09-15-2015 09:54 AM
83 1234
tools
    All I am going to say is, Microsoft still has not show the phone, everything is just leaks and concept render, not a real picture of the phone, the renders are done badly, Microsoft does not do bad renders
    You got a point there we only get to see a few angles but the person who leaked it also leaked this: https://mobile.twitter.com/evleaks/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Geo Hutchings and aXross like this.
    09-01-2015 05:29 AM
    What does it matter we are gonna put a case on it anyway! As long as the screen is awesome and the camera is great who cares about the back of the darn thing! Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A correction here. While I do use a case, I am specifically using a clear case so looks do still matter here! Materials though, not so much.
    09-01-2015 06:14 AM
    Here's a render of the surface phone.

Attachment 111406
    I don't know. I don't find that render all that compelling. It sort of looks like an LG G4 -- my wife has one and I find it very pedestrian. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I happen to like the design of the Lumia 640XL and it made me decided to get a 950XL when it comes out. That they'll look similar doesn't bother me. Of course, I hope the 950XL comes in orange too!
    hagjohn and libra89 like this.
    09-01-2015 07:09 AM
    Here's my theory. At this point, most of it is renderings or prototype, that ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Who cares at this point ?

When it's on the shelf, available to buy, or we see OFFICAL pictures released from Microsoft that will be the RTM or release to stores model, Then we can complain.

Right now, it could totally change, so I am like, what ever at this point.
    09-01-2015 09:00 AM
    What does it matter we are gonna put a case on it anyway! As long as the screen is awesome and the camera is great who cares about the back of the darn thing! Just my thoughts
    Except that the variety and availability of cases for Windows phones is usually pretty limited... It's near impossible to even find WP cases in stores and Otterbox hasn't even been bothering with WPs lately (at least I know they didn't make one for the 830). So for a lot of WP users, cases just aren't an option because there isn't much to choose from.
    aXross likes this.
    09-01-2015 09:07 AM
    Here's a render of the surface phone.

Attachment 111406
    Yeah, this would cost a gazillion dollars.

I understand the problem with the suspected 950 design, but if it helps keep costs down to make it more palatable for people on the fence about switching to W10M, then it is probably worth it. iAndroid users aren't going to bother if the specs are subpar, to perhaps there's some cost cutting in hardware design.
    09-01-2015 09:45 AM
    Seems high end stuff is getting very competitive.

I like the colour scheme of this phone. Though not a fan of the shape. I'd like Cityman to come in these colours.
    • $349
    • 5.2-inch 1080p display,
    • a Snapdragon 808 SoC
    • 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage
    • 2680mah battery.
    • USB Type-C port supports USB 3.0 speeds.
    • fingerprint reader on the device,integrated into the side-mounted power button.
    • dual front-facing speakers
    • NFC
    • 13MP camera

robin-mint-3000x3000.jpg
    09-01-2015 09:45 AM
    My Theory , MS want to quit making phone, so they make it super boring and ugly.
    nohra likes this.
    09-01-2015 10:15 AM
    Seems high end stuff is getting very competitive.

I like the colour scheme of this phone. Though not a fan of the shape. I'd like Cityman to come in these colours.
    • $349
    • 5.2-inch 1080p display,
    • a Snapdragon 808 SoC
    • 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage
    • 2680mah battery.
    • USB Type-C port supports USB 3.0 speeds.
    • fingerprint reader on the device,integrated into the side-mounted power button.
    • dual front-facing speakers
    • NFC
    • 13MP camera

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robin-Mint-3000x3000.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	111452
    Hideous.
    09-01-2015 10:34 AM
    Microsoft didn't make the designs, Nokia did. Please you guys need to stop this hate on Microsoft. Whether Microsoft bought Nokia or not, these were the flagships we were going to get.
    Exactly! MS can't win with some of us... really. I love Nokia designs personally, but they are clearly not saving WP. When your at 3% market share you have to do survey you can to move up. Period. We shouldn't be complaining...seriously.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-01-2015 11:18 AM
    Find it hard to believe these bland bricks are Nokia designed. With their previous WP ranges their flagships have always been distinctive from the lower range models, ie the 920 was different from all lower models, the 1020 & 925 different again, the 1520 & 1320 launched together but were different, and the Icon/930/830 were different again to the lower end models. Microsoft takes over and suddenly the new flagship devices are perfect clones of the low end 640 and 640XL in their design and differ only in the camera humps at the back. Reeks of Microsoft's conservatism rather than the energy Nokia brought to WP for years.
    No matter how hard it is for you to believe,,its still true. These are NOKIA Designed phones.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    libra89 likes this.
    09-01-2015 11:33 AM
    No matter how hard it is for you to believe,,its still true. These are NOKIA Designed phones.

And you can claim this till the cows come home, these reek of Microsoft and not Nokia.
    09-01-2015 11:37 AM

Proof? Link, or it didn't happen
    09-01-2015 11:37 AM
    Really?! Windows Central very own Daniel Rubino said that these are Nokia designed. @Dakken took a screenshot of his (Daniel's) comment saying that.
    09-01-2015 11:57 AM
    Rubino says- these are from the NOKIA portfolio not Microsoft,,,,theres your proof now ger over it. These ARE NOKIA DESIGNS.

Attached Thumbnails 73989.jpg  
    libra89 likes this.
    09-01-2015 11:58 AM
    Proof is in the history of what Nokia brought out with their flagships. There was a direction in design they wanted to go with. And that direction has always led to Nokia inspiring other companies

nokia-lumia-ipod.jpg

poly.jpg

You mean to tell me Nokia would stop following their own trends, and stop innovating and evolving from their previous flagships? That's not a Nokia flagship. There's more history that shows this could've definitely been a scrapped mid-range design. A Nokia flagship? Definitely not. Look at these designs here and tell me what you see. Below you have the Nokia Lumia 620,630, and 640/640 XL. The design language is distinct between Nokia's low to mid range models and Nokia's flagship models. There's no doubt about that.

nokia-lumia-620-2.jpg

nokia-lumia-630-hero-jpg.jpg

mwc-1-2.jpg

So to tell me that this 950/950 XL looks like a flagship, or anything Nokia would have put out as a flagship just isn't right. The specs are there, and maybe that's all that matters to some of you. But I don't believe Nokia would simply ditch the design elements they used in all of their previous flagships that are still trends in the designs of other companies flagships. This very much feels like Microsoft is simply re-using a old mid-range design (similar to the 1320, again same design elements as the other low end to mid range Lumias) that was scrapped or set aside and using it for these new 950 devices.
    RJ Priest, Kram Sacul and aXross like this.
    09-01-2015 12:07 PM
    Proof is in the history of what Nokia brought out with their flagships. There was a direction in design they wanted to go with. And that direction has always led to Nokia inspiring other companies

Name:	Nokia-Lumia-iPod.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	111457

Name:	poly.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	111458

You mean to tell me Nokia would stop following their own trends, and stop innovating and evolving from their previous flagships? That's not a Nokia flagship. There's more history that shows this could've definitely been a scrapped mid-range design. A Nokia flagship? Definitely not. Look at these designs here and tell me what you see. Below you have the Nokia Lumia 620,630, and 640/640 XL. The design language is distinct between Nokia's low to mid range models and Nokia's flagship models. There's no doubt about that.

Name:	nokia-lumia-620-2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	111460

Name:	Nokia-Lumia-630-hero-jpg.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	111461

Name:	MWC-1-2.jpg 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	111462

So to tell me that this 950/950 XL looks like a flagship, or anything Nokia would have put out as a flagship just isn't right. The specs are there, and maybe that's all that matters to some of you. But I don't believe Nokia would simply ditch the design elements they used in all of their previous flagships that are still trends in the designs of other companies flagships. This very much feels like Microsoft is simply re-using a old mid-range design (similar to the 1320, again same design elements as the other low end to mid range Lumias) that was scrapped or set aside and using it for these new 950 devices.
    All that still doesn't change the FACT that these are Nokia designed phones,,,so it doesn't matter what you BELIEVE or how you FEEL. And nobody but the people at Nokia knows what they were thinking when they came up with these designs.

libra89 and Eisenhorn76 like this.
    09-01-2015 12:17 PM
    All that still doesn't change the FACT that these are Nokia designed phones,,,so it doesn't matter what you BELIEVE or how you FEEL.

