23 22.12%
  • Fingers cross on another OEM/highend device

16 15.38%
  • Likely won't stay with Windows

21 20.19%
09-23-2015 04:23 AM
136 ... 23456
tools
    I just bought a refurb 1520 off of eBay because I was so disappointed in the new flagships. Paul Thurrott said the cameras in Cityman/Talkman are probably the same modules from Icon/1520 anyways.

I absolutely hate the on-screen navigation buttons in the new phones. I know it sounds petty, but the combination of that plus the boring design makes Cityman/Talkman a no go for me.
    Thanks for that info. I didn't read or hear that from Paul.

If true, that is a disappointment. Let's hope they include some type of camera mods to improve its photography. There has to be some lessons learned or design enhancements to sneak some improvements into the new models.
    09-02-2015 05:14 AM
    I have been a fan (not fanboy, but fan) of Windows Phone since the release of WP7. I have used a Lumia 800 for quite some time, then an Ativ S, then a L1520, L930 and am now back with a L1520 again. To be honest, of all those devices, the Samsung has been the most solid one with no manufacturing issues or other defects.

- On the L800 I experienced screen lift and loose, rattling buttons.
    - On the L1520 (both) there's the sim and microsd trays that don't close all that tight. Also there's issues with the display sensitivity still and a spot forming on the display in exactly the same place as on my first 1520.
    - The L930 had a bucket load of issues ranging from purple display issues to loose/rattling buttons like the L800 and also screen lift.

The thing that kept me on these Nokia devices has been WP8.1. It just fits me best in how I want my smartphone to work. No widgets, no app drawer, swipes to get to most things, convenient ellipses menu right under your thumb for more settings... Simple tiles with all the info I need, quite minimal, the way I like it. Besides that, it has always run buttery smooth, from the L800 on...

Now W10M takes away a bunch of the aesthetics and user interface interaction that feel so right and has chosen to walk a different (in my eyes strange) path. Hamburger menu's in the hardest to reach places on the display, no swipes where you would expect them and a bunch of other things. I know it's work in progress, but it's working towards something that I don't like anymore. A lot of this actually applies to W10 on the Surface Pro 3 as well, where they very effectively managed to kill the best touch interface on the market and replaced it with a half baked Tablet Mode, but that's offtopic.

All in all, I will think twice before buying a new Lumia after experiencing the issues with all my Lumia's in the past. I just don't trust their build quality anymore, whether it be design flaws, poorly sourced displays or bad quality control. And I have severe doubts about W10M as a platform. Just think about the amount of apps that haven't even caught up with UI changes from WP7 to WP8.1 and then look at how much the UI has changed in W10M... it's going to be as inconsistent as Android.

My current dream device would probably be a Galaxy S6 with WP8.1.2... Which makes me a bit sad for Windows Phone :( ;).
    I appreciate and agree with much of your analysis.

I have the L900, L920, L1020 and L930. The only one that had a hardware problem has been the L920. Replaced twice due to "bad mainboard" and "cyan line down the display". The final one is working fine, except for a bad main mic (I only use it as an audiobook and podcast player in the vehicle, so I'm living with it rather than pay to fix it.

As far as W10M, I too think it has gone in a worse direction. However, given W10 on the desktop and MS's W10-on-everything push, I guess that is inevitable. In one respect, I like that my desktop and phone are running the "same" OS.

I love my L1020 on W8.1 with all the Lumia photography apps installed, and will likely not upgrade it (unless the camera and photog apps are addressed).

Will W10M help MS or increase market share, I doubt it. Except that they have to do it, or risk losing even more.
    09-02-2015 05:36 AM
    Sticking with my gorgeous Lumia 830 for a little while after seeing these renders. Might go with an Xperia or S6 Edge after that, as those are the nicest looking devices out there. Might wait to see how the Nokia Androids look as well. If Samsung releases a WM 10 version of the S6 I may consider that.
    Now, an Xperia running W10M would get me a bit more excited.

Sony has done a great job of catering to music playback with the ability to use an external DAC.
    hasasimo and Joe Dubya like this.
    09-02-2015 05:49 AM
    You are well aware no big changes will be made from this point? It's only going to be "spit and polish" which is damn well needed given screens are a complete mismatch, people were using the same story a months from Windows 10 release and still are a month after.
    Exactly!

Work in progress? The expected release date is October. New "flagship" phones are about to be announced running, yes W10M.

