Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
IMHO the user experience with software controls is really, really bad - at least with WP8.2, never used it on Android.
I had L730 and sold it after two months only due to this feature - I really couldn't get used to it.
I'm liking it so much better than the hardware buttons. It took me about 20 minutes to get used to it, with the hiding/unhiding feature. LOVING that so much. I like how now I don't have to worry about accidentally pressing the search button in a pocket or something. So great. I guess it isn't for everyone, just like some people loved the tiled interface on Windows Desktop and others spewed hate because it was different. Yeah, I understand why some people still want physical keys, just like I also understand why some people want a physical keyboard. It's why there is so much variety. Just because Microsoft made the on-screen keys available, doesn't mean everyone will design it that way. Others may just pop in replacement buttons at the manufacturing plant to switch between Windows 10 and Android.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
No, never again the physical keyboard. But I want the buttons. The design of the 920 and 1020 are perfect. As far as overall style, the 950 range is cheap looking by comparison and definitely NOT flagship. Not with a 20mp camera.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

have you guys seen the Acer Jade Primo? how elegant is made, what nice design it has. Now we have a flagship phone from another OEM for windows to compare. Sorry but the current 950/950xl look like trashcans to the Acer Primo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Let's get an understanding of where the software buttons come from. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying there is a valid reason behind the whole thing, which is "Good Business" for Microsoft.
The only reason that Microsoft is making phones at this point, since they have decided to bring it down to just a few devices, is to do what they did with the Surface line. That is to showcase to other manufacturers what the possibilities are. They aren't necessarily trying to make the absolute top thing out there, they are using this to entice other hardware manufacturers to make Windows 10 for Mobile phones.

Problem is, those manufacturers are currently concentrating on making Android phones, and if they can switch to software buttons, that same Android phone can also use software buttons, and lo and behold! They can make the same phone for Windows and Android, and if the Windows ends up not selling well, they can reflash to Android and not have a lot of lost sales from it. Microsoft is betting that if they can make it easier for other manufacturers to produce (one design for both platforms instead of 2 designs) by making it cheaper on R&D (because you don't need to R&D a second Windows device, just the Android one), then it will entice more to make Windows phones, and get more out there.

It's the same thing Microsoft is doing with Project Astoria and Project Islandwood. Making it easier (and cheaper) to get their apps on Windows 10 for Mobile, and making it easier (and cheaper) to produce Windows phones, the combination will be certain to make a splash.

Yeah, maybe it's drab. The Acer flagship that has Continuum didn't look too bad, and a lot of other manufacturer's are lining up and getting ready to announce. THAT is the whole point of it. If Microsoft made it look better than every other phone out there, the other manufacturers probably wouldn't bother with stepping up to the plate. We need those other manufacturers.

Well in terms of top notch flagship devices Microsoft should not go cheap like they seem to do with many things. And about the Acer Primo, yes that is a phone with high end specs and a beautiful and elegant design that would beat any time the 950. in. a day or two we should see more bigger pictures of the Primo phone and we can bring them here to compare...and Acer didn't go cheap on that as it looks. Sorry Microsoft but your designers simply do not know how to create a good phone.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

have you guys seen the Acer Jade Primo? how elegant is made, what nice design it has. Now we have a flagship phone from another OEM for windows to compare. Sorry but the current 950/950xl look like trashcans to the Acer Primo.

Introducing the all new ACER galaxy s4

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 78279.jpg
    78279.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 30

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well in terms of top notch flagship devices Microsoft should not go cheap like they seem to do with many things. And about the Acer Primo, yes that is a phone with high end specs and a beautiful and elegant design that would beat any time the 950. in. a day or two we should see more bigger pictures of the Primo phone and we can bring them here to compare...and Acer didn't go cheap on that as it looks. Sorry Microsoft but your designers simply do not know how to create a good phone.

Lol id have to disagree... The Acer Jade Primo looks like just another cheap budget android device... Doesn't at all stand out in the crowd the way Windows 8 Lumia flagship designs did in terms of beauty and uniqueness... This acer phone looks like a Samsung budget device

fx747

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
No, never again the physical keyboard. But I want the buttons. The design of the 920 and 1020 are perfect. As far as overall style, the 950 range is cheap looking by comparison and definitely NOT flagship. Not with a 20mp camera.

Agree. IMHO physical keyboard can be successfully replaced by software keyboard. I find it almost as comfortable as physical (been a big fan of Nokia E71 and E6 hardware), at least on 5" screen. With Swype it makes a powerful text entry virtual device.
But the control buttons must be in their own place, still in the same, always accessible.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't feel like wading through the whole thread, but in case this hasn't been screamed yet: "press image" means an image of the actual product, published by the manufacturer.
THAT IS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY EXACTLY WHAT THESE ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
People need to reserve judgment on these phones until you actually have them in hand. I too complained vehemently about the blah looks of the Icon when the first renders/pics hit the web, I even tweeted Microsoft and some individuals at Microsoft about my disappointment. Then...I actually felt compelled to tweet them back, with an apology. Once I saw the phone in person I was pleasantly stunned, I bought the white one instantly! Secondly, the look and feel of "premium" is completely subjective, people have different opinions of these things. I have 'never' thought that the cheap eggshell feel of the Galaxy "felt" premium in my hands, and the looks are just average (the edge steps it up a little). I wouldn't buy a Windows phone that looks and feels like a Galaxy, others would love it. The point is that there is no particular way that a premium phone "should' look and feel (other than reasonable thinness), it's for the owner to decide. That being said, if the Windows logo on the back is made of metal instead of just painted on, it would be a big plus in terms of adding to the elegance. Understated and distinguished is what I like, not a gaudy blinged out look that would be a candidate to be swinging around Flava Flav's neck next to his clock. (like that gold iPhone...Jeezus!) Also, the durability of the polycarbonate is preferable to all metal, "for me". Add a little metal trim here and there without going overboard and you have yourself a nice "premium" phone. (The specs are what really makes it premium anyway.) As far as the poll goes, I didn't answer it...there is a category between "Love it" and "Meh" that is missing, that's the one I would choose.