Rubino in your post stated these WERE in Nokia's portfolio. What that clearly means is that Nokia never put this phone out themselves. It just sat in their catalog of designs. And tossing in the fact the last mid-range phones Nokia put out were the 830, 1320, and 630 I'm gonna go ahead and say they weren't gonna be used by Nokia. Again. If you would listen and read my post you'd see Nokia had a clear design distinction between their flagships and low to mid range models. So okay, they WERE Nokia designs. But they clearly weren't used by Nokia. Which speaks more to how lazy Microsoft is being here. Using unused mid range Nokia designs.
    09-01-2015 12:24 PM
    Rubino in your post stated these WERE in Nokia's portfolio. What that clearly means is that Nokia never put this phone out themselves. It just sat in their catalog of designs. And tossing in the fact the last mid-range phones Nokia put out were the 830, 1320, and 630 I'm gonna go ahead and say they weren't gonna be used by Nokia. Again. If you would listen and read my post you'd see Nokia had a clear design distinction between their flagships and low to mid range models. So okay, they WERE Nokia designs. But they clearly weren't used by Nokia. Which speaks more to how lazy Microsoft is being here. Using unused mid range Nokia designs.
    And WHERE if ANYWHERE does it say that these are midrange designs? And Rubino also says that these are NOT Microsoft designs. Your just making assumptions based on what you feel a flagship should look like. Do you work for Nokia and have inside knowledge of what designs were classified as budget,midrange and flagship if thats indeed if thats how they even do it. Do you know first-hand that Nokia created these Designs and then never used them, and MS just slapped a badge on old Nokia "MIDRANGE' designs? No.

Eisenhorn76 and Vishca like this.
    09-01-2015 12:37 PM
    I've been followink Nokia for 7 years now and i know as a fact that flagships have an 18 month time range from conception till launch. So these definetely started life before the aquisition, but i also see that MS did have some imput in the final product and not the good kind. Following all the news about closed factories vand thousands of people fired, including people from the main Finland HQ, and also seeing these leaks i can only come up with one conclusion. MS is trying to cut costs on the manufacturing side. This mean they won't risk anymore extravagant design features that need expensive production techniques and facilities. They removed the 2.5d curved glass, they are removing the color options( Rubino said the blue is only for the Cityman prototype and we won't see it in stores).

I think Ms simply wants to milk what they already got from Nokia with minimal further investments in new tech. Basically do as much as posible with as little money and resources as possible cause they know trhat so far making phones in the wp ecosystem hasn't been a lucrative business for anyone.

I also think that if Nokia would have still been involved and in control they would have delivered something special again. Remember that before the aquisition Nokia was developing Pelican senors for their next flagship, they were developing high fidelity 3d maps with Here using the lydar, there were rumours they were developing a fitness oriented wearable and something related to VR. And judging from the 920 launch when they had a lot of stuff to compliment the phone, i thing this would have been the case now too. Fast forward to the present and Nokia proper released an awsome VR camera, they hired engineers to work on a wearable that combines fitness tracking with next gen location services. The camera r&d stuff was left in the Technologies division, cause that's were it was being developed along with next gen graphine applications.

Ms is left instead with a basic phone, that only features the stuff they've been working on, like Continuum an d stuff Nokia already developed and put in their flagships. Imagine this phone with curved glass, some clever back design, truly next generation camera, a whole array of accesories, a cool wearable,,improved mapping and some cool phone feature that takes advantage of that, some VR features(nobody does VR for windowsphone, but everyone does for android, so something like this would have been welcomed and necessary to keep up with the competition) plus Continuum from MS with the universal apps and w10 tie in. It would have been imense.

Oh and i disagree about the thikness arguments, cause HTC and LG both have 9.8 mm flagships. But they can definetely do better. I have one fear though, that they are crippling their own flagships to apease the other oems in hoping they will bring theire A game to windows. But i don't think it will work. Anyways this whole transition was a failure until now, it was all one dissapointment after the other
    RJ Priest, theefman and aXross like this.
    09-01-2015 12:50 PM
    And WHERE if ANYWHERE does it say that these are midrange designs? And Rubino also says that these are NOT Microsoft designs. Your just making assumptions about based on what you feel a flagship should look like.

You continue to be ignorant here. So I don't understand why you are posting in threads about design when you clearly don't understand it. I've posted photos, I'm aware of Nokia's history. Look at the low to mid range phones Nokia pushed out right before Microsoft took over. Then go ahead and look at the 950. Now once more, look at history of Nokia Lumia flagships. You mean to tell me the 950 looks like it belongs with the previous Lumia flagships? No, it looks more like the low-mid range phones I have shown up above. Use your eyes. Also, a portfolio, as a designer, consists of used and unused designs. past or future.

Low to mid range Lumia's :

d25fa49ba45681eb009ed93a33722948.jpg

lumia-635-cyan-frontback-png.png

640-feat.png

nokia-lumia-1320-group.jpg

And the 950
    lumia-cityman-950xl-leak-720x480.jpg

Now I can continue to post photos of the Nokia flagships that has been released, but if you aren't willing to understand the differences here whats the point? Again, I'll state it. Nokia flagships had a distinct design compared to Nokia's Lumia low to mid range devices. This, looks like a unused low to mid range design from Nokia. Not a flagship as Microsoft has used it.
    09-01-2015 12:54 PM
    You continue to be ignorant here. So I don't understand why you are posting in threads about design when you clearly don't understand it. I've posted photos, I'm aware of Nokia's history. Look at the low to mid range phones Nokia pushed out right before Microsoft took over. Then go ahead and look at the 950. Now once more, look at history of Nokia Lumia flagships. You mean to tell me the 950 looks like it belongs with the previous Lumia flagships? No, it looks more like the low-mid range phones I have shown up above. Use your eyes. Also, a portfolio, as a designer, consists of used and unused designs. past or future.

Low to mid range Lumia's :

Name:	d25fa49ba45681eb009ed93a33722948.jpg 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	111464

Name:	Lumia-635-Cyan-FrontBack-png.png 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	111465

Name:	640-Feat.png 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	111466

Name:	Nokia-Lumia-1320-group.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	251.7 KB 
ID:	111467

And the 950

Name:	lumia-cityman-950xl-leak-720x480.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	111468

Now I can continue to post photos of the Nokia flagships that has been released, but if you aren't willing to understand the differences here whats the point? Again, I'll state it. Nokia flagships had a distinct design compared to Nokia's Lumia low to mid range devices. This, looks like a unused low to mid range design from Nokia. Not a flagship as Microsoft has used it.
    You can post all the pictures you want, still doesnt change the fact that these current phones designed by NOKIA have absolutely NOTHING to do with what nokia has done in the past. These are the current FLAGSHIP phones designed by NOKIA.

09-01-2015 01:38 PM
    The design is fine, not spectacular just mediocre. Bottom line though, I'm not paying $700+ for a plastic phone. Make it reasonably priced and I see nothing wrong with this offering. Make it spectacular and I'll jump on release day. As it is, I could see myself moving to this one if my phone was already 2-3 years old but still not at $700+. That's just a non-starter.
    09-01-2015 01:45 PM
    Again, source please that these are Nokia designs.
    (Which is besides the point anyway, since Microsoft bought Nokia's device division, so literally, these *are* Microsoft designs.)
    Otherwise, people are talking out of their rear end.
    theefman likes this.
    09-01-2015 01:50 PM
    Again, source please that these are Nokia designs.
    (Which is besides the point anyway, since Microsoft bought Nokia's device division, so literally, these *are* Microsoft designs.)
    Otherwise, people are talking out of their rear end.
    So the editor in chief of Windows Central Daniel Rubino, he himslef said that these are nokia and NOT Microsoft designs he is talking out of his rear? Im pretty sure he has more knowledge then you and i and everyone else on here about these things.

Attached Thumbnails 73989.jpg  
    09-01-2015 01:56 PM
83 1234