What are your plans given leaked flagship images?

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems weird to have a survey that excludes the majority of current Windows Phone users from voting.

For example: I have a 1520.3 and will replace it with 950XL. My wife has a 640 and will replace it. My father's wife has a 521 and will replace it.

Does this not fall under 'Haven't previously purchased a Lumia flagship but plan to purchase.' ?

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You are well aware that Windows 10 for mobile is still a work in progress?

You are well aware no big changes will be made from this point? It's only going to be "spit and polish" which is damn well needed given screens are a complete mismatch, people were using the same story a months from Windows 10 release and still are a month after.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The tiles are already putting people off

Live tiles will be the next thing to go, 6-12 months "We've found that people prefer looking at a grid of icons (well we think given no increase in market share)." And the dismantling of Windows Phone will be complete.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Does this not fall under 'Haven't previously purchased a Lumia flagship but plan to purchase.' ?
No. I consider my 1520.3 a Flagship. My wife previously purchased a flagship but replaced it with the 640 because said flagship didn't have an SD slot. My Father's wife with the 521 is spoiled and will let her husband purchase it. ;) So that option doesn't apply to any of us. :winktongue:

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using my 920 and so I'll have to wait and see...I really hope that the speaker isn't on the back...I can live with it on the bottom but I'm not buying a phone with the speaker on the back...I know not a big deal for many, but I'm always listening to podcasts as my phone is sitting on the wireless charger...i guess we'll see soon enough.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Flagship is denoting the top of the line phone at launch of the OS used to show off it's abilities in full, the 920 for WP8 the 930 (essentially a rebranded Icon) for WP8.1.

1520 yeah many consider it a flagship it's clearly not in this scenario, if it's going to be replaced by a 950 then check the option
640 is definitely not a flagship, if it's going to be replaced by a 950 then check the option. If it's the phone in daily use then it IS the phone being replaced.
521 is definitely not a flagship, if it's going to be replaced by a 950 then check the option. The circumstances of the purchase aren't being asked.

The alternative seems to be grabbing a Kleenex and not voting.

qbrick

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Currently, the poll is indicating, close to 60% of the voters either do not plan buying a new flagship device or leaving Windows Phone altogether (23%) - and this with the audience here leaning towards Windows.
Not good.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Currently, the poll is indicating, close to 60% of the voters either do not plan buying a new flagship device or leaving Windows Phone altogether (23%) - and this with the audience here leaning towards Windows.
Not good.
Some people like me couldn't vote though, so this poll should be taken with a grain of salt. I plan to stay with Windows, but I have no interest in buying a flagship. However, the next midrange, sure.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
My plan is to stick with my iPhone. Not coming back to WP unless it's a Lumia, made that mistake already with the HTC M8, but I'm not paying $700+ for a plastic phone.

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I kept telling myself that when the W10 phones arrived I'd hand my iPhone 6 to my wife and jump on that. But Wp10 is underwhelming and the Win 10 is maybe beta+ at this stage. I miss Cortana and live tiles but I don't miss piecemeal apps with 3rd parties or subpar official. I'd be tougher if MS didn't do such a good job on their iOS apps. The 1520 was great, but the size becomes tiresome day to day and the screen became sporadic. Probably from being in my pocket and warping. I'll check the new phones out in person. Maybe they'll seem better.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Currently run a Lumia 930 and do not plan to "upgrade". The Snapdragon 810 is going to throttle as fast, such that i finally will end up with less performance. I also dislike the cheap design, i mean really? What are they thinking?

On top of this, it seems likely that Microsoft delivers the same crap with Windows mobile 10 as with Windows 10. Had to go back to Windows 8.1 to make my Surface Pro 3 usable again in tablet mode...

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
My plan is to stick with my iPhone. Not coming back to WP unless it's a Lumia, made that mistake already with the HTC M8, but I'm not paying $700+ for a plastic phone.

Just my 2 cents, but that "plastic" is extremely durable. My 822 was the toughest smartphone I've ever had, and while my 830 with its metal frame is quite sturdy, the 822 was tougher. Metal Samsung's might as well be made of tin foil and iPhones out of the case break pretty easily as well... that's why you rarely as one without a case, well that and because it's so over priced that no one wants to have to buy it twice.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a refurb 1520 off of eBay because I was so disappointed in the new flagships. Paul Thurrott said the cameras in Cityman/Talkman are probably the same modules from Icon/1520 anyways.

I absolutely hate the on-screen navigation buttons in the new phones. I know it sounds petty, but the combination of that plus the boring design makes Cityman/Talkman a no go for me.

Thanks for that info. I didn't read or hear that from Paul.

If true, that is a disappointment. Let's hope they include some type of camera mods to improve its photography. There has to be some lessons learned or design enhancements to sneak some improvements into the new models.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been a fan (not ******, but fan) of Windows Phone since the release of WP7. I have used a Lumia 800 for quite some time, then an Ativ S, then a L1520, L930 and am now back with a L1520 again. To be honest, of all those devices, the Samsung has been the most solid one with no manufacturing issues or other defects.

- On the L800 I experienced screen lift and loose, rattling buttons.
- On the L1520 (both) there's the sim and microsd trays that don't close all that tight. Also there's issues with the display sensitivity still and a spot forming on the display in exactly the same place as on my first 1520.
- The L930 had a bucket load of issues ranging from purple display issues to loose/rattling buttons like the L800 and also screen lift.

The thing that kept me on these Nokia devices has been WP8.1. It just fits me best in how I want my smartphone to work. No widgets, no app drawer, swipes to get to most things, convenient ellipses menu right under your thumb for more settings... Simple tiles with all the info I need, quite minimal, the way I like it. Besides that, it has always run buttery smooth, from the L800 on...

Now W10M takes away a bunch of the aesthetics and user interface interaction that feel so right and has chosen to walk a different (in my eyes strange) path. Hamburger menu's in the hardest to reach places on the display, no swipes where you would expect them and a bunch of other things. I know it's work in progress, but it's working towards something that I don't like anymore. A lot of this actually applies to W10 on the Surface Pro 3 as well, where they very effectively managed to kill the best touch interface on the market and replaced it with a half baked Tablet Mode, but that's offtopic.

All in all, I will think twice before buying a new Lumia after experiencing the issues with all my Lumia's in the past. I just don't trust their build quality anymore, whether it be design flaws, poorly sourced displays or bad quality control. And I have severe doubts about W10M as a platform. Just think about the amount of apps that haven't even caught up with UI changes from WP7 to WP8.1 and then look at how much the UI has changed in W10M... it's going to be as inconsistent as Android.

My current dream device would probably be a Galaxy S6 with WP8.1.2... Which makes me a bit sad for Windows Phone :( ;).

I appreciate and agree with much of your analysis.

I have the L900, L920, L1020 and L930. The only one that had a hardware problem has been the L920. Replaced twice due to "bad mainboard" and "cyan line down the display". The final one is working fine, except for a bad main mic (I only use it as an audiobook and podcast player in the vehicle, so I'm living with it rather than pay to fix it.

As far as W10M, I too think it has gone in a worse direction. However, given W10 on the desktop and MS's W10-on-everything push, I guess that is inevitable. In one respect, I like that my desktop and phone are running the "same" OS.

I love my L1020 on W8.1 with all the Lumia photography apps installed, and will likely not upgrade it (unless the camera and photog apps are addressed).

Will W10M help MS or increase market share, I doubt it. Except that they have to do it, or risk losing even more.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Sticking with my gorgeous Lumia 830 for a little while after seeing these renders. Might go with an Xperia or S6 Edge after that, as those are the nicest looking devices out there. Might wait to see how the Nokia Androids look as well. If Samsung releases a WM 10 version of the S6 I may consider that.

Now, an Xperia running W10M would get me a bit more excited.

Sony has done a great job of catering to music playback with the ability to use an external DAC.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You are well aware no big changes will be made from this point? It's only going to be "spit and polish" which is damn well needed given screens are a complete mismatch, people were using the same story a months from Windows 10 release and still are a month after.

Exactly!

Work in progress? The expected release date is October. New "flagship" phones are about to be announced running, yes W10M.

I hope Microsoft doesn't consider it a work in progress at this point.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft likely monitor this site, hopefully it invokes a strategy session that involves more the sticky notes and darts.

Thank you.

I also believe that Microsoft certainly monitors this site.

Regardless of how much I wish to see W10M and MS phones succeed, I will continue to voice discontent when I feel it is necessary.

There are missing features that need to be in W10M (I've shared my feedback on Insider).

I am sure that MS would have expected W10M to be performing much better at this point in time, and I hope they are worried and addressing it with every resource they can.

And I hope they have more phone plans/desgins in the works and they will come sooner than these did.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett