Lumia 950/950XL flagships design - like it or not?

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
folks I own a Verizon Nokia Lumia 928 and it's a good Windows smart phone but the design is plain industrial go to the web sites that show a picture of the lumia 928 and compare it to the MS lumia 950
and you will agree the MS designed lumia 950 is better looking than the Nokia Lumia 928. I have a
nice black case on my lumia 928 and it looks good baby. if people do the same with the MS Lumia 950 which appears to have a slightly curved screen from the latest photos it will look good too

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
In our days, a flagship phones became also fashion accessories to most of us.
Must be with best specs and functionality but also and maybe must important - the look. The design. Thats why also flagships are also most expensive in their producer line.
You speak about specs. What is best? We have SD808 and Sd810 a lot of devices out there. Check!
Not to mentioned thst this phone will came earliest in end of October, but most probably some in November. Even now this CPU isn't something WOW, exept with overheating issues. Check!
Functionality - i hope to be at least on par with Windows mobile 8.1, but till now the Windows 10 is chunkymand slow. A lot of crashes and the time is running. Too many things must be fixed. Check!
You like comparisons with cars. Ok. Let me make one for you - imagine a midranged Opel Astra from beginning of 21 century with all extras from last years and latest BMW engine ON THE PRICE OF LAST BMW MODEL. Did you got it?
Check!

"In our days, a flagship phones became also fashion accessories to most of us." No argument there, except that fashion is subjective. You don't like the design of the new Lumia 950's, we all get it; you think the design is uninspiring, ugly or not worthy of a flagship... but just because you think it is, doesn't make it so. Many people including myself like the design as is and others don't care. Design is subjective.

"Must be with best specs and functionality but also and maybe must important - the look. The design. Thats why also flagships are also most expensive in their producer line." I disagree with you when you say the look is maybe most important. As I said before, the look of a design is subjective. One man's treasure is another man's garbage and vice-versa. As far as the rest of this statement, it sounds like you agree with the definition of flagship that I provided.

"You speak about specs. What is best? We have SD808 and Sd810 a lot of devices out there. Check!" Yes, a lot of devices have the SD808 and SD810 out there. As a matter of fact, Google introduced their new Nexus' with those same chips just a week ago. What is your point?

"Not to mentioned thst this phone will came earliest in end of October, but most probably some in November. Even now this CPU isn't something WOW, exept with overheating issues. Check!" As far as timing of the product's release to the public please refer to my comment about the Google Nexus' above. As far as the CPU: So you're not impressed with the best CPU's from Qualcomm? Does Qualcomm have a better chip than the SD810 right now that I'm not aware of? Because if they do, I would like for you to provide me with that info. If a manufacturer of processors doesn't have a CPU that will "wow" you now, then neither will Microsoft.

"Functionality - i hope to be at least on par with Windows mobile 8.1, but till now the Windows 10 is chunkymand slow. A lot of crashes and the time is running. Too many things must be fixed. Check!" Until now Windows 10 has been and still is beta software (I'm assuming you meant Windows 10 for mobile). Yes, there are many things that must be fixed; that's the whole point of beta software! I really can't believe that you are comparing finished software with beta software, let alone expecting the beta to be as good as the finished product :confused:. I actually have nothing more to say about that.

"You like comparisons with cars. Ok. Let me make one for you - imagine a midranged Opel Astra from beginning of 21 century with all extras from last years and latest BMW engine ON THE PRICE OF LAST BMW MODEL. Did you got it?
Check!" No I didn't get it. Honestly, I didn't understand at all what you were trying to say here.

It's OK that you don't like the look of these new flagships. Many people don't, many do and many don't care. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

Last edited:

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Unless Windows10 comes to the 1520, I won't even think about buying the 950XL.

I hope Microsoft doesn't disappoint us 1520 users by not giving us Windows10. Why would I buy the 950XL if I have Windows10, for one power of the XL, second continuum. If not; I'll go to Android in the future.

I assume Microsoft will make an announcement on this, either on Tuesday Oct 6, or within the next thirty days on the final decision.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Unless Windows10 comes to the 1520, I won't even think about buying the 950XL.

I hope Microsoft doesn't disappoint us 1520 users by not giving us Windows10. Why would I buy the 950XL if I have Windows10, for one power of the XL, second continuum. If not; I'll go to Android in the future.

I assume Microsoft will make an announcement on this, either on Tuesday Oct 6, or within the next thirty days on the final decision.

The 1520 (along with a dozen other Lumias) was announced months ago as receiving W10.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Some smocks on this forum believe otherwise, and are strongly convinced that 1520 users won't get the upgrade to the official Windows10.
americans most likely, as long as you have a real unlocked lumia there's no need to worry, and it doesn't matter anyway you can use insiders preview and be done with it

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
americans most likely, as long as you have a real unlocked lumia there's no need to worry, and it doesn't matter anyway you can use insiders preview and be done with it

That is what they mentioned as well; you can use the insider preview, I brought up that, probably like many, they want to install the official Windows10 Mobile. Locked users may be restricted from the Official Windows10 ? Americans HaHaHa :)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
insider preview?? what if one wants the official, public release????? insider preview will one day start to deliver preview builds..what then??? stop saying this app is the answer!! because it's not.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
That is what they mentioned as well; you can use the insider preview, I brought up that, probably like many, they want to install the official Windows10 Mobile. Locked users may be restricted from the Official Windows10 ? Americans HaHaHa :)

"official" huh, coming from a carrier? yea right... I could bet the house on insider previews being more "official" than what an American carrier might give you

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
insider preview?? what if one wants the official, public release????? insider preview will one day start to deliver preview builds..what then??? stop saying this app is the answer!! because it's not.

Just like Windows 10 preview, W10M preview will release the RTM version, probably earlier than "official" RTM from carriers.

jamiept

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
IMO. Once again, IMO:

The designs are not amazing. They are not head-turning, "ooh, that's a nice phone" designs. They do not bring on an impulse buy response, for me.

NOR are they ugly. There are much uglier phones out there. Much uglier.

What will REALLY sell these phones is the experience of using Windows 10. The day to day experience; the speed of navigating the UI, the speed of transition between holding the camera button to taking a photo. All these things combined.

The specs of these phones really help sell them too. You can own one of these phones and be very happy in the knowledge that you have a very modern spec phone. 20MP camera is fantastic for a smartphone. 3GB ram. Hexa or Octa core CPU. These are damn good specs. Damn good.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The 950XL is powerful, I'd like to hold one in my hand before buying.

The 950XL is the new flagship, I guess combined with the 1520 they make a quite a duo :)

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Even though I much prefer the design of the Lumia 920 and Lumia 1520 by far, I'm sure that I would "get used to" the 950 / 950XL for actual use. If they feel good to hold, work well, and offer a substantial camera upgrade (it'll at least be much better for low light) over the 1520, I'd be happy with it. The Lumia 920 was my dream phone that I couldn't get due to carrier exclusivity, I settled for the ATIV S at the time, and even though it was a "round corner" phone, I ended up quite happy with it, other than the camera.

All that said, I'll hope that we see a return to fabula design language for the next series of flagship devices next year. I would love to see the eventual Snapdragon 820 phone look like a thinner Lumia 920 with a 6" display. For now, I love the look of my yellow Lumia 1520, and no Microsoft Mobile phone has yet to look as good.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
IMO. Once again, IMO:

The designs are not amazing. They are not head-turning, "ooh, that's a nice phone" designs. They do not bring on an impulse buy response, for me.

NOR are they ugly. There are much uglier phones out there. Much uglier.

What will REALLY sell these phones is the experience of using Windows 10. The day to day experience; the speed of navigating the UI, the speed of transition between holding the camera button to taking a photo. All these things combined.

The specs of these phones really help sell them too. You can own one of these phones and be very happy in the knowledge that you have a very modern spec phone. 20MP camera is fantastic for a smartphone. 3GB ram. Hexa or Octa core CPU. These are damn good specs. Damn good.

...until MS decides again to restart the OS and you end up with a phone not being anymore supported...no thank you MS

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Now based on some hands-on I saw from several news sites, the 950 and 950 XL are indeed praised a lot with its Continuum and Iris Scanner (though no demo unfortunately). But now I also realized that barely anybody praised its looks (also I don't think they will bash it, they normally don't try to speak about much negatives on the event). Other's just takes them to look like 640 and others find it "fine" with rather reluctant or underwhelming tone.

This is rather not good first impression in terms of looks since that could be a barrier before consumers even know the awesomeness of the features and specs of the devices. Looks like I have to wait for some reviews on some sites who are bit 'neutral', especially someone who reviewed Lumia phones a lot.

Interesting though, there are 3rd-party cases (unfortunately not from Microsoft) which features different materials which is nice. Not sure yet how they will look like exactly with phones, but at least it will spice up from the blandness of these new flagships. The problem with 3rd-party casings is that they won't be available everywhere, so lucky for some other people while the rest will left with no choices.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

lol you're a funny dude, consider this, what you call "official" is actually the same RTM build that ms sends to us insiders and then to their factory unlocked devices, packed with carrier bloatware and whatnot, arbitrary limitations, possible interference with microsoft's software, wifi hotspot function locked maybe? you name it

from this reference I'm certain one can easily understand the situation, and acknowledge that insider's RTM build is the official update, while carrier branded phones receive a modified version, not in the best interests of the costumer, just like that windows UE thing from XP days, or Lenovo laptops and their truckload of bloatware and OS mods

if that's not the answer for you well that's sad bro.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
lol you're a funny dude, consider this, what you call "official" is actually the same RTM build that ms sends to us insiders and then to their factory unlocked devices, packed with carrier bloatware and whatnot, arbitrary limitations, possible interference with microsoft's software, wifi hotspot function locked maybe? you name it

from this reference I'm certain one can easily understand the situation, and acknowledge that insider's RTM build is the official update, while carrier branded phones receive a modified version, not in the best interests of the costumer, just like that windows UE thing from XP days, or Lenovo laptops and their truckload of bloatware and OS mods

if that's not the answer for you well that's sad bro.

you are missing the point like many others!! I am not talking about the RTM build. after the RTM build, someday, the insider app will deliver a newer preview build for insiders. If then, someone with still 8.1 on his phone wants to update to Windows 10, how can he/she do that to the RTM build and not the newer beta build?? At least read and understand before making a comment...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb