The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-18-2015 11:48 PM
327 12345 ...
tools
    Alright, well my brothers lumia 925 has burn in and this seems to happen quite often when we searched the net.
    As long as Microsoft sticks with a Samsung quality AMOLED there won't be an issue. AMOLED screens have vastly improved in a short period of time (mostly because of the aforementioned Samsung).

I hate all kind of rubbers, coloured or not!
    Polycarbonate, not rubber, haha. I love the feel of good high quality polycarbonate. It's way better than a glass back.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 09-27-2015 at 01:46 AM.
    aXross likes this.
    09-26-2015 08:24 PM
    I think it looks undesirable.... I'll keep my 1020 and 920.
    murtaza_p, iggim and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-26-2015 08:40 PM
    I really go more on just looks for purchasing a phone, usability, durability, battery life, camera and so many other issues and features will help me make a decision before I purchase anything. They look nice, but there are many thing which look nice and are very troublesome.
    09-26-2015 09:03 PM
    I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with the appearance of these phones. They have the best specs and features of any WP ever released. They push so many of my buttons I'd but them now if they were available.
    To me, they look like cheap plastic devices, not flagships. Look at that gaudy metal band around the 950 camera. Why was that necessary? Why is the bottom bezel so large if it has virtual, on screen buttons? It throws the balance and symmetry of the bottom off. I feel like the sides and top bezel are also rather large. And I'm not all that crazy about the rounded corners. It doesn't scream sleek at all.

I'm reserving my final assessment until I can see and feel the phones in person. I'm hoping the pics just fail to capture how awesome they are.
    JohnStrk, murtaza_p, iggim and 2 others like this.
    09-26-2015 09:23 PM
    I think they look great.
    Sqeze likes this.
    09-26-2015 10:25 PM
    To me, they look like cheap plastic devices, not flagships. Look at that gaudy metal band around the 950 camera. Why was that necessary? Why is the bottom bezel so large if it has virtual, on screen buttons? It throws the balance and symmetry of the bottom off. I feel like the sides and top bezel are also rather large. And I'm not all that crazy about the rounded corners. It doesn't scream sleek at all.

I'm reserving my final assessment until I can see and feel the phones in person. I'm hoping the pics just fail to capture how awesome they are.
    Yeah good idea to wait. All my Lumia phones have been rock solid and feel super premium. I've dropped them and not even a scratch. I can't even keep track of how many broken or scratched iPhones I've seen. The Note 5 feels like a tin can and the Edge with the glass wrapping around the sides looks super cheesy. These new Lumias look nice although I will agree I wish the bezel was a bit smaller. But they are definitely looking more premium than other phones from Apple, Samsung, LG, HTC and others.
    Last edited by Mark Morales; 09-26-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: corrected
    09-26-2015 10:27 PM
    look closely the front side of 950 and 950XL

compared to 640 and 640XL.. it is the same model... and it is so ugly for a flagship
    i dont care about polycarbonate or something.. but this isnt 2013 where 1520 got carbonate back vs samsung plastic crap and iphone fragile glass back

MS should move on.. if that 950 with that design gonna cost $700 bucks like the rumor i bet MS will fail to gain new customer and expand market share... hell dude.. you are a fanboy you do not look objectively about the design, how about people that are going to buy s6 or ip6s or note5? and they are comparing those phone with creepy 950 design that looks like 150 dollar 640.. how we are gonna convince them to move?

or that 950 and XL aimed only for fanboy or top management that only use continuum? and we stuck 3% market share forever?
    iggim and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-27-2015 12:04 AM
    The only problem is that AMOLED is prone to burn in. The static navigation bars will likely cause issues.

I'm using a 735, they actually turn of the pixels on the three navigation bar after a while, it kind of greys it out but you can just hide them as well.

What were you guys expecting?
    They look great by the way. So slim and the back l looks incredible.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 09-27-2015 at 01:45 AM.
    09-27-2015 12:36 AM
    The Lumia 950 looks good. I just HATE that the buttons are part of the screen. This makes them look a lot cheaper (and uglier).
    Agree to every word you said.
    i hate the fact that the screens real estate is used up by the buttons, besides capacitative buttons looked so gorgeous ,i have a L1020 btw
    09-27-2015 12:47 AM
    Youre really suggesting that the 950 is more a successor to the 830? Really?
    Yes.
    Look at the picture that i attached:
    p2_25429.jpg

And 950 is SD808, 950XL SD810.
    SD8020 does not exist, but if you have in mind SD820, it is not possible.
    There are a lot of devices with 3GB RAM and SD808 or 810 and some of them cost less than 400usd, but the topic is the design. And it looks bad and cheap.

What are you looking for? An iPhone, Edge or Note? Have you seen how cheap those look? Have you held one? They definitely don't have that premium look and feel and they are metal.
    I held iPhone 6 and 6+. Alsoedge and note. Also Huawei P8 and lot more devices.
    I do not like edges of the Edge. Do not like hump on last Sammy devices either. Do not like rounded edges of iPhones, but all of them looks age ahead premium that this leaks.
    And for the design of P8 - i found it almost perfect.
    So, did you ever held one of those devices or just jumping like an windows fan?
    Really, i didn't expected that windows fans can be blind like ifans.

look closely the front side of 950 and 950XL

compared to 640 and 640XL.. it is the same model... and it is so ugly for a flagship
    i dont care about polycarbonate or something.. but this isnt 2013 where 1520 got carbonate back vs samsung plastic crap and iphone fragile glass back

MS should move on.. if that 950 with that design gonna cost $700 bucks like the rumor i bet MS will fail to gain new customer and expand market share... hell dude.. you are a fanboy you do not look objectively about the design, how about people that are going to buy s6 or ip6s or note5? and they are comparing those phone with creepy 950 design that looks like 150 dollar 640.. how we are gonna convince them to move?

or that 950 and XL aimed only for fanboy or top management that only use continuum? and we stuck 3% market share forever?
    Totally agree with you.

Agree to every word you said.
    i hate the fact that the screens real estate is used up by the buttons, besides capacitative buttons looked so gorgeous ,i have a L1020 btw
    I also have 1020, but i do not like capacitative buttons. Also on my 930.
    Very often i press them by accident and must go back. Preffer phisical or on screen ones.
    But evetyone have his/her taste.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 09-27-2015 at 01:49 AM.
    bsbharath1987 and iggim like this.
    09-27-2015 01:33 AM
    It's not that metal phones in WP land have no precedent. Nokia themselves made the 925 and 830. Why can't MS reuse those designs, instead of coming up with this?
    iggim and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-27-2015 02:54 AM
    It's not that metal phones in WP land have no precedent. Nokia themselves made the 925 and 830. Why can't MS reuse those designs, instead of coming up with this?

Because metal is next year
    libra89 likes this.
    09-27-2015 03:02 AM
    Lumia Flagship and Mid Range Smartphones should have design language having smooth rounded Metal frames, like that of Xperia Z5 with polycarbonate back shell would be awesome, like that of Lumia 830.
    Don't need full metal like Htc M9, or fully removable back shells like that of Lumia 640 or 730, or metal and glass like Samsung Note 5.
    09-27-2015 03:05 AM
    Nokia also designed 950/950XL
    libra89 likes this.
    09-27-2015 03:09 AM
    why on earth would they move buttons on the screen...that sucks
    09-27-2015 03:13 AM
    Imo is better than capacitative ones on my 1020 and 930. Touch tbem accidentally is so often, then you must go search for your app or in browser accidentally go back.
    Best solution for me are hardware buttons, but appears that this is more expensive.
    09-27-2015 04:03 AM
    Nokia also designed 950/950XL
    And McLaren, aluminium body great looking phone, that MSFT get rid off.
    09-27-2015 04:23 AM
    You can hide the buttons by swiping up from the bottom then you'll never accidently go home, back or to search every again, especially when watching movies and playing games.
    09-27-2015 04:57 AM
    I think this has been explained a lot over the past year. Moving the buttons on screen will allow more mfg to reuse their existing designs for wp.

And also accidental hitting of the physical buttons, which I did a lot on my 1020, but I do not do on my new 640 XL (cyan), which I might add, is a great phone. It has some issues but overall, I like it. I get complimented on it all the time.

The whole metal vs poly, well, I could care less. My 640 XL is fine the way it is. With cell plans changing in the US, I think people are going to be more price conscious than they have in the past.
    GMC262, Tom Snyder and libra89 like this.
    09-27-2015 08:04 AM
    I'm using a 735, they actually turn of the pixels on the three navigation bar after a while, it kind of greys it out but you can just hide them as well.

What were you guys expecting?
    They look great by the way. So slim and the back l looks incredible.https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...73f709ee4e.pnghttps://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...8377edd54a.png
    Yah they look nice. But it's just weird having that bezel at the bottom with no use. Usually companies have the buttons on the bezel or something there. In the case of iphone it's the one button. The navbar blends in with the bezel too making it look even larger.
    09-27-2015 08:06 AM
    To me, 950 looks bad. But 950XL is absolutely great looking in that cyan blue render. I really don't understand why people hate the 950XL
    peachy001 likes this.
    09-27-2015 11:18 AM
    First you cant make ur opinion based of photo of slid show pic.... u cant see the real 3D view of the mobile from that.... when I looked of the leaked picture of the mobile that was removed u can see that there is carves and looks much better than the slid show pic ....then we come to most important thing in Lumia mobiles is that when u hold the mobile in ur hand u know the quality of the device and how its way better than the competitor's last ,thing u cant compare this to Lumia 1520 or any non removable battery devices , and this will take us to why most of people are not so happy with how it looks and yet that what people asked for (removable battery device).....so u cant have both slick design and removable battery.
    I know one thing for sure that once its in the store I will compare it to my Lumia 1520 while I am there and make up my mind yet I know it wont be fair to compere two years old mobile with brand new one .....!!
    09-27-2015 01:24 PM
    I'm waiting to see how the camera stacks up more than anything, though I truly hate how Lumia Camera 5 (and now Windows Camera) handles image processing.

If it's a marginally improved camera (as that's exactly what I'm expecting; the 1520/930 sensor with tweaked lenses,) I hope Samsung releases a Galaxy S6/Edge/+/Note for Windows and supplies their own camera app. As it stands, ever since LC5 I've hated my 1520, and as it stands, the best Lumia camera in the world can't make up for the **** Windows Camera will do to the photos captured.

I'd totally go for a Galaxy S6 Edge+ for Windows if it were available in white and Microsoft didn't force Samsung to ruin the home key (and the beautiful front design overall) by plastering the Windows logo onto it.
    GMC262 and iggim like this.
    09-27-2015 01:37 PM
    "so u cant have both slick design and removable battery."

Why not? A removable battery usually involves a portion of the back panel.
    09-27-2015 01:39 PM
    I would've preferred a vapour mag housing like the surface (pro) 3 but oh well...
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-27-2015 01:46 PM
327 12345 ...