It would have to use the Intel Atom x3. But I don't think it has enough performance to compete with the Apple A9 processor. If I were Microsoft, I would repeat what I did with Intel on the Hololens(custom holographic processor) and develop a custom piece of silicon that can compete with the A9. It not only needs to do what the A9 does, but one additional thing. An additional co-processor for Windows Hello that would allow the entire process to unlock the phone in < 1second. To me *that* is "bringing the thunder" like Panos is fond of saying. I don't see how he can do anything less then come onto a stage next spring to reveal "the ultimate smartphone" if it can't pip the iPhone in performance and capabilities. Sure it won't have the apps, but damn it can have hardware features(sans 3D Touch), maybe 3D tiles(McLaren)?
    10-10-2015 03:55 PM
    A tdp limited Skylake Core M3 plus an Intel LTE radio chip is the way to go.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-11-2015 11:41 AM
    A tdp limited Skylake Core M3 plus an Intel LTE radio chip is the way to go.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    No Skylake chip will ever be used for a smartphone. I am not convinced the Atom x3 will be used either. Maybe MS/Intel have something special up their sleeve.
    10-16-2015 12:39 AM
    No Skylake chip will ever be used for a smartphone. I am not convinced the Atom x3 will be used either. Maybe MS/Intel have something special up their sleeve.
    I just wish they go with a powerful enough chip so we could use continuum like a true boss.

Everything else is just a compromise. The tech is there, use it Microsoft
    10-16-2015 12:56 AM
    I just wish they go with a powerful enough chip so we could use continuum like a true boss.

Everything else is just a compromise. The tech is there, use it Microsoft
    Not if battery life is compromised. If a Surface Phone can't get all-day battery life, it's a no-go.
    10-17-2015 03:24 PM