I hope Microsoft doesn't consider it a work in progress at this point.
    09-02-2015 05:56 AM
    Microsoft likely monitor this site, hopefully it invokes a strategy session that involves more the sticky notes and darts.
    Thank you.

I also believe that Microsoft certainly monitors this site.

Regardless of how much I wish to see W10M and MS phones succeed, I will continue to voice discontent when I feel it is necessary.

There are missing features that need to be in W10M (I've shared my feedback on Insider).

I am sure that MS would have expected W10M to be performing much better at this point in time, and I hope they are worried and addressing it with every resource they can.

And I hope they have more phone plans/desgins in the works and they will come sooner than these did.
    09-02-2015 06:07 AM
    And you guys decided my "Keep calm.." post was useless and closed it?
    It wasn't really relevant to Windows 10 Mobile in any meaningful way. If you really want to kill some time before the next build, there's lots of threads in the "off topic" section for this purpose. Or simply step away from the keyboard and do something else, there's a big world out there....
    09-02-2015 10:35 AM
    Microsoft likely monitor this site
    Don't count on any official presence noticing one of almost 185,000 threads and these few posts out of over 1.6 million. Microsoft monitors UserVoice and other official Microsoft web presences for their input from consumers. Not 3rd party sites, so far as I know.

And no offense, but this poll is hardly scientific. The possible responses are limited and hampering. The sample population is skewed and any data collection is suspect as many viewers (Guests) are not allowed to participate as respondents.

Attached Thumbnails capture.png  
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-02-2015 10:37 AM
    I have a Lumia 920 and I don't expect to see anything tempting me to change phones in the next 6 months at least. Hopefully by then there are rumors of something decent to move to.
    09-02-2015 11:23 AM
    Acer Jade Primo looks very tempting now...
    09-02-2015 11:24 AM
    As a current 1520 user, I haven't seen the benefit of jumping to a 950/XL. Sure it's going to load apps faster and take better pictures. But the 1520 already takes excellent pictures, plus apps load plenty fast. Heck, it even has 4k video recording. Windows Hello and Continuum aren't game changers (yet). And I don't feel like they will have any significant benefit in my day-to-day use. I don't play mobile games so that's a non-issue. And for the most part, the 950 is going to run the same version of Windows 10 as the 1520. Even though the 1520 is from 2013, I can't justify replacing it. I want a phone with increased capabilities instead of one that is just merely faster.

The Snapdragon 800 is old, I understand that. Yet I feel like it was a turning point for processors. The point were hardware started to outpace software. My phone is old but it's not bad. The 1520 is still really good. In fact, pretty much any 2013 flagship still holds up.
    09-02-2015 12:03 PM
    As a current 1520 user, I haven't seen the benefit of jumping to a 950/XL. Sure it's going to load apps faster and take better pictures. But the 1520 already takes excellent pictures, plus apps load plenty fast. Heck, it even has 4k video recording. Windows Hello and Continuum aren't game changers (yet). And I don't feel like they will have any significant benefit in my day-to-day use. I don't play mobile games so that's a non-issue. And for the most part, the 950 is going to run the same version of Windows 10 as the 1520. Even though the 1520 is from 2013, I can't justify replacing it. I want a phone with increased capabilities instead of one that is just merely faster.

The Snapdragon 800 is old, I understand that. Yet I feel like it was a turning point for processors. The point were hardware started to outpace software. My phone is old but it's not bad. The 1520 is still really good. In fact, pretty much any 2013 flagship still holds up.
    Old? Maybe outdated, but certainly not old. Does your 1520 work as quick today as when you first got it? If so, why upgrade for a device that may only be fractions of a second quicker? Now, if the 950 series supports Continuum, then that's a different story but only if you really plan to use the feature.
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-02-2015 02:34 PM
    I have been very happy with WP. I have all the productivity apps I need and enough entertainment apps to keep me busy waiting in line for anything. I am getting sick of my 1520, loved my 920 and wished ATT would have got the 930. I am eagerly awaiting the 950 & XL. This Jan I had to get my wife a damn iPhone 6 since the only new WP's were the 830 and M8, the specs sucked on the 830 and I didn't trust HTC at the time. Well I'm selling her phone and she will be getting a 950 and I'm probably going XL, teenage daughter will get the 1520 unless she can buy the iPhone from me
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:58 PM
    It wasn't really relevant to Windows 10 Mobile in any meaningful way. If you really want to kill some time before the next build, there's lots of threads in the "off topic" section for this purpose. Or simply step away from the keyboard and do something else, there's a big world out there....
    Thanks for the feedback, Mr. Moderator.