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I really cant believe my eyes how many butthurt and crying posts about the design are in this thread.
I know that u never can make it right for all ppl, but come on that is too much. Everybody is crying about virtually not important stuff.
Thickness! What do u want? A credit card or a phone? I would really want to smack someone when we talk about lumia 920 and they say its to heavy or about lumia 930 and they say its too thick! For me both of them have majestic designs. I want a little heavier or a little thicker phone so i know i am holding something in my hand. And its deffinitely more ergonomic to hold than a bezelless and ultra light phone? How do u hold it? with your fingernails?
And it really isnt ergonomic to have buttons on the extrem low end of the phone? Do u want to have carpal sindrome when u are 30?

Pls take a minute and think about those things before u jump on the brainless "bezelless" wagon.

P.S. I like the deign VERY VERYYYYYY much!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium: Hands on with the world's first 4K smartphone - Telegraph

reminds me of the leaked pictures of Lumia 950
I guess no one would hate that if it's on a Sony Xperia, no?

I have to disagree. The Z5 looks nothing like the 950. It's following their same design language they've been using since the Z3 came out. It's a flat block phone with rounded corners. Aluminium body and glass front and back. It feels premium and looks it too. The 950 doesn't.

We have really nothing to go on with the 950 other than rendered images. The Z5 is at least real as of yesterday.

Let's wait for the real phones. Going by some sources I've heard it's possible these phones are just 'something' to get out with W10 later this year and are not the 'real' flagships that's been promised. That's apparently early next year with the Intel processors. Whether this is true or not is anyone's guess.

I guess we'll wait and see. :)

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Having finally read this whole thread, I really feel the need to chime in here. First and foremost, of the two phones I think the thick ring on the Talkman really takes away from it, and makes it a letdown, especially since I was counting on that one to be my upgrade path. Cityman, however, is gorgeous, so I'll see if 1) it's a device I can deal with (the Icon is about at my top range, and a 1520 was too large, so we'll see) and 2) if MS is going to make sure I can use this, or Talkman, on Verizon's network. I'd take either for what they are bringing in terms of technology. The bezel thing is an absurd argument too me. The bezels on both of these are about the same or smaller than most current flagships. Any smaller and you'll run into accidental touch issues on the bottom of the display. I'd normally prefer the capacitive buttons, but, as someone who still has a Pre+, Pre 2, and Pixi+ in a drawer, swiping up from the bottom of the screen is natural for me, so I don't mind the virtual buttons too much.

Some of the minor cosmetic arguments others have made are kind of silly, especially since nobody has a phone in hand. I remember when the 822 renders came out and everyone was stating how bad they looked. Then the actual phone came out with video and pictures from all angles and a lot of people, including myself, changed their minds. From renders I thought the 820 was the better looking phone, but, with my now deceased 822 (the boot sector corruption issue) in hand I compared it to an 820 in Walmart and thought the 822 was a much nicer design. The 925 also produced a lot of flack when the renders came out, then a lot of people changed their tune when the actual phones came around. So I think a lot of people here are being premature. I've looked at and held the Samsung S6 and S6 Edge and while they look nice from a distance, they feel somewhat cheap up close, not to mention that hideous thick square border they always have around their cameras. Many of the new designs I'm looking at often look great from a distance but the build quality in hand is usually the big difference. The iPhones feel like a very well crafted device, though the ultra light weight makes the regular 6 feel like a cheap toy, as did the iPhone 5 series. I have a feeling the 950 and 950XL will live up to the Lumia build reputation.

Some of the other comparisons just make me laugh a little, like the render that looks like a cross between the 830 and the Icon/930. The pillowed back is, of course, to hide the thicker Icon/930's body. Having a radius on the corners is generally more comfortable and easier to get in and out of the pocket. At the end of the day, I think a number of people will change their minds on these phones, especially once they have them in hand and can feel the build quality.

I will say that MS should just remove the hideous thick metal ring on the Talkman (Cityman's thin, understated ring is a nice accent). Also, MS should stop being stupid and offer this phone in several more colors, or, at the very least, offer backs of different colors so that we can make it what we want. Yes, you need the black and white ones for businesses, but consumers should have choice and these can't be more than a $1 to make the covers in various colors. Heck, they could throw a couple of extra colors into the box like the did on another Lumia (forget which one it was). The fact that the covers should be easy for third party producers to make, is a good thing, as I think we'll get the colors one way or another. I can't wait to see how these actually look in real life, but, since my VZW Edge subsidy won't finish until March, I may wait to see how the Surface phone looks and what CPU it has before I decide. I just hope I don't end up having to change networks just to get the phone I want. AT&T sucks in a lot of spots, especially my workplace, here in the Tampa Bay area. Verizon is strong everywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)