Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There was actually a possibility that Vertu phones could have launched with Windows Phone 7 or 8. Never happened.

But if they did, Windows Phone would have been top by now, because we all know this is what everyone buys. Oh, wait. Nevermind. I suppose that wouldn't have helped with the market saturation campaign Microsoft was doing with the budget line, eh? Hehehe!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
But if they did, Windows Phone would have been top by now, because we all know this is what everyone buys. Oh, wait. Nevermind. I suppose that wouldn't have helped with the market saturation campaign Microsoft was doing with the budget line, eh? Hehehe!

The idle rich: Vertu decided Windows Phone 8 was "too complex", opted for Android | Windows Central

"...we're still happy that Vertu is in the phone business, as opposed to say the medical industry.
It would be heartbreaking to hear they gave up on trying to cure cancer because it was just too complex."

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I remember a post on this site saying that the 950xl was "sexy as hell"... Maybe they wanted to say "ugly as hell" . Microsoft basically gave us a ring surrounded by a 635 cheap looking design... They had the best designs.. 1520 735 830 720 928 920 even the 1020 was immensely better .... All I expected was an updated 1520 or 830 design... Good job Microsoft screwing up the iconic Lumia design and giving us a generic unbranded look to a flagship phone!

The 950 and 950xl were designed by nokia so if you wanna blame somebody then blame the people that designed it-Nokia.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally i really like the design its clean and understated. I dont get where the it "looks cheap" comments are coming from. What looks cheap? What exactly is a non cheap phone supposed to look like? Should it be triangle shaped? Or maybe hexagon? Should it be gold plated and have diamonds for buttons in order for it to LOOK expensive?

Really? This devices look **** compared to 930/1520.. They just look like the mid rangers(close to 640xl). Look at the iphone6 or android devices like htc one m9, or s6edge or any other device.. MS flagships looks **** in front of them.. No metal frame was the worst thing they did not use on their flagships.. People switching from android or ios would never like to buy such plastic flagship phones..

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
...also, by saying "iphone fanboys" must be around today, as if Lumia owners weren't ever in love with design, and iPhones have been the only devices known and praised for beauty

Sorry for the long text book but... Had to make my point :p

Whoa, whoa, whoa! iPhone fanboys. Yeah, those were fightin' words. I'll take that back-haha. After reading so many threads with complaints about aesthetics, I was in full smh mode. Even though the L640 was a budget phone, I never saw a post like "well it's ugly, but I'll ignore it because it's cheap."

Beauty is in the eye of blah-blah, yes. In my opinion, all these slabs of glass, metal and plastic are very similar looking. Even the Note 5 used as an example really only looks different with the silver around the edge and earpiece. And if the L640 didn't look revolting at first appearance, why should a similarly styled flagship phone suddenly be looked upon as being so ugly with a huge bezel (nevermind that the row of on-screen buttons were up giving the bezel a larger appearance), speaker placement-ugh, the camera hump ain't right, etc.

It's an overreaction, particularly those who said they're abandoning the platform because of the way it looks, but that they love WP UI - yet they're going to jump ship to Android/iPhone. Really? I think that was what triggered my "iPhone ******" name-calling because that's the kind of superficial decision making I don't see normally see in the WP community.

Oops, I guess I'll apologize for the long response too. :D

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Whoa, whoa, whoa! iPhone fanboys. Yeah, those were fightin' words. I'll take that back-haha. After reading so many threads with complaints about aesthetics, I was in full smh mode. Even though the L640 was a budget phone, I never saw a post like "well it's ugly, but I'll ignore it because it's cheap."

Beauty is in the eye of blah-blah, yes. In my opinion, all these slabs of glass, metal and plastic are very similar looking. Even the Note 5 used as an example really only looks different with the silver around the edge and earpiece. And if the L640 didn't look revolting at first appearance, why should a similarly styled flagship phone suddenly be looked upon as being so ugly with a huge bezel (nevermind that the row of on-screen buttons were up giving the bezel a larger appearance), speaker placement-ugh, the camera hump ain't right, etc.

It's an overreaction, particularly those who said they're abandoning the platform because of the way it looks, but that they love WP UI - yet they're going to jump ship to Android/iPhone. Really? I think that was what triggered my "iPhone ******" name-calling because that's the kind of superficial decision making I don't see normally see in the WP community.

Oops, I guess I'll apologize for the long response too. :D
640 is a budget phone, so the looks would be as per the price.. When you see 830 it looks better and premium with that aluminium frame than 640 thats why it is costly.. Now talking about these flagships they look same as the midrangers.. No premium look.. No metal frames.. Just plastic body.. Why would a person buy such phone which looks same as the mid range.. People already using WPs would buy.. But people switching to WP would not buy such devices who have already been using best looking phones from android like htc one m9 , s6 edge, etc or person using an iphone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The 950 and 950xl were designed by nokia so if you wanna blame somebody then blame the people that designed it-Nokia.

Unless people claiming this actually worked on designing these phones this statement is pure speculation regardless of who states it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Unless people claiming this actually worked on designing these phones this statement is pure speculation regardless of who states it.

I tend to trust Rubino on these types of matters.

Microsoft (carrying over from Nokia) is going all polycarbonate. While the phones should be lighter, have swappable batteries and be much more resilient I fear that it is the wrong choice for going into 2016.

Microsoft is going towards metal with the alleged 'Surface phone' in what will be the first Microsoft-designed device.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Really? This devices look **** compared to 930/1520.. They just look like the mid rangers(close to 640xl). Look at the iphone6 or android devices like htc one m9, or s6edge or any other device.. MS flagships looks **** in front of them.. No metal frame was the worst thing they did not use on their flagships.. People switching from android or ios would never like to buy such plastic flagship phones..

This is all your opinion and your welcome to it. I had the 925 looked great and i think these look better.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
640 is a budget phone, so the looks would be as per the price.. When you see 830 it looks better and premium with that aluminium frame than 640 thats why it is costly.. Now talking about these flagships they look same as the midrangers.. No premium look.. No metal frames.. Just plastic body.. Why would a person buy such phone which looks same as the mid range.. People already using WPs would buy.. But people switching to WP would not buy such devices who have already been using best looking phones from android like htc one m9 , s6 edge, etc or person using an iphone.

Aluminum is a cheap metal... If you want an aluminum phone that bad then buy a roll of aluminum foil cut it out to match your phone and glue it on. There you go instant premium expensive looking flagship phone.

Last edited:

Harsh Jain2

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Phones like 920,1020,1520 were in good quality,but after microsoft branding,the ongoing new models,looks very cheap compared to nokia branding phones. And i hate it the most.
If microsoft wanna survive,then it should increase it's quality matter.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Phones like 920,1020,1520 were in good quality,but after microsoft branding,the ongoing new models,looks very cheap compared to nokia branding phones. And i hate it the most.
If microsoft wanna survive,then it should increase it's quality matter.

These ARE nokia designed phones,,they just have microsoft branding.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes ugly isn't cheap. Looks like a Transformer in disguise.

Reminds me of an apocryphal quote by Ed Whitacre, CEO/Chairman of General Motors in the years following the bankruptcy. An automotive journalist had asked him about GM's "cheap interiors". Whitacre is said to have replied: "We don't have cheap interiors. We have expensive interiors that look cheap."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077