I guess humor is not your thing.

Just wondering, what is it with all the moderator high-fiving of each other. Not the standard procedure I have seen on most reputable sites.

Keep calm, and enjoy the next build (whenever it does arrive!)

edit: as a Moderator, if you felt my post was in the wrong section, i.e. should have been in off-topic / humor / nobody-cares, then I guess moving it there would have been the proper thing to do, thanks for your efforts, it seems to be a tough job for some
    LoganSmith5 and tangledW like this.
    09-02-2015 07:46 PM
    Don't count on any official presence noticing one of almost 185,000 threads and these few posts out of over 1.6 million. Microsoft monitors UserVoice and other official Microsoft web presences for their input from consumers. Not 3rd party sites, so far as I know.

And no offense, but this poll is hardly scientific. The possible responses are limited and hampering. The sample population is skewed and any data collection is suspect as many viewers (Guests) are not allowed to participate as respondents.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/att...d=111502&stc=1

I would give them a lot more credit than that.

Those are small numbers for the Bing search engine and Cortana (and Microsoft's other tools) to crunch through and find trends, commonalities, and topics they might want to research on its customers.
    09-02-2015 08:08 PM
    Now, an Xperia running W10M would get me a bit more excited.

Sony has done a great job of catering to music playback with the ability to use an external DAC.
    Couldn't agree more. With Nokia now out of the picture at Microsoft, my dream Windows Phone would come from Sony.
    sleeve22 and Joe Dubya like this.
    09-02-2015 10:32 PM
    Just a bit offtopic, but has anyone noticed that the spacing between tiles in the 950 renders is the same as in/more similar WP8.1? In all preview builds the tiles are much closer together, which is one of the aesthetic choices I dislike in W10M.
    09-03-2015 04:04 AM
    Just a bit offtopic, but has anyone noticed that the spacing between tiles in the 950 renders is the same as in/more similar WP8.1? In all preview builds the tiles are much closer together, which is one of the aesthetic choices I dislike in W10M.
    Those pics are old when we didn't that the new start screen(with less space between tiles) and Cmon look at the year we are on, we cant stay with the old metroish design.. Windows 10 needs modern UI and than keeping the old UI..
    09-03-2015 04:17 AM
    That's your opinion, mine is along the lines of 'why mess up a good thing'... But that's further offtopic ;)
    09-03-2015 05:33 AM
    I am actually really considering getting the Lumina 950 Xl..... I love its design. I am also wanting to try out windows hello.

On the flip side, I have always wanted a Lumina 930 as well but the screen is too small so idk <3

I am certainly not ridiculous enough to leave the platform because of a design though lol
    Spangl01 and libra89 like this.
    09-03-2015 06:31 AM
    I am certainly not ridiculous enough to leave the platform because of a design though lol
    But you're not normal.

I'm like the naysayers. Its not what's on the screen that matters, its the box the screen is in that you never see if you use a case. Like last weekend, I could have picked up an original Picasso dirt cheap at an estate sale but I hated the frame so passed on it.

Fortunately for me I like the looks of the leaked 950XL pics so won't mind if they turn out to be real.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-03-2015 07:24 AM
    The 930 is a great looking phone, but I do think I'm going to go ahead and get the 950 XL. The 930 did look a bit more high end in design, but the 950 doesn't look as bad as everyone is making it out to be, to me. More importantly, the specs appear top notch.
    09-03-2015 07:28 AM
    I will keep on using my 1020 on WP 8.1 as long as I can.. I like nothing about W10M.. The other lumia would be exchanged for any 5 - 5.2 inches Android, though I am hoping it to be a Nokia.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    09-03-2015 08:11 AM
    Currently I'm using 1520 with W10 and loving it. I'm going to wait and see what the 950 XL really looks like when it is finally released. I'm not going to decide on leaked specs and pix. I'm hoping the 950 XL has a 6" screen size.
    09-03-2015 08:11 AM
    Currently on a 1020. I plan to get the 950XL. I miss some things from 8.1, but overall I'm liking W10.
    The only thing that might interrupt that plan would be a leak of a 1020 replacement coming soon with a kick *** camera.
    Last edited by pallentx; 09-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    09-03-2015 09:46 AM
    The new Z5 from Sony looks nice.

I really wanted to like the 950xl. I tempted to wait until the surface phones in January... It really depends on how long my 920 lasts.
    09-03-2015 10:17 AM
136 ... 23456