still slapping ugly worded branding on the front of their mobile devices, when it will look so much better without it ( I completely understand Samsung and others do this, but come on, you have to agree the front branding is hideous. This is why the AT&T L830 has the best Lumia front panel IMHO... Just beautiful smooth glass, no logos anywhere.)

The ugly designed camera bump... The 925 camera bump was beautiful, and so was the 1520's, and the cancelled McLaren.... but something about this one screams monstrosity, and that silver rim around the 950xl camera looks very tacky

Lastly the speaker design... It's ugly, ugly, ugly!! Do I even need to go into this one?

Once again, don't attack me for complaining about the camera design, or the bezel, or the on screen buttons, please. Because its not just the thick bezel paired up with on screen buttons, or the hideous speaker design... It's the fact that they did all these sins and slapped them together on one device... These are just too many hideous aesthetic flaws on one single device... This phone doesn't at all look luxurious like the 925, 830, 1520, or 930/ICON...

At this point, If these devices come out Microsoft's womb looking like this... I will not be buying

So if what I hope is the Surface Phone disappoints either aesthetically or functionality wise also, I will be going with another mobile platform...
(Will still stay with Xbox, and Surface though, because XBOX>PS4, and Apple doesn't offer anything like the Surface... yet)

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What I don't get is, we've already seen these press images before without all this "lookit dis fugly bezzle" comments. We get some blurry-*** images posted today and everyone goes nuts.

The bezel isn't *that* big and it looks like any other smartphone out there. Actually, this looks like a L640, really. Did anyone say the L640 looked like ***? No. In my opinion, so long as the glass is premium, the plastic strong/premium like my old 920 and it has a flagship worthy camera, I'm good. Even if it still looks like the L640.

And why is there so much talk about how it looks? It's like a bunch of iPhone fanboys critiquing around here today.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php

I'm expecting a design a little closer to this image for my next Windows Phone. It has a very clean and professional look to it. I hope HTC hasn't given up on Windows Phone. They did a really decent job on my HTC One M8 (Windows Phone)

Attachments

• 111091d1440697848t-samsung-galaxy-note-5.jpg
    111091d1440697848t-samsung-galaxy-note-5.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 160

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
What are the top/bottom 5 dots on blue one's back? Also, why power (I assume bc it's bigger) button on the same blue one is in between Volume ?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
What I don't get is, we've already seen these press images before without all this "lookit dis fugly bezzle" comments. We get some blurry-*** images posted today and everyone goes nuts.

The bezel isn't *that* big and it looks like any other smartphone out there. Actually, this looks like a L640, really. Did anyone say the L640 looked like ***? No. In my opinion, so long as the glass is premium, the plastic strong/premium like my old 920 and it has a flagship worthy camera, I'm good. Even if it still looks like the L640.

And why is there so much talk about how it looks? It's like a bunch of iPhone fanboys critiquing around here today.

The 640 is a budget device, therefore I don't think people put aesthetics/design up as much as a factor in the purchase... Budget devices are more about large functionality for a small price if I'm not mistaken... Just my 2 cents

Also there doesn't need to necessarily be "iPhone fanboys" here today in order for there to be much talk of the design... Lumia right alongside the camera and other features has always been a series that's been blessed with great, beautiful designs for flagships that were mostly plastic, but good plastic and still beautiful.
These forums are full of ppl praising Lumia design, including the unibody plastic phones.. It's not the plastic that I think ppl are upset about...or the materials at all... They have just made what appears to be an ugly device in many many ppl's eyes

I understand cool features (especially camera) have always been a plus with Lumia, but please don't exclude the fact that beautiful, high quality, simple, while also unique designs haven't been apart of the Lumia trademark also, by saying "iphone fanboys" must be around today, as if Lumia owners weren't ever in love with design, and iPhones have been the only devices known and praised for beauty

Sorry for the long text book but... Had to make my point :p

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=111106&stc=1
I'm expecting a design a little closer to this image for my next Windows Phone. It has a very clean and professional look to it. I hope HTC hasn't given up on Windows Phone. They did a really decent job on my HTC One M8 (Windows Phone)

I agree with everything you said. The phone in the photo is beautiful, but, please Microsoft abandon your "copying other people" design strategy and learn from the image and design something unique and better. (Don't copy Samsung and stop copying apple and goggle.)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Companies can barely put sapphire glass in their phones and now you want titanium?!! At least a titanium and sapphire phone will be literally indestructible ;)

Read what I wrote. I said I would prefer to have titanium over aluminum, not that I was demanding a titanium phone. Sure, I'd probably buy if the specs were high enough to make it last quite a few years, but aluminum just won't last. I don't care how "pretty" it is. You can have it. I'd also rather have the plastic body instead. There's always slapping a case on one or modding it to suit your liking. I don't like my phone looking like everyone the phone everyone else has that bought the same model. I like it customized anyway.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Eh, while pretty phones may be nice, I've realized that since I always use a case, I don't really care about that kind of stuff anymore. I remember thinking how cool the HTC One M7 looked when I got it, but I immediately covered it up with a case.

I just don't understand how Panos Panay, the head of Surface could also allow these products to go through looking like that.

That being said, I'll reserve any final judgement until I see them in person.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand how Panos Panay, the head of Surface could also allow these products to go through looking like that.

I thought about that too. The only answer I can get to is that Microsoft really has their backs up against the wall on getting out a Flagship in 2015. So these two are the best that they have ready to go. Hopefully Panay will have more say with the "metal device" that has been mentioned multiple times by Rubino, Warren, and Thurrot. Rubino recently said that he's expecting it in May of 2016.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
They don't look bad, but I really feel like rounded edges and plastic isn't going to make a phone that people find more appealing then an iPhone 6. I mean, if someone walks into BestBuy and sees an iPhone 6 and then looks over and sees what is supposedly the L950.... Are they really going to have any incentive to choose the L950 over the iPhone 6? Probably not. It's a matter of choice but the only reason I would is because I like the Windows phone OS and most people don't have a clue what that even is. The fact of the matter is that people care ALOT about exterior aesthetics: to ignore this is suicide as far as market-success.

In my personal opinion, this would be a great look for MS to go for. Please don't burn me at the stake for having an opinion.
lumia-950xl-concept.jpg

Last edited:

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
They don't look bad, but I really feel like rounded edges and plastic isn't going to make a phone that people find more appealing then an iPhone 6. I mean, if someone walks into BestBuy and sees an iPhone 6 and then looks over and sees what is supposedly the L950.... Are they really going to have any incentive to choose the L950 over the iPhone 6? Probably not. It's a matter of choice but the only reason I would is because I like the Windows phone OS and most people don't have a clue what that even is. The fact of the matter is that people care ALOT about exterior aesthetics: to ignore this is suicide as far as market-success.

In my personal opinion, this would be a great look for MS to go for. Please don't burn me at the stake for having an opinion.
View attachment 111116
+1

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they're ugly but when comparing them to the previous 900 series Lumias (excluding the 928) they're definitely underwhelming. I couldn't care less about bezels either. The 920 had a big frame for only having a 4.5" screen but it still looked and felt like a classy device. The 950s look more like oversized versions of the 640s which were oversized versions of the 630. Then you have the cheap and pointless on screen buttons and the really dumb volume and power button placement on whatever the cyan render is. So there's a lot of questionable design going on which should've been a slam dunk. What's so hard is making a slightly bigger 925 or a smaller version of the 1520? Only MS could screw this up.

Personally I'm more concerned about Windows 10 Mobile. You can have the greatest and sexiest hardware but if the software is poorly thought out wannabe garbage then why should I care?

Tragic

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I really don't like that huge white Microsoft logo on the back. Too much bezel on the top and bottom, especially the bottom. This phone looks horrible in cyan. I might just buy me a 1520.3 throw W10 on it and call it a day until/if the fabled surface phone surfaces or a better looking phone from Microsoft is released. Again though they are just renders and I may eat my words when the phone is officially reviled.

dp84

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I remember a post on this site saying that the 950xl was "sexy as hell"... Maybe they wanted to say "ugly as hell" . Microsoft basically gave us a ring surrounded by a 635 cheap looking design... They had the best designs.. 1520 735 830 720 928 920 even the 1020 was immensely better .... All I expected was an updated 1520 or 830 design... Good job Microsoft screwing up the iconic Lumia design and giving us a generic unbranded look to a flagship phone!

Last edited:

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 111116

That concept looks absolutely amazing. I don't get why MS couldn't come up with something like this. With all that potential and money their designers should be capable of doing wonders, for crying out loud! To be honest, I don't hate those designs we saw yesterday but I'm not digging them either - it's just that I want MS to look the best out there. We're already aware of its inner beauty, aren't we?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This type of thread happens everytime a rendernis leaked. Then people chabge their minds ehrn they see the phone in peraon. Happened with the lumia 925 which in person, is a gorgeous phone.withthat said... Yeah this phone looks underwhelming lol

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I'd like a phone that is not only functional, but stylish AND durable. Something that will be nearly indestructible.

I think I've found it. Check out this bad boy. With everyone liking "thin aluminum", this one may not be to everyone's taste, because it uses 18K Red Gold, Titanium, and leather, and it's completely hand-crafted. Each unit is built by hand, and you can have it customized to your liking. You can also get Alligator leather, Ostrich, and a number of other rare leathers, in the color of your choosing.
LuxuryPhone.png

Of course, there's a price to pay for that kind of bling. Not even the most expensive phone they sell. They actually sell a candy-bar style dumb phone for over $31,000 US.

This is the "can stop a bullet and you can still make a call" kind of phone.

Now, if they only made that with Windows 10, I'd be happy.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This type of thread happens everytime a rendernis leaked. Then people chabge their minds ehrn they see the phone in peraon.

I've never seen a community response this strong to a press image.

I'm sure you're right, it'll look a bit better with some new angles and in person. But it's still pretty dull and ugly.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'd like a phone that is not only functional, but stylish AND durable. Something that will be nearly indestructible.

I think I've found it. Check out this bad boy. With everyone liking "thin aluminum", this one may not be to everyone's taste, because it uses 18K Red Gold, Titanium, and leather, and it's completely hand-crafted. Each unit is built by hand, and you can have it customized to your liking. You can also get Alligator leather, Ostrich, and a number of other rare leathers, in the color of your choosing.
View attachment 111134

Of course, there's a price to pay for that kind of bling. Not even the most expensive phone they sell. They actually sell a candy-bar style dumb phone for over $31,000 US.

This is the "can stop a bullet and you can still make a call" kind of phone.

Now, if they only made that with Windows 10, I'd be happy.

There was actually a possibility that Vertu phones could have launched with Windows Phone 7 or 8. Never happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo