Reasons I think I'll enjoy the new breed of Lumias (950 and 950 XL)?

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Reasons I think I'll enjoy the new breed of Lumias (950 and 950 XL)

Between the renders and leaks I have seen on this site and elsewhere, and the hatred spewing in the community as evidenced in the comments section/forums against the soon to be revealed 950 and 950XL (yeah..in less than a week! Whoot!), as a relatively silent member (religiously following it since 2011) of this community, I'd like to say that I am very eagerly awaiting to see the revel and the release of 950 and 950XL. I am sure I will get one of them as soon as it is released.
To get it out of the way, as a personal preference I would have liked the 950 to be a little smaller in dimensions (4.5' screen size), as it is handy.

I think I'll enjoy this new breed of Lumia like nothing before, for the following unique reasons:

A: Gorgeous screen with probably Nokia's Clear Black Display and Glance. If you see the renders, there looks to be a protective rim around the screen, which is extremely helpful in preventing scratches when you keep the phone face down.

B: The subtle curve to the back cover (like that of HTC One series, and unlike the God of all phones, the iPhone) which would make it great to hold the phone in hand.

C: As a photography enthusiast, there is no other phone that rivals the optics and software of the Lumia, and having Zeiss lens speaks for itself. The OIS, I hope, has been refined over the years by the Nokia engineers and could rival the OIS used in the iPhone X series (which is only a year old).

D: Live tiles. PERIOD. Nothing more to be said.

E: Continuum: The fact that you can take your phone with you anywhere and (with the help of a tiny gadget) get a PC experience out of it, totally blows my mind.

F: Cortana: she is deeply integrated and not a mere app.

G: (Probably) the presence of HAAC mics on a phone which in itself is absolutely crazy!

H: Not to forget the Super sensitive touch. Never seen a recent phone invention as useful as this. Totally underrated feature of high end Lumias.

I: The software refinements down the road with the probability of exploding tiles on long press (the latter is more of a wish).

I am sure if I sit back and think for a few hours I can come up with many more. But, this is it. Feel free to add more, if you think of any.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Reasons I think I'll enjoy the new breed of Lumias (950 and 950 XL)

Not everything you listed is unique to 950 or 950 XL. People can go away, buy a 930 for cheaper and get almost all of these features barring continuum.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Agree.. But they are unique to Lumias. And people seem to forget these when they compare lumias to Apples and Galaxys & threaten to abandon the ship; move elsewhere .. ;)

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully I'll be able to get a hands on look at one soon. My regular taxi fare has flown out for the event in October. Hopefully, upon his return on the 8th, I will get a look at his new 'company' toy, and hopefully, his 1520 will be rehomed 😁😁

I must admit, the renders, if accurate, hint at a really nice device, with decent specs. What will be frustrating though, is this...

IF, they were Droid based, they would fly out, especially if priced right. I use a 640xl, and I wouldn't have hesitated to buy a similar phone running android. Quad core, huge screen, responsive and 4G for around ?150!!

It's great that we have new toys to play with, but, and it's a well known but, there is a stigma attached to WP, somewhat wrongly, but as we all know, it shouldn't apply. Hopefully continuum will go some way to addressing a few of the issues. The one I've come across is 'If it's windows 8.1 / 10, can you use It like a computer'. Bang there goes another potential user.

So, yes it's nice to have new models, but how the hell do you sell them? People are blinded by bendy iPhones and continually rehashed android devices with poor system management? Most of the banks in the UK are pushing apple pay constantly in ads, so how does MS sell new devices against this sort of all out brainwashing by apple. The android tag line of be together, not the same is a bit of a misnomer, and fools just jump into it. No matter what you are running it is all the same android underneath.

Anyways, apologies for the ramble. Great new devices, but how are they going to shift them??

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I think they are pretty good phones, and I hope you can make a sort of review when you have one. However, I prefer the design of the X30 series (I have a Lumia 830). But what I think it could be the worst of these phones (and I hope I'm wrong) is that they will only be available in black or white. If you look back, phones have always been black or white. But when the Lumias came, more and more manufactures started to add more colors like red, blue, etc. I love my orange phone and I hope the lumias don't lose their living colors.
Apart from that, awesome phones.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Lol!! I love the garish colours of the Windows 'family'. I'm a young 46 and loved my bright orange 640!! My kids have all got bright green ones!

It's nice to be different 😎 (although my 640xl is currently black. Boring!)

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Lol!! I love the garish colours of the Windows 'family'. I'm a young 46 and loved my bright orange 640!! My kids have all got bright green ones!

It's nice to be different �� (although my 640xl is currently black. Boring!)

lol... I get what you are saying. Although I prefer black; the black phones just fade away into the background and let the screen pop up while using the phone, IMO

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Someone will make aftermarket colored snap on backs for these I'm sure. That's one of the best parts of the lumia phones is the easy snap on backs. Much prefer to the non removable backs of iPhones and samsung etc.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Someone will make aftermarket colored snap on backs for these I'm sure. That's one of the best parts of the lumia phones is the easy snap on backs. Much prefer to the non removable backs of iPhones and samsung etc.

Absolutely right! Or Microsoft themselves would make them. I think Dan mentioned it somewhere...
Plus the removable back means hiding the micro SD expandable storage and SIM underneath rather than having it on the sides and use pins to pry open.. :) ergo clean edges..

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

What I'm really looking for are the Iris scanner and the much better quality of camera. I'm waiting till my 1520 is 2 years old and then make a replacement. Seriously, after being so spoiled by it, I don't think I can ever go with a phone which is not a high-end big screen Lumia.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

You missed a very important* feature of the latest lumias: The iris scanner for windows hello which is another unique feature to the new lumias.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

The boarder around the screen of 950 reminds me of my most loved phone, the nokia xpressmusic 5800!! (with stylus, handwriting and god sent stereo speakers)
Aaah, memories! :D

I'm completely with you on what you said above.
In my opinion the 950 looks very good. I particularly like the ring on the back because it reminds me of digital cameras (you know, the older once without optical zoom) :D
Yeah, I'm a nostalgic dude :p

The two devices, from the renders, look organic, solid and nicely proportioned.
They are not the bling-bling phones that every manufacturer tries to make but are the one that you'll blend in with the crowd, and don't feel like as a single drop will bring the end of this world!
In other words, use it without caring that much, you know, as you did with every single previous lumia :p

It certainly isn't for the once that want to show of their material wealth on social media and cafeterias, so it won't have huge sales, but it will fit like a glove with every single ''regular'' person that wants a powerhouse in sheep's clothes.
Sorry luxurious dudes, but this phone is for the doers :p ( damn, I want to hear this sentence in the event next week! )

And I will say START SCREEN (with live tiles, etc..), like you said.
I never thought this thing since I've got my first WP, but there is nothing like it out there, BY A LONG SHOT!
Especially with W10m and the background image.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

You missed a very important* feature of the latest lumias: The iris scanner for windows hello which is another unique feature to the new lumias.

Duh! How did I miss that!!! Of course, it is... thanks...

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

The boarder around the screen of 950 reminds me of my most loved phone, the nokia xpressmusic 5800!! (with stylus, handwriting and god sent stereo speakers)
Aaah, memories! :D

I'm completely with you on what you said above.
In my opinion the 950 looks very good. I particularly like the ring on the back because it reminds me of digital cameras (you know, the older once without optical zoom) :D
Yeah, I'm a nostalgic dude :p

The two devices, from the renders, look organic, solid and nicely proportioned.
They are not the bling-bling phones that every manufacturer tries to make but are the one that you'll blend in with the crowd, and don't feel like as a single drop will bring the end of this world!
In other words, use it without caring that much, you know, as you did with every single previous lumia :p

It certainly isn't for the once that want to show of their material wealth on social media and cafeterias, so it won't have huge sales, but it will fit like a glove with every single ''regular'' person that wants a powerhouse in sheep's clothes.
Sorry luxurious dudes, but this phone is for the doers :p ( damn, I want to hear this sentence in the event next week! )

And I will say START SCREEN (with live tiles, etc..), like you said.
I never thought this thing since I've got my first WP, but there is nothing like it out there, BY A LONG SHOT!
Especially with W10m and the background image.

Thank you.. You are absolutely right and spot on! I had a black Lumia 925 up until last month, when I dropped it, and it broke only because someone else stepped on it. I have been using my old iPhone 4S since and can't wait to go back to using WP. I miss live tiles the most and then Cortana.

wpceej989

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Are you certain that they are putting in the super sensitive touch and the glance stuff?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Are you certain that they are putting in the super sensitive touch and the glance stuff?

Glance has been confirmed by Windows Central's very own editor in chief Daniel Rubino.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

The glass on this thing will be gorgeous. It is a pure front glass. There's no bezel sticking out the sides or top. The case wraps into the glass from behind. So it's going to look spectacular in person.

lumia-950-xl-store-1.jpg

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

More RAM and modern CPUs will make this the fastest Lumia to date. Having a super responsive web browsing experience will be nice.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm also hoping for a return to having the best camera on a general purpose smartphone. I hope the video recording gets a lot better especially and they have overcome that seeking focus mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss