Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
All the specs are better than iPhone 6s. Please explain your ignorant comment. Microsoft phones have always been priced very competitive compared to the company that features an apple on the front.

Specs are better? I doubt about SD 810/808 is better than A9. Also GPU.
But we speak about the design. And the design of iPhone is better that this bricks. To be honest, almost every phone in last few months have better look than this. The year is 2015 and this plastic shell, just because some people request replacable battery, which i never used on my Nokia 808, is outdated. At least for a flagship.

xboxnerd

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Nothing is "outdated" about the plastic material. It is strong and light, easy to maintain, and enables Qi wireless charging.
I never get why people are always demanding metal frame, which doesn't necessarily ensure premium feeling.
The key is the design.

Also, iphone 6s is a design disaster imo.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You are kidding, right? High end processors, Zeiss cameras, each with 3GB memory and 32GB with expandable. Decent REPLACEBLE batteries, Gorilla glass and ready for "Hello" right out of the box.

If it is any help, there is a lot of yelping and hand-wringing about the new Nexus phones as well. The new Lumia's look thin and have Qi charging WITHOUT a cover.

We are our own worst enemies sometimes. let's give a wait at least until Tuesday before we have our collective coronaries.

I will set Cortana to time until the first "I am finished with Windows phone...," "MS fail..." posts. There is so much coming up - pen use, "Windows Hello," Continuum, Holo Lens news, a new Band, Surface Pro 4 possible in 2 form factors. 3 Lumia phones including 2 that do rival at least the innards or many of the latest offerings from other OEM and Windows 10 Mobile on the way.

What the "H" would be a "breakthrough" device exactly? An iPhone clone?

First stop making continuum a wow feature. It's not a sale point really. I'm not gonna explain why over and over again. Windows Hello is nice but is not something that will make a sell point anymore. Touch id exists on other phones so a secure authentication method is no longer a wow factor. Plus, using a fingerprint reader while driving and the phone is mounted is possible, iris scanner? how? you need to watch the road not to stare at the phone to unlock. Yes, Surface 4 it's something I am waiting to see, but these phones no way. I have already pre-ordered an iphone 6S and a galaxy Note 5 for my family. I'm not gonna spend 600-700EUR on a phone that has a design of a low cost device, and I am not talking about the materials used, but the overall design and of course the BETA OS on it!

Seojune Lee

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
I really disappointed about last leaks. Can you believe that this is Microsoft's flagship model of 2015? 550 is even more closer to design I've thought.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Plus, using a fingerprint reader while driving and the phone is mounted is possible, iris scanner? how? you need to watch the road not to stare at the phone to unlock. !

I believe this has been explained over and over that you won't have to "stare" at the phone for it to unlock.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I really disappointed about last leaks. Can you believe that this is Microsoft's flagship model of 2015? 550 is even more closer to design I've thought.

Well some here think that is :)) Wish them luck spending a lot of cash on them. Windows phones lose their resale value quickly so not worth investing in them.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
To all people woried about lack of colour options.. Chinese manufacturers will make most probably replacement in various colours after a month or two. At least for my 735 there are options of colours which aren't original, like yellow.
Maybe even MSFT will have replacement covers in different colours.
Few bucks up and down when you already can spend like 500-700 euros aren't a big deal.

And also, while it sounds crazy, having colourful options may have do the bad thing to sales. Phones looked different
and striking,and fact is, while we appreciatethat,most of people don't want that and like to be part of massesand not to feel different. I think that is what is changed, MSFT is targeting masses, not fans like you and me anymore.

That saying, theu should have gone with metal design if they wanted masses...

Personally, I'm torn between positive and negative about design, like it and don't. I like whote much more than black. Will see how it is executed, I like glossy white of 640 but don't like matte on 640 xl, but at same time xl's design looks much better to me.
Will see, for sure I won't buy them until their second hand price,is below 200euros xD

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I take it you just like to hear yourself talk with comments like that. You haven't even seen one of the new 950's and you make claims about how they don't look good enough for a Flagship phone. The images we've been able to look at have ALL been renders until the most recent slip by MSFT UK, and then those are only sales images. Let's give it a REST until they are released and we can HOLD them in our hands and decide just how suitable a Flagship device they are or are not!

Neah..I won't bother even checking them out in the stores. Better go play with some nice looking galaxy phones, some ipads or macbooks.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Once the phone is purchased, realistically, looks don't matter. No, I'm not a fan of what these phones look like. Yes, I think my Galaxy Note 5 looks a lot better. However, that's before the phone is in the case. Face it, the vast, vast, VAST majority of these phones will end up in cases. Once in the case, it doesn't matter what the back is made of or what it looks like or how many fingerprints the material will pick up. It's in a case!

Not when you use a transparent case :) or an OEM case frrom Samsung which are awesome, especially those with s-view.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Those people saying that 950 and 950XL are beautiful phones are either blind or just a ****** to the highest level. Come on. It's ugly, uninspired and cheap looking. And those round edges makes me puke. We deserve a better looking phones than these garbage looking ones.

I don't even bother waiting. It's pretty clear to me that Microsoft does not have a good design team for the phone division, or simply they are too stingy to hire some. Design horrible, app ecosystem a hit and miss, most apps are either missing or are way outdated, MS's own apps work better on other platforms, and look better, great games can be found 90% of them on the other platforms, good cameras can be found on many other phones: s6,note 5, z5, iph 6S, lg g4, customer support is completely out of any quality at MS (my own experience), and an OS that is so close to finish line and still works like a broken toy, bugs, lags, horrible design like a shrinked down PC version....why would I then spend over 700 EUR or even over 500 EUR on these two? :)))) no way, I'm done with MS's ditch and run policies: WP7.8, WinRT.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So from a photo and preview OS, you have made a decision?? At least wait until the devices have been released before you head for the exit.... Incredible!!!!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just a few remarks. The phones (for better or for worse) are not so unlike previous generations of Lumia. I wish we had the variety of color (not pastel or highlighter colors) as previous generations offered. I've owned many a Lumia 920, 1520, 830 and I have to say the metal band of the 830 is slick. But I think I like it because of its squarish design. It isn't practical. It dings hard and the paint wears. You don't have this problem with the poly-carbonate. In hand, poly-carbonate certainly does not "look" cheap or feel it. But as with all things subjective, I guess that is up to the individual to decide. I could see arguing "not ground breaking" since its a rehashed tried true and tested design choice, but not really just "cheap" and "uninspired." I honest to goodness think we should all reserve judgement until we have them to hold in our hands. I feel the same way about the software start button bar vs hardware.

Polycarb. can be made to look premium if you have a good design team. Look at 930 as it is not all metal, only the frame is, look at 1520. two very nice looking phones, very nice. but these two are the result of Microsoft's cost cutting policies...resulting in less good team members...ending up with a couple of low cost design phones sold as premium...and they expect to attract android and ios users...lol :)))))) even some existing WP users will jump ship to others...

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
All the specs are better than iPhone 6s. Please explain your ignorant comment. Microsoft phones have always been priced very competitive compared to the company that features an apple on the front.

And always failed to sell well...iphone 6s on paper has lower specs in RAM and CPU. Graphics power on the iphone is on the top. And still works flawlessly and sells like hotcake. Why? because it has a good ecosystem behind, a good design and engineering team that make much fewer mistakes than MS's. it has beautiful apps, updated some of them on a weekly basis, it has support from carriers, eve MS's services and apps work and look better on an iphone or android device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)