Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
So from a photo and preview OS, you have made a decision?? At least wait until the devices have been released before you head for the exit.... Incredible!!!!

Yes from my previous experience with MS, from photos which in case of other flagships, look good, even in leaked renders, and from a beta OS that is close to finish line and is still a joke! Design is simply out of place, and lags, is no longer fluid as 8 and 8.1 were. I could have gone past the horrible design, and waited for a 950XL but with 8.1 on it, not 10 :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
To all people woried about lack of colour options.. Chinese manufacturers will make most probably replacement in various colours after a month or two. At least for my 735 there are options of colours which aren't original, like yellow.
Maybe even MSFT will have replacement covers in different colours.
Few bucks up and down when you already can spend like 500-700 euros aren't a big deal.

And also, while it sounds crazy, having colourful options may have do the bad thing to sales. Phones looked different
and striking,and fact is, while we appreciatethat,most of people don't want that and like to be part of massesand not to feel different. I think that is what is changed, MSFT is targeting masses, not fans like you and me anymore.

That saying, theu should have gone with metal design if they wanted masses...

Personally, I'm torn between positive and negative about design, like it and don't. I like whote much more than black. Will see how it is executed, I like glossy white of 640 but don't like matte on 640 xl, but at same time xl's design looks much better to me.
Will see, for sure I won't buy them until their second hand price,is below 200euros xD

This is true, but sometimes they might not fit :( It seems safer to go with the OEM colors. I learned this the hard way.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I like it a lot! I currently have a 830, and can't wait for the 950/950XL to be relased for sale so I can get my hands on a flagship again. Had a 930 before the 830, and to be honest I think it was to heavy and thick. I'm also not a fan of the elevated/curved glass on the screen. It's just a gimmick design thing and brought no real value.
The on screen keys doesn't bother me that much, but I would prefer at least one hardware button for accessing the startmenu. The only thing I miss from my IPhone days is that button. Apple did a great job with that.

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm laughing at the people saying these aren't flagships. The specs on these phones are awesome, and the polycarbonate design, as much as you hate it, allows for a replaceable battery, SD card support and (less importantly) wireless charging.
A bit more than 32GB of storage wouldn't hurt as some other flagships have much more than that, but from that to saying these are mid range devices, there's a long way.
In terms of design, I prefer the 950XL, the camera on the back looks a lot better than the 950's, but they're both nice. From my experience with the 640 though, holding the device is much better than just seeing it.

rastislav.maskal

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I think MS Mobile division managers are stupid or thay want definitive buried into the ground whole mobile division. They have so many beauty renders for new flagship for example: 1420736160_lumia-1530-concept-microsoft-needs-to-build-this-469341-2.jpg

and thay finally comes with ugly cheap looking phone which is very similar to Lumia 530 which cost few bucks...

I'm big MS fan, but so ugly phone i never buy!!!
Maybe OEM producers like XIAOMI, ALCATEL, ASUS make much nicer phone...

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
They are awfully plain looking phones and coupled with no color choices automatically relegates them as midrange. I've kind of lost interest in mobile phones and just use them for communication lately. I'm not sure what to do. There is nothing exciting on horizon. We need Nokia back.

Don_Gangsta

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you, The lumia 950 and 950xl look like a toy phone rejects. The chrome ring on the back of the 950 looks horribly ugly. The front of the both phones look really plane. They look like nothing. Definitely not flagship worthy.
The specs offered are perfect but I wouldn't buy a phone that doesn't provide an impact at First impressions.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Just like the iphone has a wide variety of colors to choose from. They finally introduced a rose gold.

As stated earlier. These clearly are flagships. I don't know how often can repeat this before it finally sinks in. These specs are awesome... apple probably wont introduce these types of specs in their phones for another year or two.

When apple comes out with a Continuum type option... people are going to go crazy, saying it's revolutionary and that apple was the first one to do such a thing like nfc.

History repeats itself.

With almost the same specs, I'm still leaning towards the 950. I'll most likely end up getting a case since that's what I do when I get a new phone. Who knows, I'll probably use the chrome ring to reflect sunlight into people's eyes.

mythos13: how does not having other color choices automatically relegate them as midrange? I'd like to see midrange phones beat those specs.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
950 is ugly
950 xl doesn't look as premium as I'd like. I'll hang onto my 930 until next year I guess. It's either that or getting a note 5 :|

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd like it if they advise that you can have other colours and also a metal back. May have to lose qi, but well worth giving the option.

Brian Callen

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
To those who think the 950 / 950 XL do not represent flagship devices and or think they look ugly! What features would make these flagship phones in your eyes. What would you like the phone to look like?

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
To those who think the 950 / 950 XL do not represent flagship devices and or think they look ugly! What features would make these flagship phones in your eyes. What would you like the phone to look like?

I would like a phone that felt as premium and awesome as the 1020 when it first came out. The full PureView camera, the screen, the 3 microphones, the camera grip, the image stabilization and Xenon flash made this the best device in the world at that time. I don't think any other WP device has been in the top 10 let alone best since the 1020. I miss those days. Throwing a bunch of highend components into a bland phone without any cohesive design like the 1020 did does not make a flagship. A flagship has to be well thought out and engineered to be a flagship. Every component of the 1020 was selected to be part of a multimedia flagship like we haven't seen since--the Nokia design mythos is something I surely miss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon