What are your plans given leaked flagship images?

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Personally when I have the opportunity I'll be more than eager to jump to Android but lean towards Microsoft services as I'm personally not a fan of Google services. I love the build quality of the Lumias but there hasn't been any innovation besides Cortana in the past 2 years since the days of the Nokia Lumia 1520 and the Nokia Lumia 930.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Spent a couple of days summing up and I'm going to jump ship too. I want a flagship for my next device (top camera & premium design) and willing to pay a top price for it but not for this 2013 design. I don't know what's happening at Microsoft's hardware division (Nokia) but phones are not their priority, unlike Samsung and Apple. The designers of those two lose sleep at night understanding the importance of marketing a premium desirable device.

The whole point of Microsoft having a hiatus last year with no flagship was to launch a flagship device with Windows 10 for mobile. To make waves. This won't make a splash. The problem with aiming to be the "third eco system" is that we are 3rd in line for app developers, 90% use iPhones/Galaxys as their main device. Most staff at Microsoft still use iPhones. The company is too focused on cloud services to care about hardware. The Windows platform will always be in the shadow until either killer hardware launches or they can some how grow their low end models, which may attract more developers. This has been going on for years. Still no Clash of Clans, Game of War or Snapchat!

But Hardware is not a priority for Microsoft, it never was. Software (services) is and always will be, which is why when I move with regret to another platform I will still have access to the amazing OneDrive, OneNote and Cortana. I still enjoy Windows Phone and may come back if they ever release a Surface Phone. But until then I'll reward the companies with better designers. Just one look at the S6 Edge+ Titanium is all it takes to understand what premium hardware is about.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
...if they ever release a Surface Phone.

^ ^ ^ This! I'm not in a rush to upgrade; my 1020 is still chugging along and I'm not all that interested in buying an "iteration" phone. I have a feeling they'll have something to either release after MWC next year or with the SP5 - is that a looooooooong time to wait? Well, judging by the number of 'ohs' I put in long, I believe so lol With that said, in the meantime, my 1020 works, it will suffice, there's no problems with it and I'm good until they can release a product that satisfies a new need. Android satisfies squat for me; Google took a camera OS and shoe-horned it into a phone and has been trying to fix it since Day One and I don't need a security nightmare built-in to my phone; iOS? Um, yeah, that would be a big fat "no". If Palm hadn't been squandered off to HP I'd probably still be on my Palm Pre or a newer variant thereof. If my 1020 breaks, there's always a replacement 1020 or possibly 1520 from Ebay/etc. I'm in no hurry to give the carriers an extra $25-$45/mo until something is released that makes it worth the entry fee...and even then...who knows... lol

WPLee - I understand where you're coming from and hope you find the phone your looking for...(that's very Stormtrooper-esque lol)

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
For the first time in ten years I'm actually toying with the idea of giving Android a try.. It's not because I dislike the renders pictures but a whole combination of things. To me having a Windows phone means I'm behind. In many ways its true, in many it's not the long wait to upgrade a device without having to downgrade. I'm a Lumia fan as I own and run a L925 WP10 .my main driver is an HTC m8 for windows. It's nice but the camera is god-awful. Of the two new devices the XL is the one that I would like to have. But again as in the past the WP that I really want is EXCLUSIVE! we are not 100%sure of that but all indications point that the XL will be exclusive .you may ask switch carrier, however with 6 phone family plan its out of the question. So for me for the first time leaning to another OS may be an option. But like everyone else until we see the real thing officially everything is on hold.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
^ ^ ^ This! I'm not in a rush to upgrade; my 1020 is still chugging along and I'm not all that interested in buying an "iteration" phone. I have a feeling they'll have something to either release after MWC next year or with the SP5 - is that a looooooooong time to wait?

Yep, I think your prediction of 2016 for a Surface Phone is spot on, which is another 13 months away!! But it would make sense with Microsoft going up against an all new 2016 iPhone design. I don't know why Microsoft haven't tried to build upon the Surface's success and popularity sooner.

Its too long a wait for me though, I need a better camera and still miss certain apps. I've been on a Lumia 630 (512 RAM) for the last year after I accidently dropped and broke my Nexus. I've enjoyed the platform a lot (and got both my parents to switch to cheaper Lumias to save) but I'm ready for a premium device now and these leaks wont cut it.

Your 1020 still has a great camera (if maybe a bit slow) so I can understand you hanging on for longer, but I'm already at the cross road. I can't go straight on, so its either left to iOS (yawn) or right to S6 Edge+ for me. There have also been recent leaks of a Huawei Nexus with decent camera module so may be worth waiting a few weeks to see how that pans out. I've enjoyed my Lumia, who knows maybe one day I'll return...

ohlumia

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has pretty much used up their chances. The only way I would consider the 950XL is if it was sub 350$.
Anything over that, it makes no sense to get a windows phone device when considering Android and ios options at that price range...
Someone should put some sense into the internet, I seriously don't see these devices as flagships given the release window and the specs we're looking at. These are mid range devices at best, they carry no flagship differentiating factor.
Flagships should have innovation, these phones have nothing useful we haven't seen before a long time ago.
Last, Lumia hardware has been absolute garbage for me except the ultra low end. I spent 700$ on a 1520, it lasted barely over a year before the battery died and I had to replace it myself. The battery on the 1520 started lasting shorter than the battery on my old iphone 3gs... my 920 had screen gap issues, dust gets into the front and back lens, bad battery issues after a year as well...
Lots of things here that just don't look very good...I'm seriously considering iphones at this point, the price being the only thing that gives me cold sweats... but even older model iphones look more solid than these phones if I look at overall package.

Cheers,

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Im honestly curious to know which sub $350 dollar android phones will be launching with an iris scanner,,will be able to connect to a monitor and mouse and be used as a PC,,has a 20 megapixel camera with Zeiss optics?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Im honestly curious to know which sub $350 dollar android phones will be launching with an iris scanner,,will be able to connect to a monitor and mouse and be used as a PC,,has a 20 megapixel camera with Zeiss optics?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

camera? s6,s6edge have great cameras. continuum..not something so wow, iris scanner? not needing it. this looks like more as having a super car with no where to drive it. as long as the os is still crap, as close as it is to release date, apps are a mess...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Since when is an S6 or an S6 Edge sub-$350? Dakken's point was that you can't get a phone with a 20MP camera (and all of the other features of the 950) for less than $350. Given that the phones you list as examples cost roughly double that, it appears you missed the entire point of his post.

You also seem to have lost your shift key. Perhaps your capitalization would improve if you replaced that iPad with a nice Surface Pro 3 or 4. ;)

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know that the S6 edge was $350.00 dam I would buy one at that price.I think that we tend to forget that it's a phone. With capabilities.

morozshawn

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I moved from Google to Microsoft and bought a Lumia 1320 almost a month ago, and I am extremely happy.
I am planning on buying the Lumia 950 XL.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Since when is an S6 or an S6 Edge sub-$350? Dakken's point was that you can't get a phone with a 20MP camera (and all of the other features of the 950) for less than $350. Given that the phones you list as examples cost roughly double that, it appears you missed the entire point of his post.

You also seem to have lost your shift key. Perhaps your capitalization would improve if you replaced that iPad with a nice Surface Pro 3 or 4. ;)

Well I will buy a surface pro 3 soon to replace my old notebook, but not to use it as a tablet. Tablet experience on windows 10 is terrible.

Santos lil elpair

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I disagree my SP3 is awesome as a laptop and a tablet. We have iPad air 2 and have had kindle fires, like the full software versions and used my SP3 at a conference and on airplane mode went 9 hours and didn't crack 40% battery life each day with taking notes in OneNote..

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
camera? s6,s6edge have great cameras. continuum..not something so wow, iris scanner? not needing it. this looks like more as having a super car with no where to drive it. as long as the os is still crap, as close as it is to release date, apps are a mess...

having an s6 edge, yes the phone looks nice but most of it does not hold up in the real world, there is always a glare on the screen not matter how you hold it and is very annoying. its slow as **** without rooting it. and the camera is fast but no better quality than my icon. Having a unique design is good on paper but in reality actually kinda sucks. I am one of the few it seems that actually likes the 950 and it will be a very nice device.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

and to buy an s6 edge unlocked in Canada is around $1000.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
and to buy an s6 edge unlocked in Canada is around $1000.

Don't you guys have local news papers with people selling things? do you only buy phones from a retail store?? In Europe you can get a new, sealed phone from the news paper with almost 200 EUR less than in a store. jeeeess

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077