Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Moto X

Inferior storage
Inferior camera
Inferior processor
Inferior RAM
Inferior screen/resolution

I'm still failing to see your argument.
I'm going to make it simple, setting as your failing to see my "argument": There is no argument. Look at the title. I don't like it. That is all.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Ok, Moto X

Inferior storage
Inferior camera
Inferior processor
Inferior RAM
Inferior screen/resolution

I'm still failing to see your argument.

Where are your statistics on inferior storage? Moto X Style has a microSD card slot and has an option for 64GB of in-built storage—twice that of the 950/XL.
Where are your test pictures showing how it's an inferior camera? Yes, we assume that our beloved 'Nokia' PureView camera will be far superior and it certainly seems that way with OIS and superior camera software, but we can't say until the devices are released.
The processor is only inferior to the 950 XL, and that is only in sheer power.
Where are your statistics on the inferior RAM? They have the same amount of RAM. Is one faster than the other? Please, show me the numbers.
Are you referring to the IPS LCD display of the Moto X? Surely not the resolution, since they're QHD (all three are, the Moto X Style, Lumia 950 and 950 XL). It's a matter of opinion whether or not AMOLED is superior to IPS LCD and we have yet to see the OLED displays of either Microsoft flagship in action so how could we possibly say they're better? They might very well be (I believe when properly calibrated an OLED display is far better than a comparative LCD display), but we can't possibly say for certain.

I don't disbelieve you at all. I just fail to see how this list makes for a compelling argument when you've yet to provide any evidence or statistics on it. Please do and I'll change my perspective. Thank you, sir.

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
These phones cannot compete against iPhones , when windows phone and iPhone are stacked side by side iPhone will sell. Even if you go to ATT store they have iPhones displayed separately vs WP are displayed with other phones .

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm just curious why we're suddenly ignorant and you aren't, because I happen to like the design of these phones. If I am indeed entitled to my opinion, why am I an ignorant Microsoft ****** pining after a metaphorical "bar of soap"? I do, in fact, enjoy these designs, even if they're not the best thing ever. I do, in fact, hope that the price will be competitive, but I am realistic. So please, have your opinion, but don't take it out on everyone around you. People aren't suddenly ignorant because they don't share your opinion.
Re-read what I wrote. That ignorant comment wasn't directed at you. He took out out on me, I responded. This isn't about you. Your opinion is as valid as that guy, or mine. We don't have to share it. I don't. Sorry of out sounded like I am addressing the world at large. I was responding to him. I was not talking to you. Okay?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re-read what I wrote. That ignorant comment wasn't directed at you. Unless, of course, you're admitting something here, like a lack of reading comprehension. He took out out on me, I responded. This isn't about you. Don't get involved. Your opinion is as valid as that guy, or mine. We don't have to share it. I don't. Sorry of out sounded like I am addressing the world at large. I was responding to him. I was not talking to you. Okay?
You're opinion is completely valid, it just irks me when a 'mature' debate turns to petty insults. Forgive me if I sounded harsh in any way but calling someone 'ignorant' of an opinion just seems...hypocritical, in a way. Either way, have a good day.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
These phones cannot compete against iPhones , when windows phone and iPhone are stacked side by side iPhone will sell. Even if you go to ATT store they have iPhones displayed separately vs WP are displayed with other phones .

Microsoft has already said these phones are not meant to compete with an iPhone. Apple has the economy, the marketing, the fanbase, and the coffers that Microsoft doesn't. Microsoft would crush themselves like a ship against crags if they tried to compete directly with Apple. Apple is way too far into the market for two phones to turn the tide. It'll take a lot of careful decisions and slowly egging their way deeper into the market for Microsoft to make a real difference. These devices are just for Windows enthusiasts, basically.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
You're opinion is completely valid, it just irks me when a 'mature' debate turns to petty insults. Forgive me if I sounded harsh in any way but calling someone 'ignorant' of an opinion just seems...hypocritical, in a way. Either way, have a good day.
Look, I agree with you. I described a class of sycophant to make a point, I don't appreciate people jumping on and insulting. I don't know of it's a age thing or not. Anyway, as you say, have a good day.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
One interesting point I heard, at my club, is that msft may license continuum. Given the Marie of the specs, and how close the BlackBerry priv matches the lumias on specs, we got on to that topic. It's interesting to hear people day they would rather buy a priv and load it out with msft apps than buy the purported lumia offerings. In my opinion, again, I think msft need to be more adventurous. But that's just me. I believe it is absolutely the right move to get as many services out onto other platforms. That is constructive disruption one oh one.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
One interesting point I heard, at my club, is that msft may license continuum. Given the Marie of the specs, and how close the BlackBerry priv matches the lumias on specs, we got on to that topic. It's interesting to hear people day they would rather buy a priv and load it out with msft apps than buy the purported lumia offerings. In my opinion, again, I think msft need to be more adventurous. But that's just me. I believe it is absolutely the right move to get as many services out onto other platforms. That is constructive disruption one oh one.

Their services are also extremely popular on other platforms. They're already one of the top developers in Android (not sure about iOS but I'm certain they're way up there) and more and more people are getting on to Windows 10. It's looking good. Your move, Microsoft.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Their services are also extremely popular on other platforms. They're already one of the top developers in Android (not sure about iOS but I'm certain they're way up there) and more and more people are getting on to Windows 10. It's looking good. Your move, Microsoft.

Agreed. Office on iPad was a superb decision. I'm retired from corporate finance and, talking to chaps I know, unbelievable, that iPad pro looks to have a lot of support. Beggars belief. But then MSFT position their services as a gateway to msft land and they should certainly have excellent products waiting for those that wasn't the associated hardware.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Agreed. Office on iPad was a superb decision. I'm retired from corporate finance and, talking to chaps I know, unbelievable, that iPad pro looks to have a lot of support. Beggars belief. But then MSFT position their services as a gateway to msft land and they should certainly have excellent products waiting for those that wasn't the associated hardware.
I frankly think the iPad Pro is a joke. It just can't compete with a Surface Pro and I firmly believe that. But, I mean, it's Apple. So people will buy it in droves. At least it runs the full Microsoft suite of applications. I've been using Microsoft products on Android and they're so much better than the default Google services in my opinion.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[INFO]
We understand that all are anxious for the release of these devices.
All the excitement has caused a flurry of opinion and anxiety.

To avoid forcing us to close good discussion threads please stay on topic and keep the arguments civil.

[/INFO]

Michael Hana

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
They're charging premium because of QHD, Snapdragon 8020, 3GB RAM, Glance, wireless charging, USB-C, etc. Please stop making yourself look ignorant.

We don't know what they're charging. We saw a rumor of a Spanish bundle that threw in $220 of accessories for 659-750 euro. Windows central has confirmed there will be bundles in some countries but not all. That doesn't tell us anything and we don't even know if it's right. Pricing can and will change even days before the reveal.

If we were to treat the bundle as legit, we can only speculate. Is that bundle a discounted bundle? Microsoft is known for bundling with minimal discounts. Will they charge an equivalent euro-dollar converted price? History says probably not.

I can speculate optimistically (which no one seems to do with WinPhone these days-even MS fans are more willing to doubt Redmond these days) with the above information that the phones might be priced as low as $450-$550, which would make them quite affordable. Maybe even $5-600. If you take the pessimistic root, you could speculate prices up to $730-830. Regardless, that's a huge range of possibility and shows how much margin of error there is with speculation

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Meh bought my 640 cause I liked it now I'm kinda liking win10 as well. So I'm probably gonna stick with MS. But in some near or distanr future if it happens that I liked different platform, yeah, I'd go for it. No one's gonna make me just another brick in the wall just because their phones are displayed separately.

anism

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Exactly! It's like successor of 830, means no flagship, but midrange device.
Price must be like mid at most.
But that's not what MS need. They need breakthrough device. Or will stay with 3-5% marketshare and the eco system will not grow.

Only because it looks a bit similar to 830, it should be priced like it, how senseless thinking is this. Have you seen the specs, ita not only the best in any WP device but its one of the best in the market. Besides you haven't even handled it yet. I understand aluminium looks premium but just because Iphone uses it doesn't mean its the best material. Get over it and wait for the device. Ultimately the specs will rule the decision. Looks are not bad.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Where are your statistics on inferior storage? Moto X Style has a microSD card slot and has an option for 64GB of in-built storage?twice that of the 950/XL.
Where are your test pictures showing how it's an inferior camera? Yes, we assume that our beloved 'Nokia' PureView camera will be far superior and it certainly seems that way with OIS and superior camera software, but we can't say until the devices are released.
The processor is only inferior to the 950 XL, and that is only in sheer power.
Where are your statistics on the inferior RAM? They have the same amount of RAM. Is one faster than the other? Please, show me the numbers.
Are you referring to the IPS LCD display of the Moto X? Surely not the resolution, since they're QHD (all three are, the Moto X Style, Lumia 950 and 950 XL). It's a matter of opinion whether or not AMOLED is superior to IPS LCD and we have yet to see the OLED displays of either Microsoft flagship in action so how could we possibly say they're better? They might very well be (I believe when properly calibrated an OLED display is far better than a comparative LCD display), but we can't possibly say for certain.

I don't disbelieve you at all. I just fail to see how this list makes for a compelling argument when you've yet to provide any evidence or statistics on it. Please do and I'll change my perspective. Thank you, sir.

The only problem is that AMOLED is prone to burn in. The static navigation bars will likely cause issues.

anism

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
This is not a flagship. As the devices that you own - 830 and 520. It is suitable for you, but me and i think not just me, WE expected a flagship. Spacs are not flagship, design is not flagship.
Thats why we talk about - not whining. I am not satisfied with mid range looks and more of the Chinese producers made better ones. Even thier mid range devices are with SD808.
If you do not like our opinion, don't read it. We got it - you like it.
But most of us dont.

Sorry to say but the specs are high range. You can't see that because your hate for the design is too big to realise that the specs are fantastic. Flagship DOES NOT mean aluminium please. When the Nokia 800 was launched, it was an innovative design and nothing looked better, still this was polycarbonate. This will be true this time round too. Being extremely thin any Aluminum has its flaws too. The antenna lines on the back of iPhone looks a mess remember that. Slips easily too. Be proud, this will be the best WP ever spec wise and the overall design.

anism

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I hate those devices for a few reasons:
1- Windows on screen buttons are really ugly;
2- The usage of polycarbonate on it is cheap looking, unlike the previous flagships;
3- By the end of the day, continuum and wireless charging will be "meh" features that almost no one will use; (i hope i'm wrong but...)
4- Specs are great, but let's remember it is a Windows device, so, it will make almost none to no difference at all;
5- They make me see that windows communties are just like apple communities, if microsoft begins to sell a soap bar, it will be the best soap bar ever to some people.
6- They will be expensive and that is for sure. (at least in my country)

1. I would prefer the hardware buttons too but not because the onscreen ones are ugly, I think they are cool buy only because it hides sometimes. Besides, by doing this MS can do smaller bezel and larger screen etc.

2. Don't agree at all, the polycarbonate on 800, 1520, 820 and 640 looks great and sturdy. Don't look cheap at all. It is just the perception that
plastic = cheap

3. Continuum is an innovative and a added feature to your Lumia device, don't understand why you have put it as an negative point when you should be proud of it, in fact it can be disruptive tech which no other smartphone has. Its there if you want to use it, if you want to. Microsoft is doing something innovative and great here but you people are just whinging because its MS who is doing. Apple would get a standing ovation in their presentation if they would have done it.

4 I disagree, I had a L1520 and now 735 and difference is clearly seen In a 1gb device versus a 2 GB.

5. So what's wrong in this, but sadly i don't see this, we are not like the apple community, as you see yourself who is is so negative and critical of these new device and many such people like you. Besides apple gets a clap on even a copied feature, we don't.

6. Haha so what you want these devices to be sold at the same price of 640. We have become use to cheap phones from Microsoft. Even high end phone s like 1520 go at ridiculous price after 1 year but iphone being ridiculously priced at launched remains at the same price. If you want to compare phones then expect high price too. I thing is certain it will be much lower than the iPhone but higher than any other Lumia phone ever and why not with all that tech and spec

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium