Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

IEhrgeizI

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite happy with the design and the features are killer. The 810 cpu wil have no heating issues as the latest devices running it have had no issues. Hell the 930/Icon/1520 got hot when using them as do most phones now. Not an issue to me especially with a polycarbonate shell.

Looking forward to getting the 950XL.

RA Lamberson

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to the new 950XL, have had a 920, 1520, 535 Dual Sim and I have always liked the polycarbonate bodies on the upper end Lumias. People have always given me envious comments about the 1520, as it really stands out. Only design that would be cooler would be to have a device that actually looks like a Surface, but I imagine that the heat problems are just magnified with a metal body.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm okay with the designs of both phone but I'm hoping that they would release a true 6" successor to the 1520 with smaller top and bottom bezels, especially the top one, might as well get rid of the Microsoft brand, and call it a 15xx instead. Also, there should be more colour options to choose from.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I like the design, I think it fits well as a Microsoft Lumia. The specs seem to be equal to what qualifies as a flagship. My only problem is the lack of a more premium looking back cover. I'd like to see a "Metallic" look to it, yes probably plastic. But then again, if I'm fortunate enough to save enough to afford one it'll be in a TPU case anyway.

When the time comes for the Surface Phone/Pocket PC. That should look more like a few of the concept phones we've been teased with. Pure Premium.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to the new 950XL, have had a 920, 1520, 535 Dual Sim and I have always liked the polycarbonate bodies on the upper end Lumias. People have always given me envious comments about the 1520, as it really stands out. Only design that would be cooler would be to have a device that actually looks like a Surface, but I imagine that the heat problems are just magnified with a metal body.

It's a common misconception that metal in phones make it hot. The main reason people believe this is that the metal feels hotter to the touch when compared to the plastic. However, since metal has a higher thermal conductivity than plastic, a metal phone would dissipate heat better. It would act as a heat sink for the processor. What this all means is that a metal phone will keep the processor cooler than a plastic one would. Another part of the problem is that us humans can't feel temperature. We can only feel the transfer of heat. If you take metal and plastic and heat them up to the same temperature, the metal will feel hotter because it transfers it's heat quicker than plastic.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I'm a boring engineer by day.

SanketRJDave

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I am with you :) I will skip 950,950XL,550* just because of design. I am happy with my 520 :)P). Now waiting for 1020 successor with SDCard support. 950 and 950XL both have best spec but designs are ugly :(. THIS IS NOT PREMIUM DESIGN LIKE 925,930,830,920.

murtaza_p

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting to see how the camera stacks up more than anything, though I truly hate how Lumia Camera 5 (and now Windows Camera) handles image processing.

If it's a marginally improved camera (as that's exactly what I'm expecting; the 1520/930 sensor with tweaked lenses,) I hope Samsung releases a Galaxy S6/Edge/+/Note for Windows and supplies their own camera app. As it stands, ever since LC5 I've hated my 1520, and as it stands, the best Lumia camera in the world can't make up for the **** Windows Camera will do to the photos captured.

I'd totally go for a Galaxy S6 Edge+ for Windows if it were available in white and Microsoft didn't force Samsung to ruin the home key (and the beautiful front design overall) by plastering the Windows logo onto it.

agreed the lumia camera app was brilliant, however the windows 10 update (TP) forces you to use the Windows camera app which makes the photos horrible and washed out. rolled back 8.1 immediately on my Lumia 1020

mgkole

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I think that design is not bad at all, but it's far from sometnihg "wow", and that's maybe the good and bad for Microsoft. It's good because they don't want to risk, and they've just exploited allready existing and very appealing design, but it's always good to have sometning new and bold so that people can get excited about it. So, it all depends on market reaction, but I'm not sure that in direct competition with likes of S6 edge, iPhone 6s and htcM9 this Lumia 950 duo has much of a chance.

Biffe

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
honestly I can't say anything negativ about the design, but I hope that they will add more colors, the orange and green was awesome, and something different. ill instant buy 950xl in green.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Moto X looks like every other phone on the market. It's boring. It does not stand out in any way. I much rather have the collorfull options of MS' Lumia Devices.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Here's another one.

Next Gen OnePlus 2 Smartphone Uses Cooler Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 v2.1 SoC | HotHardware

See the thing is don't buy day one. Wait for the reviews.

OnePlus 2 throttles its CPU to 1.8ghz and it still gets a bit warm in use. At least according to reviews.

My 930 uses SD800, which was known for its bad thermal performance. It gets warm, like unpleasantly warm during summer. And I'm not even heavy user, no gaming at all, just checking social media etc for 5 minutes was enough for it to get uncomfortable.

Now on topic:
No, I don't like the design. I don't like camera humps, I don't like the cheap look. My 930 beats both 950 and 950XL in its design, it's simple but doesn't feel cheap. Sure, it's thermal design is bad, but aesthetically it's a pleasing design.

Last edited:

umovies

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
looks good to me especially since spec wise its at the top of the heap beyond the iphone 6. to me Microsoft answered the critics by bringing a high end phone, this is the first not the last high end phone from Microsoft look wise it will get better in the future spec wise it is already there, take a chill pill dude

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre