950XL and 950 on Verizon

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
All the latest rumors point to an unlocked device being sold by Microsoft direct - does anyone think that they will have a CDMA LTE version that works on Verizon's network? I currently have unlimited data, and I don't really want to give it up if I don't have to. If the device is unlocked, does that mean that I can pop a Verizon sim card in it (from my Icon), and off I go?

Any incite would be much appreciated.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All the latest rumors point to an unlocked device being sold by Microsoft direct - does anyone think that they will have a CDMA LTE version that works on Verizon's network? I currently have unlimited data, and I don't really want to give it up if I don't have to. If the device is unlocked, does that mean that I can pop a Verizon sim card in it (from my Icon), and off I go?

Any incite would be much appreciated.

I'm not confident they'll do that, but I suppose its possible a la iPhone or Nexus 6.

For almost all devices, being unlocked and non-Verizon means it isn't going to work with Verizon, period. VZW's network is 1. CDMA, which is a different tech 2. the network's whitelisted I think

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not confident they'll do that, but I suppose its possible a la iPhone or Nexus 6.

For almost all devices, being unlocked and non-Verizon means it isn't going to work with Verizon, period. VZW's network is 1. CDMA, which is a different tech 2. the network's whitelisted I think

I sincerely hope that your wrong. Not releasing their flagship phones to the nations largest carrier is a continued path towards failure......I mean, the Icon probably didn't sell that well (my guess is that it's in the 100's of thousands at most), but the fact that it was exclusive to Verizon left out half the country, and now they are going to do it again.........

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I sincerely hope that your wrong. Not releasing their flagship phones to the nations largest carrier is a continued path towards failure......I mean, the Icon probably didn't sell that well (my guess is that it's in the 100's of thousands at most), but the fact that it was exclusive to Verizon left out half the country, and now they are going to do it again.........

Well as you yourself said, the flagship Lumia WP device they carried probably didn't sell well (along with other OEM flagships) so they aren't really missing out on many sales by not being on Verizon. I think its been proven beyond a doubt that being on Verizon isn't any kind of panacea for the lackluster sales of WP devices in the US so its not really a valid argument anymore to say skipping Verizon will lead to failure. .

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
From my understanding, it's the chipset that actually supports CDMA and/or GSM. The Qualcomm SD808 and 810 both support CDMA, so I'm thinking it should work on Verizon. But what do I know.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, it's the chipset that actually supports CDMA and/or GSM. The Qualcomm SD808 and 810 both support CDMA, so I'm thinking it should work on Verizon. But what do I know.

Even if the "Unlocked phones" have CDMA support, it DOES not mean Verizon WILL activate it.......or that it will support the CDMA OR LTE freq on VZW's network.

This is a big question but, like other models, the GSM model will hit (AT&T, TMOUS, etc) and MAYBE a few months down the line Verizon MIGHT get it..

The ICON was a flagship but, they only had it out for a short time before they killed it off, so not understanding that one but, it could mean they don't have an interest in a high end WP device.

All in all, they are a partner with Microsoft, they do carry current WP devices (the M8 is called a high end model), so there is a few maybes in there...

Only Verizon and Microsoft knows at this point...

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the insiders on these forums believes that the phones will work on Verizon's cdma network. I for one am hoping that is true or I will have to do some serious thinking about my next move. Thankfully I love my icon which is a fantastic device!

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
One of the insiders on these forums believes that the phones will work on Verizon's cdma network. I for one am hoping that is true or I will have to do some serious thinking about my next move. Thankfully I love my icon which is a fantastic device!

Doesn't matter if they will work on the network, Verizon has to register the phones on their network and they won't. There are a few unlocked phones you can use but that's because they're just unlocked versions of phones they already sell.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter if they will work on the network, Verizon has to register the phones on their network and they won't. There are a few unlocked phones you can use but that's because they're just unlocked versions of phones they already sell.

As I said originally, the Verizon insider said that the phones would work on the network and that Verizon would allow it. It appears now that he got this one wrong. I guess we will see if he's also wrong about Verizon getting a windows LG G4 and an HTC M9.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon was ambivalent about Windows Phone at best, openly hostile towards them at worst. It is certainly possible that Microsoft designed the phones to be operable on VZW's network, but they said no.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
How many threads do we need on this subject?

We know nothing, repeat... nothing, until the phones are available and the FCC documents are public.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05