10-18-2015 11:48 PM
327 ... 45678 ...
tools
    32gb is a nice place to start off especially with so many cloud services adding additional storage elsewhere. however it would still be nice to see a place for an SD card.
    USB c is nice unfortunately the S6 + and the S6 Edge + are still using micro USB and Apple is still using it's lightning charger. Will the general public be inclined to go to a device that has it's own charger for the time being?
    All reports I've seen is that these phones will have 32gb + an SD card slot. Also, USB-C is where future products are headed for phones, tablets and laptops.
    09-28-2015 04:25 PM
    The camera is NOT as good as the 1020 (20mp vs 41mp) so you can't make that claim. Also, they could add 1GB of memory and have the "best specs" if you count the camera. Many of us do NOT buy smartphones based on specs, unless there's a specific one (like the camera). We look at the entire package: responsiveness of user experience, apps, DESIGN, storage, etc. These do NOT qualify as flagships as far as I'm concerned. The specs are on par with competitors, and the camera is sub-par compared to the 1020. And Windows 10 Mobile is the worst operating system ever. I've been testing it since they made the OS available and there is simply nothing good I can say about it compared to Windows Phone 8.1. Nothing.
    The megapixels do NOT make the camera. I'm just saying.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:07 PM
    This thread has become ridiculous and I've frankly stopped following it haha. I'll read one or two out of the 30 new posts a day and I'm good.
    Tafsern likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:09 PM
    In terms display, just by looking at IPS LCD or OLED we cannot say which is superior: You need to know color gamut, brightness, outdoor view-ability, resolution, refresh-rate etc. Generally premium phones or flag-ships have higher color-gamut coverage, higher contrast ratio, very bright (higher nits). For ex: Lumia 635 and 1520 both has IPS LCD, but 1520 is one the best screen available when it was released (probably best).

Display contributes to major amount of the phone price... also higher resolution costs significantly higher... HD to QHD is a significant boost in ppi, smaller pixels lead to more manufacturing defects, which leads to lower-yield, hence higher price...

I assume (correct me if am wrong) MotoX is a budget/mid-range phone like Lumia 830, and Lumia 950 is a flagship... I am very positive, that we can expect a superior display in Lumia 950 compared to Moto-X, not just in terms of resolution but also color-gamut coverage, contrast-ratio, brightness, and added goodies like high-sensitive touch, enhance outdoor-display (like in Lumia 1520).

Generally speaking LCD produces realistic colors, OLED kind of saturate colors (you can always change color settings in Lumia), but OLED have very good contrast-ratio and OLED tend to look better on windows tile-like UI... LCD might be good for movies (true-colors) and OLED for games (these are all dependent on personal-taste).. blacks are just amazing on OLED screens, because they are pitch blacks (0nit brightness)

bottom line: Not all LCDs are better than OLED/AMOLED and vice-versa... its the all other things that make one display better than others
    I do know all of this already. I was just pointing out that the person I quoted in that comment was comparing the 950 XL to a similar phone without having any real numbers.
    The Moto X Style is Motorola's flagship device as of now, even if it has a mid-range price.
    09-28-2015 07:14 PM
    Ok, Moto X

Inferior storage
    Inferior camera
    Inferior processor
    Inferior RAM
    Inferior screen/resolution

I'm still failing to see your argument.
    And, only $399 with MotoMaker. If the new Lumias come in at $399 then we have a discussion. If they come in at $499 or better then we have an Apples-Oranges discussion because they're in a different price range. As for some of the things you label superior it's really hard to know whether it's superior or not until we have physical hardware from MS. You're basing your conclusions on rumors, not actual hardware.
    Chomiq likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:38 PM
    And, only $399 with MotoMaker. If the new Lumias come in at $399 then we have a discussion. If they come in at $499 or better then we have an Apples-Oranges discussion because they're in a different price range. As for some of the things you label superior it's really hard to know whether it's superior or not until we have physical hardware from MS. You're basing your conclusions on rumors, not actual hardware.
    Thank you! I try to say roughly the same thing and get a pointless lecture on screen technology (my apologies to whoever tried to teach me about the differences between OLED and LCD).
    09-28-2015 08:42 PM
    I work for Verizon and handle all of the newest and best. Even as such, the most inspiring design to me is that of the 1520. There is still no phone that compares to it in terms of quality to me. I think Microsoft has another real winner in these phones.
    09-28-2015 09:22 PM
    The leaks on 950s leave me very disappointed. Basically just a slightly faster 930 and 1520 with no compelling premium feel. No new features that are meaningful...iris scanner who cares and live tiles please. No tap to pay for example, which is avail on a cheap Android or iPhone. None of my friends or family have even a clue that the 950s are coming and will yawn upon arrival, and I agree that it would make no sense to switch to an ecosystem that offers less features and is starving for good apps. Add the fact that MS wholeheartedly supports iOS and Android with it's best stuff, Cortana Office, Outlook so no real loss in switching to them. W10 Mobile is DOA
    iggim, mariusmuntean and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-29-2015 01:20 AM
    My windows 10 mobile forces me to use Lumia Camera. I can't change it to Microsoft and have a separate tile for it. There are times when I want to use the MS one. For the most part the Lumia one is better.

Attachment 113119

agreed buddy, however for some devices the Lumia camera app altogether is omitted for some reason
    09-29-2015 02:56 AM
    Basically just a slightly faster 930 and 1520 with no compelling premium feel.
    Basically you don't really know how they feel or how they look in real life. You just assume they lack premium feel by looking at leaks of renders.

No new features that are meaningful...iris scanner who cares and live tiles please.
    How on earth is a iris scanner not useful? And without ever trying it that's your conclusion, that no one cares? And bashing live tiles, that probably makes the best home screen on a phone ever, that's hands down plain stupid.

Your whole comment just tells me that you know nothing about how Microsoft does things. Office and Cortana on other OS's is only bad if you really don't know WHY they are available there. Switch to another OS if Windows Phone really hurts you that bad. NO ONE makes you stay on Windows Phone.
    Searcher2015 likes this.
    09-29-2015 03:49 AM
    Basically you don't really know how they feel or how they look in real life. You just assume they lack premium feel by looking at leaks of renders.

How on earth is a iris scanner not useful? And without ever trying it that's your conclusion, that no one cares? And bashing live tiles, that probably makes the best home screen on a phone ever, that's hands down plain stupid.

Your whole comment just tells me that you know nothing about how Microsoft does things. Office and Cortana on other OS's is only bad if you really don't know WHY they are available there. Switch to another OS if Windows Phone really hurts you that bad. NO ONE makes you stay on Windows Phone.
    Iris scanner is something new, yes, but not something to be considered as a wow factor. really...continuum as well, who on earth needs to connect his phone to a tv? :)) when most business people also have a netbook or a tablet, so again, not a wow factor. What is then the wow factor at these two models? Design :)))? be serious, the OS? not in a thousand years, apps? no way, even MS's own apps work and look better on the other platforms. specs?, I really do remember seeing many other phones with high specs also, which btw look much better. So, again where is the wow factor? I understand you are a big fan, but it would be much more constructive not to praise things that obviously will not gather more users from other platforms.
    iggim likes this.
    09-29-2015 04:29 AM
    Iris scanner is something new, yes, but not something to be considered as a wow factor. really...continuum as well, who on earth needs to connect his phone to a tv?
    You don't even know what you are talking about. Great job!

The rest in you comment is so useless it's not even worth commenting.
    09-29-2015 06:02 AM
    Iris scanner is something new, yes, but not something to be considered as a wow factor. really...continuum as well, who on earth needs to connect his phone to a tv? :)) when most business people also have a netbook or a tablet, so again, not a wow factor. What is then the wow factor at these two models? Design :)))? be serious, the OS? not in a thousand years, apps? no way, even MS's own apps work and look better on the other platforms. specs?, I really do remember seeing many other phones with high specs also, which btw look much better. So, again where is the wow factor? I understand you are a big fan, but it would be much more constructive not to praise things that obviously will not gather more users from other platforms.
    You ask for constructive criticism but you don't really practice it yourself. What's the wow factor of the iPhone? Oh it's just an iPhone. Yeah it looks nice and runs nice but it doesn't have anything out of this world. In fact it's specs are paltry compared to the 950 XL. The Galaxy series? Yes, new fancy design but they don't feel great in hand and they're still running TouchWiz, and neither one of those series have microSD card support of removable batteries. Neither one have Continuum. Neither one have iris scanners (although the 950 XL doesn't have a fingerprint scanner) and all three phones have comparable performance.
    And the operating system? Windows Phone is beautiful and slick and feels great to use. Yes, lack of apps, but I have everything I need so I'm happy. I use Android as well and I've customized the ever-living farts out of it and it's great but I still use my Lumia 830 before all else.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-29-2015 06:35 AM
    For me design is perfect.
    I want blue one.
    09-29-2015 07:29 AM
    I want blue one.
    I think you will be disappointed. Blue is prototype only. They may come up with diffferentskins though.
    09-29-2015 08:17 AM
    I think you will be disappointed. Blue is prototype only. They may come up with diffferentskins though.
    I like Lumia desing. But my next phone might be Android.
    Anyway If chose W.mobile I would like to have blue or dark blue colored.
    09-29-2015 08:20 AM
    Honestly I think I like them for what they offer but I can't think of too many if any flagship models(not budget or midrange) that they look better than. Good but definitely something worth the wait in terms of design. No one can convince me that the Nokia team had these designs in mind for the new flagships. What happened was Microsoft was trying to figure out still where things were going to go and at the last minute ran out of time and said "hey we'll just use these designs and throw in some killer specs". Microsoft would have been better off using the cancelled McLaren body without the 3d touch display and boom, gorgeous flagship worthy device. Or just update the Lumia 925. Seriously I don't know why they didn't go that route. But whatever, I'm excited to see these two devices in action next week.
    Last edited by RaRa85; 09-29-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    iggim and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-29-2015 08:34 AM
    For some reason, the new flagships design reminds me a lot of these Android phones. Which are sharing virtually similar design theme and this is where I find it uninspiring, since now it lost its identity and new Lumia looks close with these. It can be good and bad. For me its kind of a bad thing, Lumia design-wise starting to loose its identity and became a reactionary. Specs are respectable and features, no doubt. Especially the Continuum and Iris-Scanner. In terms of looks, well I think they fell short right now. 950 and 950 XL supposed to compete with Galaxy S6, Note, iPhone 6S, Xperia, LG, HTC and some others.

androidguruz-phones.jpggionee-m2.jpgkarbonn-a9-.jpgmicromax-bolt-smartphones-lowest-price-list.jpgmicromax-unite-2-a1061.jpgmyphone-rio-craze-orange.jpg

Now the upcoming Lumia:
    untitled.png
    lumia-9501.jpg
    screenshot-5-.png
    Last edited by aXross; 09-29-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    09-29-2015 08:37 AM
    I do and I don't. I like them because they're a slight variation on the 640 XL and 1520, two designs that I clearly like. I don't like them because (IMO) they're not the new, fresh design that MS needs to impress casual smartphone users.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-29-2015 08:40 AM
    You ask for constructive criticism but you don't really practice it yourself. What's the wow factor of the iPhone? Oh it's just an iPhone. Yeah it looks nice and runs nice but it doesn't have anything out of this world. In fact it's specs are paltry compared to the 950 XL. The Galaxy series? Yes, new fancy design but they don't feel great in hand and they're still running TouchWiz, and neither one of those series have microSD card support of removable batteries. Neither one have Continuum. Neither one have iris scanners (although the 950 XL doesn't have a fingerprint scanner) and all three phones have comparable performance.
    And the operating system? Windows Phone is beautiful and slick and feels great to use. Yes, lack of apps, but I have everything I need so I'm happy. I use Android as well and I've customized the ever-living farts out of it and it's great but I still use my Lumia 830 before all else.
    First I never said iphone has all the wow factors. Also I've never said either that Galaxy series are perfect. You are telling me windows phone is slick and a joy to use...yes, 8.1 was like this, but for sure not windows 10 which is almost at the launch date and still works like a mediocre toy. Continuum? I do not want to start talking about this again, it's not a wow factor, and many have said this. Iris scanner, again nothing special like also unlocking the phone with touchid, good to have but nothing so special. Apps? well sorry but having the apps updated once every 4-5 months is not something I want for a phone I've paid good money on. Banks apps missing, local apps missing, events apps missing, most of all the good games are on ios and android, operator support is almost missing for wp. Shall I go on? Everyone has the right to use what fits best for him/her, but to praise something that is becoming a total fail, seems to much out of anything...I am not defending either platform, every one of them has it's flaws, but the direction WP is going is a total nonsense; a 3rd reboot of the OS, all the good stuff from 8 and 8.1 seem more and more to be taken out. Everyone is talking about universal apps...how many have risen up till now? how many? the first ipad was not even launched and the store already had hundreds of them optimized for it at the launch day...apple watch, barely launched and at that time there were many apps updated to support it..sorry for the comparison but it's the true facts that devs care for others but not for MS's platform, sad but true! how many good apps are updated to universal, and launched for both PC and phone in preparation for the big windows 10 mobile release? This is a clear message that devs do not care at all about it.
    Another guy here says I do not know what I am talking about when speaking for continuum...please spare me, go ahead spend that enormous over 700$ on a new 950 and tell everyone that you have continuum on it...wow it's the thing that matters, continuum will save WP and many android and ios users will rush and switch...:)) It's nice to dream but it's also more productive to be realistic.
    iggim likes this.
    09-29-2015 08:49 AM
    it would have been better considering the specs of 950/950xl with a metal frame body
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-29-2015 08:53 AM
    From just the design. No, I don't like it. Uninspiring at all. From the leak it seems like a 2D glass panel, but Lumia1520 already using a 2.5D glass. Looks more like a step back design. The volume rocker and power button are a confusing design. If the back material still using poly carbonate, at least the paint need to be a metallic to make it feels premium flagship phone. IMO flagship using this kind of design is too low profile.
    09-29-2015 09:23 AM
    Full disclosure: I use a 1520 now, a 920 before, and a 900 and N900 before those.

Finally, a voice of reason with a factual perspective. Check the history, EVERY single new WP handset release is met with a chorus of malcontents. My theory is, like most of us here, they are not interested in Android chaos or iOS swarming around Apple stores like lemmings. The difference is the "glass half empty" crowd is lashing out against MS over frustrations we all share about slow pace of ecosystem development. I prefer celebrating the good and giving honest and reasonable feedback about the bad. If I were as unhappy as some appear on here, I would suck it up and get a S6 or iphone 6 and get on with my life. I don't do that because I believe it would make me yet unhappier.
    John M Beauchemin and libra89 like this.
    09-29-2015 10:10 AM
    I personally don't consider what friends or family think about the mobile I decide to buy. Basing a decision on those factors, the choice is clear and easy: iOS or Android. The ecosystem/app quantity questions seems more meaningful to me. I am of the opinion that a large form factor display, a full featured browser, and a robust processor eliminates the need for so-called apps. After all, what are mobile apps other than dumbed down versions of web pages that mobile developers adapt to fit on 4-inch displays? To be fair, iOS and Android are way ahead of WP for games - I'm told. Tap to pay and other banking apps are often cited as examples of WP inadequacy. I don't see it. In the end, there are many use cases. Mine is fulfilled enough by WP that I don't feel the need to line up outside an Apple store or get one of those flimsy Samsung phones.
    09-29-2015 10:27 AM
    These are not game changer phones, but I think they look great and are solid premium devices. The ONLY game-changer for WP will be getting apps. If WP had all the apps iOS has, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I do think Here authentication will be a moderately big deal (assuming its fast). Continuum will be important to some users, but not everyone. My biggest disappointment is no tap and pay wireless payments. This is basically a software thing that can come later, but its frustrating to me as a WP user that we still don't have this. Its been promised since WP8.0 at least - maybe even 7. The technology is there, but MS cant work out the business end. There's really no excuse for this. Hopefully they have a surprise for us on launch day.
    aXross likes this.
    09-29-2015 10:31 AM
327 ... 45678 ...