The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-30-2015 06:34 AM
86 ... 234
tools
    A design more towards Samsung's design aesthetic would catch the eye of a large group of consumers who shop by "looks". Having said that, I am interested in the 950 XL but would like to see the 2 offerings pictured next to a 920 and 1520 to get a sense of size prior to purchasing. I am running Win 10 Mobile on my 920 and I am hoping that the icons receive a design makeover for launch, perhaps a more aero style.
    09-28-2015 11:35 AM
    Maybe the camera matters very little to most of you, but it has always mattered to me. In fact, ANYTHING that can be topped by the competition matters to me. Microsoft completely let this die once they got Lumia from Nokia. Design-wise, Microsoft also collapsed under the complaints by all you who insisted on removable batteries and storage cards. This meant that what I have always felt was the Lumina line's BEST design choices were seen in the 900 and 1020 types. I love the solid feel and colorful options of polycarb and I hate metal or cheaper plastics. I have a 635 for testing and it feels like junk (and performs like junk, too). Any of the devices with removable backs look and feel like cheap toys. And the rest of the specs of the 950 & 950XL are nothing to write home about... they aren't any better than the competition. Finally, Windows 10 is horrible by any measure. Yes, yes, yes, yes, I understand it's only a tech preview right now, but the design choices are horrible compared to WP8.1 and nothing works well. I see "loading" and "resuming" at nearly every turn and Cortana, which I rely on extensively on my 1020, I can't even bear to USE on Win10Mobile. What, exactly, is there to look forward to?
    09-28-2015 03:23 PM
    Maybe the camera matters very little to most of you, but it has always mattered to me. In fact, ANYTHING that can be topped by the competition matters to me. Microsoft completely let this die once they got Lumia from Nokia. Design-wise, Microsoft also collapsed under the complaints by all you who insisted on removable batteries and storage cards. This meant that what I have always felt was the Lumina line's BEST design choices were seen in the 900 and 1020 types. I love the solid feel and colorful options of polycarb and I hate metal or cheaper plastics. I have a 635 for testing and it feels like junk (and performs like junk, too). Any of the devices with removable backs look and feel like cheap toys. And the rest of the specs of the 950 & 950XL are nothing to write home about... they aren't any better than the competition. Finally, Windows 10 is horrible by any measure. Yes, yes, yes, yes, I understand it's only a tech preview right now, but the design choices are horrible compared to WP8.1 and nothing works well. I see "loading" and "resuming" at nearly every turn and Cortana, which I rely on extensively on my 1020, I can't even bear to USE on Win10Mobile. What, exactly, is there to look forward to?
    I respect your opinions.

Speaking only for myself, I'm looking forward to hearing about continuum. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take PureView (it's an all-new sensor, so I'm hopeful for improvements). I'm looking forward to trying out Windows 10 (buggy or not, it's going to be a new experience to try out). I'm looking forward to seeing how (or if) Microsoft has managed to tame the SD810. I'm looking forward to a phablet that isn't quite so large as the L1520 (which was just a tad too big to be comfortable). I'm looking forward to the flexibility that comes with choosing something other than a unibody design--one that isn't glass or aluminum. I'm looking forward to MS taking this step (any step?) forward because the last 18 months has been (largely speaking) a wasteland of low-end offerings (the 640XL was excellent, however).

I don't think a lot of people will agree with me on all these things. But, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm actually looking forward to more things than even I thought.
    peachy001 likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:07 PM
    Still waiting for the press conference :)
    JoyfullJuneBug likes this.
    09-29-2015 02:29 AM
    I wanted to add that about the 950 and 950 XL design is that they're too much akin to some Android phones already existed in the market, worse is that many of them are from midrange to some rather localized Android brands.

androidguruz-phones.jpggionee-m2.jpgkarbonn-a9-.jpgmicromax-bolt-smartphones-lowest-price-list.jpgmicromax-unite-2-a1061.jpgmyphone-rio-craze-orange.jpg

This is why I'm also disappointed with the new design as if they stopped trying to give uniqueness to Lumia brand and became just another phone in the market. Specs of these devices are respectable while Continuum and Iris Scanner is a features that something to talk about, it remains to be seen. I can see at least Continuum will be the primary thing to get these devices, but the problem is that its not a primary factor for consumers also. Smartphones are very personal devices, that's why design plays a big role here even we put cases on it.

Now we'll really see after these devices arrived on stores and how people and reviews will react to these. Will these devices makes Lumia popular, its remains to be seen but for me, no. Unless they push massive marketing, then regardless of what it looks or how useful the features, marketing will save these phones.
    09-29-2015 08:31 AM
    At a point, all of these phones (in general) start to look the same, so I don't get the above comment...
    09-29-2015 08:33 AM
    Well that's the point. Those images shares pretty similar design theme which 950 and 950 XL also now follows. It doesn't have to be exactly similar down to every detail but they're now closely related. Even though we say in general phones looks similar, well of course that's the after effect of touchscreen smartphones these days that glass is dominant at the front. That doesn't mean there is no way to make unique looks, there is still countless of ways possible. Lumia of old for example isn't really close with these images above.

They're not that bad for me, but I think this is another factor where the issue comes from. I've seen and held some of those phones which is why I share them here since they share now to upcoming Lumia flagship.

So yeah, indeed the phone start to look the same including Lumia 950 and 950 XL with these phones. Here is the comparison:
    untitled.pnggionee-m2.jpg
    09-29-2015 08:56 AM
    At a point, all of these phones (in general) start to look the same, so I don't get the above comment...
    Yeah, the only way I'm going to get a new phone is if its triangular, not rectangular like all the other lemmings.
    09-29-2015 08:58 AM
    I would liken those Android designs more like the 500 series before I'd call that a 950. Sure, they carry a flat front and rounded design, but there's more to it than that.

When I hold a 530 at the Microsoft Store, I think of it as a very round and fat phone. That's what the Android compared looks like to me: round and fat. The 950XL, for one, is looking to be crazy thin, which gives a premium effect to it, especially in the perception of current consumers. Also, the squared back edges give off a sharp styling and I liken that to Lumia models like the 930, 640XL, and 830. Finally, you have to factor in the camera modules. I absolutely loved the execution on the 830 because it gives an aggressive look and signals that the phone camera is more than just there to be there. Same idea with the 1020.

Yeah, the phones share a flat back. But it's also the composition of everything on that flat back that give off an impression of what's inside. Don't get me wrong, at first I was seriously mixed about the 950 designs, but as we see them more I'm starting to understand why some things are the way they are. I understand people may want sharper corners on this, but I envision it in my head and see this looking like a big 435. This is all opinion, of course.
    Last edited by fitchalcyone; 09-29-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    09-29-2015 01:36 PM
    I would liken those Android designs more like the 500 series before I'd call that a 950. Sure, they carry a flat front and rounded design, but there's more to it than that.

When I hold a 530 at the Microsoft Store, I think of it as a very round and fat phone. That's what the Android compared looks like to me: round and fat. The 950XL, for one, is looking to be crazy thin, which gives a premium effect to it, especially in the perception of current consumers. Also, the squared back edges give off a sharp styling and I liken that to Lumia models like the 930, 640XL, and 830. Finally, you have to factor in the camera modules. I absolutely loved the execution on the 830 because it gives an aggressive look and signals that the phone camera is more than just there to be there. Same idea with the 1020.

Yeah, the phones share a flat back. But it's also the composition of everything on that flat back that give off an impression of what's inside. Don't get me wrong, at first I was seriously mixed about the 950 designs, but as we see them more I'm starting to understand why some things are the way they are. I understand people may want sharper corners on this, but I envision it in my head and see this looking like a big 435. This is all opinion, of course.
    Totally disagree with you.
    I've current 930, 1020 as backup also 808 and lot more Nokia before, like N8 etc.
    N8 was genuinely designed phone. Adonised aluminum with unthinkable for that time 12MP module with 3x lossless zoom. Extremely durable from personal experience. Then came the photo monster 808. No words for the camera, but Symbian was dead anyway. Still have it when i get out with the family.
    Then came 1020. Camera ok, not like 808 but better sound recording on video. But this hump!!! If you ever use 1020 you'll know what pain in the a$$ is this protruding module. You can put it on the table to look video in landscape, because of the hump is stsying unnaturally tilted. In the hands is the same. Looks awful as a design. Yes. Extremely durable, like my N8 before that.
    Then came the beauty 930. Gorgeous design. Even my friends and colleagues with iPhone 5 on that time looked envy on my 930. But was without glance screen. And extremly slow shooting photos! Lets admit that. Maybe one of the slowest shooting phone on the market.
    Since then i'm waiting for the next flagship. A lot of time pass. And...
    Microsoft came up with this abomination. A front of 640 and the back of 830 in one shape. Ugly and predictable.
    To those that speak against metal body - if you had N8 before, you'll know how durable and comfotable aluminum body can be. The polycarbonated body, showed on the leaked pictures does nothing in common with durability of 1020. It is much cheaper look and i'm convinced feel too. For what i need replaceble battery? I had it on my 808 but nevrr used it. Yes, micro sd is needed, but there are a lot of variants with metal or thicker polycarbonate body. This is cheap look. There is no wow, no sexy, no interest.
    When I'm buying a phone, there must be few things: very good camera, excellent design and functionality. Windows 8.1 was very functional for me, but windows 10 preview is lagging and very unstable till now. How they will fix it till end of October, when must launch official windows 10 devices? Hope to succeed, but definitely will NOT buy such brick looking lowend device.
    Look at Huawei P8. Looks gorgeous in black with 64GB and sd card, that's a presence. So pity that is android...
    09-30-2015 03:28 AM
    Same, I thought they looked ok in the initial renders and think they look slightly better in the press slides. would like to see them and hold them to make my final judgement though.
    09-30-2015 06:34 AM
86 ... 234