Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
After the last leaks, we can be 99% sure that this is the design of both phones.
I was hoping all this to be false, but here we are - meeting new flagships.
For me, the design of both phones is terrible, because they even look cheap.
I do not care if polycarbonate is more durable than metal or not, but definitely looks cheaper.
The hump on the camera is useless and bad. The device will not lay perfectly on the table, but will stay little higher in the upper part, where is the camera hump.
Who the hell is the designer of this devices? Who approve it? Is there, in Microsoft, a person that can make inspiring design? This suppose to be THE FLAGSHIP, after so huge delay in time after Lumia 930 and you came out with this? Great dissapointment for me. And this must be sells driver of your new platform? Are you trying to commit a suicide Microsoft?

So, can you tell me what you like and do not like in their design? But please, be honest. Is this a flagship design?

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
They look good to me, as they look similar to the previous. They keeping with traditional look. I look forward to this spec! Hope they keep prices relatively low.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
No. More of the same is not what MSFT need. Unless they're pricing these like the 640. Then cool. They can't be charging premiums just because it features Microsoft on the front. The ecosystem will come and that'll take time but no one is going to drop five hundred on this unless there is something really competing. A gussied up assistant isn't it. Though continuum might be.

ArrowQueen

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 950 looks good. I just HATE that the buttons are part of the screen. This makes them look a lot cheaper (and uglier).

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with the appearance of these phones. They have the best specs and features of any WP ever released. They push so many of my buttons I'd but them now if they were available.

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
No. More of the same is not what MSFT need. Unless they're pricing these like the 640. Then cool. They can't be charging premiums just because it features Microsoft on the front. The ecosystem will come and that'll take time but no one is going to drop five hundred on this unless there is something really competing. A gussied up assistant isn't it. Though continuum might be.

Exactly! It's like successor of 830, means no flagship, but midrange device.
Price must be like mid at most.
But that's not what MS need. They need breakthrough device. Or will stay with 3-5% marketshare and the eco system will not grow.

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
The Lumia 950 looks good. I just HATE that the buttons are part of the screen. This makes them look a lot cheaper (and uglier).

I'm on the opposite side. I do not like the buttons of my 1020 and 930. You can accidentally touch them while holding the phone and then go back or start search and must start over again.
I preffer physical, real buttons or on screen ones.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there already a thread on this exact topic? I do not understand the need for creating the exact same topic in a new thread 😷

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Isn't there already a thread on this exact topic? I do not understand the need for creating the exact same topic in a new thread ��

Can you show me that topic? I didn't saw it. I'm asking people to share do they like the design of both new so called flagships. Can this design force you to buy the phone without details?
IMO definitely no.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Still I don't like it that much. The leaked images are exactly as I expected them from official leaked renders before, now they rather just have interesting angles which are shot to make them look better, which is the point of marketing images anyways so its not bad but yeah its I expect them to be.

Now it even really shows that its rather uninspiring design which is disappointing from previous Lumia which tend to give a feeling of WOW and iconic, these are rather too-safe that it very looks like from other unknown Android phones out there. That's I think not a good thing since it makes the device rather forgettable and easy to miss. Especially with the flagships out there that easily catches the consumers eyes.

Oh well its here anyways so there is nothing we can do. I might buy it when I see it in person and the only reason I will get it because of specs and features, though I'm afraid that this phone is something I might not even proud to own, far from feeling when I get my first Lumia.
They better price these competitively and I still hope they give us a color options and show it on the shops. We'll see.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Design is perfectly fine. They're a whole lot better then some of the other pieces of junk I've seen this year. I love it a lot more than the Galaxy S6/Edge because they don't feel very nice in hand, that glass back is horrible, and there's no microSD. I love it more than the iPhone 6/+ because of the larger screens, and more solid design. The iPhone 6/+ feels almost fragile in hand (the 6S is supposed to be better but we'll see).
It's just fine. No, not spectacular, but you all wanted a flagship so stop whining.

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Design is perfectly fine. They're a whole lot better then some of the other pieces of junk I've seen this year. I love it a lot more than the Galaxy S6/Edge because they don't feel very nice in hand, that glass back is horrible, and there's no microSD. I love it more than the iPhone 6/+ because of the larger screens, and more solid design. The iPhone 6/+ feels almost fragile in hand (the 6S is supposed to be better but we'll see).
It's just fine. No, not spectacular, but you all wanted a flagship so stop whining.

This is not a flagship. As the devices that you own - 830 and 520. It is suitable for you, but me and i think not just me, WE expected a flagship. Spacs are not flagship, design is not flagship.
Thats why we talk about - not whining. I am not satisfied with mid range looks and more of the Chinese producers made better ones. Even thier mid range devices are with SD808.
If you do not like our opinion, don't read it. We got it - you like it.
But most of us dont.

lumiagrab

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I hate those devices for a few reasons:
1- Windows on screen buttons are really ugly;
2- The usage of polycarbonate on it is cheap looking, unlike the previous flagships;
3- By the end of the day, continuum and wireless charging will be "meh" features that almost no one will use; (i hope i'm wrong but...)
4- Specs are great, but let's remember it is a Windows device, so, it will make almost none to no difference at all;
5- They make me see that windows communties are just like apple communities, if microsoft begins to sell a soap bar, it will be the best soap bar ever to some people.
6- They will be expensive and that is for sure. (at least in my country)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

They're charging premium because of QHD, Snapdragon 8020, 3GB RAM, Glance, wireless charging, USB-C, etc. Please stop making yourself look ignorant.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! It's like successor of 830, means no flagship, but midrange device.
Price must be like mid at most.
But that's not what MS need. They need breakthrough device. Or will stay with 3-5% marketshare and the eco system will not grow.

Youre really suggesting that the 950 is more a successor to the 830? Really?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
They're charging premium because of QHD, Snapdragon 8020, 3GB RAM, Glance, wireless charging, USB-C, etc. Please stop making yourself look ignorant.

Take a look at the Moto x style. Sure, no usb c. That's not an issue yet, not mainstream. Glance and all the other stuff don't mean it should command a premium, especially given that year on year it's only fanboys, people in third world markets and ignorant types like you are the only ones interested - and I specifically mentioned continuum may be a reason for elevated costs, but I guess you ignored that. I have a 1520, for which a premium was paid. I don't regret it but equally I'm not so blindly sycophantic that I'm going to jump on whatever they put out. I have my opinion. I'm allowed to have that. Don't get personal. I'm not ignorant nor am I a sycophant. Lets keep this civil. If English isn't your first language, or you haven't progressed out of school, fine, but really: You have your opinion and I'll have mine and everyone else theirs.

Last edited:

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at the Moto x style. Sure, no usb c. That's not an issue yet, not mainstream. Glance and all the other stuff don't mean it should command a premium, especially given that year on year it's only fanboys, people in third world markets and ignorant types like you are the only ones interested - and I specifically mentioned continuum may be a reason for elevated costs, but I guess you ignored that. I have a 1520, for which a premium was paid. I don't regret it but equally I'm not so blindly sycophantic that I'm going to jump on whatever they put out. I have my opinion. I'm allowed to have that. Don't get personal. I'm not ignorant nor am I a sycophant. Lets keep this civil. If English isn't your first language, or you haven't progressed out of school, fine, but really: You have your opinion and I'll have mine and everyone else theirs.

Ok, Moto X

Inferior storage
Inferior camera
Inferior processor
Inferior RAM
Inferior screen/resolution

I'm still failing to see your argument.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm just curious why we're suddenly ignorant and you aren't, because I happen to like the design of these phones. If I am indeed entitled to my opinion, why am I an ignorant Microsoft ****** pining after a metaphorical "bar of soap"? I do, in fact, enjoy these designs, even if they're not the best thing ever. I do, in fact, hope that the price will be competitive, but I am realistic. So please, have your opinion, but don't take it out on everyone around you. People aren't suddenly ignorant because they don't share your opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss